IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 13th January 2021, 11:21 PM   #961
dejudge
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
well, i mean, he didn't do a good job
Rudy did a very good job once he got paid for at least one day. Who wouldn't want $20,000.00 day for doing nothing but appealing dismissed cases?
dejudge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 12:34 AM   #962
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
The financial threats and consequences that he's facing now are probably effectively the same, for him.

Oh. And just in case anyone didn't see this coming from a mile away...

Trump demands his staff not pay Giuliani's legal fees for helping him try to overturn the election: report

At least not without personal approval. Rudy didn't exactly do a good job, though, which Trump's used as a pretext to stiff lots of people.
Play with fire, expect to get burned.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:39 AM   #963
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dejudge View Post
Rudy did a very good job once he got paid for at least one day. Who wouldn't want $20,000.00 day for doing nothing but appealing dismissed cases?
I saw that 20k figure, I guess Rudi saw the gravy flowing and tried to dip his beak.
Donnie sez NO!

*when one grifter tries to horn in on a taste from another*... hilarity (or mayhem) ensues.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:02 AM   #964
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
On Wednesday, The Washington Post reported that outgoing President Donald Trump is reluctant to pay his longtime friend and attorney Rudy Giuliani for his legal services in the election lawsuits — and has instructed staff not to approve the fees.
Well, there's your problem....
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:09 AM   #965
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

As the Trump presidency comes to a close, many of the people who worked for the administration will be looking for new jobs.... well, they might be in for a very rude shock.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/d...21-1?r=US&IR=T

Randall Lane, the editor of Forbes, the "the magazine of refuge for the fortune 500 crowd" has urged companies not to hire communications officials from President Donald Trump’s administration.
Lane wrote... "there should be a truth reckoning after Wednesday’s siege at the US Capitol. As part of that reckoning, there should be repercussions for those who had lied on behalf of Trump." He called out former Trump press secretaries by name and suggested any companies employing them would be viewed as a "potential funnel of disinformation."
Here is a short video from "Ring of Fire" about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6HTcr7aO4
"There's another group of people though, inside the white house who are also struggling to find work for essentially the same reason. Those are the average every day, White House staffers.

According to reports over the last few weeks, these staffers have been unable to secure jobs. A lot of them have been unable to secure interviews at other places. Like nobody wants to hire anyone who worked for the Trump administration, whether you were a cabinet official, you know, sitting at the head of a major government department, or if you're just the coffee boy, it doesn't matter. You worked for Trump. You have that stink on you."

Oh dear!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:32 AM   #966
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As the Trump presidency comes to a close, many of the people who worked for the administration will be looking for new jobs.... well, they might be in for a very rude shock.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/d...21-1?r=US&IR=T

Randall Lane, the editor of Forbes, the "the magazine of refuge for the fortune 500 crowd" has urged companies not to hire communications officials from President Donald Trump’s administration.
Lane wrote... "there should be a truth reckoning after Wednesday’s siege at the US Capitol. As part of that reckoning, there should be repercussions for those who had lied on behalf of Trump." He called out former Trump press secretaries by name and suggested any companies employing them would be viewed as a "potential funnel of disinformation."
Here is a short video from "Ring of Fire" about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b6HTcr7aO4
"There's another group of people though, inside the white house who are also struggling to find work for essentially the same reason. Those are the average every day, White House staffers.

According to reports over the last few weeks, these staffers have been unable to secure jobs. A lot of them have been unable to secure interviews at other places. Like nobody wants to hire anyone who worked for the Trump administration, whether you were a cabinet official, you know, sitting at the head of a major government department, or if you're just the coffee boy, it doesn't matter. You worked for Trump. You have that stink on you."

Oh dear!
When you roll around in manure, don't be surprised when the stink of it clings to you.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:50 AM   #967
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I keep wondering how this is affecting his youngest son. He's a teenager and I don't know how much in tune he is with politics in general. I wonder if he's being kept in a social bubble where everyone's telling him his father had the election stolen from him. Or has he seen his father's speech and the subsequent storming of the Capitol and put two and two together?

I also wonder how his thoughts on his father's presidency and the events of January 6 will evolve over the next decade. I'm sure it will affect friendships he makes: would you want to be friends with people who tell you your father was the worst president in all of American history, or at least since WW II?

From what I've seen, children of political figures usually follow their parents' leanings. Both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush were Republican presidents. Dick Cheney's daughter Elizabeth is a Republican representative. Here in Canada, Justin Trudeau is a Liberal prime minister, just like his father.

I've never heard of a person becoming a country's leader under one political party, and that person's adult child becoming the leader under an oppositely aligned party. It's quite possible it's happened, but I'm not aware of any instances.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:05 AM   #968
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I keep wondering how this is affecting his youngest son. He's a teenager and I don't know how much in tune he is with politics in general. I wonder if he's being kept in a social bubble where everyone's telling him his father had the election stolen from him. Or has he seen his father's speech and the subsequent storming of the Capitol and put two and two together?

I also wonder how his thoughts on his father's presidency and the events of January 6 will evolve over the next decade. I'm sure it will affect friendships he makes: would you want to be friends with people who tell you your father was the worst president in all of American history, or at least since WW II?

From what I've seen, children of political figures usually follow their parents' leanings. Both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush were Republican presidents. Dick Cheney's daughter Elizabeth is a Republican representative. Here in Canada, Justin Trudeau is a Liberal prime minister, just like his father.

I've never heard of a person becoming a country's leader under one political party, and that person's adult child becoming the leader under an oppositely aligned party. It's quite possible it's happened, but I'm not aware of any instances.
Looking at the rest of the Trump children, and Melania, IMO it's almost inevitable that Barron has been raised inside the Trump bubble and that he'll develop similar social and political opinions to his siblings and will have a similar sense of entitlement.

Regarding his friends, I wouldn't worry. Children of African despots sent to British public (that is private) schools seem to manage to collect plenty of friends - who may go on to make a comfortable living selling goods and services to the child or their family.

As long as the Trumps can afford to maintain the façade of wealth then Barron will not lack for playmates. They'll be odious little WASPs but those are the same circles he'd have been bound to be moving in anyway,
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:19 AM   #969
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Lindsey Graham is now saying that impeaching Trump after the end of his presidency will lead to impeaching George Washington. I presume there must simply be no possible point at which his constituents will ask themselves, "Why did we vote for this nutter?"

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:37 AM   #970
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Seems Trump's approval rating has taken a hit:

https://www.pollingreport.com/djt_job.htm

The most recent Quinnipiac poll appears to show the lowest approval (33%) and highest disapproval (60%) of any poll from any pollster since he took office 4 years ago.

It's only odd because Trump's base seemed to be almost immune to anything he did. Seems like we might be seeing the first crack.

ETA: almost, but not quite true. There were a couple of similar results back in 2017. But 33% and 61% seem to be the most outlying figures during his 4-year term, and he's almost matched them here.

Last edited by Puppycow; 14th January 2021 at 03:46 AM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:43 AM   #971
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lindsay thinks he can steal the Trump Playbook by constantly saying outrageous **** that will keep him in the news.
It won't work
Old 14th January 2021, 03:49 AM   #972
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

The most recent Quinnipiac poll appears to show the lowest approval (33%) and highest disapproval (60%) of any poll from any pollster since he took office 4 years ago.

It's only odd because Trump's base seemed to be almost immune to anything he did. Seems like we might be seeing the first crack.

ETA: almost, but not quite true. There were a couple of similar results back in 2017. But 33% and 61% seem to be the most outlying figures during his 4-year term, and he's almost matched them here.
IMO it would have been back to the usual range in 2-3 weeks. GOPers have short memories and/or are quick to forgive their own.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 06:05 AM   #973
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

I bet it's still "96% APPROVAL RATING IN THE REPUBLICAN PARTY!!!"

According to him, anyway.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:36 AM   #974
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

What's left of it, anyway, I think you mean.
Old 14th January 2021, 06:56 AM   #975
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post

Look they managed to get that one figure crowbarred into his skull, but that took a team working around the clock, 7 days a week for 36 months, there is simply no way of getting it out again.
Old 14th January 2021, 07:34 AM   #976
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think it's hilarious that Trump's approval rating isn't at the lowest it has ever been.

538 has an weighted aggregate of all the polls putting Trump's approval at 40%. He was at 37% back in December of 2017.

We have a President who ordered a violent mob to storm the Capitol and it made his approval drop a whopping 4 points AND it's not the least popular he's ever been.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 07:48 AM   #977
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think it's hilarious that Trump's approval rating isn't at the lowest it has ever been.

538 has an weighted aggregate of all the polls putting Trump's approval at 40%. He was at 37% back in December of 2017.

We have a President who ordered a violent mob to storm the Capitol and it made his approval drop a whopping 4 points AND it's not the least popular he's ever been.
Well that's today's America for you.
Old 14th January 2021, 07:53 AM   #978
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I think as Trump stayed in office longer, more of his voters tightened their loyalty. His constant bleating against the media took hold in their minds and now they cannot get out of the cult mindset.

In DEc of 2017, I think it was a government shutdown that he caused and he hadn’t had enough time to really sink his talons into them.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 07:58 AM   #979
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Lindsey Graham is now saying that impeaching Trump after the end of his presidency will lead to impeaching George Washington. I presume there must simply be no possible point at which his constituents will ask themselves, "Why did we vote for this nutter?"

Dave
Trump wasn't impeached "after the end of his presidency"

Lindsey is lying, of course.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:00 AM   #980
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well that's today's America for you.
What I need to remember is that Q-Anon nuts and Trump sycophants were elected to their positions by constituents who knew exactly what they were voting for. Especially since Marjorie Greene is from a district not too distant from our N GA home - if anything our N GA area is even redder than her district near Atlanta.

You know what they say, “Democracy is a female dog”. Or words to that effect.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:00 AM   #981
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also Washington didn't do anything worth impeaching him over.

Republicans always ignoring that little fact when they are screeching about tit for tat. It only works if you assume Impeachment is just something that randomly happens to Presidents and isn't a reaction to their behavior.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:26 AM   #982
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As the Trump presidency comes to a close, many of the people who worked
for the administration will be looking for new jobs.... well, they might be in
for a very rude shock.

Oh fudge a little on your resume. Say you worked for the Biden Administration
during the difficult transition period even if you were there for just a few minutes.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:37 AM   #983
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Republicans always ignoring that little fact when they are screeching about tit for tat. It only works if you assume Impeachment is just something that randomly happens to Presidents and isn't a reaction to their behavior.
Graham is saying a sufficiently leftist government could impeach him for having been a slave owner. It's nonsense, obviously, but it's near enough to an actual argument for scaremongering to the merely marginally sane.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 08:46 AM   #984
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Trump wasn't impeached "after the end of his presidency"

Lindsey is lying, of course.
Exactly. If Graham - or anyone else - wants to argue that presidents shouldn’t be impeached after they leave office, they have my support. Luckily, there is no danger of that happening any time soon.

Last edited by johnny karate; 14th January 2021 at 08:47 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:18 AM   #985
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Clearly attacking loyal Americans in the whiskey rebellion has to count.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:30 AM   #986
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Oh no! How is Giuliani going to be able to afford his high-quality hair dye?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 10:44 AM   #987
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
He gets it free by the bucket with each denture fitting appointment.
Old 14th January 2021, 11:51 AM   #988
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

To nobody's surprise...

Despite earlier tabloid reports to the contrary, Ivanka Trump will not be in attendance at the Jan. 20 inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden.

But what were the 'tabloid reports'? Well...

Ivanka Trump reportedly wants to go to Joe Biden's inauguration to be a "good sport" and save her political career. But it's claimed the move has caused a major rift with her dad... "She said she has to protect her own political aspirations and isn't about to muck it all up by attending her dad's 2024 campaign kick-off which is set for the same day. She's leaving that for her dad and Don Jr."... there are conflicting reports whether she is actually invited to attend.

Hard to think of what's weirder here...

That Ivanka might actually think she has a shot at any sort of political career, or the thought that either she was invited, or thought she might have been.

I recognize that these are all rumors, and may not be real. Still, I do like the idea of infighting within the Trump clan. Mmmm... schadenfreude.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 11:58 AM   #989
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait to see Time Magazine's "final" cover in their Trump series. You know, the ones where he's shown getting progressively under water?
Old 14th January 2021, 01:15 PM   #990
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Harold N. Bornstein, Trump’s Former Personal Physician, Dies at 73
He attested that President Trump would be the “healthiest president ever,” but he was later expelled from his orbit.
nytimes.com
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:20 PM   #991
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Harold N. Bornstein, Trump’s Former Personal Physician, Dies at 73
He attested that President Trump would be the “healthiest president ever,” but he was later expelled from his orbit.
nytimes.com
Expelled for mention the dolt's hair growth pills, no less.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #992
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
What I need to remember is that Q-Anon nuts and Trump sycophants were elected to their positions by constituents who knew exactly what they were voting for. Especially since Marjorie Greene is from a district not too distant from our N GA home - if anything our N GA area is even redder than her district near Atlanta.

You know what they say, “Democracy is a female dog”. Or words to that effect.
Sounds as if your part of the state needs another visit from General Sherman.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:06 PM   #993
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Footage of Moving Vans pulling up to the White House.
Biden inaugration bunting hung in full view of the White House.
I would love to be the fly on the wall in the Oval Office.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:08 PM   #994
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

pictures of people leaving with artwork, paintings, a bust etc.

looting?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:49 PM   #995
angrysoba
Philosophile

If Rudy and Donny have fallen out, who is going to officiate Donny's alternative inauguration?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:54 PM   #996
slowsmile
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
By taking Trump to court for unpaid "legal" fees?
slowsmile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #997
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
If Rudy and Donny have fallen out, who is going to officiate Donny's alternative inauguration?
Dershoshitz maybe?
Old 14th January 2021, 05:31 PM   #998
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

looting?
Pretty much.
Bust them for petty theft.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:33 PM   #999
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's hitting home for my wife and me.1000 Guardsmen called up to deploy to Sacramento, Downtown Sacramento to be pretty much shut down, CHP has deined a permit "stop the steal" protest on the 20th at the capitol. Fun times.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th January 2021, 05:56 PM   #1000
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Quote:

looting?
Pretty much.
Bust them for petty theft.
Petty Theft is for items of lower value. (Not sure what the cutoff value is, but I've seen values around $500.)

Something like a bust or other artwork in the white house, is likely to be of high quality (not to mention the historic value). Probably quite valuable. I suspect it would probably qualify as grand larceny.

Of course, given the fact that many staff members may have trouble getting jobs (with the stain of being a Trump worker on their resume), they may need to sell the stuff to survive.

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics