ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , politics humor

Reply
Old 22nd May 2020, 01:57 PM   #641
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 26,079
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Better the devil you don't know, perhaps?

Other than the influence of your own thoughts about Trump, what would you say is the biggest influence he's had on your life? As in, policies that affect you directly.
That is, of course, an amusing bit of thought exercise, especially for people who are selfish and have no interest in the future of our country or the planet.

From the purely personal point of view, as usual, Trump is probably doing me no harm, perhaps even good. I'm retired, white, heterosexual, live rurally, have income from stocks, pay taxes. So sure, in the short term, without regard for what happens to the poor, or future generations, or any of the other abstract stuff that some people consider worth talking about, whenever I vote against a bigoted, anti-scientific, anti-environmental, corrupt, lying idiot like Trump and his cronies, I probably vote against my short-term self interest. Shame on me.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:50 PM   #642
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 44,510
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
That is, of course, an amusing bit of thought exercise, especially for people who are selfish and have no interest in the future of our country or the planet.
It was wasapi who introduced the lived experience criterion. If we're judging Trump based on effects we've heard about but not experienced directly, then we can certainly judge Attila "the Hun" the same way. You're taking me to task over wasapi's feigned ignorance.

Anyway, have you found your Forever Trump Nickname yet? Mine is still "Covidfefe".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 03:27 PM   #643
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 26,079
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It was wasapi who introduced the lived experience criterion. If we're judging Trump based on effects we've heard about but not experienced directly, then we can certainly judge Attila "the Hun" the same way. You're taking me to task over wasapi's feigned ignorance.

Anyway, have you found your Forever Trump Nickname yet? Mine is still "Covidfefe".
The question was not specifically aimed. If you find yourself in its way, fine, but if you're not, fine too. I'm quite willing to judge Attila the Hun as having been a bad fellow, despite my not personally feeling his arrows. I was also never skewered by Vlad the Impaler, and yet I feel it reasonable to suggest that he's not a model of good behavior.

But looking at it from a strictly personal point of view, assuming that the world ends when I die, a lot of conservative policies serve my self-interest. I can cast my ineffectual vote, and live like a rich libertarian without having to be actively hypocritical.

We make a lot of judgments based on what we believe is the right or wrong thing to do, without having to experience everything directly.

Covidfefe is OK, but it's a bit of a mouthful.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 04:24 PM   #644
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 44,510
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The question was not specifically aimed. If you find yourself in its way, fine, but if you're not, fine too.
You lost me. What question?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:30 PM   #645
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 26,079
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You lost me. What question?
Sorry not sure why I wrote "question" when I meant "comment."
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:57 AM   #646
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 9,056
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Covidfefe is OK, but it's a bit of a mouthful.
I'd change covfefe to CoVfefe in response to his handling of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

I know, explaining the joke spoils it.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:56 AM   #647
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 10,699
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump would. And the dog just brought coffee.

Wouldn't he claim that Obama was the one who bit them, and then the fake-news media blamed it on the dog?
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:34 AM   #648
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,915
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It was wasapi who introduced the lived experience criterion. If we're judging Trump based on effects we've heard about but not experienced directly, then we can certainly judge Attila "the Hun" the same way. You're taking me to task over wasapi's feigned ignorance.

Anyway, have you found your Forever Trump Nickname yet? Mine is still "Covidfefe".
"feigned ignorance"?


https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...urt-americans/
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:00 PM   #649
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I had to laugh at the photo of Trump at the top of that article. He's trying to appear big and tough. He's probably thinking about beating his chest like a Silverback gorilla.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:18 PM   #650
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 44,510
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Yes. You're evaluating Trump based on stuff you've heard or read about him, rather than stuff you've personally experienced. You can evaluate Attila the Hun the same way, but you pretend you can't.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM   #651
Cheetah
Master Poster
 
Cheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 2,666
The difference is everyone in the world has seen and heard what a despicable person Trump is. With their own eyes and ears. Firsthand. Multiple times. Live on TV.
Not so much Attila.
__________________
"... when you dig my grave, could you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain" - DMB
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM   #652
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 44,510
Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
The difference is everyone in the world has seen and heard what a despicable person Trump is. With their own eyes and ears. Firsthand. Multiple times. Live on TV.
Not so much Attila.
If you follow this conversation back, you'll see that the difference doesn't matter to the question of who was worse.

What's the worst thing you've witnessed with your own eyes and ears about Trump? What's the worst thing you've heard or read about the Hun? Compare the two - which is worse?

Not that it matters much. Follow the conversation a little further back, and you'll see that the previous question is whether Trump is so bad that, like Attila the Hun, he doesn't need a nickname. That's the question wasapi says she can't answer, because she's never experienced life under the Hun. Me, I'm perfectly comfortable nicknaming Trump based on secondhand reports rather than my own lived experience of the man. I think if we restricted it to personal lived experiences of the man, and we were being honest, most of us would have to go with the nickname, "President Nothingburger".

Again, not that it matters much. We're talking about finding a nickname for Donald Trump. This is not anything important.

Last edited by theprestige; Yesterday at 07:48 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM   #653
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 26,079
I do think the Attila/Trump issue is a little backwards. What makes a person's name an insult without accompanying epithets is not what one experiences during his tenure, but what history decides after.

We don't need epithets for Attila the Hun because he has been made an icon of nastiness by history. From what I've read he was really pretty nasty, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Whether or not you have any knowledge of his historical role, his name alone invokes an idea of invasion, pillage, rape, cultural sabotage, and an unforgiving heartlessness that is often a stand-in for ultra-conservatism. The groundlessness of the latter doesn't make it any less understandable that when one is said to be "to the right of Attila the Hun" it's understood as a grave insult.

It's convenient to have some names that stand for notable behavior, and membership in that class depends in part on convenient placement and timing, as well as character. You don't need historical analysis or a sea of words to know what's meant when you bring up Stalin or Quisling or Benedict Arnold - or for Gandhi, for that matter.

To suggest that Trump's name alone is enough is largely predictive, based on some people's opinion of how his policies and actions will appear in the future, but ultimately it will depend on how history judges him, and on the aftermath of his policies, more than on how people see things right now. If he's nowhere near as bad as Attila or ten times worse won't really matter if history finds it handy to use the name Trump as shorthand for a certain sort of leader.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #654
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 26,983
Unlike Trump, Attila was actually a leader.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #655
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 44,510
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I do think the Attila/Trump issue is a little backwards. What makes a person's name an insult without accompanying epithets is not what one experiences during his tenure, but what history decides after.

We don't need epithets for Attila the Hun because he has been made an icon of nastiness by history. From what I've read he was really pretty nasty, but it really doesn't matter anyway. Whether or not you have any knowledge of his historical role, his name alone invokes an idea of invasion, pillage, rape, cultural sabotage, and an unforgiving heartlessness that is often a stand-in for ultra-conservatism. The groundlessness of the latter doesn't make it any less understandable that when one is said to be "to the right of Attila the Hun" it's understood as a grave insult.

It's convenient to have some names that stand for notable behavior, and membership in that class depends in part on convenient placement and timing, as well as character. You don't need historical analysis or a sea of words to know what's meant when you bring up Stalin or Quisling or Benedict Arnold - or for Gandhi, for that matter.

To suggest that Trump's name alone is enough is largely predictive, based on some people's opinion of how his policies and actions will appear in the future, but ultimately it will depend on how history judges him, and on the aftermath of his policies, more than on how people see things right now. If he's nowhere near as bad as Attila or ten times worse won't really matter if history finds it handy to use the name Trump as shorthand for a certain sort of leader.
I agree with all of this.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.