ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Ahmaud Arbery , Georgia incidents , Gregory McMichael , prosecutorial misconduct , racism charges , racism incidents , shooting incidents , Travis McMichael , William Bryan

Old Today, 05:37 PM   #2681
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Head desk so hard it leaves it a dent*

YOU MEAN THE TRIAL THEY NEVER INTENDED TO ******* HAVE!? THAT TRIAL!? THE "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, DON'T EVEN NEED AN INVESTIGATION" TRIAL!? IS THAT THE TRIAL WHERE WE WERE GONNA SEE "ALL THE EVIDENCE?"

Nobody make any more goddamn appeals to "Well we gotta wait and see happens at the trial" without acknowledging the fact that they never had any intentions arresting or taking these men to trial.
Intentions don't matter any more. They're going to trial.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:43 PM   #2682
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

*Head desk so hard it leaves it a dent*

YOU MEAN THE TRIAL THEY NEVER INTENDED TO ******* HAVE!? THAT TRIAL!? THE "NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, DON'T EVEN NEED AN INVESTIGATION" TRIAL!? IS THAT THE TRIAL WHERE WE WERE GONNA SEE "ALL THE EVIDENCE?"

Nobody make any more goddamn appeals to "Well we gotta wait and see happens at the trial" without acknowledging the fact that they never had any intentions arresting or taking these men to trial.
I think that you are making the mistake of believing that the Authorities on the State Level are going to have the same biases as the Authorities on the local level. This simply isn't true. The Older McMicheals was friends with and used to work for the DA on the local level, it was this connection that allowed for them to get off, because the local DAs took their word for things and closed out the case. The State Level prosecutors have no such biases.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:51 PM   #2683
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think that you are making the mistake of believing that the Authorities on the State Level are going to have the same biases as the Authorities on the local level. This simply isn't true. The Older McMicheals was friends with and used to work for the DA on the local level, it was this connection that allowed for them to get off, because the local DAs took their word for things and closed out the case. The State Level prosecutors have no such biases.
There's still a billion variables at play here and a rather narrow set of them have to line up for things to really start to look promising to me.

I laid out my issues with "Don't worry the State of Georgia is here!" mentality earlier in the thread. And it's going to be months down the road before the trial does happen (assuming the McMichaels don't plead out to some BS 'Shooting a Black Guy without a License on Sunday" charge and get 2 weeks of picking up cans by the side of the road) and since the police didn't bother to do any investigation or collect any evidence or do something crazy like "Act like a crime might have happened" the odds are stacked hard against the defense.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #2684
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Nothing you said refutes what I said. To reiterate, I said that skin color wasn't a factor in what happened that day. Or, at least I haven't heard any evidence that skin color had anything to do with what happened that day.

Arbery was chased because he was suspected of committing a crime. He was shot because he charged at Travis. If he had been white and had acted exactly the same way, the same thing would have happened.

Whether or not the McMichael's were justified in doing what they did is a different question.
Did the two (now three) stupid crackers have direct knowledge of a crime committed by the victim as defined in the Georgia statute for citizen's arrest? Was that crime a felony? The police report indicates that the two boys said he looked liked someone suspected of a crime or that they thought he was a suspect in break-ins. That would not meet the requirement of the statute.
Old Today, 06:41 PM   #2685
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You know this because....? White people are never suspected of a crime? There are alot of white people in prison. Surely they must have been suspected of a crime at some point in their lives?
I asked this long ago and got crickets. If gun happy Georgia is blind to the race of others, there must be examples of white people who experienced the same thing as Arbery. Fire away (pun intended).

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:42 PM   #2686
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Another video of what? The shooting?
Yes, of course. That was your claim. You said it was reported that "there is another video of the shooting". You've been asked to provide such reports, which you also said were from "several reputable sources". So far, crickets.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:47 PM   #2687
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again this has been the game for a while.

"There's no evidence that this is a racist crime!"
"Okay... so we're hearing about a new incident of a black person being killed or harassed everyday and that isn't evidence of anything?"
"No because maybe the same things happen to white people too!"
"And we're not hearing about this incidents... why?"
*Crickets, "Look over there a squirrel", no answer*

They all are buying into the "Media is only reporting the racist crimes due to their liberal bias" thing.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #2688
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Yes, of course. That was your claim. You said it was reported that "there is another video of the shooting". You've been asked to provide such reports, which you also said were from "several reputable sources". So far, crickets.
And crickets is all you will get.

Yes, there is more of the video we have already seen - another 3+ minutes, all of which leads up to the shooting, but that has not been released to the public, and is unlikely to be.

There are no sources of other videos of the shooting. Sir Drinks a Lot simply pulled that particular piece of BS right out of his arse.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:28 PM   #2689
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Where is the evidence that it was race related? Or is every interaction between people with different skin color assumed to be racial in nature to you? That seems like a rather racist view of the world.
You were making statements of facts, man. Why are you asking for evidence from others, when you can make claims without evidence yourself?

All I see from you is deflection.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:44 PM   #2690
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post

Do you want those "racist" facts and figures for violent crime correlated to race quoted at you again? Probably not.
Do you need it explained to you that assuming someone is a violent criminal based on the color of their skin is the definition of racism?

You clearly do, but I doubt it would do any good.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:47 PM   #2691
johnny karate

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I just found it easily, in several reputable sources, with a simple Google search. My statement is a stamens of fact: We e definitely don't have access to all the video in the case.

Want to put your money where you your uninformed mouth is with an avatar bet?
Your original claim was that there was a second video of the shooting.

Iíll take that bet.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #2692
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Again this has been the game for a while.

"There's no evidence that this is a racist crime!"
"Okay... so we're hearing about a new incident of a black person being killed or harassed everyday and that isn't evidence of anything?"
"No because maybe the same things happen to white people too!"
"And we're not hearing about this incidents... why?"
*Crickets, "Look over there a squirrel", no answer*

They all are buying into the "Media is only reporting the racist crimes due to their liberal bias" thing.

Which is a really stupid position to take, since conservative media with a right and very right bias (Faux News, Washington Examiner, Washington Times, New York Post, Reason, Daily Caller, Daily Wire etc) are also not reporting daily regular instances of white people being harassed by black cops and white joggers being chased down and shot by blacks with shotguns.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:00 PM   #2693
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Which is a really stupid position to take, since conservative media with a right and very right bias (Faux News, Washington Examiner, Washington Times, New York Post, Reason, Daily Caller, Daily Wire etc) are also not reporting daily regular instances of white people being harassed by black cops and white joggers being chased down and shot by blacks with shotguns.
They also don't say much about black people killing whites at wildly disproportionate rates. That's just expected and accepted. But if a white guy kills a black guy, that's a racist travesty and international news.

See, that's what doesn't sit right with some of us. There's this subtext that white criminals are held to a higher standard of behavior, and black criminals are held to a lower bar. That really doesn't feel right.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:34 PM   #2694
johnny karate

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
They also don't say much about black people killing whites at wildly disproportionate rates. That's just expected and accepted. But if a white guy kills a black guy, that's a racist travesty and international news.

See, that's what doesn't sit right with some of us. There's this subtext that white criminals are held to a higher standard of behavior, and black criminals are held to a lower bar. That really doesn't feel right.
Yeah, black people have been getting a free ride in the American criminal justice system for far too long.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events