IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Samson
Philosopher

Bookies have Trump favourite for 2024 Nomination

I find this curious and implausible, but there it is. As of right now Ladbrokes have him at 4 to 1 and Pence second line at 8 to 1 for the 2024 republican nomination. I know there is persistent talk of another go, but these figures are stark and in my view represent an impossible scenario.
This thread may be of lingering interest to watch over the years as he becomes irrelevant.

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/event/p...70/all-markets
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #2
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I find this curious and implausible, but there it is. As of right now Ladbrokes have him at 4 to 1 and Pence second line at 8 to 1 for the 2024 republican nomination. I know there is persistent talk of another go, but these figures are stark and in my view represent an impossible scenario.
This thread may be of lingering interest to watch over the years as he becomes irrelevant.

There was a time I think it was quite possible, but that ship has not only sailed, it was quickly sunk by a self inflicted torpedo launched with no guidance system.
Old 9th January 2021, 04:27 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ladbrooks needs to recalulate after Wendesday.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Indeed they do. Pence's chances are far less than that now, the traitor!
Old 9th January 2021, 09:20 PM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Odds are based upon the money coming in on bets. They're not a real assessment of their actual chances. This merely says that more money is being bet on Trump than any other candidate. Odds are fluid and will change as betting patterns change.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 09:24 PM   #6
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Odds are based upon the money coming in on bets. They're not a real assessment of their actual chances. This merely says that more money is being bet on Trump than any other candidate. Odds are fluid and will change as betting patterns change.
And Trumpublicans are stupid enough to place large bets as a show of loyalty, I suspect.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 09:59 PM   #7
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
There was a time I think it was quite possible, but that ship has not only sailed, it was quickly sunk by a self inflicted torpedo launched with no guidance system.
Any other time, I'd agree, but his base is SOLID behind him. If he isn't impeached, thus rendering him inelligable, or isn't arrested by SDNY on a Felony, or phsically deteriorate to the point he has to be institutionalized, he might well run and have strong chance of winning.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:17 PM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Beat me to it. The only time speculative odds are publicised is when the book is opened, and after that the odds follow the money.

Some professional punters claim to win over time by placing bets against very popular teams as those odds are distorted by the fan factor.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 10:38 PM   #9
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

people have made good money betting against delusional Trump supporters.
no reason to stop now.
Old 9th January 2021, 11:48 PM   #10
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Bookies have Trump favourite for 2024 Nomination
Well, a few things to keep in mind:

- If you have a large number of candidates in the primary, due to vote splitting/distribution a candidate does not need to get anywhere near a majority of votes to take an early lead
- Trump did do very well in the past election, and had strong support among the republican base.
- Even after last Wednesday's terrorist acts, a large number of republicans still support Trump, and think the terrorism was acceptable. Another poll actually showed more Republicans blamed Biden than Trump.

So, while Trump would be unlikely to win the general election (where he would have to appeal to moderates), its not out of the realm of possibility that he might win the republican primaries.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 02:50 AM   #11
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And Trumpublicans are stupid enough to place large bets as a show of loyalty, I suspect.

Dave
This maybe the key to this anomaly, a real world explanation, but here is the thing.
I would take those bets to the limit of my worldly assets because I think there is 0.00000% chance (roughly) that he gets the nomination.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 03:01 AM   #12
dirtywick
Master Poster

the season hasnít started yet
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 04:51 AM   #13
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Any other time, I'd agree, but his base is SOLID behind him. If he isn't impeached, thus rendering him inelligable, or isn't arrested by SDNY on a Felony, or phsically deteriorate to the point he has to be institutionalized, he might well run and have strong chance of winning.
Hey the good news is that if he does run I can think of nothing else that would do more to galvanize the Democratic vote to turn out. Plus if we're lucky he opens a split in the Republican party, or even better he denounces the Republicans as having betrayed him and runs as an independent.
Old 10th January 2021, 05:13 AM   #14
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Yeah, Trump himself has assured he can't run for president in 2024. Even if he's not prosecuted, and still able to ace a bigly difficult dementia test in 2024, I doubt the GOP would let him back in. If he runs as an independent, there is no way the people would stand for him becoming POTUS again. The 2021 coup attempt would be nothing compared to the reaction from the liberals if Trump won.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 05:14 AM   #15
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Another poll actually showed more Republicans blamed Biden than Trump.
Because "the election was rigged", no doubt. Disgusting .

At least it's all out in daylight now. The police needs reform, authoritarianism needs tackling, racism needs fighting, the postfact world needs countering. Trump can't put the genie back in the bottle.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 10th January 2021 at 05:15 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 06:43 AM   #16
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

bonzombiekitty has a birthday
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Yeah, Trump himself has assured he can't run for president in 2024. Even if he's not prosecuted, and still able to ace a bigly difficult dementia test in 2024, I doubt the GOP would let him back in. If he runs as an independent, there is no way the people would stand for him becoming POTUS again. The 2021 coup attempt would be nothing compared to the reaction from the liberals if Trump won.
Even if Trump was to somehow win the Republican 2024 nomination, I think there's enough republicans who would refuse to vote for him in the general election, it would neuter his chances of winning. Anecdotal, I know, but my FiL is a long time blue-collar Republican. His family has always voted republican, as has he. He voted for Trump in the election (under some very tenuous reasoning about Biden going to quickly resign so Harris will be president). Now he's calling for Trump to resign or be impeached and to never run for office again. I think there's a very real split in the party forming over this.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:42 AM   #17
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, Trump himself has assured he can't run for president in 2024. Even if he's not prosecuted, and still able to ace a bigly difficult dementia test in 2024, I doubt the GOP would let him back in.
How exactly would the GOP be able to keep him out of the race though? It's sort of a democratic thing, and supposedly the party leaders don't have that much control.

They could throw up roadblocks (like limits on the number of debate participants, or other candidates dropping out and endorsing a single non-trump candidate) but there is no guarantee that would keep trump out.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:47 AM   #18
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Bookies don't really evaluate likelihoods. Their odds mainly reflect what people are betting on. People right now betting on Trumps chances in 2024 are either daft or pure gamblers, so you can't infer anything about reality from this.

Hans
Old 10th January 2021, 01:32 PM   #19
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
How exactly would the GOP be able to keep him out of the race though? It's sort of a democratic thing, and supposedly the party leaders don't have that much control.

They could throw up roadblocks (like limits on the number of debate participants, or other candidates dropping out and endorsing a single non-trump candidate) but there is no guarantee that would keep trump out.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
I expect he's going to be rendered inert soon enough. Since he clearly lacks the good sence to get out while the getting's good (Or he'd have resigned when the election was called, maybe right after issuing a well constructed string of pardons) he's most likely going to hang around long enough to see his fat ass impeached a second time, with a ban on running for office ever again, thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Mike!; 10th January 2021 at 01:33 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:50 PM   #20
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Because "the election was rigged", no doubt. Disgusting .

At least it's all out in daylight now. The police needs reform, authoritarianism needs tackling, racism needs fighting, the postfact world needs countering. Trump can't put the genie back in the bottle.
By the same token, it remains to be seen if the Left can stand up to any of that in an effective way.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 11:29 PM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

the longer people believe that Trump will win in 2024, the harder it will be for the GOP to field a credible challenger.
I'm all for it.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:43 PM   #22
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Or they may find the need for a renaming to Brokelads.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:00 PM   #23
Samson
Philosopher

Despite the looming effectiveness of the impeachment process, the odds stay the same at 4 to 1. Ladbrokes will clean up on this if anyone is actually taking the bet.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:17 PM   #24
Suddenly
No Punting

Despite the looming effectiveness of the impeachment process, the odds stay the same at 4 to 1. Ladbrokes will clean up on this if anyone is actually taking the bet.
I'm assuming that they not letting people bet the other side at these odds?

(Although that might still be a bad bet seeing that it entails letting Ladbrokes hold the money for 3.5 years. Getting a 25% return (1-4 odds) over that time frame isn't that great of an investment even if it were a lock...)
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:44 PM   #25
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I'm assuming that they not letting people bet the other side at these odds?

(Although that might still be a bad bet seeing that it entails letting Ladbrokes hold the money for 3.5 years. Getting a 25% return (1-4 odds) over that time frame isn't that great of an investment even if it were a lock...)
Exactly, and I wrote a similar post till I realised this mathematical scenario still favoured the house.
Old 11th January 2021, 01:59 PM   #26
Suddenly
No Punting

4-1 on Trump is a terrible bet. However...

I think 8-1 on Pence is way worse. I can dream up scenarios where Trump winds up with the nomination. I can't come up with any remotely plausible scenario where Pence gets on the ticket seeing the only people that he could have called his base just wanted to hang him on the Capitol lawn. He's probably not the most hated man in America, but he might be the most widely disliked.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics