ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th May 2019, 07:06 PM   #1
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Flu off to a bad start in Oz

Flu cases hit uncharted territory in NSW, but vaccines at the ready

Australia on track for severe flu season
Quote:
Southern hemisphere case numbers are rising sharply, doctors warn. Joseph Milton reports....

With 40,000 confirmed influenza cases in Australia this early in the season, experts this week warned that deaths in the country could hit 4000 unless infection rates slow before the winter peak, and urged the public to get a flu vaccination

The number of confirmed cases is triple the typical levels seen at this part of the flu season. In 2018 there were 58,000 recorded cases for the entire year.

Robert Booy, who heads a collective of health organisations called the Immunisation Coalition, says that this flu season has been “really strange”.

2019 may be shaping up to be a particularly bad year for Australia because immunity levels are low following a mild season in 2018, Booy suggests.

He adds that the presence of two types of flu this year, rather than the usual one, is also likely to be a contributing factor.

"There has been a sustained and rising summer and autumn surge that began at the end of last year and is continuing to increase,” he warns.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:21 PM   #2
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I've had my shot. I'm as prepared as I can be.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:33 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

NOO yu'll catches teh AUTIZMS!!11!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 08:50 PM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Had mine too. About to head off for Japan and didn’t want that ruined by the flu.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Yep, had mine. Work in a hospital, so mandated.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:03 PM   #6
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Friday morning for me.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:20 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yep, had mine. Work in a hospital, so mandated.
I don't, but as I said in another thread, I ride a crowded bus to work, and I regularly visit my octogenarian parents, so it's important.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:57 AM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I went to the walk in center to get mine. But they would not give me one as I am not 65 years. I think they would be the ideal people to give them.

I have just made an appointment to have it done at a chemist.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:55 PM   #9
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

The season has got off to a particularly bad start here in South Australia:

Quote:
The death toll from influenza outbreaks in South Australia this year has risen to 17, including 13 residents of aged care homes, as an "unprecedented" flu season continues to wreak havoc across the state.

Chief medical officer Professor Paddy Phillips said there had been 53 outbreaks in nursing homes since the start of the year and at least 18 facilities were in lockdown.

He said there were 12,339 influenza cases as of last Saturday, compared with 1,348 at the same time last year.
SA Flu Outbreak

Often mentioned on the radio news, is the 15 year old girl, with no prior medical conditions, who is one of the 17 people listed.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:13 PM   #10
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Fortunately had mine two weeks ago.

(Along with three team members who also jumped the queue).

Unfortunately the rest received theirs on Thursday last week.

So fingers crossed that none of us are exposed before our immune system response is fully prepared.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:21 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I went to the walk in center to get mine. But they would not give me one as I am not 65 years. I think they would be the ideal people to give them.

I have just made an appointment to have it done at a chemist.
Must be they still don't have their full vaccine supply in. Evidence is strong that we prevent more flu in the elderly by vaccinating younger people. The vaccine still doesn't work as well in the elderly.

However, here, we give 4 times the strength to people over 65. So you shouldn't be competing for supply with them unless they aren't using the high-strength doses there.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th May 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:42 PM   #12
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

It's certainly a different vaccine.

My team were given Afluria Quad.

The recommendation for over 65s is:

Quote:
All people aged 65 years and over are recommended to have Fluad®. This vaccine is made to offer increased protection (especially against influenza A/H3N2 which is more common and severe in the elderly) and this benefit is likely to compensate for any loss of protection against the B strain not included in the vaccine that is provided to individuals less than 65 years of age.
Link

From the manufacturer's website, it would appear that the vaccine also includes squalene as an adjuvant to boost the immune response in seniors.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:14 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is from last year. It says both Fluad and High-dose flu vaccine were used in Oz last year. I've not seen Fluad marketed here.

There are a number of studies still comparing the effectiveness of the two formulations. It looks like the studies are still in progress.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:08 PM   #14
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I've also heard a few rumours that some of the people who have died, tested positive to two different strains.

(Can't find anything online about that one, so take with a grain of salt.)
Old 18th May 2019, 10:28 PM   #15
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Hmm...

For some reason, the high dose vaccine is not covered under the National Immunisation Program, I have no idea why that would be.

(Even though the article from 2018 proposed that it would be)

Quote:
Influenza vaccines for adults aged 65 years and over include:

Fluad - PDF 36 KB
Fluzone High-Dose - PDF 19 KB – NOT funded under the NIP
Source
Old 18th May 2019, 10:44 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I've also heard a few rumours that some of the people who have died, tested positive to two different strains.

(Can't find anything online about that one, so take with a grain of salt.)
Flu has the unique ability to infect a person already infected. It's how we get recombinant strains.

When you are infected, the virus breaks into 9 segments. If two strains infect one person or one animal, the 9 segments come out shuffled.

Slowly mutating flu gives us genetic drift.

Recombinant flu gives us genetic shift.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:47 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hmm...

For some reason, the high dose vaccine is not covered under the National Immunisation Program, I have no idea why that would be.

(Even though the article from 2018 proposed that it would be)

Source
The vaccine is not that expensive. I'm 66. If I were in Oz I'd look at the research outcomes and chose whichever was better even if it meant paying for my own.
Old 19th May 2019, 05:18 AM   #18
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

How long after getting vaccinated for the flu does it take for it to become effective?
Old 19th May 2019, 12:42 PM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
How long after getting vaccinated for the flu does it take for it to become effective?
Depends on your immune response but on average 2 weeks to become fully effective.
Old 19th May 2019, 01:55 PM   #20
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Depends on your immune response but on average 2 weeks to become fully effective.
Thanks.
Old 21st May 2019, 06:36 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Flu has the unique ability to infect a person already infected. It's how we get recombinant strains.

When you are infected, the virus breaks into 9 segments. If two strains infect one person or one animal, the 9 segments come out shuffled.

Slowly mutating flu gives us genetic drift.

Recombinant flu gives us genetic shift.
Crumbs! I did not know that.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:03 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I have just read that face masks do nothing to prevent flu infection. How do I break this to all the Japanese people wearing them even in late spring?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 07:18 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I have just read that face masks do nothing to prevent flu infection. How do I break this to all the Japanese people wearing them even in late spring?
Don't worry, flu and measles are harmless but vaccines are terrible! See measles in the Northwest thread. Or better yet, don't. Totally off the rails.

"I'm not an antivaxer, but...."

All the usual idiocy follows.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:46 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's really common here in Canberra, where we have a large population of Asian students. It's kind of faddish.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:58 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well they do help said wearer to not spread said virus as easily. Pretty sure in Japan it is a courtesy if you are ill to wear the mask.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:03 PM   #26
EHocking
Philosopher

I was amused by the demonstration of utter lack of logic with Japanese wearing of face masks. Travelling with one such fool on a London Tube, the masked one leant over and picked up a newspaper and proceeded to flick through it - while eating crisps out of a packet. Germs are obviously only airborne. . .
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2019, 10:50 PM   #27
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I was amused by the demonstration of utter lack of logic with Japanese wearing of face masks. Travelling with one such fool on a London Tube, the masked one leant over and picked up a newspaper and proceeded to flick through it - while eating crisps out of a packet. Germs are obviously only airborne. . .
Probably not so risky, unless he touches his eyes or nose after touching the paper. The mask may serve as a reminder to not put his fingers in his nose?

Not touching your eyes in flu season requires insane levels of discipline. I find it easier to not use public transport.
Old 24th May 2019, 10:59 PM   #28
EHocking
Philosopher

Probably not so risky, unless he touches his eyes or nose after touching the paper. The mask may serve as a reminder to not put his fingers in his nose?

Not touching your eyes in flu season requires insane levels of discipline. I find it easier to not use public transport.
It was the disconnect between wearing the face mask and then picking up something from the floor of public transport and then continue putting things in your mouth while handling it that confounded me.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2019, 11:36 PM   #29
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Your mouth has reasonably good defences.

Your nose and eyes, less so...

But yes, handling stuff in public is a pretty clear vector.

This is why supermarkets put out disinfectant wipes next to the shopping trolleys.

I have my own trolley, so again, reduces a source of infection.
Old 25th May 2019, 02:48 PM   #30
fromdownunder
Philosopher

It is becoming a standard here for all Hospitals and Doctors clinics to have hand cleaner at the front entrance together with a nice polite sign suggesting that anyone entering the building use it.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2019, 03:30 PM   #31
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...This is why supermarkets put out disinfectant wipes next to the shopping trolleys.

...Not touching your eyes in flu season requires insane levels of discipline. I find it easier to not use public transport.

Very sensible since I can see that easy embarking/disembarking on public transport with a supermarket trolley might be a bit problematic.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2019, 03:36 PM   #32
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Because they're (possibly) wearing them for air-born allergens which are at their height in late spring?

My car is covered in yellow pollen dust and I have to put a t-shirt over my face at night. Not exactly a bag over my head, but still ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2019, 03:51 PM   #33
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Very sensible since I can see that easy embarking/disembarking on public transport with a supermarket trolley might be a bit problematic.

You may be surprised.

The trolley folds flat and is lighter than a packed suitcase.

(I originally bought this as a tool trolley to use at home, but it's so nice, I use it for shopping too. Clax cart)

This just demonstrates how much the world has changed.

As a kid, it was very common to ride home on a bus after school, with many women on board with their shopping trolleys full of groceries.
Old 25th May 2019, 04:04 PM   #34
Elagabalus
Illuminator

You may be surprised.

(I originally bought this as a tool trolley to use at home, but it's so nice, I use it for shopping too. Clax cart)

As a kid, it was very common to ride home on a bus after school, with many women on board with their shopping trolleys full of groceries.
My God, man!! Has the world where you live been turned completely upside down?!! That's not a proper supermarket trolley! It's a supermarket trolley mountebank!!
Old 26th May 2019, 02:26 PM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Australian flu deaths up 200 percent: health department
Quote:
The number of cases of laboratory-confirmed influenza was 54,432, a 450 percent from the five-year average of 9855 and a 304 percent increase from 13,444 in the same period in 2018.

In Victoria, Australia's second biggest state by population, influenza has killed 26 people -- three children and 23 aged-care residents -- compared to zero deaths at the same time in 2018.

Jenny Mikakos, the state's Health Minister, told News Corp Australia that the high toll was a result of flu season starting earlier than usual. ...

"We have seen a very significant summer flu season this year as a result of people coming back from the northern hemisphere with the flu and that spreading in the community.
Old 26th May 2019, 04:30 PM   #36
EHocking
Philosopher

Your mouth has reasonably good defences.

Your nose and eyes, less so...

But yes, handling stuff in public is a pretty clear vector.

This is why supermarkets put out disinfectant wipes next to the shopping trolleys.

Your mouth may have reasonable defences, but when even the alcohol based wipes and hand sanitizers (very prevalent in public places now) you mention are mostly ineffective defences against norovirus, rotavirus, salmonella, e.coli and even flu, hand to mouth is a very effective vector for spreading and contracting these bugs.

Washing your hands with soap and water is much more effective at removing these bugs from your hands.

Perhaps we now need bleach based wipes for trolleys etc? (And perpetuate the arms race)
Old 26th May 2019, 05:06 PM   #37
Hungry81
Master Poster

You may be surprised.

Yes, also if more people used their own trolleys it would cut down on dumped shopping trolleys clogging up roadways and footpaths and becoming makeshift bins that quickly pollute the surounding environment with accumilated plastic and fetid crap. Bring ack the "Granny trolleys" that died out in the 80s I say.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 06:49 PM   #38
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Yes, also if more people used their own trolleys it would cut down on dumped shopping trolleys clogging up roadways and footpaths and becoming makeshift bins that quickly pollute the surounding environment with accumilated plastic and fetid crap. Bring ack the "Granny trolleys" that died out in the 80s I say.
I agree. I think trolleys should be sold by supermarkets. That way they do not lose so many because they are dumped. Those that would dump them would now buy one - I hope.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:49 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Queensland flu season turns deadly with 38 lives already claimed

Quote:
Despite despatching a record number of flu vaccinations across the state, Queensland is in the grip of an outbreak that has so far claimed dozens of lives.

More than 1 million vaccinations have been deployed, yet confirmed cases of influenza have risen above 16,500 — which is four times the five-year average for this time of year.

At least 38 people have died from complications directly related to the disease, the youngest being a 20-year-old patient.
Old 20th June 2019, 08:29 PM   #40
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

We've run out of vaccine over here, except for supplies retained for essential patients.

The season also has all the signs of being very nasty - well above baselines and the weather is still Indian Summer. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...e-supply-wanes

Hospitals are already at peak capacity, so I can see some dark days ahead here shortly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology