IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #161
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Let's await UK Tory ministers and sycophants on Newsnight, and tomorrow on R4Today refusing unequivocal condemnation.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #162
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't see Biden Harris banner on his Twitter page. I see him standing in front of a very racially diverse class of children holding little US flags.
You're looking at the Vice President Mike Pence twitter page. The Mike Pence twitter page has Biden and Harris as a cover photo.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #163
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
For anyone who might think DC's gun control laws are too strict, I'd like to ask- how do you think all this would have played out today if these rioters had had weapons with them this time? Do you think it would have been a bunch of good guys with guns stopping the bad guys with guns, but no way to tell the difference between the two?
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I think some were armed.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
They've already arrested and confiscated some guns; every single one of them carrying, open or concealed, should be arrested.
Yeah, and I'm seeing where some of those folks posted on social media that they were carrying guns into the building. But I'm also guessing the few that did had to sneak them in. So I guess what I'm asking is what people who oppose any gun control think would have been the result if they hadn't had to sneak them in- if there had been more than just a few furtively-armed protesters, if being armed had been the rule for the rioters rather than the exception, would the resolution have been as (relatively) peaceful? I think it would have been a bloodbath- outnumbered police seeing themselves surrounded and shoved around by protesters with guns might have gotten a tad nervous and itchy-fingered, and the thing would have mushroomed from there.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:54 PM   #164
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Shoot the bastards.They are involved in a violent attempt to overthrow the government of the United States.
I’m not prepared to shoot them.
I am entertained by the idea of sending out a message saying “if anyone is working on non-lethal weapons but is unsure of their safety, please contact us. . We have set up a beta-testing site.”
Old 6th January 2021, 03:56 PM   #165
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You're looking at the Vice President Mike Pence twitter page. The Mike Pence twitter page has Biden and Harris as a cover photo.
I sit slack-jawed with amazement.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #166
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:20 PM   #167
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"Great Patriots",
Just when you think that Trump cannot go any farther, he finds a way.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #168
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!
"Great Patriots",
25th.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:26 PM   #169
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If it was pence ordered the National Guard to mobilise, does that mean Trump is sidelined?
Old 6th January 2021, 04:30 PM   #170
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If it was pence ordered the National Guard to mobilise, does that mean Trump is sidelined?
There are rumors that the head of the JCS had phone conversations today with Pelosi and McConnell directly, without Trump's involvment.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:31 PM   #171
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Henry Winkler tweets

@hwinkler4real
TRUMP is exactly like MUSSOLINI .. his term should end that way
Old 6th January 2021, 04:34 PM   #172
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Harsh but fair.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:38 PM   #173
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t think there’s a garden centre big enough to hold tomorrow’s press conference.
Old 6th January 2021, 04:39 PM   #174
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Henry Winkler tweets

@hwinkler4real
Better break out the fainting couch for the trump snowflakes after that one.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 04:50 PM   #175
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Henry Winkler tweets

@hwinkler4real
The Fonz is still cool....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #176
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter has blocked Trump's twitter account.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #177
eerok
Quixoticist

Twitter deleted Trump's last tweet, then froze his account for twelve hours.

Too little, too late, but better than nothing.

Ninja'd but still worth repeating.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:05 PM   #178
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter has blocked Trump's twitter account.
Now?! It's about 4 years too late.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:24 PM   #179
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

CNN is reporting that the first lady’s chief of staff has tendered her resignation.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:28 PM   #180
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Henry Winkler tweets

@hwinkler4real
But which one of his mistresses will hang with him? Meadows? Gaetz? Carlson? Jordan?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 6th January 2021 at 05:29 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:44 PM   #181
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Henry Winkler tweets

@hwinkler4real

Yeah, but which of his mistresses gets strung up with him?

Edit: should have read thread to the end first.

Last edited by Athyrio; 6th January 2021 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Slowthinker
Athyrio is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:45 PM   #182
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Yeah, but which of his mistresses gets strung up with him?
Hopefully, it is Lindsey.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:58 PM   #183
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That only incites the crazies. They still talk about Waco and Ruby Ridge. That's not the solution.
The ones who were successfully shot don’t talk about anything anymore
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:06 PM   #184
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Hopefully, it is Lindsey.
Damn....how could I have forgotten Lindsey?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:07 PM   #185
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who was it the other day posting about the Georgia phone call (remember that ) and was wondering what Trump could do to top that before he left office.

Well it seems just when you are sure he can’t top his performance he pulls another rabbit out of the bag.

No one can say they aren’t throwing everything into this season’s last few episodes, OK they’ve totally left the realms of “reality” in reality TV but goodness what imaginations they have.
Old 6th January 2021, 06:25 PM   #186
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Who was it the other day posting about the Georgia phone call (remember that ) and was wondering what Trump could do to top that before he left office.

Well it seems just when you are sure he can’t top his performance he pulls another rabbit out of the bag.

No one can say they aren’t throwing everything into this season’s last few episodes, OK they’ve totally left the realms of “reality” in reality TV but goodness what imaginations they have.

I can't recall another politician who has committed so many disasters to himself or his party in such a short time. The phone call, stumping for 2 Georgia politicians after condemning their colleagues, and then, being the Seditionist-in-Chief, urging the redhatted mob to go to the Capitol after placing a target on Pence - he's a busy man.
Old 6th January 2021, 06:31 PM   #187
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Two weeks suddenly feels like a long time.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:52 PM   #188
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Two weeks suddenly feels like a long time.
It would go a lot faster if Twitter would find the guts to make Trump's suspension permanent.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:30 PM   #189
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But which one of his mistresses will hang with him? Meadows? Gaetz? Carlson? Jordan?
Ivanka?
Old 6th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #190
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Since he's Twit-blocked for 12 hours I might even have to check out Fox & Friends tomorrow to see if he calls in. He's going to have to vent somewhere.

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Twitter deleted Trump's last tweet, then froze his account for twelve hours.

Too little, too late, but better than nothing.

Ninja'd but still worth repeating.
I imagine him pounding at his phone wondering what's wrong with the stupid thing, then throwing it across the room.

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It would go a lot faster if Twitter would find the guts to make Trump's suspension permanent.
No! The next two weeks are going to see the most interesting posts!
Old 6th January 2021, 08:05 PM   #191
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Pence has unfollowed Trump and put Biden-Harris as his banner on Twitter.
Apparently that is a false rumor.

On Wednesday, a rumor started flying on social media that Vice President Mike Pence had unfollowed President Donald Trump on Twitter. But that is definitely false. Pence's personal account, @Mike_Pence, in fact only follows 48 people on Twitter, the first of which to be listed is Trump.

His twitter feed also has a linking to Trump's web site (not exactly the type of thin you would have if you had unfollowed someone)

This is the picture he currently has on his twitter feed. The picture is taken from the back (so I can't tell who exactly it is), but given the size of the crowd and the absence of masks, I doubt it is Biden/Harris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pence_twitter.jpg (89.9 KB, 12 views)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:18 PM   #192
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

We are hearing stories about Trump's behavior in the White House today, and it is scary, scary, stuff.
Man, I hope the Pentagon has orders to ignore all orders from the White House until confirmed by the JCS.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:20 PM   #193
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The only area where Trump has not lit a dumpster fire is foreign affairs...and I have a sick feeling an attack on Iran might be in the offing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:23 PM   #194
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The only area where Trump has not lit a dumpster fire is foreign affairs...and I have a sick feeling an attack on Iran might be in the offing.
But they might take away his Nobel prize if he does that!

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:26 PM   #195
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

"Great Patriots",
What an utterly bizarre thing to say.
Old 6th January 2021, 09:02 PM   #196
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I sit slack-jawed with amazement.
Looks like Pence and someone (his wife?) to me. At least, it could be. I sure can't tell it's Biden.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:12 PM   #197
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
What an utterly bizarre thing to say.
He also said " . . .So go home, we love you, you're very special, you've seen what happens . . . you see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil . . . I know how you feel . . . "

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 6th January 2021, 09:33 PM   #198
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Since the Ellipse is a public park with no doors, could he be referring to the doors on the cage where they keep him in the White House?
That's just a colloquialism for that's when things are about to start.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Also, small point: why mention that it is Eastern time? If you are not in Washington, the timezone is irrelevant. If you are and plan to attend...it's irrelevant!
People came from other time zones to attend.
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:42 PM   #199
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
For perspective, just over one Scaramucci!
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:53 PM   #200
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Had republicans acted to impeach Trump,....
[Pet peeve]
Trump *was* impeached. I think you meant that Republicans should have convicted after his impeachment by the House.
[/Pet peeve]

Last edited by SezMe; 6th January 2021 at 10:34 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics