ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , 2020 elections , Bernie Sanders , donald trump , hillary clinton , presidential candidates

Old 16th February 2017, 08:18 PM   #1
MrFliop
Thinker

Why I will never regret voting for Donald Trump

There's only one reason that I, a voter from a swing state, voted for Donald Trump. The 2020 election! Let's be honest, this was one unique election, an entertaining outsider republican with a rabid fan base vs a dull low energy establishment candidate with a fan base of soccer moms. In the final days of the election I felt sad that this election would end. Hillary would win and every thing would return to normal in politics and in 4 years president Clinton would be up against another boring establishment candidate. An election she surely would have lost. But Trump winning would change everything. In the next election he would be up against the runner up in the Dem primary. Who was that again? Oh right, Bernard Sanders.

Sanders would be a fool not to run again. He nearly beat Hillary this time and created a large fan base. And for those of you who say he's too old to run. Think about this, he said after he dropped out of the race last year that he would again run and serve for another term in 2018. This means he'll be active in politics until at least 2025. And yes he would be 77 if he starts campaigning in 2019, but remember that congressman Ron Paul was 76 when he campaigned for president in 2012.

Just think about it. The 2020 election will make this one seem boring. It will be the ultimate Republican vs the ultimate Democrat. It would be like JFK vs Ronald Reagan.

Last edited by MrFliop; 16th February 2017 at 09:56 PM.
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:23 PM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yeah, can't wait.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"I will never regret voting for Donald Trump"

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:29 PM   #4
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MrFliop View Post
There's only one reason that I, a voter from a swing state, voted for Donald Trump. [...]
Snipped Trump apologetics.
Old 16th February 2017, 08:29 PM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Great. Accelerationism. That worked so well for the KPD in '33.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:39 PM   #6
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

2020 is a long way away, and the word never is pretty absolute. I would not be surprised if you find something to regret by then. Among other things, though you may not care, or may not believe it, and while it may be too late already, the effect of a rabidly stupid denier of global climate change on policy over the next four years might prove devastating far beyond the trivial concerns of American voters and their desire for political excitement.

Of course the way Trump is going, I don't think he'll last that long, but I don't think it's going to go well anyway, for him, the country, or the world.

I must say that although I like the idea of stirring up the establishment a little, I truly cannot imagine how a person could support Trump and Sanders indifferently. Sanders is an outsider to the Democratic Party, but hardly to politics. He's been in politics most of his adult life, and knows his way around. He appeals to many voters because he has a degree of courage, speaking his mind and taking controversial positions, but he's not a flake. He's also a social liberal, and not a xenophobic, lying, misogynistic lunatic.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong over the next four years, but Trump is all yours.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Let's burn our house down and see if a better one appears out of the ashes!
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:45 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Sadly, that is a common mentality....and it ain't just the Trump supporters who have it. It seems to be pretty widespread. I guess people think it's edgy....
And Bernie Sanders is questionable for 2020 for one reason: His age. There is a very good chance he may not be in good enough health to run in 2020.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 16th February 2017 at 08:46 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

My fear is that after electing Comandante-Boor-O, the floodgates of celebrity know-nothings has been opened, and we ain't seen nothing yet.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 09:27 PM   #10
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

If the OP was actually grounded in reality there might be something to it, but since it's not....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 09:41 PM   #11
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

There's only one reason that I, a voter from a swing state, voted for Donald Trump. The 2020 election!
Er, okay?

Quote:
Let's be honest...
Be my guest.
Old 16th February 2017, 09:46 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That selecting the wrong guy as President can get lots of people killed never seems to have occurred to the OP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 09:59 PM   #13
MrFliop
Thinker

I promise that if(and only if) the world is destroyed in a nuclear war, I will come back to this page and say that I regret voting for Donald Trump

MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 10:02 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That selecting the wrong guy as President can get lots of people killed never seems to have occurred to the OP.
Selecting the right guy as president can get lots of people killed.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 10:22 PM   #15
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Selecting the right guy as president can get lots of people killed.
That pretty much depends on how you define "right guy". My checklist includes [ x ] Less likely to get lots of people killed. In fact, that's my over-riding priority.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:34 AM   #16
3point14
Pi

There's only one reason that I, a voter from a swing state, voted for Donald Trump. The 2020 election! Let's be honest, this was one unique election, an entertaining outsider republican with a rabid fan base vs a dull low energy establishment candidate with a fan base of soccer moms. In the final days of the election I felt sad that this election would end. Hillary would win and every thing would return to normal in politics and in 4 years president Clinton would be up against another boring establishment candidate. An election she surely would have lost. But Trump winning would change everything. In the next election he would be up against the runner up in the Dem primary. Who was that again? Oh right, Bernard Sanders.

Sanders would be a fool not to run again. He nearly beat Hillary this time and created a large fan base. And for those of you who say he's too old to run. Think about this, he said after he dropped out of the race last year that he would again run and serve for another term in 2018. This means he'll be active in politics until at least 2025. And yes he would be 77 if he starts campaigning in 2019, but remember that congressman Ron Paul was 76 when he campaigned for president in 2012.

Just think about it. The 2020 election will make this one seem boring. It will be the ultimate Republican vs the ultimate Democrat. It would be like JFK vs Ronald Reagan.

That is just about the most ******* mental justification for voting for an idiot that I've ever seen. And people in my country voted for Farridge.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:37 AM   #17
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sadly, that is a common mentality....and it ain't just the Trump supporters who have it. It seems to be pretty widespread. I guess people think it's edgy....
And Bernie Sanders is questionable for 2020 for one reason: His age. There is a very good chance he may not be in good enough health to run in 2020.
He should go and see Trump's Dr. I'm sure he will find Sanders is as fit as whatever Sanders pays the Dr. to say!
Old 17th February 2017, 01:38 AM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

By this logic, Hitler was the best thing that ever happened to Europe...
Old 17th February 2017, 01:43 AM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"He'd see this Kingdom burned to the ground if he could be king of the ashes." - Varys 'Game of Thrones'
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 03:25 AM   #20
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The OP reads like a cry for help.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 03:25 AM   #21
Belz...
Fiend God

Not buying it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 03:33 AM   #22
Lothian
should be banned

If your foot hurts go see a doctor and get it fixed, don't get a gun and fire at it.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 04:20 AM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The OP isn't that far a cry from the more common "If we elect really bad person from political stripe X everyone will finally realize how bad political stripe X is" which gets trotted out in various forms fairly often and which literally never works.

"Lose a battle to win a war" is a necessary strategy in certain scenarios, but rarely seems to pan out the way people want it to in politics.

Don't think that's what the OP is arguing for, just that it strikes me as similar.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 04:22 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also.

If the Democratic Party runs any candidate in the 2020 election which is already a well known member of the party they will lose and they deserve it.

The Democrats need a fresh face. The concept of "The establishment" is what lost them this one.
Old 17th February 2017, 04:30 AM   #25
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

The important thing isn't winning or losing; the important thing is to keep the game going.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:06 AM   #26
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You have one problem. Sanders will be 78 years old. The biggest risk to your strategy is father time.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:21 AM   #27
Mumbles
Philosopher

You should regret it already.

Sanders was simply not a good candidate. Yes, he was good on some issues. So was Clinton. He simply failed to appeal to the dem's base, that's why he lost.

Get over it.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:22 AM   #28
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
You have one problem. Sanders will be 78 years old. The biggest risk to your strategy is father time.
Give him a strapping young veep, a famous actor or something. Sanders dies after the election, and you can enjoy 8 years of President LaBoeuf.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 05:27 AM   #29
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
If your foot hurts go see a doctor and get it fixed, don't get a gun and fire at it.

Typical anti-USA hate - it is my constitutional right to shoot my foot off, and as soon as Trump sorts out Obamacare I'll be able to have the gangrene on my toes - hold on - sorry toe sorted out!
Old 17th February 2017, 06:08 AM   #30
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You put a traitor to his country in the White House for your own entertainment?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 06:10 AM   #31
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You put a traitor to his country in the White House for your own entertainment?
Amazing, isn't it?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 06:18 AM   #32
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

I have met Mr. Trump. He is no fool. Shrewd and cunning, rather than smart, perhaps. Entertaining is not, however, the word which I would use.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:16 AM   #33
The Shrike
Illuminator

I promise that if(and only if) the world is destroyed in a nuclear war, I will come back to this page and say that I regret voting for Donald Trump
Rather a high bar for regret, don't you think?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:42 AM   #34
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Architect View Post
I have met Mr. Trump. He is no fool. Shrewd and cunning, rather than smart, perhaps. Entertaining is not, however, the word which I would use.
No matter how you look at it, kernels of corn in a turd does not make it salsa.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:41 AM   #35
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You should regret it already.

Sanders was simply not a good candidate. Yes, he was good on some issues. So was Clinton. He simply failed to appeal to the dem's base, that's why he lost.

Get over it.
I would not go quite so far. I think Sanders was a very good candidate. Considering that he is not, technically, a party man at all, he did much better with the party than expected. He helped to steer the party in a more progressive direction and to hold the old pols' feet to the fire. Ultimately he was not a good enough candidate to take over the party, and that's no surprise, nor does it suggest any cabals or conspiracies even if you think it's too bad. Hillary was an old party loyalist, as well as being, in the opinion of many (myself included) a decent and viable candidate. I think Bernie was a very good candidate, and I think saying he was not is, in a subtle way, to do the same thing the trumpies are doing, suggesting that Hillary prevailed only through the failing of her opponents.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:53 AM   #36
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's a lot of political arguments or desires out there that, when you get right down to it, boil down to "I want the 'Other side' to screw up so bad that 'my side' finally gets everything it wants."

I've always found these rather distasteful. I did not vote for Trump. I did not want him to be our President. But I don't want the whole system do fail just so I can feel smug about "the other side" failing.

I want Donald Trump to fail politically. ("Fail" isn't exactly the term, but it's close.) But I want it to happen in a way that doesn't hurt the country. I still want him to succeed to a certain degree as President, because that's what's best for the country.
Old 17th February 2017, 09:07 AM   #37
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
There's a lot of political arguments or desires out there that, when you get right down to it, boil down to "I want the 'Other side' to screw up so bad that 'my side' finally gets everything it wants."

I've always found these rather distasteful. I did not vote for Trump. I did not want him to be our President. But I don't want the whole system do fail just so I can feel smug about "the other side" failing.

I want Donald Trump to fail politically. ("Fail" isn't exactly the term, but it's close.) But I want it to happen in a way that doesn't hurt the country. I still want him to succeed to a certain degree as President, because that's what's best for the country.
I want to see Trump fail hard and quickly enough that he gets ousted before his cronies have time to root too deeply into the establishment. I want to see the Russian influence scandal blow up in his face and result in his impeachment, perhaps restoring some degree of confidence in the integrity of our election process.

If this happens I am going to be smug as hell, yes, but the smugness is not why I want it to happen.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 09:11 AM   #38
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

The best thing that I have seen regarding Trump becoming the President is the comedy gold mine it has been for people like Alec Baldwin, Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee, and just about anyone else into political comedy.

It gives a current meaning to the old story about how 'Rome burned while Nero fiddled'.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 10:48 AM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The OP isn't that far a cry from the more common "If we elect really bad person from political stripe X everyone will finally realize how bad political stripe X is" which gets trotted out in various forms fairly often and which literally never works.

"

That was pretty much standard in the Stalinist era of Communsim. The KPD (German Communist Party) openly hoped that Hitler would get into office because they felt he would implode and bring about the Communist Revolution in Germany. It did not turn out that way.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 17th February 2017, 11:22 AM   #40
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
"I will never regret voting for Donald Trump"

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I would not go quite so far. I think Sanders was a very good candidate. Considering that he is not, technically, a party man at all, he did much better with the party than expected. He helped to steer the party in a more progressive direction and to hold the old pols' feet to the fire. Ultimately he was not a good enough candidate to take over the party, and that's no surprise, nor does it suggest any cabals or conspiracies even if you think it's too bad. Hillary was an old party loyalist, as well as being, in the opinion of many (myself included) a decent and viable candidate. I think Bernie was a very good candidate, and I think saying he was not is, in a subtle way, to do the same thing the trumpies are doing, suggesting that Hillary prevailed only through the failing of her opponents.
No, he was not. I'll give that Sanders did relatively well. However, he did not reach out to the dem's base. It's as simple as that.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics