ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st February 2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Armitage72
Illuminator

Psychology Experiment/Psychic Demonstration

I want to try a psychology experiment I read in a magazine decades ago. It was used as a demonstration of how one could pretend to be psychic with a little luck and knowledge of human nature.

People here are going to have to cooperate and not cheat to make it work.

I'm going to ask each of you to provide a list of three things. I'll spoiler block what I think your answers will be.
Each person needs to spoiler block their answers, and not look at my answers or anyone else's before they answer. Each of you needs to answer without knowing what anyone else answered.

Ready?

1. Name a color.
2. Name a flower.
3. Name a piece of furniture.

My prediction.
Red
Rose
Chair

The article claimed that the majority of people would choose these three answers. Granted, it was aimed more toward face to face interaction and quick answers. People here will probably take their time and give weird answers.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

1. lime green
2. Rafflesia arnoldii
3. Queen Anne side table
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:27 PM   #3
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

1. Gray
2. Magnolia
3. Nightstand

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:33 PM   #4
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

I did indeed pick

red rose chair

amazing! I'm very dull!
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Armitage72
Illuminator

As I recall, the article presented it in the context of a carnival midway mind reading trick.

"Step up, pay your money, and write down a color, a flower, and a piece of furniture. If I can't guess what you picked, you win a prize."
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:52 PM   #6
welshdean
Heb ei fai, heb ei eni

Red

Daffodil

Foot-Stool

First two = WelshDean
Last one = I'm looking at it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP

Last edited by welshdean; 21st February 2020 at 01:55 PM.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Masque
Student

Blue
Rose
Chair

"Family Feud" has been working off the predictability of common answers to questions for decades.
Masque is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 02:15 PM   #8
xjx388
Philosopher

Psychology Experiment/Psychic Demonstration

Blue, Daisy, Chair

Sorry, I messed that up. Hope I caught it quick enough. I did it in the “quick answer,” mode.

Last edited by xjx388; 21st February 2020 at 02:18 PM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 02:23 PM   #9
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Black
Daffodil
Chair

Not an unqualified success so far is it?

Of course, if you were to get a room full of people to write it down then say "someone has written..." you probably get a hit and impress the marks.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 21st February 2020 at 02:25 PM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 03:06 PM   #10
JimOfAllTrades
Muse

Color - Red
Flower - Tulip
Furniture - Couch
JimOfAllTrades is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 05:45 PM   #11
Pope130
Illuminator

1. Name a color. Sage Green
2. Name a flower. Hyacinth
3. Name a piece of furniture. Wardrobe

Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 06:39 PM   #12
Humots
Critical Thinker

Red
Rose
Chair
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

When thinking in terms of what might be the most common answers, I did indeed pick all three. I won't bother to spoiler them. Had I not been thinking in those terms, though, I don't really know what I would have picked - if that makes any sense.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 06:58 PM   #14
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Interesting...

Magenta (my brain went into a horrible flip-flop state between Chatruse, Magenta and Teal who can tell why these things happen? None would have qualified anyway so it doesn't matter)
Moth-orchid
Futon

I think it probably needs more setup.

And probably needs to be tuned to the audience a bit more.

i.e. Red Rose Chair. Lower-classes in England maybe?
Old 21st February 2020, 07:10 PM   #15
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

1. Grey
2. Elephant
3. Denmark

Old 21st February 2020, 07:10 PM   #16
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Sorry, I just realized that I broke the rules and had read the OP's mind instead. Sorry about that.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 07:56 PM   #17
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
1. Orange
2. Poppy
3. Bench
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:13 AM   #18
Wolrab
Illuminator

red rose couch
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:25 AM   #19
p0lka
Graduate Poster

red, chrysanthemum, couch.
I initially thought rose, but changed it because it was too linked to red.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:26 AM   #20
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

jade-green
giant white bird of paradise [Strelitzia nicolai]
Sideboard
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:34 AM   #21
Myriad
Hyperthetical

1. Beige
2. Nasturtium
3. Credenza
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:53 AM   #22
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I followed the OP's rules, but the answers I chose were related to things I've recently dealt with or come in contact with in my real life (since there was no instruction to actually attempt to read the OP's mind). That's going to change the results.

For instance,
I think it's likely that people who garden will have a different distribution of answers for a flower than people whose main interaction with flowers is buying cut flowers as gifts. If your main use of color in your life is reading traffic signals and daydreaming about what color sports car you'd buy if you had more money, that limits your likely choices. The standard answers are those of a passive consumer of color, flowers, and furniture, either reflecting the answerer or the answerer's rather unflattering estimation of the questioner's mindset.
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:59 AM   #23
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Green, Daffodil & Chaise Longue

Where's my prize?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 22nd February 2020 at 07:02 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:47 AM   #24
Humots
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
Red
Rose
Chair
Oh wow. Right on the money.

Does that work this way?
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:51 AM   #25
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Turquoise
Lily
Chair
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 01:28 PM   #26
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
Oh wow. Right on the money.

Does that work this way?
No, your examples are about restricting what seems to be a wide choice to what is actually a very small pool of answers and then picking the most common answer out of that small pool (because it's the most 'random sounding').

The OP's version is an almost unlimited pool of answers, but the answers given are the most common ones, they're nice simple words that will have been among the first you learned as a child and are likely to pop into plenty of people's minds if asked for their first answers, especially if put on the spot so they don't have a chance to get clever. Ask enough people and some of them will pop these out.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 03:01 PM   #27
Wolrab
Illuminator

You skeptics. Obvious psychic powers.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2020, 04:01 PM   #28
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
No, your examples are about restricting what seems to be a wide choice to what is actually a very small pool of answers and then picking the most common answer out of that small pool (because it's the most 'random sounding').

The OP's version is an almost unlimited pool of answers, but the answers given are the most common ones, they're nice simple words that will have been among the first you learned as a child and are likely to pop into plenty of people's minds if asked for their first answers, especially if put on the spot so they don't have a chance to get clever. Ask enough people and some of them will pop these out.

Yep. If the goal given in the OP was to actually attempt to read someone's mind, and I knew that person wanted me to succeed in doing so (and I didn't want the demo to fail), I'd have gotten the right answers. I'd just assume they'd make the most common answers the target to have the best chance to succeed.

That's related to another game that I'll describe for illustration purposes (but you can try it if you want, I'll post my own spoilered answer below): You and an adult total stranger from your own country are asked, in separate isolated rooms, to specify an amount of money, with no limits. If you both specify the same amount, you each win that amount of money. Otherwise you get nothing. What amount do you choose?

[DoctorEvil]One MIL-lllion dollars.[/DoctorEvil]
Old 22nd February 2020, 04:53 PM   #29
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
That's related to another game that I'll describe for illustration purposes (but you can try it if you want, I'll post my own spoilered answer below): You and an adult total stranger from your own country are asked, in separate isolated rooms, to specify an amount of money, with no limits. If you both specify the same amount, you each win that amount of money. Otherwise you get nothing. What amount do you choose?
An infinite amount of money. You said I had to specify "an amount of money, with no limits". The only amount that has no limit is infinity. I saw right through your trick question. Ha!
Old 23rd February 2020, 01:46 AM   #30
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

1. Name a color.
Blue
2. Name a flower.
Rose
3. Name a piece of furniture.
Chair

ETA: I went with the first that popped into my mind. I did consider going with the most unlikely answers I could think of, but I'm not that cruel. Two out of three "right", i.e. as predicted.

Last edited by Pixel42; 23rd February 2020 at 01:50 AM.
Pixel42 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 05:08 AM   #31
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

1: fuschia
2: fuschia
3: chair

Quote:
People here will probably take their time and give weird answers.
Top prediction.

Last edited by The Common Potato; 25th February 2020 at 05:10 AM.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 09:23 AM   #32
xjx388
Philosopher

There's a fun little card game that plays on this idea. It's called Medium.

Basically you and a partner each have a hand of cards with random words on it. You each choose one from your hand, play them at the same time, silently think of a word or phrase that connects them, then countdown 3, 2, 1 and blurt it out together. If you match words, you get points. So if "Beach" and "Taco" are played, maybe "Shell" is the word you both think of. No verbal or non-verbal communication is allowed except for saying the played words as you play them.

It's a fun game and some of the matches seem truly weird.
Old 25th February 2020, 05:36 PM   #33
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

I was 0 for 3, but I tried to think of non-obvious answers.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 05:49 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I know the trick, so I'm going to go with

Chartreuse
Ghost orchid
Chaise-lounge

Just to mess with your statistics.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 06:09 PM   #35
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I know the trick, so I'm going to go with

Chartreuse
Ghost orchid
Chaise-lounge

Just to mess with your statistics.
I was reading your mind while you were thinking and I came up with:

Greenish-yellow
Dendrophylax lindenii
Chaise-longue

I got them all wrong. I guess psychic powers aren't real.
Old 25th February 2020, 06:18 PM   #36
Startz
Muse

Red, rose, chair
Startz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 06:27 PM   #37
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

Basically you and a partner each have a hand of cards with random words on it. You each choose one from your hand, play them at the same time, silently think of a word or phrase that connects them, then countdown 3, 2, 1 and blurt it out together. If you match words, you get points. So if "Beach" and "Taco" are played, maybe "Shell" is the word you both think of. No verbal or non-verbal communication is allowed except for saying the played words as you play them.

It's one of our improv group games called Convergence, except it doesn't require any cards. Two people in the group come up with random base words (which surprisingly sometimes takes longer than one would think) -- the first one to think of one says "One" and holds up a finger, the next says "Two" and holds up two fingers. The group then chants "One, two, three" and the two players blurt their new "connected" words. If they're the same, the round ends. If different, the two new words become the base words and the round continues.

I don't believe we've ever gone past five non-connections in a round, and some of the leaps to connections are amazing! It is very pleasing to reach the same word with the same person a number of times in an evening.
Old 25th February 2020, 07:21 PM   #38
Michel H
Master Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

There is a striking difference between the way you present this game, and the way the website you mention presents it.

You:
Quote:
No verbal or non-verbal communication is allowed except for saying the played words as you play them.

The website (https://store.greaterthangames.com/m...ab-description):
Quote:
In the game Medium, players act as psychic mediums, harnessing their powerful extra-sensory abilities to access other players’ thoughts. Together in pairs, they mentally determine the Medium: the word that connects the words on their two cards, and then attempt to say the same word at the same time!

Two cards. Two thoughts. One mind.

Description Reviews
Medium is a social word game of reading your friends’ minds!
In your description, all references to extra-sensory perception or mind reading have been erased.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 08:25 PM   #39
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
There is a striking difference between the way you present this game, and the way the website you mention presents it.

You:

In your description, all references to extra-sensory perception or mind reading have been erased.
Because they don't exist.
Old 25th February 2020, 09:41 PM   #40
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post

You:

Well...yeah. That was on purpose.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal