ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Reply
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #2561
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 22,271
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Vote by mail really scares the crap out of the GOP because the majority think there will be more voter fraud. I don't think it's unfounded to conclude that they think the fraud would be by Democrats and to the detriment of Republicans. After all, it's Trump who has consistently...and without evidence... claimed there was massive voter fraud against him in 2016.


https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fav...an-divide-poll
I think it's more that it will actually be more legitimate. Many more Democrats will do the vote-by-mail, and Republicans will be screwed.
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:20 PM   #2562
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They may say that as a pretense, but some GOP leaders have admitted they fear losing elections if more people vote.
I think a lot of Republicans believe mail by vote favors Democrats but that is not necessarily borne out by evidence. While the NY Times and WAPO declared it's a myth, other research says it may slightly favor Dems. However, is some cases, it has actually favored Republicans.

What is clear is that Trump is the major force behind anti-mail by vote and his false allegations are definitely influencing how Republicans look at it.

https://www.wired.com/story/weird-pa...-vote-by-mail/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #2563
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think it's more that it will actually be more legitimate. Many more Democrats will do the vote-by-mail, and Republicans will be screwed.
That is not borne out by evidence in past elections. However, this election is different due to the pandemic. Democrats tend to take the virus more seriously than Republicans and therefore are more concerned about voting in person.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #2564
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,278
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They may say that as a pretense, but some GOP leaders have admitted they fear losing elections if more people vote.
Add on that it's yet another tool to scare their base into voting.

Incidentally, on the topic of vote by mail in a personal capacity... I applied to vote by mail. The system claims that my ballot was mailed to me on May 4th and it's still not here. Looks like I'll be voting in person soon.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:14 PM   #2565
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Add on that it's yet another tool to scare their base into voting.

Incidentally, on the topic of vote by mail in a personal capacity... I applied to vote by mail. The system claims that my ballot was mailed to me on May 4th and it's still not here. Looks like I'll be voting in person soon.
See? Somebody has stolen it and will be using it to fraudulently vote!

Are you sure it said it was actually mailed and not that they received your request on May 4th? You might try reporting to them that you never received it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #2566
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,426
Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
It will depend on how long, before there’s a widely distributed, effective vaccine or therapeutic, wouldn’t you say?

Covid-19 will keep on infecting, in the contiguous 48 states (plus DC), until there’s ~no one left to infect. Yes, small, remote settlements may stay unaffected for quite a while, but as with the 1918 flu pandemic, nowhere is truly isolated for years on end.

What will happen to partisanship when Covid-19 scythes through a small, ruby red, mid-western town? When there are no spare ICU beds in the one and only, struggling, county hospital?
Diseases don't continue rampant spread above a certain percentage of infections. I don't know how high that is for this illness.

But it seems to me that if COVID spreads slowly in the rural areas, say, then it won't be felt as an emergency there. Of course, it's hard to say, since slower spread can be devastating in areas where there are fewer hospital beds.

I'm just spitballin', obviously, with no real experience in these matters. But there's no doubt that cities like Boston and NYC have felt the urgency in ways that rural areas and even other cities have not. I don't know whether that will change. The article linked previously suggests not so much.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:26 PM   #2567
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 80,954
Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Add on that it's yet another tool to scare their base into voting.

Incidentally, on the topic of vote by mail in a personal capacity... I applied to vote by mail. The system claims that my ballot was mailed to me on May 4th and it's still not here. Looks like I'll be voting in person soon.
I would definitely report it. They might have the wrong address for you and it will matter a lot in Nov.

Trump has come right out and said he'd lose if there was vote by mail.

There is a problem with many ballots not getting to the voters. This will give the GOP a faux reason to declare there are millions of fraudulent votes even though that's as false as claiming bad registrations is equal to false votes. They drove ACORN out of business with that false claim.


Getting back to 'the stupid', there are a few idiots here in the Seattle area attacking and cursing at Asians claiming the pandemic is their fault. If that isn't stupid enough, one guy threw stuff and spit at people running a Thai restaurant. Guess he failed geography in school.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; Today at 02:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:17 PM   #2568
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Vote by mail really scares the crap out of the GOP because the majority think there will be more voter fraud. I don't think it's unfounded to conclude that they think the fraud would be by Democrats and to the detriment of Republicans. After all, it's Trump who has consistently...and without evidence... claimed there was massive voter fraud against him in 2016.


https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fav...an-divide-poll
No, it scares the crap out of the GOP because they don't want everyone to vote. Top Republican stategists for decades have been caught saying this. So they have been doing everything in their power to suppress the vote. Caging voter rolls, Voter ID laws. Anything and everything they can do to keep people who aren't going to vote Republican from voting.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2569
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, it scares the crap out of the GOP because they don't want everyone to vote. Top Republican stategists for decades have been caught saying this. So they have been doing everything in their power to suppress the vote. Caging voter rolls, Voter ID laws. Anything and everything they can do to keep people who aren't going to vote Republican from voting.
The two can both be true.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #2570
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,276
Voting by mail should be generally advantageous for the Dems because this is an an end run around the cruder methods of disenfranchisement aimed at predominantly Dem districts. The shenanigans in the last election in Georgia's 9th (IIRC) could well have been circumvented by widely supported mail-in ballots.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #2571
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,278
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
See? Somebody has stolen it and will be using it to fraudulently vote!

Are you sure it said it was actually mailed and not that they received your request on May 4th? You might try reporting to them that you never received it.
Yes. The request was made and approved on April 1, by the available record.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I would definitely report it. They might have the wrong address for you and it will matter a lot in Nov.
Unless they changed it for no good reason since last year's elections, they shouldn't have the wrong address, but yeah, I should just report it, as both of you suggested. Admittedly, I had thought to do that early last week when I checked, and then got distracted.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, it scares the crap out of the GOP because they don't want everyone to vote. Top Republican stategists for decades have been caught saying this. So they have been doing everything in their power to suppress the vote. Caging voter rolls, Voter ID laws. Anything and everything they can do to keep people who aren't going to vote Republican from voting.
Gleefully, at times.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:47 PM   #2572
Armitage72
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,106
White House advisor Kevin Hassett: "Our human capital stock is ready to go back to work."

Mooo.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:55 PM   #2573
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,851
They don't even hide their contempt for working people anymore...
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #2574
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
White House advisor Kevin Hassett: "Our human capital stock is ready to go back to work."

Mooo.
I read further down the tweets and found a video of some Kentuckians hanging Gov. Beshear in effigy on the state capitol grounds at a gun rights rally. Unsurprisingly, the man hanging it was middle-aged, white, and had a gun strapped to the waist of his camouflage pants. These guys really do see themselves as some kind of soldiers/militia.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #2575
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 6,278
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Voting by mail should be generally advantageous for the Dems because this is an an end run around the cruder methods of disenfranchisement aimed at predominantly Dem districts. The shenanigans in the last election in Georgia's 9th (IIRC) could well have been circumvented by widely supported mail-in ballots.
Increased participation is generally advantageous to Democrats, yes. Still, not all the shenanigans in Georgia would have been circumvented, like the hundreds of thousands purged with poor basis. Related to that, mail-in ballots wouldn't be allowed for purged voters of course, which reduces the increase related to easier participation significantly.

To poke elsewhere, Ohio and absentee voting! Ohio had done a bunch to make it easier to vote for all for a while. Then, when they had data to work with, they saw that absentee voting was much more used by Republicans than Democrats, while early in person voting was used much more by Democrats than Republicans. So they decided to severely limit early in person voting in response.
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:15 PM   #2576
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 24,942
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The two can both be true.
Yes they can. But one is a false and irrational fear based on messaging. The powerful can't say "we must keep people from voting". That would be undemocratic. No, we must package it in some way to make voter suppression palatable. So they scream voter fraud and that said policies are only to prevent that. There are no studies that back up the idea that voter fraud is real. OTOH, voter suppression is very real.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #2577
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 12,821
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yes they can. But one is a false and irrational fear based on messaging. The powerful can't say "we must keep people from voting". That would be undemocratic. No, we must package it in some way to make voter suppression palatable. So they scream voter fraud and that said policies are only to prevent that. There are no studies that back up the idea that voter fraud is real. OTOH, voter suppression is very real.
True.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.