ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations

Old 2nd March 2017, 01:39 PM   #81
fuelair
Banned

Ninjaed by TM!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:40 PM   #82
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Jeff Sessions is going to have a press conference at 4PM EST.
"I did not have sex with that ... ambassador."
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:41 PM   #83
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Ambassadors meet with other ambassadors. They don't meet directly with members of the other government's government (legislatures, judiciary, appointed ministers/Secretaries, etc).
You should fact check your assertions before you make them. This one sounds like you made it up out of whole cloth.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:44 PM   #84
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Ambassadors meet with other ambassadors. They don't meet directly with members of the other government's government (legislatures, judiciary, appointed ministers/Secretaries, etc).
https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/s...563200/photo/1
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:44 PM   #85
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Is that true? I'd be very interested to see what the Russian ambassador's schedule for a year might be like.
The Russian embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

also:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.48abc5d1fe9a
he Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

ETA: from stacko in another thread: https://twitter.com/adamentous/statu...90959193309186
We reached all 26 members of the 2016 Armed Services Committee to see who met with Russian envoy Kislyak in 2016. Sessions was the only one.

I imagine he would have met with all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. We want him to. We want to be able to interact with foreign governments, it's one of the jobs we task our national government with - international relations. More communication is better.
Which he ? And your lack of imagination is not a good argument.

Somehow we've come to a point where "speaking with Russians" is tantamount to calling ISIL. It isn't.
No we haven't.

We've come to a point where we have Manafort, Flynn, Sessions and as yet unnamed other frequently meeting with Russians during the campaign , and trying to cover it up and lie about it, which merits investigation and suspicion at this point.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 2nd March 2017 at 01:49 PM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:46 PM   #86
NoahFence
Banned

Place your bets!

I'm all in on "stays" - will I lose my money... again? (I went all in on Hillary. )

ETA: Live stream: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...velations.html
Flash game of buzzword Bingo!!

I call dibbs on "Fake News"
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:46 PM   #87
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Fine is an adjective ("I hope you have a fine day!"), noun ("You can start right after you pay the fine."), verb ("What, you don't remember being fined?"), and, yes, adverb ("Once you've accepted the need to fine tune your grammar, you'll be fine.").
Technically it should be finely tuned or fine-tuned. A tuned instrument uses tuned as an adjective, as such modifying tuned with another adjective requires the hyphen. If one were to say the instrument was finely tuned, tuned would be a verb, 'was tuned'.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd March 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:48 PM   #88
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
People usually don't have press conferences to resign.
I can't recall a single instance in this fiasco of an administration where a sentence that started with "People usually don't" meant anything, to be honest.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:49 PM   #89
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm not buying this charge of lying under oath.

First of all, Sessions knows his meeting(s) are a matter of public record - a lie doesn't work to conceal that. Second, he doesn't stop being a Senator because he's "helping Trump with his campaign." Third, meeting the Russian ambassador isn't at all suspicious - dirty dealings are hardly going to take place in an open meeting, when covert is so readily available.

This is a constructed scandal with no "there" there. The charge of lying under oath is being used as the camel's nose to wedge party politics into the tent.

I think Trump pushes back on this one and Sessions doesn't get fired or quit.

ETA: We are skeptics. Quit with the mud throwing and give us some proof.
We are skeptics, quit using contortions to explain away something blatantly obvious.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:51 PM   #90
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Place your bets!

I'm all in on "stays" - will I lose my money... again? (I went all in on Hillary. )

ETA: Live stream: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...velations.html
I with you, but I'm usually wrong too.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:51 PM   #91
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
I can't recall a single instance in this fiasco of an administration where a sentence that started with "People usually don't" meant anything, to be honest.
I'm still betting this is a push back/denial press conference. Put on a show for his audience of one.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:51 PM   #92
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
You missed the nuance in that link:
Quote:
fine
adverb
Definition of fine
: finely: such as
a : very well
b : all right
: with a very narrow margin of time or space
she had not intended to cut her escape so fine — Melinda Beck et al.
In both examples, fine is modified to make it an adverb.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:51 PM   #93
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Also, considering that it was Trump who was so keen on “law and order” during his campaign, then it is quite likely that the credibility of Trump will be deteriorated as well.
Nothing has managed to do that yet, to any meaningful degree.

Furthermore, even if Sessions does keep his job, then it makes it quite likely that some sort of special prosecutor/special investigator will be named since no one will trust the objectivity of Sessions in this matter.
In the post-factual world there is no such thing as "objectivity."

And please keep in mind, it was the issue of the special prosecutor concerning the Russian Hacking issue, and it was the special prosecutor which caused Nixon to develop an irreparable loss of credibility about 33 years ago.
43 years ago.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:52 PM   #94
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Flash game of buzzword Bingo!!

I call dibbs on "Fake News"
1000 point bonus if he manages to slip Benghazi in there.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:55 PM   #95
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand your question here.

I think there are many times in which an AG recused himself (am I wrong?) and therefore there must be some standards for such recusals. I confess that I'm far from certain how it works, but I think it usually works even without Franken.

Anyone with more knowledge want to fill me in?
It doesn't matter what the usual standard is. Trump's presidency is throwing the usual standards out the door.

ETA: Has Trump recused himself from keep close tabs on his business empire?

Last edited by Minoosh; 2nd March 2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:55 PM   #96
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Right ... and who would hold him accountable? Al Franken? Good luck with that.

Maybe rambling isn't the right word, but the question was so broadly stated that he gave Sessions an excuse to say something like, "I would look at the facts surrounding the contact and proceed from there." As I said, I only saw a brief snippet and I thought Sessions' answer was more to the point (if blatantly untrue) than Franken's question.
What is being aimed for is an independent investigation separate from the AG office altogether.

You can parse all you want, the consensus is building that Sessions lied.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:55 PM   #97
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
The Russian embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

also:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.48abc5d1fe9a
he Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

ETA: from stacko in another thread: https://twitter.com/adamentous/statu...90959193309186
We reached all 26 members of the 2016 Armed Services Committee to see who met with Russian envoy Kislyak in 2016. Sessions was the only one.
Do you believe them? Were they under oath? My understanding is that Senators lie about such meetings.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:56 PM   #98
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I guest the day will never come when the only time I see the word "Benghazi" is in a book on the North African campaign 1940 to 1943.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:56 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
... Yes we are skeptics- and I am skeptical of the spin-doctored far-fetched, retrospective attempts to explain why Sessions' straightforward denials of having met with Russian representatives were not perjury.
Well said.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:58 PM   #100
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Do you believe them? Were they under oath? My understanding is that Senators lie about such meetings.
So no interest in an honest discussion. Gotcha.
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:58 PM   #101
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Nothing has managed to do that yet, to any meaningful degree.
Quite true! Nothing yet, but the clock is still running.

Quote:
In the post-factual world there is no such thing as "objectivity."
Quite true! But people can be objective enough to do their job adequately.

Quote:
43 years ago.
Quite true! Serves me right trying to do math in my head while posting.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 01:59 PM   #102
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
1000 point bonus if he manages to slip Benghazi in there.
"Partisan attack"
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:03 PM   #103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is that true? I'd be very interested to see what the Russian ambassador's schedule for a year might be like. I imagine he would have met with all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons. We want him to. We want to be able to interact with foreign governments, it's one of the jobs we task our national government with - international relations. More communication is better.

Somehow we've come to a point where "speaking with Russians" is tantamount to calling ISIL. It isn't.
Yes, it is true.

Armed Services Committee Dem pokes at Sessions: We don't meet with ambassadors
Quote:
Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) on Thursday sought to refute Attorney General Jeff Sessions's claim that his contact with Russia was because he was a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Sessions, a former Republican senator, spoke twice with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. during the presidential campaign, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.

A Sessions spokesman insisted that the contact with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak was in his capacity as a member of the Armed Services Committee, not as a surrogate for Trump’s presidential campaign.

But McCaskill, also a member of the committee, tweeted that she has never had contact with the ambassador in her capacity on the Armed Services Committee.
McCaskill did meet with the Russian ambassador along with other Senators when the adoption ban kerfuffle occurred but it was not a one on one meeting and it was about a specific incident.

Quote:
The 20 senators who responded said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The report did not indicate whether McCaskill was one of the respondents.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:06 PM   #104
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
"Partisan attack"
"law and order"
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:06 PM   #105
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This might be yet another example of how it is not so much the initial problem,but the lying about it and the cover up that get you into trouble.
While that was true of Nixon, the Watergate burglars did actually go to jail for the "initial problem".
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:09 PM   #106
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Advance press on the 4:00 press conference is that Sessions will recuse himself. After the president said he shouldn't. CF as usual.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:09 PM   #107
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm voting recusal but no resignation. Sessions is just now starting.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:09 PM   #108
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

I thought it was extremely witty actually. If he were to rephrase it more pithily, it would be nom-worthy.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:10 PM   #109
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, did I forget to connect the dots in the right order again? I keep misplacing the script.

I was still working off the memo about "Russians" instead of "Russian Ambassador." Do phone calls count? Trips to Russia? How about congresspeople who help arrange trade agreements between their home states and Russian companies?

It's such a broad net. So many fishies to catch.

Last edited by marplots; 2nd March 2017 at 02:14 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:13 PM   #110
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm voting recusal but no resignation. Sessions is just now starting.
At 3:45, the RoguePOTUSStaff account tweeted, "It's time for a recusal"
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:16 PM   #111
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I thought it was extremely witty actually. If he were to rephrase it more pithily, it would be nom-worthy.
Oh, did I forget to connect the dots in the right order again? I keep misplacing the script.

I was still working off the memo about "Russians" instead of "Russian Ambassador." Do phone calls count? Trips to Russia? How about congresspeople who help arrange trade agreements between their home states and Russian companies?

It's such a broad net. So many fishies to catch.
Yes, it was a witty. But that, along with the parts of my posts and others that you chose to ignore tell me I'm wasting my time with you.

Kudos on your clever post though.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:18 PM   #112
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it was a witty. But that, along with the parts of my posts and others that you chose to ignore tell me I'm wasting my time with you.

Kudos on your clever post though.
Thank you, that is very kind.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:20 PM   #113
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter what the usual standard is. Trump's presidency is throwing the usual standards out the door.

ETA: Has Trump recused himself from keep close tabs on his business empire?
I don't disagree that Trump's got a really, really troubling set of conflicts of interest that some claim violate the emoluments clause. That's a different issue.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:21 PM   #114
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Nailed it. But it was an easy guess.

Sessions' statement about what the meeting with the ambassador was about was pretty flakey.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd March 2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:25 PM   #115
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Place your bets!

I bet 100 monopoly bux that he's gone by next month.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:26 PM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, he is recusing himself.
And I suspect that we will not be hearing much about the War On Pot for a while,given the weak support he is getting.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:28 PM   #117
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Nailed it. But it was an easy guess.

Sessions statement about what the meeting with the ambassador was about was pretty flakey.
Along with his claim to have met the Ukrainian ambassador the day before. It's a regular United Nations.

I don't know why some Congresspeople like to dabble in foreign affairs. Rep Gabbard going to Syria or Sen Franken going to Afghanistan and Pakistan. I've always assumed it's part of their jobs, but maybe not.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:29 PM   #118
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Sessions seemed "old man" confused. Not encouraging.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:30 PM   #119
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
VERY selective cropping of images of tweets. Official business meetings with groups/committees is not the same as private 1 on 1 meetings of the sort Sessions is said to have had.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:32 PM   #120
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Sessions seemed "old man" confused. Not encouraging.
He was so "taken aback" by Senator Franken's question that he was unable to answer it truthfully? That contradicts the honest and truthful at the time excuse.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics