ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations

Old 3rd March 2017, 08:39 AM   #241
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Do you see what's wrong with calling that a lie?
I hope they let Flynn know he can have his job back, then, since sunmaster14 thinks he resigned for no reason at all.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 08:41 AM   #242
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
The easy answer is : the US system gives a far too much weight to equality between states, rather than equality between voters, furthered by winner-take-all. The misguided attempt end up giving disproportional voting power to small rural populations. Most democracy simply give 1 person == 1 vote but the electoral vote break that down.

Basically, the few protection which would have protected against some body like trump or worst (the EC) was broken : originally the EC/State did directly chose the president to avoid a populist like Trump. But instead voter advise the EC, but each EC vote is not voter proportional/population proportional.

Basically you get the worst of the two worlds.

And it will not get better with time. Now that some have seen that populism works, you can bet that the next elections will also appeal to the worst of what the people have to offer, very often available in plenty in rural zone (we have the same problem here in France/Germany).

Basically : TL;DR you will now get on regular basis trumpalikes, at least until either you system is reformed, or the rural folk die out in a few generations and slowly they are replaced by younger people from outside that dead end culture.
I was more or less with you, but I must object to two points. Rural culture isn't a dead end. I'm quite taken with some aspects of rural culture and miss living in Oklahoma. Second, if I understand correctly, it was the swing of the rust belt, not the farmlands, that drove this ******* to victory.

Let's not allow Trump's victory to give us license to disparage mostly decent folks.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:02 AM   #243
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That is the most modest, self-deprecating statement from a Trump supporter that I've seen thus far. There is hope.
Well, he talks big.

Old 3rd March 2017, 09:03 AM   #244
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Wow that article is embarrassingly inaccurate (perhaps purposefully).
You seem to see conspiracies everywhere. But I admit, it's huffpo, I picked it quickly simply for the numbers, which you don't appear to disagree with. Do you ?

You should hide your head in shame for citing it.
No more so than you for reflexively defending trump, no matter the issue.

The very first paragraph is wrong (my emphasis added):
President Donald Trump’s administration has now conceded that some of its top officials did indeed have contact with Russia during the campaign. Michael Flynn lost his job as national security adviser over the admission last month, ...
I don't see what's wrong. What nit would you like to pick ?

And here is what the article cites as Pence's alleged lie (emphasis added):

That Pence is a bumbling uninformed stooge ? I agree we don't have evidence of what pence knew and when. If you want to say it's not a lie (yet), I probably agree.

But again, it's huffpo. The point is, we are now up to at least 5 trump campaign members having contact with the Russians, with Trump and others denying anyone did.
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:04 AM   #245
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Let's not allow Trump's victory to give us license to disparage mostly decent folks.
Agreed. They live in Oklahoma. They've suffered enough.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:07 AM   #246
The_Animus
Illuminator

Quote:
The Trump administration says Attorney General Jeff Sessions was acting as a then-U.S. senator when he talked to Russia’s ambassador at an event during last year’s Republican National Convention in Cleveland, but Sessions paid for convention travel expenses out of his own political funds and he spoke about Donald Trump’s campaign at the event, according to a person at the event and campaign-finance records.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ses...dor-2017-03-02

Now obviously 'according to a person at the event' is not reliable evidence. The campaign finance records are though. Instead of using work funds available for this sort of thing he used his own political funds. Doesn't prove anything, but a little odd.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:36 AM   #247
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
You seem to see conspiracies everywhere. But I admit, it's huffpo, I picked it quickly simply for the numbers, which you don't appear to disagree with. Do you ?
I'm the one who sees conspiracies everywhere? I'm not one of those recently (and conveniently) turned Russophobes who is searching high and low for evidence of contacts with Boris and Natasha. Did you check under your bed, by the way? There might be a Russkie hiding there. Also, I had a pastrami sandwich with Russian dressing yesterday. Do you think the Democratic party or the mainstream media (but I repeat myself) would be interested in that?

Quote:
No more so than you for reflexively defending trump, no matter the issue.
I do not reflexively defend Trump. It only seems like I do because I reflexively push back on nonsense, and Trump is making Democrats crazy.

Quote:
I don't see what's wrong. What nit would you like to pick ?
Flynn resigned because of a contact he had during the transition, not during the campaign. The campaign ended on November 8, 2016. Or at least it was supposed to.

Quote:
That Pence is a bumbling uninformed stooge ? I agree we don't have evidence of what pence knew and when. If you want to say it's not a lie (yet), I probably agree.
Not even necessarily misleading. He was asked about contacts with the Russians who were trying to meddle in the campaign. We do not know that the Russian ambassador had anything to do with the hacking of the DNC or John Podesta, or any other meddling. In fact, I'm inclined to doubt that he knew about it except in the most general terms.

Quote:
But again, it's huffpo. The point is, we are now up to at least 5 trump campaign members having contact with the Russians, with Trump and others denying anyone did.
Well, if you carefully read what A'isha wrote, you would see that those extra guys don't count.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:45 AM   #248
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I'm the one who sees conspiracies everywhere? I'm not one of those recently (and conveniently) turned Russophobes who is searching high and low for evidence of contacts with Boris and Natasha.
I've been intensely critical of Russia here since before the Ukraine invasion (and I've been actually critical of Russia since long before then, I just didn't post much about it).

Quote:
do not reflexively defend Trump.
Of course you do. That's why your defense here has been sad-sack nonsense like "Flynn resigned for lying about his communication with Russian officials during the transition, not the campaign! Checkmate, libs!"

Quote:
Well, if you carefully read what A'isha wrote, you would see that those extra guys don't count.
Oh, do tell.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 3rd March 2017 at 09:47 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:58 AM   #249
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
If Trump is indicative of the 'mainstream' I wouldn't want to be in touch with them...
Well, I'm certainly delighted about that. That will keep your side in the wilderness.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:59 AM   #250
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
That's your defense for Trump's son-in-law being revealed to have met with Russian officials alongside Flynn after months of denials that Flynn talked to anyone or that anyone in the administration knew about it? That the Russian Ambassador attended Trump's speech to Congress but "sat near Democrats"?

That deserves a laughing dog.
Denied talking about the campaign.

It also talked about Dems meeting him also, right before your very eyes, oh my!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:01 AM   #251
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I'm the one who sees conspiracies everywhere? I'm not one of those recently (and conveniently) turned Russophobes who is searching high and low for evidence of contacts with Boris and Natasha. Did you check under your bed, by the way? There might be a Russkie hiding there. Also, I had a pastrami sandwich with Russian dressing yesterday. Do you think the Democratic party or the mainstream media (but I repeat myself) would be interested in that?
See below.

I do not reflexively defend Trump. It only seems like I do because I reflexively push back on nonsense, and Trump is making Democrats crazy.
Disagree.

Flynn resigned because of a contact he had during the transition, not during the campaign. The campaign ended on November 8, 2016. Or at least it was supposed to.
So a nit.

Not even necessarily misleading. He was asked about contacts with the Russians who were trying to meddle in the campaign. We do not know that the Russian ambassador had anything to do with the hacking of the DNC or John Podesta, or any other meddling. In fact, I'm inclined to doubt that he knew about it except in the most general terms.
So a nit.

I guess we'll have to see how the "less than honest" part plays out before I conclude they don't count.

ETA:In February, former Donald Trump campaign adviser Carter Page told Judy Woodruff on the PBS NewsHour that he had “no meetings” with Russian officials last year.

So he definitely counts.

Last edited by TheL8Elvis; 3rd March 2017 at 10:16 AM.
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:04 AM   #252
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
So how's everybody doing this morning?
Actually the weather is quite nice here. After skimming this thread I may just head back outside.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:05 AM   #253
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't know, how about highlighting the words in a way that changes their meaning, sunmaster? How about we try it this way:

Quote:
“Just to button up one question, did any adviser or anybody in the Trump campaign have any contact with the Russians, who were trying to meddle in the election?” CBS “Face the Nation” host John Dickerson asked.
Gee, that seems to change the meaning, doesn't it?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:07 AM   #254
Belz...
Fiend God

I've been intensely critical of Russia here since before the Ukraine invasion (and I've been actually critical of Russia since long before then, I just didn't post much about it).
Yeah. Aside from kicking Nazi ass, when's the last time that Russia was a force for positive change in the world?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:19 AM   #255
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Denied talking about the campaign.
Denied talking about sanctions, when he actually did talk about sanctions.

Quote:
It also talked about Dems meeting him also, right before your very eyes, oh my!
No it didn't, it linked to a tweet from a Fox News talking head claiming he once saw Dianne Feinstein eating with the Russian Ambassador in the Senate Dining Room (where everyone knows meetings with foreign diplomats always take place).

Old 3rd March 2017, 10:20 AM   #256
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yeah. Aside from kicking Nazi ass, when's the last time that Russia was a force for positive change in the world?
They brought us Tetris.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:24 AM   #257
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I hope they let Flynn know he can have his job back, then, since sunmaster14 thinks he resigned for no reason at all.
Technically, it was his less-than-candid disclosure to Mike Pence, wasn't it?

ETA: Or just a kind of critical mass as is often the case. I remember Conway being grilled about the timing and apparent urgency of Flynn's resignation, when Trump had apparently known of the situation for some time.

Last edited by Minoosh; 3rd March 2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Editing my edit
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:24 AM   #258
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Their space program is pretty swell... They currently have the only means of getting humans to the ISS. Who would have thought that the Soyuz would be a workhorse in the 21st century?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:27 AM   #259
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Well, the crushing Jew-hatred did end up flooding NY with a lot of talented barbers.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:27 AM   #260
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Denied talking about sanctions, when he actually did talk about sanctions.

No it didn't, it linked to a tweet from a Fox News talking head claiming he once saw Dianne Feinstein eating with the Russian Ambassador in the Senate Dining Room (where everyone knows meetings with foreign diplomats always take place).
Yes, I read the tweets.

I wonder WHEN ole Brit saw Diane Feinstein eating with the Russian Ambassador.

Was it during a national convention?
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:31 AM   #261
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
They brought us Tetris.

ETA: They also inspired the competitiveness that ultimately benefited the U.S.

Last edited by Minoosh; 3rd March 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:35 AM   #262
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, ...

There are the Russian Roads,
the Russian Sewage System,
the Russian Education Programs,
the Russian Medicine, and
the Russian Law and Order.

Oh sorry!

It was actually the Romans who provided all of that to Judea.

P.S.: I totally stole this joke from Monty Python!
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:36 AM   #263
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Have you ever thought of why your side is in such a terrible position?
Your side sells hate and ignorance with astounding success.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:38 AM   #264
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Technically, it was his less-than-candid disclosure to Mike Pence, wasn't it?
Yes, but sunmaster14 is apparently arguing that Flynn had contact with the Russians during the transition, and Pence's statement based on what Flynn told him referred strictly and specifically to the campaign, therefore neither Flynn nor Pence lied about anything.

Old 3rd March 2017, 10:48 AM   #265
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

... snipped for relevance ...

... snipped for relevance ...
I quite agree! You sure do seem to reflexively defend Trump.

Such as just yesterday, you were defended Trump for using teleprompters when he was both a presidential candidate and as president, and yet it was this very same Trump who bitched and complained when both a presidential candidate and a sitting president used a teleprompter.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:29 AM   #266
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Kicked Nazi ass? The Soviet Union had 20,000,000 war dead and took 350,000 casualties in less than 3 weeks trying to take Berlin. Sure they won, but that's not my working definition of kicking anything except lots of buckets.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:10 PM   #267
Belz...
Fiend God

Kicked Nazi ass? The Soviet Union had 20,000,000 war dead and took 350,000 casualties in less than 3 weeks trying to take Berlin. Sure they won, but that's not my working definition of kicking anything except lots of buckets.
Now you're just disagreeing for its own sake.

Old 3rd March 2017, 12:53 PM   #268
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Got it in one!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:55 PM   #269
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Wow that article is embarrassingly inaccurate (perhaps purposefully). You should hide your head in shame for citing it.

The very first paragraph is wrong (my emphasis added):

And here is what the article cites as Pence's alleged lie (emphasis added):

Do you understand that the issue is not whether or not Pence lied, but whether he was lied to. And this seems to be universally accepted: Flynn claimed to not have spoken about sanctions with the Russian ambassador, but Flynn did speak about sanctions with him.

What's a bit more shameful is that Trump knew about Flynn's lie three weeks before Pence, who learned about it by watching or reading the news. Pence should feel mighty ashamed by allowing himself to be treated so badly. But Pence is a very fine li'l soldier and won't show any evidence of annoyance.

Anyway, nice way to pretend the issue here is with what Pence said, rather than what he was told.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:57 PM   #270
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Agreed. They live in Oklahoma. They've suffered enough.
Hey, now. Oklahoma can be a decent place to live. Stillwater was a great town, back in my day. A little duller now, from what I've seen.
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:23 PM   #271
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Do you understand that the issue is not whether or not Pence lied, but whether he was lied to. And this seems to be universally accepted: Flynn claimed to not have spoken about sanctions with the Russian ambassador, but Flynn did speak about sanctions with him.

What's a bit more shameful is that Trump knew about Flynn's lie three weeks before Pence, who learned about it by watching or reading the news. Pence should feel mighty ashamed by allowing himself to be treated so badly. But Pence is a very fine li'l soldier and won't show any evidence of annoyance.

Anyway, nice way to pretend the issue here is with what Pence said, rather than what he was told.
I was only commenting on the inaccuracy of the HuffPo article. It was a mess.
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:41 PM   #272
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I was only commenting on the inaccuracy of the HuffPo article. It was a mess.
No it wasn't.
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:52 PM   #273
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
<snip>

And considering the horribly short attention span that Trump has, then it is usually better to use his current statements on issues as opposed to his previous statements on issues if one wants to know his mind on this, that, or the other.

<snip>

Assumes facts not in evidence.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:11 PM   #274
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ses...dor-2017-03-02

Now obviously 'according to a person at the event' is not reliable evidence. The campaign finance records are though. Instead of using work funds available for this sort of thing he used his own political funds. Doesn't prove anything, but a little odd.
Regarding this, seems like he either lied previously and committed perjury, or committed campaign finance fraud.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:17 PM   #275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

When is this going to get more attention:

5 times Donald Trump’s team denied contact with Russia
Quote:
But importantly, the new reports do seem to contradict claims the Trump campaign and now the Trump White House have made about their lack of contact with Russia. They have said in various ways that there was no contact, on multiple occasions, and as recently as Tuesday afternoon.

Trump reportedly denied any campaign-season contact between those close to him and Russia after a mid-January news conference. After being asked about it at the end of the conference, he didn't answer the question. Reporters chased him down afterward, at which point, according to CNN's Jim Acosta and ABC's Cecilia Vega, Trump flatly denied any contact between his associates or his campaign and Russia.
Direct contradictions, Trump knew full well about Flynn's contacts and surely he knew about his son-in-law meeting at Trump Towers.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 02:25 PM   #276
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Regarding this, seems like he either lied previously and committed perjury, or committed campaign finance fraud.
Maybe. This isn't so clear to me. It certainly requires some investigation.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:20 PM   #277
Fudbucker
Philosopher

The Democrats botched this line of attack. Claire Mccaskill and Nancy Pelosi can't even get their own stories straight about meeting with Russian officials. Have the Russians infiltrated both political parties?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:26 PM   #278
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Your side exploits the races to gain votes. Your side has a KKK senator. Your side is Goerge Wallace, Bull Conor, William Fulbright.

My side has people like Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther king.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:29 PM   #279
logger
Banned

Lol

I just heard Obama met with him 22 amazing times! Bet they were giggling about how stupid hillary and podesta were.
Old 3rd March 2017, 05:31 PM   #280
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
The Democrats botched this line of attack. Claire Mccaskill and Nancy Pelosi can't even get their own stories straight about meeting with Russian officials. Have the Russians infiltrated both political parties?
Do you have a link where democrats have lied about contacts with Russian government officials?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics