ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 27th July 2017, 06:57 AM   #161
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The cloven hooves, horns, and flaming goat's eyes should have been clue enough.

Our innocent children should never be subjected to that sort of horror.
We are going to spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children, what it once was like in America when men were free.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 07:26 AM   #162
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I find it fascinating how many of Trump's supporters are shocked and horrified when he inevitably turns on them. There is an Aesop fable about a farmer finding a near frozen viper, feels sorry for it, takes it into his coat to warm it, only to be lethally bitten as the snake revives. When the farmer berates the snake with his dying breath, the snake says, "But you knew I was a viper when you brought me into your bosom. What did you expect?"

I've seen this over and over again with Trump in many contexts. And now it's the Republican Senators who are shocked that this mean, nasty, vengeful, petty little man with a lifelong history of scapegoating, humiliating and deep-siding his aides, staff, and supporters has actually turned on one of them! How unexpected! Presumably they thought that Trump was only a cruel, evil monster toward little, powerless people. Not important people such as ex-Senators like Sessions. Apparently the former was just fine, but the latter is crossing an ethical line.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 07:29 AM   #163
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Typical libtard claptrap. Obama is evil and was the worst president in the history of politics. He destroyed the economy and sold our freedoms to Russia with help from the pedophile Clinton family*

* I thought ya'll might be a bit lonely without logger's contributions, so I'm trying to fill in for him.
Thank you! I knew something was missing, but I couldn't put my leftist finger on it.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 08:38 AM   #164
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I find it fascinating how many of Trump's supporters are shocked and horrified when he inevitably turns on them. There is an Aesop fable about a farmer finding a near frozen viper, feels sorry for it, takes it into his coat to warm it, only to be lethally bitten as the snake revives. When the farmer berates the snake with his dying breath, the snake says, "But you knew I was a viper when you brought me into your bosom. What did you expect?"

I've seen this over and over again with Trump in many contexts. And now it's the Republican Senators who are shocked that this mean, nasty, vengeful, petty little man with a lifelong history of scapegoating, humiliating and deep-siding his aides, staff, and supporters has actually turned on one of them! How unexpected! Presumably they thought that Trump was only a cruel, evil monster toward little, powerless people. Not important people such as ex-Senators like Sessions. Apparently the former was just fine, but the latter is crossing an ethical line.
Which, again, raises the question of why Trump hasn't had a single bad thing to say about Flynn.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 10:31 AM   #165
C_Felix
Master Poster

There's a Turkish proverb I heard once, and I post a bastardized version of it on facebook from time to time.

"When the logger entered the forest with his axe, the trees said to each other, 'Don't worry, the handle is one of us.'"
Old 27th July 2017, 12:23 PM   #166
Cain
Straussian

Thank you! I knew something was missing, but I couldn't put my leftist finger on it.
Because you're too busy on Huffington Post trying to kill America one click at a time.
Old 27th July 2017, 12:26 PM   #167
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I was thinking of the Scorpion and the Frog (Aesop).
Old 27th July 2017, 01:14 PM   #168
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by seayakin View Post
I was thinking of the Scorpion and the Frog (Aesop).
Yes. The scorpion stings the frog even though knowing both will die. A very good metaphor for Trump.

Last edited by Giordano; 27th July 2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 27th July 2017, 01:28 PM   #169
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Preibus will go before Sessions does.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 01:50 PM   #170
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Is Preibus doing a bad/poor job or is he just not defending Trump at all costs?
Old 27th July 2017, 06:04 PM   #171
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Is Preibus doing a bad/poor job or is he just not defending Trump at all costs?
Better question perhaps: What is Priebus doing at all? Does anyone know?

It ought to be fairly obvious that Mooch is attacking Priebus with Donald's consent. Which means Donald has no trust in Priebus. Which means the Chief of Staff is unfit for the job - regardless of whose fault it is that Donald lost trust.

That Donald doesn't fire Priebus shows that Donald is significantly weak.
Old 27th July 2017, 06:13 PM   #172
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Better question perhaps: What is Priebus doing at all? Does anyone know?

It ought to be fairly obvious that Mooch is attacking Priebus with Donald's consent. Which means Donald has no trust in Priebus. Which means the Chief of Staff is unfit for the job - regardless of whose fault it is that Donald lost trust.

That Donald doesn't fire Priebus shows that Donald is significantly weak.
What The Hair continues to fail to understand is that pitting his staff against each other is the cause of many of the leaks. This management style (we need not be detained by the word leadership) might work in New York real estate but it's not how to run a branch of government. In Washington information is the ammunition and leaks are the weapon. He's instigated a civil war in his staff without understanding how it would be fought.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2017, 09:11 PM   #173
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Priebus is the in-house whipping boy for everything Trump doesn't like about the GOP.
But a least he's a conduit between Congress and the White House.
Old 28th July 2017, 12:16 AM   #174
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Priebus is the in-house whipping boy for everything Trump doesn't like about the GOP.
But a least he's a conduit between Congress and the White House.
And look how that's worked out.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2017, 04:44 AM   #175
C_Felix
Master Poster

Lindsay Graham and now Ben Sasse have both warned the commander-in-ept not to go the recess appointment route.
Old 28th July 2017, 04:56 AM   #176
Octavo
Illuminator

Lindsay Graham and now Ben Sasse have both warned the commander-in-ept not to go the recess appointment route.
And by so doing have guaranteed that is exactly what Donnie will do. No one tells him what to do.
Old 28th July 2017, 07:45 AM   #177
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Have you guys seen the betting markets on cabinet officials?

If not, check it out: https://twitter.com/natesilver538/st...16670631657472

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2017, 08:13 AM   #178
Civet
Graduate Poster

What exactly are they going to do about it? It's not like they've been giving him a particularly hard time on other crappy appointments.
Civet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2017, 08:23 AM   #179
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
What exactly are they going to do about it? It's not like they've been giving him a particularly hard time on other crappy appointments.
Apart from jumping on the "Obstruction of justice bandwagon", which is just a guess on my behalf, you're going to have to ask them.
Old 28th July 2017, 12:53 PM   #180
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

I love this tweet on that webpage:

"My wife watches Game of Thrones. I watch the White House news. Mine has same intrigue but more comedy.".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2017, 02:11 PM   #181
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

Priebus for the Win!
Old 28th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #182
d4m10n
Illuminator

That escalated quickly.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2017, 08:48 AM   #183
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

This is a sign of how weak he is. A senator from his own party just said that there would be holy hell to pay if Trump fires the AG. If we had a real president, Grahm would be getting crushed right now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics