IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , political speculation

Old 12th November 2016, 11:43 PM   #281
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Use his system how, exactly? Go into the match complaining that it's rigged and that it's not your fault if lose? And then going on to play well and win fairly?
Before playing announce that the results only count if I win. If I lose, it was rigged.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2016, 11:51 PM   #282
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The people apparently felt otherwise.
Not the majority of voters.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 09:16 AM   #283
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
And it shows a profound disregard for the real reason that Trump won the election.

Trump won because he ran at a time when disgust with establishment politics was at an all-time high; and he was savvy enough to tap into that disgust, and appeal to the lowest-common-denominator attitude of much of the uneducated parts of the country.
It wasn't a matter of savvy, it was a matter of timing. Trump's message has always been the same but in 2016 it finally resonated with a large number of people.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 09:29 AM   #284
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
It wasn't a matter of savvy, it was a matter of timing. Trump's message has always been the same but in 2016 it finally resonated with a large number of people.
Yes and no. He's changed positions many times through the years and decades according to where he feels power lies at any given time.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 09:33 AM   #285
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I think he's crapping himself.
He never actually wanted to be president but when he was in the race his temperament snd ego wouldn't let him back down.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 10:00 AM   #286
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of the final scene in 1972's The Candidate with Robert Redford. (He wins after not really being expected to.)

"What the hell do we do now?"
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 10:34 AM   #287
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

A top aide to the President-elect threatens legal action against a member of the opposition party for criticizing him.
Kellyanne Conway says on @FoxNewsSunday Harry Reid's comments are "beyond the pale," advises him to be careful in "legal sense"
It's going to be weird having the President be a vexatious litigant.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 10:42 AM   #288
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Transition process in chaos because Trump refused to read binders of research his team prepared. Get used to this.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 11:02 AM   #289
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I think he's crapping himself.
He never actually wanted to be president but when he was in the race his temperament snd ego wouldn't let him back down.
I thought his plan was to lose in as close an election as possible, while building a wildly passionate national political base, claim the (((elites))) stole the presidency to keep him from making America great again, start a TV network, and online newspaper similar to the Huff Post, all orbiting his image as the (real president) populist hero battling the evil elites on behalf of the disenfranchised white working man. And, of course, getting to work on making the Trump brand a major commercial real estate dynamo all across Russia--launching him into the upper reaches of the Forbes 400... his most cherished ambition.

But who knows, it's just speculation.

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 13th November 2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:03 PM   #290
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
If there were binders of women maybe he'd be more interested.

I am hesitant to take these transition-team-in-shambles at face value - partly because I want to believe them. It fits with my expectation, because I doubt if he will be successful at team building. His campaign managers kept changing or morphing into new arrangements and I believe Trump's attitude is that if someone doesn't work out he can always fire them and hire someone new, and maybe that worked when all Trump had to do was show up at venues and give the stump speech.

This quote confused me:

Quote:
"Anybody seeing today's news about the appointment of Vice President-elect Mike Pence to run the Presidential Transition Team realizes that President-elect Donald J. Trump is serious about changing Washington whether the town likes it or not."
How does appointing a 6-term congressman say anything about changing Washington? And what does he mean when he says "insider bickering"? Jason Miller himself has been a Washington insider for 16 years. I had to look him up on Ballotpedia to make sure he wasn't the MMA fighter.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 12:06 PM   #291
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

A top aide to the President-elect threatens legal action against a member of the opposition party for criticizing him.
Since Donald himself said "it's true" when Howard Stern called him a sexual predator, it's odd that Kellyanne thinks Reid's comments are "beyond the pale."

ETA: I thought maybe the election would end my addiction to threads like these but apparently not. I'm more interested than ever in hearing the things he says off the cuff. I hope his handlers don't take the Tweetie away for good.

Last edited by Minoosh; 13th November 2016 at 12:11 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 12:17 PM   #292
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Since Donald himself said "it's true" when Howard Stern called him a sexual predator, it's odd that Kellyanne thinks Reid's comments are "beyond the pale."

ETA: I thought maybe the election would end my addiction to threads like these but apparently not. I'm more interested than ever in hearing the things he says off the cuff. I hope his handlers don't take the Tweetie away for good.
He's been President-elect for five days and they're already threatening to sue critics.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:25 PM   #293
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

He's been President-elect for five days and they're already threatening to sue critics.
The libel bar is pretty high. Someone has to know they are spreading lies, and doing so maliciously and with reckless disregard for the truth.

Reid just agreed with what Donald called a fair claim, coming from Howard Stern.

Trump's not going to sue Reid.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:29 PM   #294
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Meet the new boss.
Same as old boss.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 12:50 PM   #295
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Now, that's an interesting way to choose leadership. I used to wonder why it seemed so gosh darn easy for professionals to get large numbers of people to act against their own self interest, but things are getting clearer now.
I think she's right, though. A number of people have bought the idea of Clinton as a cartoon supervillain and view anyone else, even Trump, as better.

I know a number of conservative Christians who claim that God chose Trump, and will turn him into something better, just like Saul's conversion.

It's bloody frustrating that people vote like that, but I think Emily's Cat is right on this point. Where we differ, I think, is that I don't believe such choices ought to be defended. They are the stuff of ignorance, pure and simple, a deluded portion of the populace who seem overly willing to embrace whatever nonsense supports their preconceptions.

That said, many folks are saying that the Democrats have failed to take seriously (or at least convey their interest in) the concerns of large portions of the working class. I don't think that's obviously false.

Last edited by phiwum; 13th November 2016 at 12:53 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 01:12 PM   #296
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
They're just happy to support or at least tolerate sexist racist bigots. Oh, and elect them to public office. Because electing sexist racist bigots is totally not the same thing as being sexist racist bigots.

People who refuse to stand up against evil are just as responsible for its victory.
Kinda odd your charge of being a sexist against Trump, the guy who actually had a woman in charge of his campaign......the guy who appoints women to be in charge of completing entire projects......the guy that pays his female employees better than Clinton paid hers.........odd.

Racist Bigot? The guy that got 3% more of the Black vote than Romney received in 2012....the guy that wants to rebuild the inner city to make America safe again for minorities......the guy that denied the support of the KKK.......

Your assessment of the situation does not seem to jive with the facts.......
Chris B.
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” August 14, 2017 President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 01:21 PM   #297
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That said, many folks are saying that the Democrats have failed to take seriously (or at least convey their interest in) the concerns of large portions of the working class. I don't think that's obviously false.
Why was there such a stark racial divide between white working class voters and minority working class voters in whom they voted for then?
Old 13th November 2016, 01:29 PM   #298
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Why was there such a stark racial divide between white working class voters and minority working class voters in whom they voted for then?
Because minority working class voters have other issues that bother them as well, of course. For those other issues, Clinton appeared the obviously better candidate.

NOTE: I'm not trying to say Trump is a better candidate for the white working class, but only that he managed to convince them that this is so. Trump is undeniably the worst major candidate in modern history, if not the entire history of the United States. I'm merely saying that this is a common explanation for Trump's success and I can't say that it's obviously wrong.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 01:30 PM   #299
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Kinda odd your charge of being a sexist against Trump, the guy who actually had a woman in charge of his campaign...
Did he grab her by the pussy?

...the guy who appoints women to be in charge of completing entire projects...
Oh, as opposed to the actual woman who strove herself to be in charge?

...the guy that pays his female employees better than Clinton paid hers.........odd.
Wait, is there any evidence he actually paid them at all? I mean, we know he stiffed his pollster, as well as thousands of contractors and employees.

Racist Bigot? The guy that got 3% more of the Black vote than Romney received in 2012..
I'm not sure that having 8% of one demographic of voters proves one isn't racist against that demographic. I am sure that it's nothing to brag about, and by the way, Romney got 6%, for a difference of 2%. Since we know that black voters overall voted less this election, can we really say Trump got more actual black people to vote for him? For instance, 8% of 100 is less than 6% of 200.

..the guy that wants to rebuild the inner city to make America safe again for minorities...
Cite?

...the guy that denied the support of the KKK.......
Which time? I mean, lots of racist organizations came out in support for Trump. You do realize, I hope, that when all the racists are supporting a person because of that person's statements about races and cultures, that is strong evidence that said statements are racist, right?

Your assessment of the situation does not seem to jive with the facts.......
Chris B.
No, I think luchog was far more accurate.

Last edited by wareyin; 13th November 2016 at 01:32 PM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 02:46 PM   #300
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Because this will some how be glossed over, a racist, anti-Semite was just named chief strategist by the President-elect. But hey, a conventional conservative in Reince Priebus is chief of staff so we can exhale because a white nationalist only gets second most influential job in White House.
Old 13th November 2016, 02:51 PM   #301
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Seriously, I think it's just plain lazy and small-minded to assume that your opponents are all ignorant, stupid, and bigoted. Sure it makes you feel better, but it's not going to help you win in the future. It does nothing except ensure that you will continue to be met with a wall that impedes your progress.

Well, here's more evidence that you're wrong.

Uptown Trump: It is a myth that he owes his support to disaffected blue-collar workers

The Mythology Of Trump’s ‘Working Class’ Support

Please Stop Saying Poor People Did This

Disaffected blue-collar workers are not the demographic primarily responsibility for Trump's win, middle-class and upper-middle-class educated white people are. It was the racist, sexist, GLBTQ-phobic, Islamophobic narrative that gave him the victory, not his economic policies, which were so vague as to be effectively non-existent.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 02:53 PM   #302
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

I wonder if the Vulcan Proverb of "Only Nixon could go to China" would play out in his administration.
Old 13th November 2016, 03:24 PM   #303
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Kinda odd your charge of being a sexist against Trump, the guy who actually had a woman in charge of his campaign......the guy who appoints women to be in charge of completing entire projects......the guy that pays his female employees better than Clinton paid hers.........odd.

Not really. It's a funny thing about racism and sexism that a person suffering from either can still be impressed with individuals of the group for which they harbor disdain.

I knew a man who believes Mexicans are lazy and generally worthless, to the point that he's openly (in front of me, but in the privacy of his own home) expressed violent (if ridiculous) fantasies of mass harm and even death directed at Mexico.

However, he's also talked glowingly about a Mexican doctor he and his wife were seated with at a wedding they attended.

His positive statements about this particular individual do not make him any less of a racist.

ETA: This man's son likes Bill Cosby as a comedian, but felt it necessary to comment about the number of mixed-race couples in season 1 of Heroes.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 13th November 2016 at 03:30 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 04:07 PM   #304
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I know a number of conservative Christians who claim that God chose Trump, and will turn him into something better, just like Saul's conversion.

It's bloody frustrating that people vote like that, but I think Emily's Cat is right on this point. Where we differ, I think, is that I don't believe such choices ought to be defended. They are the stuff of ignorance, pure and simple, a deluded portion of the populace who seem overly willing to embrace whatever nonsense supports their preconceptions.
There's no free lunch. The US took a major hit, below the water line, to its soft power. You don't feel it yet. The worst part is the ripple effect elsewhere, and if too many places experience the same loss of sanity, suddenly we have a positive feedback loop leading to some very nasty outcomes. Meaning, it was liberal democracy itself that has now taken a very important, very public hit.

Poland, Hungary and Slovenia are already talking funny. Austria is on the verge, France might follow not long thereafter, Holland as well... Spain will blow with any wind that makes people feel they are cozying up to the next winner. Scandinavia has issues. Right now, Germany is becoming the last hope, and would not last long alone at all. What Europe would it then be defending? More likely, a large reversal of directions. Better the Deutschmark, and refugees are welcome to leave.

Frankly, Trump could almost disappear off the news, it really doesn't matter what happens now, that damage takes years to undo. Unless he goes back to the pitchfork ranting, of course, then all bets are off.

Quote:
What really has everyone so off balance everywhere seems to have a common theme, one which takes what would otherwise be intangible fears and irrational thoughts and gives them life in the form of vivid and nightmarish news casts. I'm not going to express that thought much more until I've explored it more.

The alternative is the obvious non-answer to the global labor glut, a real problem everywhere that has nothing to do with nightmares, and everything to do with finding a new approach not only to the problem, but to expressing it in ways people get and believe. People's concerns haven't been met because, surprise, welcome to a new economy, yuuuge deals notwithstanding.

Meanwhile, for me, now debating the wisdom of a push for EU rearmament. Need a few election results first anyway, but to have to think in such terms... Putin is a mad genius, OMG...
Old 13th November 2016, 04:50 PM   #305
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Before playing announce that the results only count if I win. If I lose, it was rigged.
Before playing announce that the results only count if I win. If I lose, it was rigged Then I win.

FTFY.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 05:20 PM   #306
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
He has empowered every obnoxious bully in the country. and now those cowardly bullies now have guns.
So do many of us who aren't.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 05:23 PM   #307
fuelair
Banned

Wow. If someone had said it wouldn't bother them if Obama got assassinated, would you have considered that acceptable, regardless of how much they disliked the guy?
Yes, but Trump is not Obama. Obama is an honorable and intelligent man, Trump is something one scrapes off one's shoe in disgust. As are his followers.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 05:36 PM   #308
fuelair
Banned

Are you actually wishing for the brutal death of half the country? And you're okay with that?
Not half the country, just the one's motivated enough to come after Trump and his republicker backside boys when they pay no more attention to them than anyone else did - and they will never learn that people have moved forward from their backward ways and ideas so at least they would be out of their misery and the misery they caused the rest of us on Tuesday. I am not in a forgiving or let's just all get along mood right now.

Also, note that is just if they do as I suspect a reasonable but not gigantic number of them will if Trumpf does as most of we on the good side suspect he will - nothing functional for them and little for anyone not a republicker crony.
Old 13th November 2016, 05:39 PM   #309
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I've always found it puzzling that some people are so adamant about making laws that doesn't affect them in any way, seemingly just to spite people they dislike.
Not puzzling at all, they are simply ********.
Old 13th November 2016, 06:47 PM   #310
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

A white supremacist is going to be a top advisor in the Trump cabinet. Sad
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:31 PM   #311
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Because this will some how be glossed over, a racist, anti-Semite was just named chief strategist by the President-elect. But hey, a conventional conservative in Reince Priebus is chief of staff so we can exhale because a white nationalist only gets second most influential job in White House.
Meanwhile the Prime Minister of Israel congratulates Trump on his election victory.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:34 PM   #312
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

If you casually watched The West Wing, you know more about how the US government functions, duties and staffing responsibilities than the incoming administration.

Quote:
During their private White House meeting on Thursday, Mr. Obama walked his successor through the duties of running the country, and Mr. Trump seemed surprised by the scope, said people familiar with the meeting. Trump aides were described by those people as unaware that the entire presidential staff working in the West Wing had to be replaced at the end of Mr. Obama’s term.

After meeting with Mr. Trump, the only person to be elected president without having held a government or military position, Mr. Obama realized the Republican needs more guidance. He plans to spend more time with his successor than presidents typically do, people familiar with the matter said.
This ignorance is breathtaking.
Old 13th November 2016, 07:41 PM   #313
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

As is Obama's class. I think very few would be as magnanimous with an idiot like Trump.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 07:55 PM   #314
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
As is Obama's class. I think very few would be as magnanimous with an idiot like Trump.

That's a double-edged sword. I'm sure if Trump ***** things up bad enough, folks on the right will be all too eager to blame Obama's guidance and not Trump's crippling ADD.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2016, 08:12 PM   #315
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If I were Obama I'd be tempted to slip laxatives into Trump's coffee. Or PCP. Or both!
Old 13th November 2016, 10:19 PM   #316
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Before playing announce that the results only count if I win. If I lose, it was rigged Then I win.

FTFY.
Obviously, the subject doesn't know the final result when he employs the Trump maneuver. My original comment is accurate, heads he wins, tails you lose. The fact that the coin just happened to come up heads in this case has no retroactive affect on the plainly stated precondition that, if the coin does come up tails, it shouldn't count. This shouldn't even be controversial.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 14th November 2016, 02:33 AM   #317
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Not really. It's a funny thing about racism and sexism that a person suffering from either can still be impressed with individuals of the group for which they harbor disdain.

I knew a man who believes Mexicans are lazy and generally worthless, to the point that he's openly (in front of me, but in the privacy of his own home) expressed violent (if ridiculous) fantasies of mass harm and even death directed at Mexico.

However, he's also talked glowingly about a Mexican doctor he and his wife were seated with at a wedding they attended.

His positive statements about this particular individual do not make him any less of a racist.

ETA: This man's son likes Bill Cosby as a comedian, but felt it necessary to comment about the number of mixed-race couples in season 1 of Heroes.
Donald Sterling. Nuff said...
Old 14th November 2016, 03:07 AM   #318
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If I were Obama I'd be tempted to slip laxatives into Trump's coffee. Or PCP. Or both!
An enjoyable side-effect of this whole sorry affair is the explosion in Obama-Biden memes, eg:

Obama: Did you replace all the toiletries with travel size bottles?
Biden: He's got tiny hands Barack, I want him to feel welcome here.
Old 14th November 2016, 07:00 AM   #319
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously, the subject doesn't know the final result when he employs the Trump maneuver. My original comment is accurate, heads he wins, tails you lose. The fact that the coin just happened to come up heads in this case has no retroactive affect on the plainly stated precondition that, if the coin does come up tails, it shouldn't count. This shouldn't even be controversial.
Well said.
Old 14th November 2016, 07:29 AM   #320
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

They aren't the only ones ignorant about that. Before the election I was talking to a Trump supporting co-worker about the difficulty of a true outsider coming into Washington and getting things done. He said, that "the White House staff really runs things, so Trump isn't going to have to learn much, they already know how things work." He was very surprised when I told him that except for the people responsible for the building itself, the White House staff (i.e. West Wing staff) doesn't carry over. He didn't believe me and said, "that's not how it works, everyone knows that the bureaucrats run everything."
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics