IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Where are we heading as a nation?
The insurrectionists are going to win and Trump will be President for Life. 1 1.39%
Several states will attempt to secede and we'll be in another Civil War. 3 4.17%
There will be a long period of terrorism but not a real Civil War. 32 44.44%
The insurrectionists will eventually be taken down but many lives will be lost. 31 43.06%
Cooler heads will prevail and we'll reach some level of calm. 21 29.17%
Planet X will invade and we'll all be killed! 6 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th January 2021, 09:56 AM   #41
carlosy
Critical Thinker

I fear that the seed of corrosive lies has been planted so widespread and often, it will be almost impossible to get out of this without going through a very deep and violent valley first.

All these millions of people won't admit to themselves being conned. No. Even if the Trumps and Hannitys etc. all of a sudden would turn 180° around. No, they would rather suggest that those people have been brainwashed or are under some kind of supression.

The sprouts of these seeds won't go away anytime soon.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:24 AM   #42
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
In 5-10 years the their supporters is congress will be the "sane Republicans" being pushed aside by a new even more extreme version of the political right. It's been the pattern for decades now and I see no reason why it would change now.
It will change for simple reason - this situation is already unstable. This kind of spiral into degeneracy cannot be endless and has only two possible finales.

Either they win and USA becomes authoritarian right-wing state or they lose and share fate of their spiritual ancestors from first civil war and spiritual brothers from second world war.

There will be a lot of blood.
Old 12th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think a better question would be "what are you doing about the direction your country is headed?" For the overwhelming majority, little to nothing.
I run a sig line in some places that reads:

The biggest problem facing mankind is apathy.
But nobody cares.
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #44
Dude111
Scholar

People are getting tired of all this........ Eventually they will explode!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #45
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

This ******* thread. This was the worst possible thing I could have read today, jesus, I'm basically suicidal now. How can you guys even handle your own thoughts, let alone posting them calmly and matter-of-factly? My brain is broken.

I thought there might be a tiny bit of hope when nothing happened yesterday, but now I've gone down the climate change rabbit hole, and I feel a million times worse than I ever have before.
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #46
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Serious answer.

I think if you crunched the numbers most of people in this thread are Gen Xers and this weird and very difficult to describe mixture of pure, true apathy and honestly hating apathy but being resigned to it at the same time is our natural default state.

If you're... like 40-ish you've been told near constantly your entire life that the world was going to end any day now. Various (and this can manifest in a LOT of ways) forms of detached apathy is the only way to really deal with that.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; Today at 11:25 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Serious answer.

I think if you crunched the numbers most of people in this thread are Gen Xers and this weird and very difficult to describe mixture of pure, true apathy and honestly hating apathy but being resigned to it at the same time is our natural default state.

If you're... like 40-ish you've been told near constantly your entire life that the world was going to end any day now. Various (and this can manifest in a LOT of ways) forms of detached apathy is the only way to really deal with that.
I believe I already covered all of that when I said "sex toilet". Honestly, this forum...it's like the words "sex toilet" mean nothing to you people!! *polishes monocle on a passing cat*
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #48
Cain
Straussian

Your friendly reminder that if 22,000 people across three states had voted for Trump instead of Biden, then the Orange Menace would have legally secured four more years. (Clinton needed a 40,000 vote swing, and significantly fewer people voted in that election.)
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #49
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Don't ask questions, just get in the Handbasket.
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #50
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Your friendly reminder that if 22,000 people across three states had voted for Trump instead of Biden, then the Orange Menace would have legally secured four more years. (Clinton needed a 40,000 vote swing, and significantly fewer people voted in that election.)
Additional friendly reminder that if those uptight Capitol police just stepped aside and let the protesters express themselves, they would still be scrubbing blood and entrails off the floors.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:31 PM   #51
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Extra additional reminder that the cosmos is inexorably headed towards ekpyrotic apocatastasis.
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #52
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
This iteration will disappear soon, but the forces in the background enabling them and egging them on will continue unabated. In 5-10 years the their supporters is congress will be the "sane Republicans" being pushed aside by a new even more extreme version of the political right. It's been the pattern for decades now and I see no reason why it would change now.
The backlash from progressives has been getting steadily stronger, too. Also, whites are shrinking as a demographic in the US.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:21 PM   #53
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Butter! View Post
I thought there might be a tiny bit of hope when nothing happened yesterday, but now I've gone down the climate change rabbit hole, and I feel a million times worse than I ever have before.
Don't let a few doomsayers knock you down.

I think things are being well and truly over-stated.

You have a small minority of utter idiots causing trouble. There was a protest where a whole eight people turned up. Things are nowhere near as bad as they seem, and my comment that USA is going down the toilet isn't a guide that I think you're going to fall in a heap.

Biden looks like he's going to do lots of things immediately which will help.

Keep hope alive!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics