IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:00 PM   #1
SuburbanTurkey

Delivering packages while black

Two white men tried to apprehend a Fedex driver who committed the grievous offense of being black and delivering a package, then chased his delivery van while shooting at him.

Quote:
Two arrests have been made in connection with a recent shooting in Brookhaven.

Gregory Charles Case of Brookhaven and his son Brandon Case each surrendered to Brookhaven Police Tuesday in the presence of their attorneys, BPD Chief Kenneth Collins said.

At approximately 7:30 p.m. Jan. 24, a delivery driver for FedEx was exiting the Case’s driveway on Junior Trail after making a delivery when Gregory Case used his pickup truck in an attempt to block the vehicle from exiting the drive, according to Collins.

The driver — who was in a FedEx uniform, driving a Hertz Rental truck with a FedEx vehicle magnet on it — maneuvered his vehicle through the grass onto the road to pass Case. Brandon Case was standing in the roadway with a handgun pointed at the driver of the vehicle. The FedEx employee continued past the younger case and fled the area, calling his manager as he did so.

Brandon Case then allegedly joined his father in the pickup and the two chased the delivery truck, with Brandon firing repeatedly at the truck. They pursued the truck until it entered Interstate 55 headed north toward the FedEx distribution center in Jackson.
Local police are taking the matter seriously and dealing with the root causes, which is mean tweets:

Quote:
“We’re not going to have outsiders coming in trying to stir that up,” he said. “Brookhaven is not a racist, prejudiced town. You can’t judge a town by the actions of two individuals.”

“People need to be careful what they post on social media,” Collins said. “If somebody is killed or hurt because of what you post on social media, you will be charged, too.”
https://www.dailyleader.com/2022/02/...-fedex-driver/
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:22 PM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

This isn't about racism, though. They get their packages delivered by UPS all the time, and their slogan is "What can brown do for you?"
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:25 PM   #3
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This isn't about racism, though. They get their packages delivered by UPS all the time, and their slogan is "What can brown do for you?"
Ouch.

-also said by FedEx driver while swerving in a hail of gunfire, probably

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:48 PM   #4
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Ouch.

-also said by FedEx driver while swerving in a hail of gunfire, probably
Can you imagine this though? There you are innocently delivering this dick heads "Don't Tread on Me" flag (I'm assuming) and the next thing you know you're being chased around the neighborhood while getting shot at.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:00 PM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

There have to be more details to this. It sounds ridiculous. Chasing after a delivery van and shooting at it? Insane. Of course, the way some tell it, this is just a typical day in the life for blacks. There are people who actually believe this.

As far as the tweets go, I think the Police Chief simply doesn't want any innocent citizens being harmed due to violence being incited on social media.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:03 PM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Can you imagine this though? There you are innocently delivering this dick heads "Don't Tread on Me" flag (I'm assuming) and the next thing you know you're being chased around the neighborhood while getting shot at.
The weirdest thing is that the guy driving the pickup cut him off to prevent the FedEx guy from leaving their driveway, and the other brother Daryl was out in the street, brandishing the handgun. It sounds like a freaking planned ambush.

Actually, the weirdest part is that the driver didn't call the police till the next morning. Guess this was just kind of a normal bad day? Normally when psychos open fire on me at work, the police are notified a tad sooner.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:05 PM   #7
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
There have to be more details to this. It sounds ridiculous. Chasing after a delivery van and shooting at it? Insane. Of course, the way some tell it, this is just a typical day in the life for blacks. There are people who actually believe this.
You do realize, an incident doesn't have to be typical to reflect a certain general attitude, right? If there are idiots willing to chase down a delivery van, I would expect there to be some range of behavior that others slightly less extreme might endorse.

But thanks for the hyperbolic strawman, you're always good for those.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Venom
Philosopher

As far as the tweets go, I think the Police Chief simply doesn't want any innocent citizens being harmed due to violence being incited on social media.
I mean when you see people like this exist in some cities in the South it may be less difficult to imagine they could do this unprovoked.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:10 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

The weirdest thing is that the guy driving the pickup cut him off to prevent the FedEx guy from leaving their driveway, and the other brother Daryl was out in the street, brandishing the handgun. It sounds like a freaking planned ambush.

Actually, the weirdest part is that the driver didn't call the police till the next morning. Guess this was just kind of a normal bad day? Normally when psychos open fire on me at work, the police are notified a tad sooner.
Yeah, I wonder if that has something to do with the manager. It looks like he was talking with the manager in real time. They had the MBI and the FBI involved in case of federal charges, but I'm not sure what those would be, though I could think of a few I'm sure.

I just can't think of a situation where you would want to chase the man, let alone keep shooting at him. The only scenario I can think of is that they thought he was robbing a house (their house maybe) and so they wanted to, obviously, kill him for it?

I'm pretty sure it stops being "stand your ground" if you chase them a few miles until they get on interstate. Lucky the guy wasn't killed though.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:12 PM   #10
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Of course the usual suspects will now demand "more details."
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:13 PM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

They're mug shots are absolutely hilarious, if you get a chance to go look at them. They're exactly what I picture a racist piece of **** that would chase down a delivery man to look like.

I'm most shocked they had attorneys.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:22 PM   #12
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I wonder if that has something to do with the manager. It looks like he was talking with the manager in real time. They had the MBI and the FBI involved in case of federal charges, but I'm not sure what those would be, though I could think of a few I'm sure.

I just can't think of a situation where you would want to chase the man, let alone keep shooting at him. The only scenario I can think of is that they thought he was robbing a house (their house maybe) and so they wanted to, obviously, kill him for it?
How about jacking him? Possible. If they were already out in the street with one armed on the road, and another in position to block him from leaving, sounds like a classic robbery.

Otherwise, they would have dumped one armed guy in the street and pulled up to their own driveway coincidentally as the driver was pulling out?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it stops being "stand your ground" if you chase them a few miles until they get on interstate. Lucky the guy wasn't killed though.
Tru dis.

Old 3rd February 2022, 01:23 PM   #13
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

They're mug shots are absolutely hilarious, if you get a chance to go look at them. They're exactly what I picture a racist piece of **** that would chase down a delivery man to look like.

I'm most shocked they had attorneys.
LOL, ya I have a feeling they have lawyers on permanent retainer. I doubt this was their first dalliance with violent crime.

Old 3rd February 2022, 01:24 PM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

How about jacking him? Possible. If they were already out in the street with one armed on the road, and another in position to block him from leaving, sounds like a classic robbery.

Otherwise, they would have dumped one armed guy in the street and pulled up to their own driveway coincidentally as the driver was pulling out?
LOL, ya I have a feeling they have lawyers on permanent retainer. I doubt this was their first dalliance with violent crime.
This could be, for sure. They definitely look...methy.

ETA: Your post fit in with my response lol
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:26 PM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How fast can the driver run the 100 yard dash, I need to know that to determine if these people were right to be chasing him in the first place.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:37 PM   #16
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I would suggest that it need not be a typical day in the life for blacks. For most of us, this sort of thing never happens once in a long lifetime, to oneself or one we know. It is something we can confidently expect will not. Being white, I have never been the target of racial slurs, discrimination or violence, and I surmise that I never will. If you can honestly say this is the same case for blacks, then you have something. Otherwise, not.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:40 PM   #17
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again we do not need to factor in the made-up stage show fake incredulity of those who's online personas make sure everyone knows that they simply cannot believe racism exists, would you be so kind as to have a cIvIl dEBaTE where we prove to their satisfaction into the discussion.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:43 PM   #18
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
How fast can the driver run the 100 yard dash, I need to know that to determine if these people were right to be chasing him in the first place.
He was driving. And Indy Cars can go 230 mph, so what's his issue here?
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:44 PM   #19
Warp12
King of Kings

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Being white, I have never been the target of racial slurs, discrimination or violence, and I surmise that I never will.
I'm white, and I definitely can't make that claim. Nor can plenty of other friends or family. Maybe you have lived in more peaceful environments than I.

Last edited by Warp12; 3rd February 2022 at 01:50 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:46 PM   #20
Warp12
King of Kings

Right; like if people are shooting at my vehicle and trying to run me down, I'm not calling my boss about it right then.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:49 PM   #21
SuburbanTurkey

Maybe the dispersions made by social media folks about this town being racist as hell hit a bit close to the mark. Might explain why the cops feels it's necessary to threaten to arrest people for running their mouth.

ETA: Reading up on the local history of this small town in Mississippi:

Quote:
In 1955, Lamar Smith, a black farmer and World War I veteran, was shot to death by whites mid-day on the lawn of the county courthouse in Brookhaven.[8] He had been working to organize voter registration among blacks, who had been largely disenfranchised in the state since 1890 by barriers created by whites. After World War II, Smith was among the many veterans who became activists for civil rights, determined to regain their constitutional rights. No one was prosecuted for his murder.[8]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookh...ssippi#History

Unclear if this town currently is racist as hell, or just used to be.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd February 2022 at 01:52 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:49 PM   #22
Warp12
King of Kings

Exactly. This could be an opportunity to rob a delivery driver, as simple as that.

I mean, I know that might rain on everyone's racist parade...but, oh well. It's probably why more investigation is warranted.
Old 3rd February 2022, 01:54 PM   #23
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Right; like if people are shooting at my vehicle and trying to run me down, I'm not calling my boss about it right then.
The article said the driver rung his manager during the chase. She said she could hear the gunfire on the phone/radio.

Then...i guess they finished up the day, clocked out, and grabbed a beer or maybe a refreshing cappachino? The next morning they figured they should notify police that armed psychos were actively firing on drivers in the street. Had to sleep on it, you see.

Come on. You're telling me you would call the cops right away about a guy shooting up your truck as you drove? What kind of namby-pamby world do we live in, where a brother can't laugh off a few 9mm rounds to his careening vehicle without crying to police?

Old 3rd February 2022, 01:57 PM   #24
SuburbanTurkey

The article said the driver rung his manager during the chase. She said she could hear the gunfire on the phone/radio.

Then...i guess they finished up the day, clocked out, and grabbed a beer or maybe a refreshing cappachino? The next morning they figured they should notify police that armed psychos were actively firing on drivers in the street. Had to sleep on it, you see.

Come on. You're telling me you would call the cops right away about a guy shooting up your truck as you drove? What kind of namby-pamby world do we live in, where a brother can't laugh off a few 9mm rounds to his careening vehicle without crying to police?
Maybe this guy knows something about the local police you don't.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:02 PM   #25
mgidm86
Philosopher

I doubt they were simply robbing him. Chasing him down the road makes this seem unlikely to me, but then I'm not a psycho either. Also robbing a guy in front of your own house...probably not. Then again, see previous "I'm not a psycho" comment.

I also think that one should not receive bail if they are arrested for chasing a truck down public roads and shooting at it, but that's just me I guess.

I also question why they waited until the next day to call the cops (as I understand it). I mean you gotta be kidding me, right!? This is a town I will stay far away from.

ETA: In what state did this occur? Ahh Mississippi never mind.

Last edited by mgidm86; 3rd February 2022 at 02:04 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:08 PM   #26
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Maybe this guy knows something about the local police you don't.
Like what? That the cops are morning people?

They didn't report an active shooter till the next day. Can you come up with a plausible reason for that? I can't.

Also, the driver was able to identify apparently who was doing the shooting (no reason to know who the Case boys were, unless the driver previously knew their identity by sight). It would have been some random pickup to him, I would think. No reason to think it belonged to the property owner if it came off the street to block him in the driveway.

Old 3rd February 2022, 02:12 PM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

People placed in stressful situations don't always do what we would expect them to do. It was a Hertz vehicle, so it's possible they reached out to Hertz. It could be that he was so shaken up that he just wanted to go home.

Another article I read said that he had worked in the neighborhood for something like 7 months. So it's not like he wasn't known. It could have been a previous beef, or they could have thought he wasn't delivering all of their packages. The article I read said the men's truck was sitting across the street while he delivered the package, it didn't just pul up out of nowhere.

Last edited by plague311; 3rd February 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:15 PM   #28
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Nah, deleted

Last edited by GlennB; 3rd February 2022 at 02:16 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:16 PM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Unclear if this town currently is racist as hell, or just used to be.
It is clearly very racist, just that the cops will come down hard on anyone observing that fact.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:23 PM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

People placed in stressful situations don't always do what we would expect them to do. It was a Hertz vehicle, so it's possible they reached out to Hertz. It could be that he was so shaken up that he just wanted to go home.

Another article I read said that he had worked in the neighborhood for something like 7 months. So it's not like he wasn't known. It could have been a previous beef, or they could have thought he wasn't delivering all of his packages. The article I read said the men's truck was sitting across the street while he delivered the package, it didn't just pul up out of nowhere.
If true, then definitely a targeted ambush. I mean, I don't normally park across the street from my house and sit in the truck armed. And dump my son out first before trapping my regular FedEx driver in.

Anyone taking bets that these guys were robbed or something recently, and were having themselves a half-cocked vigilante moment?

Eta: forgot: if they reached out to Hertz, presumably to tell them their rental vehicle is now full of bullet holes, then we need to explain why Hertz has joined the "nah, we'll bother with the police tomorrow" club.

Last edited by Thermal; 3rd February 2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:25 PM   #31
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What more could there be? The facts are not in dispute. What could possibly justify this behavior? What surprises me is that the charges aren't stiffer. It looks to me like attempted kidnapping and attempted murder.
Quote:
The elder Case has been charged with conspiracy and is being held on a $75,000 bond. The younger Case has been charged with shooting into a motor vehicle and is being held on a $150,000 bond. Both men were booked into the Lincoln County Jail.
https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/20...-fedex-driver/

And no, this is not a typical day in the life of a typical black person. But something like this is always a possibility, especially in the rural South. That's the problem.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:29 PM   #32
Warp12
King of Kings

There have to be more details to this.
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What more could there be?
Amazingly, I believe you are serious about this question.

I guess we better close the investigation, now. We have solved the case.

Last edited by Warp12; 3rd February 2022 at 02:31 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:29 PM   #33
crescent
Philosopher

Exactly. This could be an opportunity to rob a delivery driver, as simple as that.

I mean, I know that might rain on everyone's racist parade...but, oh well. It's probably why more investigation is warranted.
I don't know. I mean, I'm on nextdoor dot com, and people posting on that site post some crazy, deeply deeply paranoid stuff.

Kids out walking after a snowstorm, looking to make a few bucks shoveling driveways? Totally casing the neighborhood.

Uber driver drops off a fare and parks a half block away to check for another fare? Casing the neighborhood again, or doing some sort of electronic eavesdropping.

Solar panel sales people going door to door? Sex traffickers.

Guy in a FedEx uniform but driving a truck that's branded differently and only has little FedEx door magnets? Almost certainly a sex trafficker, maybe with a couple of thugs in the back, prepped to do a nice home invasion.

This kind of nutty "reasoning" gets posted damn near everyday in my suburb.

Many many people are deeply and irredeemably paranoid. Dollars to doughnuts these guys thought the truck was doing something illegal and thought that they would be the neighborhood heroes by stopping it. And the fact that the driver was a black guy probably fed into that, even if not on a conscious level.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:30 PM   #34
SuburbanTurkey

They didn't report an active shooter till the next day. Can you come up with a plausible reason for that? I can't.

Also, the driver was able to identify apparently who was doing the shooting (no reason to know who the Case boys were, unless the driver previously knew their identity by sight). It would have been some random pickup to him, I would think. No reason to think it belonged to the property owner if it came off the street to block him in the driveway.
I dunno, the current police chief threatening to arrest people for protected 1A speech calling the town racist strikes me as a pretty good warning sign that these small town cops don't have a healthy respect for civil rights.

Inviting the police into your life is a risky proposition, even if you're the victim. Glad it worked out this time.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:31 PM   #35
plague311
Great minds think...

I mean, if we're being honest, it looks like the cops didn't give a **** about it. It was reported the day after it happened (Jan 25th), and the cops never went and arrested them. The two turned themselves in a week later on Feb 1. I think instead of questioning why the guy didn't call the cops right away, a better question is why they didn't do anything about it for a week?

The cops did **** all about it for over a week. Can you come up with a plausible reason for that? I can't.

He recognized the houses, he'd been there for awhile.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:34 PM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

Eta: forgot: if they reached out to Hertz, presumably to tell them their rental vehicle is now full of bullet holes, then we need to explain why Hertz has joined the "nah, we'll bother with the police tomorrow" club.
It happened at 7:30 p.m. and the guy probably didn't get back until after 8. They were more than likely closed for the day, would be my guess.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:35 PM   #37
Warp12
King of Kings

The cops did **** all about it for over a week. Can you come up with a plausible reason for that? I can't.
Maybe they needed, I don't know, evidence? Certainly they should explain their actions. But implying that something isn't very strange about it not being reported until the next day? Come on.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:40 PM   #38
plague311
Great minds think...

Maybe they needed, I don't know, evidence?
They needed evidence? They needed more evidence than an eyewitness account and a truck full of holes? Yeah, that seems to pass the sniff.

Certainly they should explain their actions. But implying that something isn't very strange about it not being reported until the next day? Come on.
You're easily handwaving this away like it's nothing. Why call the cops right away if they aren't going to do anything? You don't know, I don't know.
Old 3rd February 2022, 02:41 PM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, if we're being honest, it looks like the cops didn't give a **** about it. It was reported the day after it happened (Jan 25th), and the cops never went and arrested them. The two turned themselves in a week later on Feb 1. I think instead of questioning why the guy didn't call the cops right away, a better question is why they didn't do anything about it for a week?

And the guys turned themselves in. The police didn't get them. I mean I guess it's possible they were laying low somewhere, but this is all super weird. How the he'll is a pair of Yahoo's shooting from a truck like the Nazis from the Blues Brothers not warranting some immediate attention, both in reporting and police response?

Quote:
He recognized the houses, he'd been there for awhile.
Recognizing a house you deliver to is one thing, but recognizing the vehicles (that have nothing to do with delivering parcels) is another. Plus it's FedEx, who likely doesn't deliver as much as say UPS or USPS.

I dunno. This is goofy.

Old 3rd February 2022, 02:41 PM   #40
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

No shooting here, but a similar incident with a black FedEx delivery man:

https://youtu.be/4pNGfRvE-vA
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events