ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Russia conspiracies , Russia-Ukraine relations , Ukraine conspiracies , vladimir putin

Reply
Old 18th May 2014, 01:34 AM   #1
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Did Putin orchestrate the Odessa "Massacre"?

I just read about this conspiracy theory and it struck me it would easily get some takers among the "skeptics" here.

* Robert Zubrin, National Review, May 13: Did Putin Plan the Odessa Massacre? He has certainly exploited it

Re: the May 2 incident leading to a fire and dozens of deaths at the Trade Unions Hall in Odessa, Ukraine, May 2, 2014.

Summary: an article-length, restatement of that idea, with disputable historuical precedents and no apparent knowledge of the incident details (a trait he rightly presumes his readers will share).

Essence quote:
Quote:
in eliminating dissent and unifying Putin’s subjects into a mad herd behind his plans for war and fascism, the massacre could hardly have better served his aims and objectives if the former spymaster had planned it himself.

So the question is, did he?

... there is no question that Putin had the motive, capability, and character to arrange for the Odessa massacre. Furthermore, he is the only one of the potential suspects to have, in addition to those characteristics, a history of prior comparable acts.
The devil will be in the details, huh?

What do we know about this incident from mainstream news report? I know a bit from other sources, but from CNN et al. it seems rather vague to me - there was a clash, separatists apparently started it, they occupied some Trade Unions building that wound up catching fire, some 40 or so people died, apparently all on the bad guy side, and it was likely their own fault.

What has the forum at large heard about this? What do you think/believe about it? Have you checked how the reports line up with the visual evidence, for example? I've looked a bit, but would rather hear what people already think.

ETA: I should just paste this here, a note and a starter point on one of the details:

For good form, if Putin's not being blamed, we don't call it a massacre: Most people call it nothing, but Wikipedia has a page for May, 2014 Odessa Clashes. It just went badly for one side, who started it, by the way.

Masked militants with red armbands are blamed for firing the first provocative shots (see here for example). Here's a supposed photo of them, organized and attentive as some uniformed officer tells them what to do, apparently before provoking a mob and then disappearing behind police protection, to leave the mob ready to go witness an accidental fire that killed a diifferent group of bad guys.

So the CT would say these clearly pro-Russian militants were sent by Putin to trick the mob into getting around that building when it started burning - to frame them. Or maybe not. But who's this officer? What kind of uniform is that? He's one of the former spymaster's agents. right? The source I found it at (Globalresearch, citing Oriental Review) says it's “Odessa Interior ministry branch Colonel Dmitry Fucheji.” But that's a source that won't fly with many, and that doesn't fit the CT.

Any other thoughts on who that is setting up the provocation Putin has so massively exploited?

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 18th May 2014 at 01:39 AM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2014, 10:23 AM   #2
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,050
40 people died and you put "massacre" in scare quotes and said that most people call that "nothing." Stay classy.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2014, 10:34 AM   #3
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,120
Does "looking at the visual evidence" mean what I think it means?
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips

Last edited by timhau; 18th May 2014 at 10:39 AM.
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Does "looking at the visual evidence" mean what I think it means?
Well, what do you think it means?

I meant looking at videos and photos. If that's what you thought, right on. But then you wouldn't ask, because that's a pretty obvious meaning. So I'm curious what less obvious, maybe nefarious meaning you think I might have had there.

In the actual sentence context, I asked "Have you checked how the reports line up with the visual evidence, for example?" Have you?

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 18th May 2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
40 people died and you put "massacre" in scare quotes and said that most people call that "nothing." Stay classy.
How have other people put the word? They don't at all, usually. In the Western mainstream news, so far, I've seen "clashes," "incident," "accident," "a fire," etc. No mass-murderous intent is suggested. From Russian and alternative sources, you'll often hear "massacre," blaming the Right Sector types around (and inside!) the building. And when Putin's blamed, I see "massacre" in the Western media.

So to clarify, I consider it probably a deliberate massacre, almost surely by the people who on video stormed the building, lit it from the inside and out, kept fire trucks away, beat down and shot people who climbed out windows, etc.

But the quotes are a nod to the fact that most people don't seem to think so. And I contend it's a bit lame for this guy to just toss the word in because he's got a Putin-blaming CT to make it okay.

So...
Anyone else want to call this a likely massacre? Whose then, and on what evidence?

Anyone buy the Putin-blaming CT? Supporting evidence? Visuals preferred by far over words from Human mouths.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Google news search: Odessa Ukraine Massacre

Mostly RT, GlobalResearch, Pravda, the one blaming Putin I mentioned, and on page one main entries, only the Telegraph appears. Titled with "death by fire" and highlighting the mystery of it, and the tragedy, and some peripheral details (but few core ones of the kind that matter most). Still, A useful report, worth considering. It says:
"The Odessa Massacre, as some are already calling it, was the greatest single loss of life in Ukraine's unrest since the revolution in February"

Some of the reports on the other side talk of whole batches of unreported victims, in the basement especially, making the death toll actually higher than 30-40, and higher even than the hundred in February.

But on the core stuff, the Telegraph says:
Quote:
Witnesses sympathetic to the pro-Maidan movement point out that video footage appears to show the fire beginning on the third floor, behind an intact window - and out of reach of the petrol bombs thrown by the crowd outside. Maybe, they say, a pro-Russian dropped a petrol bomb by accident.
Ah, an inside job. Accidentally threw it against a closed window and then made it so people couldn't escape. Clever.

Who was inside to do an inside job? Who was trapped in and who came in freely and could leave again with no fear of the mob, as soon as they "dropped" their bottles against some walls and doors?

I haven't been following closely, but me mate Petri has, keeping this page at ACLOS "Odessa Trade Union massacre" (a name I endorse, and see also the talk page)- a lot of unverified allegations from both sides, especiially anti-Putschist sources, some thoughts, and all the visuals they have the support what they're saying. Some really disturbing stuff, some of it undeniably on video of that scene.

Especially see the sub-page Denis Cherkasov videos (originals pulled in embarrassment, mirrors around) - that's where. as available, you can see the Maidan youths in the building smashing in locked doors ... to save people from the fire that's about to start? In another, it's already starting just now in the stairwell as the youth start to leave. A bit later, several facially-battered people are seen being carried away. I haven't seen them all, some may be unavailable ATM. Petri has copies of most at least.

Maybe in those videos but surely elsewhere you can see the ground floor escapes being torched from outside. People at the windows (to breathe, not escape, unless their room is actually on fire) are in the Cherkasov videos - in other videos/photos you can see them being shot at from the ground with rifles and pistols (some say 9 died from that alone)

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 19th May 2014 at 06:03 AM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2014, 03:45 PM   #7
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 52,940
Of course he orchestrated it. You don't think Sergei Eisenstein just "happened" to be there to film it, do you?
__________________
If I see somebody with a gun on a plane? I'll kill him.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2014, 04:34 AM   #8
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,765
Get a new hobby.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Dcdrac
Philosopher
 
Dcdrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,141
It certainly looks like Putin is rowing back fast, in this case though this was the inevitable result of what his policies have stirred up and not any deliberate new action on the part of Putin, I think, only as a matter of opinion mind you , that we shall see ethnic tensions boil over in the crimea when the Moscow installed government there tries to trample on the rights and living conditions of non Russians living there.

Last edited by Dcdrac; 25th May 2014 at 05:14 AM.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Of course he orchestrated it. You don't think Sergei Eisenstein just "happened" to be there to film it, do you?
Interesting enough aside. Didn't bother checking what exact connection to I guess the '44 (??) Odessa massacre ...

But the one 70 years later - might be state sponsored terrorism. Look who just "happened" to actually be there: Andriy Parubiy, National Social party co-founder (but of course NOT a neo-Nazi), who in February was Euromaidan commandant who let the "Spetsnaz" snipers (he says) both in and out without a hitch ... for that "failure," he was made Secretary of the National Security and Defence Council for all Ukraine. Huh. Now he runs the "counter-terrorism" operations against the huge swathe of Ukraine where the people don't agree to this "huh"-plagued new government.

This includes Odessa. He was seen there on April 29 meeting local reps of the planned counter-terrorist operation, including a guy identified as Mikola Volkov (see here - English with gory scrolling banner images - without the gore but in German) Volkov is a deputized criminal later seen (looking a bit like an off-duty cop I thought) shooting a pistol at the Trade Unions building and phoning in false reports. Then the “Ukrainian rally” torched the building to hide the murder of perhaps 272 citizens in this “counter-terrorist” massacre.

Recent interview, Parubiy's take on what happened:
Quote:
Q: Regarding the snipers at Maidan, you say the investigation is ongoing. How about this tragedy, this carnage in Odessa on 4 May [sic]?

A: This is a classic example of how Russia provokes, aiming at unleashing civil unrest and bloodshed. On that day, there was a football match. The fans had gathered and when they started marching with Ukrainian flags, a group of people started shooting at them with military guns. A few people were killed on the spot. In this group were citizens of Russia, which had come from Transnistria [a Russia-controlled breakaway territory of Moldova].

(nothing cut out here - he just jumps this far)

When the explosion happened in the House of the Trade Unions, experts have shown that the substance that provoked it had been stored there a long time ago. The House of the Trade Unions was a kind of headquarters for the separatists, it was not controlled by the authorities, nor by the opposition. And the substance that provoked the blaze was brought there during this period of time [when the separatists controlled the building]. I’m not saying that this substance was inflamed on purpose. But when Molotov cocktails were thrown from the fourth floor at the participants of the Ukrainian rally, the substance inflamed.

It is true that the Russian propaganda is very strong today. Because it moves like a tactical corps and looks stronger than the free press, which will always show all points of view. We ask those interested to come and take part in the investigation. We invited international experts to participate in an international committee, so they could base their opinion on facts, and not on what Russian TV says.

Odessa was a classic provocation in which pro-Russian groups had to seize the administration buildings in the same way it happened in Donetsk and Luhansk.
Oh really? They had to occupy the building ... as soon as the mob torched their tent camp out front. They were chased in, and as we can see followed in. Parubiy invites people to come hear his "experts" say stuff. Others invite you to look at the friggin' images of this obvious and horrific state-sponsored terrorism against citizens the cabal disagrees with.

As for "the free press, which will always show all points of view..." anyone yet find a mainstream, free, western media source that even mentions the attacking "rally" actually entering the building and smashing down doors, or a death toll any higher than the 42 cited, etc.? This is a point of view, and a well-supported one, that seems to not exist in our free media.

Maybe Russia's isn't free either, but maybe the two views taken together is a start ... today, a new documentary from Russia1 channel (with new info summarized Via Vladimir Suchan on Facebook (Russian-language video report included) - not necessarily 100% true but worth considering at least:

Quote:
Additional information about the Odessa massacre of May 2: the Odessa police gave personal information about the survivors (witnesses) to the Right Sector which started hunting them down. As a result, an additional 19 people were killed after May 2, and others went into hiding. A former deputy head of the Odessa police, now relocated to Kolomeysky's Dniepropetrovsk, confirms in an interview the personal involvement of Parubiy, the head of the Ukrainian Defense and Security Council, in the organization of the massacre. About 70 fascist paramilitaries were hiding at the 3rd floor ahead of the attack on the Trade Union building (other reports also identified such an earlier deployment of fascists militants prior the attack itself in the basement of the building.) A poisonous gas was, indeed, used: it was "burning" the lungs and causing loss of consciousness and memory for those who were able to survive it. The junta was afraid that celebrations of Victory Day on May 9 (victory over fascism) might lead to the loss of Odessa.

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 26th May 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Get a new hobby.
oh joy, you have advice/criticism for me. I've made a small hobby of keeping track of this:

That's not a sniper. Concealed is not part of the definition of sniper. That sniper on the lawn is concealed - just look at him! Show me the math on that rectangle. Fly to Kiev and find shell casings. The UN said x about the August CW attack yet you said y about the March attack. Why did you lie? Why did you lie? Why did you lie? I was always talking about the March CW attack.

Get a new hobby.

Finally one I can agree to.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 06:17 AM   #12
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,050
Caustic Logic - the 2 main sources you cited in your post 2 above are Russia Today and Channel 1 Russia. I realize that you claim to want to understand both sides of this issue, but why do you give any credence to such obvious propagandists for the Russian state?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Caustic Logic - the 2 main sources you cited in your post 2 above are Russia Today and Channel 1 Russia. I realize that you claim to want to understand both sides of this issue, but why do you give any credence to such obvious propagandists for the Russian state?
Wow, that's not disingenuous.

Please point me to CNN or other mainstream Western coverage of this info and this video evidence. I've been looking and asking for it, and it seems there's little to none.

If that's so, what should I do? Go where I can find it like I've done, so it can be brought up and considered? Or help us all pretend it doesn't exist? Except of course as (video-fakery) propaganda that's best tuned out?

Thanks for helping to clarify this perplexing aspect of info-citizenship.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 04:23 PM   #14
Jrrarglblarg
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,673
Can we all observe a quick moment of silence for the death of professional journalism?




Thanks.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2014, 04:57 PM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,050
Western journalistic outlets aren't issuing counter-propaganda? So what?

Video fakery? Welcome to the CT subforum.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 02:19 AM   #16
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,765
Originally Posted by Caustic Logic View Post
Get a new hobby.

Finally one I can agree to.
So why don't you?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 02:20 AM   #17
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Western journalistic outlets aren't issuing counter-propaganda? So what?
Did you notice that didn't answer my challenge? You've just confirmed that our "free" media isn't touching this act of state-sponsored terrorism. They say nothing about except about what Kiev tells them - there was a fire that started inside, only the separatists were inside, about 40 people died, details are sketchy and always will be. Even though video and photos prove it happened way differently than that.

Am I even allowed to link to the photo of a pregnant woman strangled to death with a cord? Kiev's story has no slot for that murder, for example. If they do, it'll be - vaguely - "Putin did it."

Unless... the imagery was all faked, maybe on a mock-up sound stage deep inside Russia?

Quote:

Video fakery? Welcome to the CT subforum.
So are you taking that position? If not, on what basis do you dismiss it?

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Can we all observe a quick moment of silence for the death of professional journalism?




Thanks.
"Death of" might be a bit strong. But this is a serious problem, and I observed the moment.

Although I suppose, this forum community being what it is, you meant the reports coming out of Odessa made you say that. You'd rather we heard nothing about the incident but what Parubiy and his ilk spew, right?

What did the people of Odessa do to deserve such total apathy over their brutal mass murder?
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 02:46 AM   #18
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,245
Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Can we all observe a quick moment of silence for the death of professional journalism?

Thanks.
Well RT is basically a relaunched Pravda.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
So why don't you?
Non-binary thinking.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 03:32 AM   #19
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
So this RT report I linked, for example, is bound to be full of lies. Since Stalin basically wrote it. Let's get specific for once.

Radicals shooting at people in Odessa’s burning building caught on tape

First video - fake?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypnu0vteNto

Do they characterize it wrong?
Quote:
New video has emerged online which shows a man shooting at the windows of Odessa’s burning House of Trade Unions. At least 39 anti-government activists died in the flames on May 2 in the building besieged and set ablaze by radicals.

A man in the video is wearing a bulletproof vest and is shooting several times in the direction of the burning House of Trade Unions.
Then another video - can't vouch for the translation, is it a lie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiTb3ed65w
Quote:
Another video of the same man shows him speaking on the phone passionately arguing that he and his people are unarmed, while having to confront armed anti-government protesters. The man introduces himself as sotnik Mykola (“sotnik” is what Maidan group leaders in Kiev call themselves) He also says he was wounded in the leg by protesters, although he doesn’t look hurt in the footage.
After dismantling the lies in this clumsy state propaganda, someone point me to a more honest assessment of this guy's actions. Something run from New York or London instead of Moscow. They're sure to have more videos and a fuller, more honest, more free reporting, to put Mikola back in context.

Oh, no one could do either? What a surprise. No one cares? Wow. Shock.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 06:24 AM   #20
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,765
Originally Posted by Caustic Logic View Post
So this RT report I linked, for example, is bound to be full of lies. Since Stalin basically wrote it. Let's get specific for once.

Radicals shooting at people in Odessa’s burning building caught on tape

First video - fake?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypnu0vteNto

Do they characterize it wrong?


Then another video - can't vouch for the translation, is it a lie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiTb3ed65w


After dismantling the lies in this clumsy state propaganda, someone point me to a more honest assessment of this guy's actions. Something run from New York or London instead of Moscow. They're sure to have more videos and a fuller, more honest, more free reporting, to put Mikola back in context.

Oh, no one could do either? What a surprise. No one cares? Wow. Shock.
It's always the same with you, isn't it?

The videos show a man firing on a building. So? Does that prove any of the many assertions that you and others have made? It doesn't show who started the fire, and it doesn't cast any light on the conspiracy theory you are trying to build regarding Andriy Parubiy.

As I said, get a new hobby. You are dreadful at this one, and it's pretty disgusting to watch.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 02:46 PM   #21
catsmate
No longer the 1
 
catsmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,245
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's always the same with you, isn't it?

The videos show a man firing on a building. So? Does that prove any of the many assertions that you and others have made? It doesn't show who started the fire, and it doesn't cast any light on the conspiracy theory you are trying to build regarding Andriy Parubiy.

As I said, get a new hobby. You are dreadful at this one, and it's pretty disgusting to watch.
Well said.
__________________
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 02:55 PM   #22
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,050
RT has the same problem with accuracy that some posters here have with their writing.

Quote:
Radicals shooting at people in Odessa’s burning building caught on tape


New video has emerged online which shows a man shooting at
The "evidence" at that link that folks had made handprints on the wall trying to escape while the walls "melted" was pathetic as well. Apparently, in Ukraine, "melted" drywall is green and white and perfectly straight and level.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's always the same with you, isn't it?

The videos show a man firing on a building. So? Does that prove any of the many assertions that you and others have made?
The assertion I was making that was supposed to be supported by that article is ... Mikola is clearly shooting his gun at the building as it burns and phoning in false reports.

Separtely, not shown here, we know that's Mikola Volvkov. We know he's one of Parubiy's deputies. We know he was arrested - innocent of murdering hiding activists, police said, but guilty of the obvious actions on video (exact charges unclear) and his Fascist friends demand his release (see here, Ukrainian).

Separtely, not shown here, thugs storm inside the building, smash down doors, drag off one woman who's begging them to stop, and fire breaks out at different spots while they're inside. A pregnant-looking woman was stangled to death and left un-burnt in one office with a wooden club and orange construction helmet left behind. Look it up.

Carlitos: Good catch with one "lie." What I see is radicals - one shooting, the others not stopping him, approving. But yeah, only one shown shooting, here.

There's another photo I've seen of two guys, one shooting a pistol, one a shotgun or rifle, also up to the windows. It's a photo though so you can see if they're shooting or posing.

The wall isn't melting, true. But maybe the paint, which looks smeared. I'm sure you think it's faked for dramatic effect. It could be. There's a lot more that can't be fake. So, don't think this is the only thing you need to point to to make your fake massacre argument.


Anyone think Putin was behind this fake massacre?

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 28th May 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2014, 03:48 PM   #24
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by catsmate1 View Post
Well said.
The core point is plain stupid. You agree with him that if a "for example" source, for one point in abroad argument, only contains supports for that one point and not everything else ... it's a fail? You think every article should contain all points of any argument anyone might make with it?

This is a dumber than average comment even for Uke2se.

And it wasn't well-said either. It well reflected your disgustingly dismissive attitude.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 03:17 AM   #25
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
The photo of two shooters I mentioned is here. That's the same place. All told, at least three radical seen shooting up, but not all in that one pack of lies RT article that might as well have been written and video-faked by Stalin himself.

There is an aspect to both Mikola's shooting video and this photo that could be used to argue in his/their favor. But I won't explain it myself. I'll see if anyone from the corporate-media vegetable patch can figure it out themselves. If so, they can see the counter-argument I have ready. I don't think that'll happen.

As for Mikola's leg injury, he's seen in another video, running fine at that point and not shooting. 0:50, 1:20. (clues there - warning, some blood and disturbing stuff, mainly from jumpers)

23:06, you can see the "Ukrainian Rally" members showing their grief at these tragic events, as the bloodied victims are carried by. That's a serious fire - I think it could easily melt most paints/wall coatings, if they're of the type that melt.

In this photo you can see a bit of the pride the rally took in its work.

ETA: Wolfsangel, Celtic Cross, the C in C-14 (David Lane ref) ... but no outright swastika. Because as the Svoboda guys say, they're not Nazis.

Does this last finally argue that Putin set this up to make the right-wingers look bad? This would be a pretty nuanced and realistic way to do it.

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 29th May 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 05:26 AM   #26
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12,765
Originally Posted by Caustic Logic View Post
snipped BS
That's right. The videos that you selected as evidence does nothing to demonstrate any assertions about the events you have made. As usual you have no concept of chain of evidence, or even evidence analysis - it's Youtube all the way down. Your posts are almost exactly like that of a twoofer - simply switch the subject matter.

To summarize, you have presented two videos of a guy first shooting out of frame (you claim him to be shooting at a burning building) and then speaking on a cell phone (you claim he's saying he's unarmed and wounded.) You claim he's lying because a) you saw him fire a gun in another video and b) you can't see any wound. Well, b) is just stupid, and as for a), how do you know the two videos are closely linked in time?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 05:32 AM   #27
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,603
Mr. Logic, relying on videos and still photos where you have no way of telling if they have been modified is a fairly unreliable way of proving that a third party orchestrated anything.

We could, for instance, make the claim that you had orchestrated the entire thing and that would equally as logical.

If you wish to demonstrate that Putin orchestrated the events in Odessa to further destabilize the Ukraine, that the events were orchestrated by the present Ukrainian gov't to ensure that they got into and retain power, that "The West" orchestrated the events or even that perhaps it is symptomatic of a transitional power shift unrelated to foriegn intervention - you will need much more evidence than merely videos from Youtube to prove your point.

If you truly want to prove any of the above, or simply want to find out what is behind the images then you need to dig a lot deeper - accounting for the bias of whatever party produced the evidence you're looking at, regardless of whether it matches your present presumption or not.
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 06:00 AM   #28
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Mr. Logic, relying on videos and still photos where you have no way of telling if they have been modified is a fairly unreliable way of proving that a third party orchestrated anything.
Another vote for fake, then?

Quote:
If you wish to demonstrate that Putin orchestrated the events in Odessa to further destabilize the Ukraine...
I don't. Some people do though. Go tell them what they need to do. They don'y even have images to point to, just words (that contradict the images) for the credulous.

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 29th May 2014 at 06:20 AM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 06:14 AM   #29
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
snipped in retaliation
first part, fail. We were getting specific, an improper plural is all that was found by way of lies. We're supposed to tune out Russia media because it's all probably lies. Example 1 - refutes that advice.

ETA: I'll let someone else pick sample 2 if they want.

second part, semi-valid questions. We don't know all the details. Maybe he was unarmed and shot at first, but later got armed and un-shot. Whatever works, right? I must be lying or whatever. Somehow. Don't take a break on that, your grinding me down finally!

At least you looked a little bit. And you didn't call fake. Huh.

Last edited by Caustic Logic; 29th May 2014 at 06:19 AM.
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 06:16 AM   #30
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,603
Originally Posted by Caustic Logic View Post
Another vote for fake, then?
No - a reminder that you can't tell, and that it is dangerous to make assumptions based on flawed data.
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2014, 06:29 AM   #31
Caustic Logic
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,494
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
No - a reminder that you can't tell, and that it is dangerous to make assumptions based on flawed data.
Yeah, flawed data ... like when we went o war in Iraq.

Now I don't command any Army, so I get a bit more leeway I hope. But there are different kinds of data here. I see you criticizing video. Fair enough. But ...

If a video that's verifiably from the same scene as all other videos, same-looking crowd, weather, matching the known building, etc...

clashes with what one of the pogrom event organizers is saying about it, with just words ...

...without saying that has or hasn't happened, just on principle, what should one do?

(I'm not fully there at "verifying" this stuff yet, but it seems to all be lining up with no signs of fakery or insertion yet - and IMO it does contradict badly what Mikola's boss says, in English, and what RT says Mikola says in Ukrainian)
Caustic Logic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.