ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 10th December 2018, 08:48 AM   #401
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by herrdocjdm View Post
1) Looney tunes. Check.
2) Diabetes and needs to eat, pronto. Check.
3) Driving around with his focus clearly on his video camera instead of things like the road and other cars. Check.

This moron is going to kill someone.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 09:36 AM   #402
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
1) Looney tunes. Check.
2) Diabetes and needs to eat, pronto. Check.
3) Driving around with his focus clearly on his video camera instead of things like the road and other cars. Check.

This moron is going to kill someone.
Barn' explains it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Feynman
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 11:16 AM   #403
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Burying their dead would be the #1 way to ensure that we'd uncover remains eventually. I continue to be surprised by how this illogical trope lives on in bigfootery.

ETA Meldrum: Shrike is wrong because everyone knows that bigfoots only live in the "Pacific Northwest" and when they bury their dead there the bodies are immediately consumed by the soil that is technically lava.
I think everyone recognizes that Meldrum's expertise and knowledge of bushcraft has always hovered around zero - but that is a result of his lack of training and experience and he cannot really be blamed for the outrageous stupidity that he spouts regarding basic tracking and wilderness situations.
However, his feigned ignorance of the basics of science that he must know in order to have achieved his graduate degrees cannot be excused and should result in an investigation regarding his competence and integrity at Idaho State University.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 10th December 2018 at 11:50 AM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th December 2018, 11:32 AM   #404
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Barn' explains it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Wrong. It is obviously Jesse Pinkman's meth drop off site.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2018, 09:04 AM   #405
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I think everyone recognizes that Meldrum's expertise and knowledge of bushcraft has always hovered around zero
I'm going to quibble with your use of the term everyone, and that's why he's such a menace to the promotion of science and critical thinking.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 04:47 PM   #406
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I think everyone recognizes that Meldrum's expertise and knowledge of bushcraft has always hovered around zero - but that is a result of his lack of training and experience and he cannot really be blamed for the outrageous stupidity that he spouts regarding basic tracking and wilderness situations.
Sure he can.

He is a poseur, an impostor, a con man knowing full well he is weaving fairy tales.

He lives in Bigfoot's back yard and has so most of his life with the express goal, childhood fantasy, of playing a major role in bigfoot "science".

That's what you hear out of kids who wanted to be Olympic Gold Medalists or blistering guitarists or billionaires.

To excuse his ignorance in the habitat and environment of the object of his study is to fall prey to an act he puts on as needed. Like playing dumb.

Nobody understands better than Merldumb himself that Bigfoot doesn't exist. He is 100% positive of it and was so the day he decided to achieve notoriety in the field. There was already an existing blueprint to follow and no competitor in the wings, Dr. Groober Krantz.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 05:02 AM   #407
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Hmmm....

https://ravallirepublic.com/news/sta...56572ed9d.html

Quote:
The Helena man told dispatchers he then confronted the shooter, who told him he was “not wearing orange and thought he was Bigfoot,” according to Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 09:18 AM   #408
Drewbot
Philosopher

Attempted Negligent Homicide, for shooting at a person you thought was Bigfoot?

What if the guy had said he thought he was a Zombie, or a Unicorn? or some other imaginary creature?

Will it take a murder for someone to testify that Bigfoot is real in a court of law?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 09:28 AM   #409
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Have the police confirmed that the incident actually happened?
Old 19th December 2018, 09:31 AM   #410
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Have the police confirmed that the incident actually happened?
I don't see how it could be confirmed.

I guess if the spot could be found you could start looking for bullet holes in trees.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 09:40 AM   #411
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There are questionable elements to this story. It reads like a Bigfoot story.
Old 19th December 2018, 11:47 AM   #412
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Sheriff has some doubts...

Originally Posted by Idaho Statesman
Local law enforcement are now looking for leads on who the person in the black F-150 might be, though (Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo) Dutton said “there was some question about the veracity of the report” because it was called in the day after the alleged near-death incident, and because the man couldn’t describe the alleged shooter. The man also said he didn’t want to pursue charges and didn’t want to talk to deputies, Dutton said.
The dude actually had a conversation with the shooter but couldn't give a description of him?

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...223287195.html
Old 19th December 2018, 11:52 AM   #413
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

The dude actually had a conversation with the shooter but couldn't give a description of him?

If you watch the embededed video, there's a claim if DNA evidence, which is another bigfoot ******** story. They always lie.

Feynman
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 12:11 PM   #414
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen lots of hunters and I couldn't tell you what they looked like, other than "wearing camo" head to toe.

Old 19th December 2018, 12:25 PM   #415
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
"wearing camo" head to toe.
It seems that the dude didn't even say that. Because I can imagine a different report saying, "could give no description other than that he was wearing camouflage from head to toe".
Old 19th December 2018, 12:27 PM   #416
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Idaho Statesman
The man said one bullet hit three feet to his left on Sunday and another whizzed past him on the right. He explained that he ran into the trees for cover as more gunfire came his way. Eventually he came out to confront the man in a black Ford F-150 who shot at him, he said.
Does this mean that he was shooting from the truck?
Old 19th December 2018, 12:27 PM   #417
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that the dude didn't even say that. Because I can imagine a different report saying, "could give no description other than that he was wearing camouflage from head to toe".
Well, what does a bigfoot hunter look like...?

Old 19th December 2018, 12:34 PM   #418
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
But after reports of the alleged shooting appeared in the Helena Independent Record, another woman came forward with a similar experience, potentially bolstering the man’s story, Dutton said.

The woman told law enforcement that she had been shot at by a man in a black F-150 as well. Bigfoot didn’t come up in that woman’s report, according to Dutton, but the woman did give a better description of the man, who she said she also confronted about shooting at her.
Well there are at least two victims now, and one did give a good description, and both stories roughly agree.

Old 19th December 2018, 01:09 PM   #419
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Triggerhappy nimrod goes 0 for 2 . . .

Bigfootin' boneheads again.

Feynman
Old 26th December 2018, 06:03 AM   #420
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Monstrous creature ‘turned its head and looked straight at our car,’ Kentucky woman says

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/...223524695.html

Quote:
The woman, who he declined to name, is reported to have seen “a creature” while she was a passenger in her husband’s vehicle, about 7:45 p.m. on Oct. 18.

“At some point, I started screaming...‘there is something in the road!’,” the woman is quoted saying.

“I’m looking at this thing which is...at least 7 ft tall. It was the color of a tree...It turned its head and looked straight at our car.”
BFRO report:

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=61097

Not sure why an Oct sighting is in the news now.

Last edited by LTC8K6; 26th December 2018 at 06:04 AM.
Old 26th December 2018, 09:11 AM   #421
8enotto
Muse

They needed time to analyze the incident.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 09:28 AM   #422
Drewbot
Philosopher

Well at least the investigator wouldn't make stuff up, he was in the military after all.
Quote:
Jack Smarr is retired military and worked primarily in Field Artillery, Armored Cavalry and Armor units.
Wouldn't 'Armored Cavalry' fall under "Armor Units"
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 10:26 AM   #423
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Well at least the investigator wouldn't make stuff up, he was in the military after all.

Wouldn't 'Armored Cavalry' fall under "Armor Units"
Functionally, Armored Cav is scouting forces mounted on the Bradley or wheeled vehicles, Armor is Main Battle Tanks. Socially there is a huge difference, Stetsons v Black Berets.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 11:22 AM   #424
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
They needed time to analyze the incident.
They only made a phone call...

Old 26th December 2018, 11:34 AM   #425
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Functionally, Armored Cav is scouting forces mounted on the Bradley or wheeled vehicles, Armor is Main Battle Tanks. Socially there is a huge difference, Stetsons v Black Berets.
Just don't confuse Cavalry with armored vehicles, with a unit designated Armored Cavalry.

If your unit is designated Armored Cavalry, you are in an 'Armor Unit'

If you unit is designated 'Cavalry' and you have armored vehicles your are not in an 'Armor Unit'.

If you are in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, you are in an 'Armor Unit'
There is no need to say 'Armored Cavalry Unit' AND 'Armored Unit'

You could be in a Cavalry unit, that has armored vehicles, and be attached to an Armored Unit, or an Infantry Unit, but you are not in an Amored Cavalry Unit.
Old 26th December 2018, 12:04 PM   #426
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Just don't confuse Cavalry with armored vehicles, with a unit designated Armored Cavalry.

If your unit is designated Armored Cavalry, you are in an 'Armor Unit'

If you unit is designated 'Cavalry' and you have armored vehicles your are not in an 'Armor Unit'.

If you are in the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, you are in an 'Armor Unit'
There is no need to say 'Armored Cavalry Unit' AND 'Armored Unit'

You could be in a Cavalry unit, that has armored vehicles, and be attached to an Armored Unit, or an Infantry Unit, but you are not in an Amored Cavalry Unit.
Or you can be Air Cav . . .

I AGREE

Feynman
Old 26th December 2018, 12:20 PM   #427
8enotto
Muse

They only made a phone call...
Yeah. Not much more than the normal tiny bits to go on as the couple somehow missed a photo op again and did not stop to do an extensive search for evidence. Again.

" I seen " is just enough evidence and ' right around this area' is perfectly localized.

This is paranormal " research " so any sound or shadow not easily explained had to be it.

More like a slow month or two and anything to juice up interests will do. Research doesn't pay for itself.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 12:21 PM   #428
Drewbot
Philosopher

In the Civil War, my ancestor was in Cavalry Units, and Horse Units.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:31 AM   #429
mustbeso
Thinker

For what it's worth, a long time ago I was a member of the 1st Air Cavalry. None of us ever saw a bigfoot though.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 05:53 PM   #430
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Well, hopefully everyone's vision has improved since then.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2018, 10:43 PM   #431
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Well, hopefully everyone's vision has improved since then.
Cameras have improved a lot, both in quality and quantity, yet...

Old 30th December 2018, 12:16 AM   #432
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Cameras have improved a lot, both in quality and quantity, yet...
Imagine all the technological innovations and scientific advances made since the PGF. Now, contrast that with the strides made in bigfootery since that time.

Feynman
Old 1st January 2019, 04:51 PM   #433
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Imagine all the technological innovations and scientific advances made since the PGF. Now, contrast that with the strides made in bigfootery since that time.
Exactly so.

We've had about a century of worldwide media hoaxing now. Yeti first, then Sasquatch, and Bigfoot. Of course there are many bit players regionally but those are the three world medalists.

In the first Nepal Yeti hoaxing, by 1920 or so we had: Print media. Radio. Silent films.

You could get to Nepal by wagon to your local town, then railroads to a coastal port, ship passage overseas, etc. - just getting there would take a couple weeks and cost a lot of money.

A hippie teen on summer vacation can be there in 24 hours on what they saved from Starbucks tips today.

So there is no point to going. Bigfoot had to be in places nobody could get to. Even the greatest climbers in the world could only get within sighting tracks in the distance 100 years ago.

So Bigfoot evolved to common LARPing. You didn't have to be a movie star smuggling a fake finger across international borders.

The advance in technology did that: Proving Bigfoot does not exist in the high mountains of Nepal, in the subarctic of Canada, or the last remaining wilderness areas of the Continental US.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 1st January 2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 2nd January 2019, 05:44 AM   #434
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
or the last remaining wilderness areas of the Continental US.
Even the last remaining wilderness areas get surveyed by professionals, and a good count of large wildlife is possible.

On Isle Royale in Lake Superior, they pretty much can tell you within a small percentage error, how many wolves and moose are on the island at any given time.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/life-and-...ew-isle-r.html
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:16 AM   #435
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Never mind whether anyone has seen a Bigfoot lately, has anyone even seen a Bigfoot believer lately? I haven't. All's quiet on the Bigfoot front. There's still the bi-monthly "I saw a shadow in the woods from my moving car" story on certain paranormal sites, but I've seen nothing else.

BoredomFoot 2019.

I bet even Cliff has moved on to pastures new, he's probably into flat earthing or doing the floss.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:14 PM   #436
Drewbot
Philosopher

There is a photo going around on Facebook of a game cam shot showing another quadruped similar to the bear shot from a few years ago.

It is clearly a pig or a dog.

However even the regular footers are piling on about the crappiness of the photo, and how it is obviously not a bigfoot.
Old 2nd January 2019, 01:43 PM   #437
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

However even the regular footers are piling on about the crappiness of the photo, and how it is obviously not a bigfoot.
Frustration must be setting in, about bloody time as well.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 04:56 PM   #438
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Never mind whether anyone has seen a Bigfoot lately, has anyone even seen a Bigfoot believer lately? I haven't. All's quiet on the Bigfoot front. There's still the bi-monthly "I saw a shadow in the woods from my moving car" story on certain paranormal sites, but I've seen nothing else.

BoredomFoot 2019

I bet even Cliff has moved on to pastures new, he's probably into flat earthing or doing the floss.
I've been lamenting the same thing. Seems the debunking¹ has worked.

There is a photo going around on Facebook of a game cam shot showing another quadruped similar to the bear shot from a few years ago.

It is clearly a pig or a dog.

The premise of it being a "bipedal" monster gets obliterated again as it appears they can only get pics of it "down on all fours".

¹ The debunking mostly entails the constant refrain "show us the monkey".
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 04:34 PM   #439
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Look what has happened to the quality of bigfoot sightings and those who make them since the origins of this phenomenon.

Initially, you have intrepid expedition leaders: climbers of the tallest mountains on earth, in the middle of great deeds of derring-do... and a track is seen in the distance among the high glaciers. The Mighty Sherpa shrug, " Oh yes, the abominable snowman, he ate three porters last week."

You have the most famous movie actor on earth smugging in a fake finger from a remote mountain monestary. A bona-fide tiger hunting concessionaire converting his expeditions into soaking Tom Slick and other millionaires looking for bigfoot.

By the time you get to John Green in his first job as a "newspaper" editor in Harrison Hot Springs B.C. Canada - you've already taken a big step down. He has a really mentally questionable lead-shot recycler as his "guide", and they don't even set foot in the woods.

It's ironic that the Patterson-Gimlin film has become such a standard in "proof of existence". Because it was a watershed event ushering in the era of shaky-cam production by complete deadbeats.

At least John Green had a job at The Advance, his little resort area blog. I think his parents bought it for him.

But Green is a putz, he isn't a mountain climber or tiger hunting guide. Patterson, although you do have to respect his tumbling, boxing, and craft skills - he is just shaking a camera, something a thousand morons have done since. Living in mom's basement, hold the cell phone she bought you out the basement window at night and shake it while saying "what was that noise!?"

It inspires the mathematically inclined to think about asymptotes. We are approaching some kind of moron asymptote, the lowest IQ and most hideous person involved in a bigfoot sighting.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:37 PM   #440
8enotto
Muse

Now we have some guy in Georgia driving around back streets in urban areas that supposedly have more crypto population than humans.

No doubt he sees some strange hairy bipedal creatures out there but most are likely to fire back at him.

The internet seems to make it simpler to become an expert of sorts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal