ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th May 2019, 04:28 PM   #2201
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Do I think McConnell is awful? Yes I do. I'm not defending him. There is no excuse for his anti-democratic actions. I grant you that there had been a long history of anti-semitism raging in Europe for centuries. But it's impossible for me to compare the inhumanity of Hitler and the NAZIs to anything McConnell and Trump have done so far.
This is what progressives actually believe.
Old 26th May 2019, 04:36 PM   #2202
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Do I think McConnell is awful? Yes I do. I'm not defending him. There is no excuse for his anti-democratic actions. I grant you that there had been a long history of anti-semitism raging in Europe for centuries. But it's impossible for me to compare the inhumanity of Hitler and the NAZIs to anything McConnell and Trump have done so far.
For Trump to act like Hitler, it's simply a case of he would if he could. He would have no qualms about it simply because he would have no conscience about it. He would be oblivious, as he is oblivious now, to anyone else suffering provided he gets his own way. It is only "circumstances" which have held him back (Fake News, Obama conspiracy, the Dems obstruction, etc. etc.)
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 05:56 PM   #2203
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
For Trump to act like Hitler, it's simply a case of he would if he could. He would have no qualms about it simply because he would have no conscience about it. He would be oblivious, as he is oblivious now, to anyone else suffering provided he gets his own way. It is only "circumstances" which have held him back (Fake News, Obama conspiracy, the Dems obstruction, etc. etc.)
No, I don't buy that. i grant you that Trump is oblivious to other's suffering and even lacks a conscience. Trump cares about one thing, himself. He's overly susceptible to complements and criticism. But no way does he rage with hate the way Hitler did. Trump loves attention and is bigoted. You could say he is a racist, but Its racist with a small "r". Hitler proactively wanted purge Germany of anyone who wasn't part of the Aryan race.

I can't believe I'm defending this turd. I'm really not. Trump may destroy democracy in America...which would be a horrible thing. But that still pales in comparison to the destruction of Hitler.
Old 26th May 2019, 05:59 PM   #2204
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump doesn't have enough personality or drive or passion to be the next Hitler.

He's pure Id. There's no person there just a persona.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 07:02 PM   #2205
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump doesn't have enough personality or drive or passion to be the next Hitler.

Yep. That's just how I see it. Trump is too self centered to have a grand plan and carry it out. I think his tantrum over the infrastructure meeting was as much about his unwillingness to work on an infrastructure plan. Something I think Trump would like to see happen. But to do that would require actual work.

Everything he does is about him and has nothing to do with helping others. It never has been about anything or anyone but him.
Old 26th May 2019, 07:20 PM   #2206
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No, I don't buy that. i grant you that Trump is oblivious to other's suffering and even lacks a conscience. Trump cares about one thing, himself. He's overly susceptible to complements and criticism. But no way does he rage with hate the way Hitler did. Trump loves attention and is bigoted. You could say he is a racist, but Its racist with a small "r". Hitler proactively wanted purge Germany of anyone who wasn't part of the Aryan race.

I can't believe I'm defending this turd. I'm really not. Trump may destroy democracy in America...which would be a horrible thing. But that still pales in comparison to the destruction of Hitler.
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Yep. That's just how I see it. Trump is too self centered to have a grand plan and carry it out. I think his tantrum over the infrastructure meeting was as much about his unwillingness to work on an infrastructure plan. Something I think Trump would like to see happen. But to do that would require actual work.

Everything he does is about him and has nothing to do with helping others. It never has been about anything or anyone but him.
I agree with you all.

I suppose my comment was more along the lines that Trump would not baulk at a bout of Hitlerish behaviour if it paid off for him personally. Just that the occasion hasn't really arisen yet, or other factors have prevented it. He would also not baulk at stealing, lying, cheating and any other anti-social behaviour either if it paid off for him personally. He is entirely amoral.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 07:58 PM   #2207
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with you all.

I suppose my comment was more along the lines that Trump would not baulk at a bout of Hitlerish behaviour if it paid off for him personally. Just that the occasion hasn't really arisen yet, or other factors have prevented it. He would also not baulk at stealing, lying, cheating and any other anti-social behaviour either if it paid off for him personally. He is entirely amoral.
I wouldn't put anything past him. But Trump has no plan, other than enriching himself and being the object of servility.
Old 26th May 2019, 07:59 PM   #2208
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

You do recall we literally have concentration camps now, right?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 08:10 PM   #2209
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You do recall we literally have concentration camps now, right?
Don't get me wrong. Totally atrocious. But we also had them during WWII. And they still didn't compare to what happened in Germany in the 30s and 40s.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:26 PM   #2210
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Don't get me wrong. Totally atrocious. But we also had them during WWII. And they still didn't compare to what happened in Germany in the 30s and 40s.
Yet we're comparing them. Tell me, which one was it again that had a policy of forced family separations, the way we do now?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 09:39 PM   #2211
Bob001
Philosopher

The question is not what have they done so far. The question is what would they do if they could? And what will they do if they can?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 09:39 PM   #2212
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Comparison isn't the same as equation.

McConnell is GOP apparatchik who sees Democracy as the obstacle to success ... much like the leaders of the NSDAP did.

There is no question that, left unopposed, McConnell would undo free elections and the separation of power.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 26th May 2019 at 09:40 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 09:46 PM   #2213
Bob001
Philosopher

Nobody seems to care that Trump has called for the death penalty -- in effect -- for James Comey and Andrew McCabe.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...eason-lol.html

If this thug called for his base to grab their guns and "Save America!," does anyone doubt that they would?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 10:09 PM   #2214
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump has given Barr unlimited power to investigate his "enemies" - another article in the Nixon Impeachment which for some reason is perfectly acceptable today.
Old 26th May 2019, 10:36 PM   #2215
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If this thug called for his base to grab their guns and "Save America!," does anyone doubt that they would?
I doubt they would. These people are not fundamentally interested in cooperating. Plus they're probably a bunch of scaredy-cats.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 10:41 PM   #2216
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump has given Barr unlimited power to investigate his "enemies" - another article in the Nixon Impeachment which for some reason is perfectly acceptable today.
I don't think Barr has the guts to do more than he has so far. Of course, I could be wrong.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 10:57 PM   #2217
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't think Barr has the guts to do more than he has so far. Of course, I could be wrong.
I believe you are wrong. Barr is garbage and is willing to break any law he thinks he can get away with for Trump's advantage.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 10:58 PM   #2218
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I agree with you all.

He already has. He's stolen from his foundation to pay for personal items, he's lied to the American people on a pathological level, he's cheated on all his wives and at golf according to some who have played with him. And if his taxes are ever revealed, I suspect we'll discover he's cheated on them, too. Yes, he is entirely amoral. I think he is capable of almost anything if it benefited him and he thought he could get away with it. And, sadly, he has so far.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2019, 11:00 PM   #2219
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Nobody seems to care that Trump has called for the death penalty -- in effect -- for James Comey and Andrew McCabe.
Among others. With that said, it's not that no one cares. NBC News, for example, still has an article up addressing it. The "left," of course, hasn't forgotten or forgiven that.

Some of them would, yes. The ones that have been itching to fight in another Civil War. I'm pretty sure that we're not quite to the point where that number is more than a very small minority, though. They could certainly do a lot of damage, of course, though, and likely rip the Republican Party to shreds in the process.

Hard to say, with Barr. If he thinks that he can get away with it, chances are very good that he will do more than he is now, though. He's not even remotely a respectable or nonpartisan agent, after all.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:04 PM   #2220
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Barr has a history of misquoting sources to support his side and undermine his opposition. Even harmless information could be weaponized for 2020 in his hands.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:32 PM   #2221
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Hard to say, with Barr. If he thinks that he can get away with it, chances are very good that he will do more than he is now, though. He's not even remotely a respectable or nonpartisan agent, after all.
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Barr has a history of misquoting sources to support his side and undermine his opposition. Even harmless information could be weaponized for 2020 in his hands.
All true I'm sure. I do think he cares about respect from other lawyers. I get the feeling a lot of them see him as a chump right now.
Old 27th May 2019, 02:15 AM   #2222
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

.@ianbremmer now admits that he MADE UP “a completely ludicrous quote,” attributing it to me. This is what’s going on in the age of Fake News. People think they can say anything and get away with it. Really, the libel laws should be changed to hold Fake News Media accountable!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 02:17 AM   #2223
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Impeach for what, having created perhaps the greatest Economy in our Country’s history, rebuilding our Military, taking care of our Vets (Choice), Judges, Best Jobs Numbers Ever, and much more? Dems are Obstructionists!

The Dems are getting NOTHING done in Congress! They only want a Do-Over on Mueller!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 03:05 AM   #2224
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Impeach for what, having created perhaps the greatest Economy in our Country’s history, rebuilding our Military, taking care of our Vets (Choice), Judges, Best Jobs Numbers Ever, and much more? Dems are Obstructionists!

The Dems are getting NOTHING done in Congress! They only want a Do-Over on Mueller!
No, Mr. President, the Democrats in Congress are not looking for a do-over. They are not you on a golf course.
Old 27th May 2019, 03:47 AM   #2225
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I doubt they would. These people are not fundamentally interested in cooperating. Plus they're probably a bunch of scaredy-cats.
I think the latter point is a dangerous assumption.

I don’t know the percentage, but they have in their ranks ex-military and retired and active police officers. Head-to-head against a united military, they would have no chance of “winning”. But taking to the hills and using guerrilla tactics, they could do a lot of damage. Think Timothy McVeigh.
Old 27th May 2019, 04:22 AM   #2226
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I do. You don't take up arms and try to overthrow an election or a government unless you're certain to win. This is true Game of Thrones you win or you die time. It's not something you can try and then just go home if it doesn't work.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 04:49 AM   #2227
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, Trump just slammed Biden for having a low IQ during a press conference with the Japanese PM. I guess the stupid bitch would be an expert on having a low IQ. While we are at it, maybe the stupid bitch could stop embarrassing the country by engaging in electoral politics while talking with a foreign leader. Probably too much to hope for. Not humiliating your country requires a certain level of patriotism, something Trump has never had.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 04:58 AM   #2228
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I do. You don't take up arms and try to overthrow an election or a government unless you're certain to win. This is true Game of Thrones you win or you die time. It's not something you can try and then just go home if it doesn't work.
In their minds they won't be overthrowing a government, but defending one. They may be thugs, but they'll think they're patriots.
Old 27th May 2019, 05:13 AM   #2229
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
In their minds they won't be overthrowing a government, but defending one. They may be thugs, but they'll think they're patriots.
Even the dumbest among them probably realize that they'd be all in at that point. They would be facing armed police, possibly real soldiers and a government with a long reach and longer memory.
Old 27th May 2019, 05:19 AM   #2230
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Even the dumbest among them probably realize that they'd be all in at that point.
I wonder...
Old 27th May 2019, 05:50 AM   #2231
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think that when he loses, he'll just quit, go to Mara Lago and make angry tweets for the rest if his presidency. I doubt he'll have the courage to attend the inauguration. He will probably order the Executive to not work with the transition team.
Old 27th May 2019, 05:59 AM   #2232
Bob001
Philosopher

Wow, Trump just slammed Biden for having a low IQ during a press conference with the Japanese PM. I guess the stupid bitch would be an expert on having a low IQ.

Even worse than that, the White House has announced that Trump agrees with North Korea's psychokiller dictator about Biden.
Quote:
“I think they agree in their assessment of former Vice President Joe Biden,” Sanders said of Trump and Kim during an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press.” She was speaking from Japan during a state visit by Trump.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SW0HQ
Old 27th May 2019, 06:11 AM   #2233
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Dems, the ball is in your court to nominate KJU for 2020.
Old 27th May 2019, 07:22 AM   #2234
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Liz Cheney: Statements by agents investigating Trump 'could well be treason'
Old 27th May 2019, 07:36 AM   #2235
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump could help the investigation by lending them his Hawaiian snoops who found Obama's birth certificate.
Old 27th May 2019, 07:43 AM   #2236
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Liz Cheney: Statements by agents investigating Trump 'could well be treason'
They 'could well be' palindromes. Which is far more likely than anything actually constituting 'treason'.

Now, treasonous palindromes, what are the odds of that?
Old 27th May 2019, 07:46 AM   #2237
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

From https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...could-well-be?

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) said on Sunday that statements by FBI agents investigating President Trump sounded “an awful lot like a coup, and it could well be treason.”

Cheney told Martha Raddatz on ABC’s “This Week” that the beginnings of special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation were suspect and need to be investigated.

Rep. Liz Cheney: "We had people that are at the highest levels of our law enforcement ... saying that they were going to stop a duly elected president of the United States."
"That sounds an awful lot like a coup and it could well be treason,"

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a separate interview on Sunday that the Trump administration “already” knows that there was a high level of corruption at the FBI.

"We already know that there was an outrageous amount of corruption that took place at the F.B.I. They leaked information. They lied. They were specifically working trying to take down the president, trying to hurt the president," Sanders said on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"We'll leave the final call up to the attorney general and he'll get to the bottom of it. But we think Americans deserve the truth. The president's asked for that. And we should expect nothing less,” she added.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:42 AM   #2238
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Even the dumbest among them probably realize that they'd be all in at that point. They would be facing armed police, possibly real soldiers and a government with a long reach and longer memory.

I think in the posited scenario, they wouldn't be fighting the government, they'd be fighting their neighbors. Get a few militia units riled up, tell them the local barrio is a haven of Mexican Rapists from Guatemala who are stealing all the jobs&welfare, and then let them loose for a bit of ethnic cleansing.
Old 27th May 2019, 08:44 AM   #2239
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
They 'could well be' palindromes. Which is far more likely than anything actually constituting 'treason'.

Now, treasonous palindromes, what are the odds of that?
RAW EVIL WAS I - I SAW LIVE WAR

Last edited by alfaniner; 27th May 2019 at 10:20 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th May 2019, 09:04 AM   #2240
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
RAW EVIL WAS I - SAW LIVE WAR
after the dash should be an I as this is written here or there should be a carefully chosen word between them( this is the more likely).
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics