IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , congressional elections , david perdue , Georgia elections , Jon Ossoff , Kelly Loeffler , Raphael Warnock

Old 8th January 2021, 05:38 AM   #281
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Pretty remarkable shift in just two months, because Perdue missed the 50 % direct win threshold in the first round by only about 15k votes.
Yep, I am the record that Dems won't win either of the two seats in Georgia.
Never was I so glad to be so wrong about something.

On the flip side, Ossoff's election to the US Senate at the age of 33 is a nightmare for every Jewish boy now. "What, you're only a lawyer with 1.000.000 $/year at 34, Simon? Ossoff sat in the f- Senate before that!, oy vey!"
Old 8th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #282
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Pretty remarkable shift in just two months, because Perdue missed the 50 % direct win threshold in the first round by only about 15k votes.
That was before Trump came to town to help him campaign.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:10 PM   #283
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

On the flip side, Ossoff's election to the US Senate at the age of 33 is a nightmare for every Jewish boy now. "What, you're only a lawyer with 1.000.000 $/year at 34, Simon? Ossoff sat in the f- Senate before that!, oy vey!"
I would have agreed in early nov, though loeffler was fairly vulnerable. but a lot changed since then
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:11 PM   #284
Firestone

Perdue has conceded.

In his concession statement, he manages not to mention the name of the next Senator, Jon Ossoff.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29D2SM

Quote:
A source with Jon Ossoff’s campaign confirms to CNN that Senator David Perdue did not call Jon Ossoff to concede, instead releasing a paper statement today that did not name the new Democratic Senator-elect by name.

https://twitter.com/holmescnn/status...983458817?s=19

Last edited by Firestone; 8th January 2021 at 02:12 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #285
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP refrained from pulling out the Anti Semitism this time, they won't the next time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:37 AM   #286
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Perdue has conceded.

In his concession statement, he manages not to mention the name of the next Senator, Jon Ossoff.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN29D2SM
Republicans are the sorest losers ever. It's become the party of bullies who turn into cry-babies when they don't get their way.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 12:05 PM   #287
Firestone

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Republicans are the sorest losers ever. It's become the party of bullies who turn into cry-babies when they don't get their way.
Indeed.

And it has dark roots in US history.
A chilling opinion on Politico: Wake Up, America. This Is Who We Are

Quote:
For at least three decades, Americans have watched one incident after another of democratic backsliding and hoped, similarly, that these moments don’t represent who we are. There was the movement to delegitimize Barack Obama based on a false claim about where he was born. There were the Republican state legislators in North Carolina and Wisconsin who stripped constitutional and statutory powers from incoming Democratic governors. Earlier this week, there was the GOP-controlled state Senate in Pennsylvania that simply refused to seat a duly elected Democratic member, using its procedural powers to block the decision of the voters.

In the longer arc of history, these backslides aren’t an aberration at all. In fact, they’re quintessentially American, with roots in one of the deepest divisions in American politics, the conflict over race and power. Since the nation’s founding, a large portion of white citizens have embraced free and democratic elections only when the political system did not require them to share power with people of color.

This toxic current has shifted over the years. It was once the province of Democrats, and now it lives squarely in the GOP. The geography has changed, too. This used to be a uniquely Southern problem, but demographic changes over the past several decades — creating a realignment that has rendered the Republican Party more homogeneous and the Democratic Party more diverse — have made it national. What hasn’t changed is the underlying pattern, the one growing stronger in today’s Republican Party: a stubborn, and increasingly dangerous, contempt for the will of anyone’s voters but their own.
Old 11th January 2021, 04:17 AM   #288
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed.

And it has dark roots in US history.
A chilling opinion on Politico: Wake Up, America. This Is Who We Are
A very apt way of expressing it!!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:06 PM   #289
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Because this got rather over-shadowed by recent events:

Final results:

Ossoff (D) +55k votes won by 1.2%

Warnock (D) +93K votes won by 2.0%

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:52 AM   #290
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Because this got rather over-shadowed by recent events:

Final results:

Ossoff (D) +55k votes won by 1.2%

Warnock (D) +93K votes won by 2.0%
Yeah, but once the illegally case votes are stripped out, the GOP candidates won bigly.

Have both GOP candidates conceded ?

Are they challenging the results in the courts ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 01:57 AM   #291
Firestone

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yeah, but once the illegally case votes are stripped out, the GOP candidates won bigly.
Obviously.
Also, they would have lost by 20% if Trump hadn't tirelessly campaigned for them.

Have both GOP candidates conceded ?
Yes. Not with class, but they did.
Are they challenging the results in the courts ?
No.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics