ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 04:59 AM   #481
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Incidentally at the other end of sports, quite often there is the opposite problem. Kids and amateur women who would like to participate with men being excluded because teams are sex segregated. I think most people would argue that any woman/girl who wants to play with men should be allowed to right?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:05 AM   #482
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,042
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Incidentally at the other end of sports, quite often there is the opposite problem. Kids and amateur women who would like to participate with men being excluded because teams are sex segregated. I think most people would argue that any woman/girl who wants to play with men should be allowed to right?
Yes, I would argue that consenting adults should have the opportunity.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:10 AM   #483
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
this is already the case. We just pretend it isn't by calling them women's and men's sports rather than 'Elite sport' and 'not as good/strong' sports.
Of course, but I think "women's champion of the world" sounds more prestigious than "featherweight champion".

ETA: However, even then you'd have issues, because you have featherweight men, who will also outperform women. In fact, I don't think you can find a category where this won't happen, forcing women into their own categories anyway.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward



Last edited by Belz...; 6th March 2019 at 05:12 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:12 AM   #484
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 25,042
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I follow you up to here but don't see that this follows. There are plenty of non-elite professional sportspeople at various levels. In fact that is what women's sport currently is and it does quite well in many areas.
There are, but think of say the English Football League. Once you get down to the lowest threshold of players being able to be paid full-time for what they do you will probably find it hard, if not impossible, for many women to break into even those ranks. Hence, their participation becomes rare. Similarly, Serena Williams playing at 400th in the world. I don't know if that ranking pays well, but there is almost certainly a severe drop off after that, and one of the reasons she is so good is because she received the kind of intense coaching that is given to those who show promise of going further. If women's tennis was not a separate thing, she probably would never have been as good.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:12 AM   #485
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is this a thing that actually exists? The only comparable examples I know of are of no help to women at all. They tend to be split between amateur and pro - but they would still be dominated by cis-males. Obviously there are leagues in which teams can get promoted or relegated but again, in say the FA in the UK all the teams are male and probably will remain that way. I can see women getting into sports where there are specializations - coxes in rowing etc... baseball relief pitchers who have some special throw, etc... darts, snooker (oddly enough men seem to dominate these sports too!) Also I know of things like rugby sevens where the best teams play for the cup, the less good ones play for the plate and the worst ones play for spoon - or try to avoid it. Still, even the worst teams would probably be all-male affairs. I know of veterans leagues which use only over-40s but again all male.

I literally canít see a way of women being competitive without their own leagues. So yeah, I agree with luchog about being clueless regarding luchogís fix, despite luchog not giving a ratís arse about sport. I await enlightenment.
It is most certainly not a thing.

I find sports boring as hell but I have a lot of friends who like them and in my opinion, luchog has a point of view that comes from a great understanding of the feelings of transgender people, but a lack of knowledge in sport, and the feelings of those who compete.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:20 AM   #486
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
But if biological women are not as good as biological men then 'women's' and 'men's' designations are effectively the same thing.It seems to be just a quirk of our social conditioning that we ended up here where womens and mens elite sports are seen as equivalent despite the gulf in class but you cannot deny that this binary system is excluding trans people and as ideas of gender change there are going to be issues like this that need to be rethought.

I am not clear what the answer is but maybe it is about having classes that better reflect what would actually be going on. Of course, you could just redefine Women's sports as Cis-women's sports. But I imagine a lot of women would object to that too.

And that is what bothers me about a lot of this. Women who want to close off their world to transwomen, deny that they are women and assume bad faith on the part of transwomen - you just want to muscle in on our space so you can beat us up/rape us/molest kids/stop us playing sport/etc etc
Someone's feelings matter until they have real effects, then logic and reason are to be used.

Sport isn't generally to make people feel better at competitive levels, it's to make money, no team is going to pick worse players to be nice. No one is going to want to watch that team, and they will lose they will not make money and fold.

And if law were instituted in the MLB nhl etc. Teams would simply pull out and form new leagues, as people would be less willing to watch a sport with less skilled players.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:24 AM   #487
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,292
Wait... wait... so all I had to do to not suck at sports in school would have been to wear a skirt? Damn. Why wasn't that a thing in my time? I mean, I liked wearing girl clothes anyway
__________________
Which part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:24 AM   #488
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yes, so women would mostly compete in the lower professional rankings. The top tiers would be dominated, perhaps entirely populated, by men.
I don't even think "lower professional" would be low enough. If the bar to low professional gets lowered ,more men will try.

I got out of competitive (not pro, like pride or ufc obviously, local stuff) material arts because i was mediocre as hell, i could kind of almost make it but with a lot more effort, and less results. If the bar was 20% lower because of being flooded, I'd probably have stayed.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:26 AM   #489
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I follow you up to here but don't see that this follows. There are plenty of non-elite professional sportspeople at various levels. In fact that is what women's sport currently is and it does quite well in many areas.
Not compared to men's sport by any means.

Do you understand the concept of a 'ringer" ? Trans women would effectively be ringers in any female league.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:28 AM   #490
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Incidentally at the other end of sports, quite often there is the opposite problem. Kids and amateur women who would like to participate with men being excluded because teams are sex segregated. I think most people would argue that any woman/girl who wants to play with men should be allowed to right?
Depends on the sport. I'm not sentencing a female fighter to brain damage if they was to fight a male pro. And if I'm the league in not taking that chance insurance wise.

Id also not allow someone to fight 20% out of their weight class.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:43 AM   #491
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Anecdote alert

When I was into fitness and MMA I along with a few friends tried to get into it competitively. I was mediocre bordering on bad. Never fought anywhere people paid to see, local "a bunch of guys in a gym with a 20 dollar trade marked name. " crap.

One of our friends was a female who later went on to a bit of local fame, no one who is going to be on a wheeties box, but someone who made money via fighting on a few occasions because people wanted to see her level of skill.

Being by far the smallest guy, I was the only one to take her up when she wanted to spar (obviously not in the ring, when hanging out, etc. Friendly competition done safely. ).

I can't say I mopped the floor with her, but I can say I won more than I lost. And it had nothing to do with skill, she had me beat on all fronts that way, it was simply that with equal effort I had some severe advantages.

The biggest thing I noticed was the impact of my strikes, against a guy of equal size I always had trouble doing damage, and hitting hard and accurate enough to throw someone off their game. While I sparred with her, I'd pull my punches for fear of doing lasting harm.

And that is what would happen if we made leagues Co ed. A bunch of small guys who have little skill are going to take the place of more skilled athletes because natural advantage makes sports harder for women (of all kinds).
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:46 AM   #492
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,261
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I follow you up to here but don't see that this follows. There are plenty of non-elite professional sportspeople at various levels. In fact that is what women's sport currently is and it does quite well in many areas.
It does well because itís women, and a lot of spectators specifically want to see women. But if itís a few women mixed in with low tier men, that appeal is largely gone. And you cannot have professional sports without spectators supporting it.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:18 AM   #493
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Someone's feelings matter until they have real effects, then logic and reason are to be used.

Sport isn't generally to make people feel better at competitive levels, it's to make money, no team is going to pick worse players to be nice. No one is going to want to watch that team, and they will lose they will not make money and fold.

And if law were instituted in the MLB nhl etc. Teams would simply pull out and form new leagues, as people would be less willing to watch a sport with less skilled players.
I am not following.

There already is the picking and watching of worse players - it's women's sports.

And no, most sport is not about making money. That's the 1% of professional elite athletes.

Here is an example of a transwoman playing competitive sport with women at a very non-elite level... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/47438175

Do you think they should be stopped? Do you feel they are muscling in on a woman's space?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:21 AM   #494
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Not compared to men's sport by any means.

Do you understand the concept of a 'ringer" ? Trans women would effectively be ringers in any female league.
Not necessarily and even if that is the case then I don't think the solution is simply to cling to the way things have always been done in the past by excluding transwomen and branding them 'not women'.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:21 AM   #495
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I am not following.

There already is the picking and watching of worse players - it's women's sports.
Except that women's sports only include women, ensuring that women can compete and win. If you just throw in different skill categories, men will dominate all of them, except the very lowest ones. If that's OK with you, fine, but I think it wouldn't be ok with female competitors.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:27 AM   #496
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It does well because itís women, and a lot of spectators specifically want to see women. But if itís a few women mixed in with low tier men, that appeal is largely gone. And you cannot have professional sports without spectators supporting it.
'I would pay to watch a sportsperson if they have a vagina but if they are equally good and have a penis I wouldn't' seems an odd logic though, don't you think?

It also seems as if we have contradictory theories working here. If pro sports is about revenue and people prefer to watch women than low-tier men then what incentive would there be for teams to recruit low-tier men over women?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:34 AM   #497
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Except that women's sports only include women, ensuring that women can compete and win. If you just throw in different skill categories, men will dominate all of them, except the very lowest ones. If that's OK with you, fine, but I think it wouldn't be ok with female competitors.
Well then we are arguing a different thing. This is now about creating a competitive category where people don't necessarily dominate because of a biological advantage. That's not about whether the participant is male or female though.

Although we should be honest and admit that pretty much all sports have an element of biological advantage and the male/female split is somewhat arbitrary because we as a society have decided that it is important for women to have an opportunity to be the best woman in sports.

As far as I know there isn't a baseball league for people under 6'. And we should acknowledge that while the top 1% of most sports don't include women, they don't include 99% of men either.

Someone mentioned Serena Williams earlier and how as a woman she was selected and promoted and able to succeed in the category. Lucky for her she wasn't born trans then? She would have been excluded from competing. And probably lucky for her she wasn't born a cis-man because chances are she would have been nothing special.

It's perfectly OK to say 'transwomen entering sport is going to throw up some interesting questions and challenges and we should look at how we best incorporate these new paradigms into our sports because we don't want to destroy the sport' but the title of this thread is just repeating a tired old nonsense and excluding transwomen from competing in sports is not the answer.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:37 AM   #498
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Well then we are arguing a different thing. This is now about creating a competitive category where people don't necessarily dominate because of a biological advantage. That's not about whether the participant is male or female though.
I don't follow. The entire thread is about being male or female.

The point is that the current categories ensure that women can compete and win. The proposed solution would break that.

Quote:
Although we should be honest and admit that pretty much all sports have an element of biological advantage and the male/female split is somewhat arbitrary because we as a society have decided that it is important for women to have an opportunity to be the best woman in sports.
Isn't it important for women to feel like they can compete and succeed?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:41 AM   #499
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 43,261
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
'I would pay to watch a sportsperson if they have a vagina but if they are equally good and have a penis I wouldn't' seems an odd logic though, don't you think?
Whether it's logical or not is irrelevant, it's what actually happens. People pay more money to see Serena Williams than they do to see Tomislav Brkic.

Quote:
It also seems as if we have contradictory theories working here. If pro sports is about revenue and people prefer to watch women than low-tier men then what incentive would there be for teams to recruit low-tier men over women?
Because people also like competitive matches, and they like winners. An all-women's team that always loses to men isn't going to be a draw, not even for viewers who want to watch women.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:45 AM   #500
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,625
Here's something I didn't know (probably not really relevant to this discussion, but interesting nonetheless).

From 1968 until 1992 the Olympic skeet shooting event was open to men and women. Then in 1992 it was actually won by a woman.

So what happened at the next Olympics? It was made men-only.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:48 AM   #501
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Here's something I didn't know (probably not really relevant to this discussion, but interesting nonetheless).

From 1968 until 1992 the Olympic skeet shooting event was open to men and women. Then in 1992 it was actually won by a woman.

So what happened at the next Olympics? It was made men-only.
Those evil men!
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:02 AM   #502
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't follow. The entire thread is about being male or female.
But your objection wasn't. Your objection was about being able to define categories where there can be genuine competition regardless of biological advantage

Quote:
The point is that the current categories ensure that women can compete and win. The proposed solution would break that.
No, the current categories ensure SOME women can compete and win, other women can't and yet other women are told they aren't women at all and aren't even allowed to play.

If the proposed solution would be worse (and to be honest I haven't seen an actual proposed solution) then we need a different solution. But let's not pretend that what we have is perfect.

Quote:
Isn't it important for women to feel like they can compete and succeed?
I don't know. I never felt like I could compete and succeed in sport, did I miss out on something important because of biological disadvantage? And what does compete and succeed even really mean?

Competing and succeeding vs people who are generally just as good/bad as you? Or competing and succeeding as the best in the world?

Because the vast majority of women can't compete and succeed with the best women in the world anyway and never could for a multitude of reasons.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:05 AM   #503
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
But your objection wasn't. Your objection was about being able to define categories where there can be genuine competition regardless of biological advantage
I would argue that it includes biological advantage, but ok.

Quote:
No, the current categories ensure SOME women can compete and win, other women can't and yet other women are told they aren't women at all and aren't even allowed to play.
That's a useless nitpick, again. That's true for ALL competitions, everywhere.

Quote:
If the proposed solution would be worse (and to be honest I haven't seen an actual proposed solution) then we need a different solution. But let's not pretend that what we have is perfect.
No one made that pretense, so what are you arguing, here?

Quote:
I don't know. I never felt like I could compete and succeed in sport, did I miss out on something important because of biological disadvantage? And what does compete and succeed even really mean?
Think of it differently: what if you were excluded not because of your skill, but your gender, hair colour, address or political leanings?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:08 AM   #504
Matthew Best
Philosopher
 
Matthew Best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Leicester Square, London
Posts: 6,625
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Those evil men!
I suppose some people might think that.

Others may just have the reaction: (sigh), same as it ever was....
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:12 AM   #505
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I suppose some people might think that.

Others may just have the reaction: (sigh), same as it ever was....
Well, my point was, given how little information you gave, it's not easy to draw a rational conclusion. Sure, the post was written in a way that it 'leads' to a specific conclusion, but is it the correct one?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:12 AM   #506
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Whether it's logical or not is irrelevant, it's what actually happens. People pay more money to see Serena Williams than they do to see Tomislav Brkic.
Cool, then let transgender women compete in the women's category as women.


Quote:
Because people also like competitive matches, and they like winners. An all-women's team that always loses to men isn't going to be a draw, not even for viewers who want to watch women.
Then don't put together a competition that involves all-women's teams competing and losing with all-men teams. There are already transwomen competing in some sports and they haven't been destroyed. It seems the argument is that its OK for transwomen to compete in sports as long as they don't get too good and win all the time?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:13 AM   #507
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Cool, then let transgender women compete in the women's category as women.
How does that follow? In theory trans women are going to dominate cis women just as (but not as much as) men would.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:31 AM   #508
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,126
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
It seems the argument is that its OK for transwomen to compete in sports as long as they don't get too good and win all the time?
No the argument is not sticking our heads in the sand and pretending that a bunch of biological men who identify as a women dominating biological women is going to be seen as fair.

The elephant in the room is pretty much jumping up and down screaming LOOKIT ME! LOOKIT ME! at this point.

We can't create a viable, sustainable system in areas of physical competitiveness that creates the illusion that biological females can compete with biological males consistently in most areas.

And that's what people are demanding we create, or at the very least never being happy with any system that isn't that.

They don't us to put a woman (cis or trans) against a man (cis or trans.) They want us to put a woman against a man and somehow just magically make it fair without given the woman any advantage which... just... isn't... possible. I'm sorry, biology is sexist sometimes.

If you put Katie Hidna on the gridiron with Refrigerator Perry, she's going to lose. If you put Ronda Rousey in the Octagon with Frank Mir, she is going to lose. If put on Lisa Leslie on the court with Shaq, she is going to lose.

What people want is for us to somehow make a world where that's just magically not true.

And Hidna, Rousey, and Leslie are all amazing athletes that deserve all the respect they get and more. I'm not taking anything away from them.

But we can't keep throwing different versions of what's supposed to be "fair" against the wall until we get to one that handicaps the men so the women can win but doesn't look like that's what it's doing so the women don't feel cheated out of their win. Because nothing's ever gonna stick to that wall. Because of reality.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th March 2019 at 07:41 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:39 AM   #509
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How does that follow? In theory trans women are going to dominate cis women just as (but not as much as) men would.
People are happy to pay to see Serena Williams dominate every other woman so what's the difference?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:43 AM   #510
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
People are happy to pay to see Serena Williams dominate every other woman so what's the difference?
Are you playing games, here? Do you really not understand why women's sports exist? If what you say is true, there would be no segregation in sports, so clearly you're wrong, and people do care.

So could you either make an actual argument and stop pretending not to understand the basics of the discussion?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:44 AM   #511
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No the argument is not sticking our heads in the sand and pretending that a bunch of biological men who identify as a women dominating biological women is going to be seen as fair.

The elephant in the room is pretty much jumping up and down screaming LOOKIT ME! LOOKIT ME! at this point.

We can't create a viable, sustainable system in areas of physical competitiveness that creates the illusion that biological females can compete with biological males in consistently in most areas.

And that's what people are demanding we create, or at the very least never being happy with any system that isn't that.

They don't us to put a woman (cis or trans) against a man (cis or trans.) They want us to put a woman against a man and somehow just magically make it fair without given the woman any advantage which... just... isn't... possible. I'm sorry, biological is sexist sometimes.

If you put Katie Hidna on the gridiron with Refrigerator Perry, she's going to lose. If you put Ronda Rousey in the Octagon with Frank Mir, she is going to lose. If put on Lisa Leslie on the court with Shaq, she is going to lose.

What people want is for us to somehow make a world where that's just magically not true.

And Hidna, Rousey, and Leslie are all amazing athletes that deserve all the respect they get and more. I'm not taking anything away from them.

But we can't keep throwing different versions of what's supposed to be "fair" against the wall until we get to one that handicaps the men so the women can win but doesn't look like that's what it's doing so the women don't feel cheated out of their win. Because nothing's ever gonna stick to that wall. Because of reality.
And you can't just exclude one group of women from competing in sport to pretend that the status quo is fine. So if that's your answer then you have to go back to the drawing board.

Nobody seems to care that Serena Williams has completed dominated women's tennis for years but if she had been identified male at birth it would have no doubt been a travesty of fairness.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:45 AM   #512
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
And you can't just exclude one group of women from competing in sport to pretend that the status quo is fine.
Of course you can, just like most men are excluded because that's the whole point.

Seriously, stop it.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:47 AM   #513
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,126
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Nobody seems to care that Serena Williams has completed dominated women's tennis for years but if she had been identified male at birth it would have no doubt been a travesty of fairness.
Yeah she's dominating women's tennis.

What people want is to maintain the illusion that she would dominate men's tennis as well.

If Roger Federer identified as a woman and stepped on the court against Serena Williams, he'd win. That's where the illusion breaks down.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th March 2019 at 08:30 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:55 AM   #514
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Are you playing games, here? Do you really not understand why women's sports exist?
No, I understand. But the question is how to facilitate the participation of other groups of women - namely transwomen - in sport and that may require rethinking things

Quote:
If what you say is true, there would be no segregation in sports, so clearly you're wrong, and people do care.
People care about all sorts of things. Some people care(d) about keeping black people away from their drinking fountains for example. That's not really an argument for anything.

Quote:
So could you either make an actual argument and stop pretending not to understand the basics of the discussion?
Ah, so questioning assumptions is not understanding the basics of discussion?

I think my argument is quite clear - a system which excludes transwomen from competing is not in my opinion justifiable. A different system should be found and in order to achieve that we need to look at things differently and stop relying on the old paradigm as a given.

If it's unfair that the majority of women can't compete with a transwoman in sport then it's just as unfair that they can't compete with Serena Williams. But that is just the nature of sport.

I don't have the solution, and agree that finding one may well be difficult but that's no reason to just give up. And it's certainly no reason to start beating the 'transwomen aren't women' drum.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:03 AM   #515
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 5,891
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah she's dominating women's tennis.

What people want is to maintain the illusion that she would dominate men's tennis as well.
I haven't seen this at all. She wouldn't. Nobody has claimed that.

All I am saying is that Serena Williams has a biological advantage over the average woman which has allowed her to excel in her sport. And if other women have biological advantages over her then it's completely arbitrary that one is OK and the other not. Not to say it's wrong, because sport sets arbitrary rules all the time, but it is still arbitrary.

Quote:
If Roger Federer identified as a woman and stepped on the court as Serena Williams, he'd win. That's where the illusion breaks down.
Well again there isn't an illusion to break. But this is exactly what I was getting at, the assumption that transwomen are or will be acting in bad faith.

A question, what of Roger Federer actually was trans? And decided at age 16 he wanted to compete in women's tennis. And went on to win just as many titles as Serena Williams has won. Would that be a terrible thing?
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:07 AM   #516
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,126
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I haven't seen this at all. She wouldn't. Nobody has claimed that.
Because we're completely in "Nobody's saying... they're just saying" territory.

No nobody's actual gonna say that because it's... provably and demonstrably wrong but all the places we are being told we have to end up require it to be true.

It's not about what you or I think about where the male/female line is exactly drawn. It's, yet again, about understanding that if we accept we can't please everyone you HAVE to give me a reason why (g)you should be the one I choose to please.

We let biological men who identify as women into women's sports and they are going to dominate them. Again I can't say words that will make that not true by adjusting the labeling of the parts or by rearranging how we organize the pieces.

Your version of how we should do things would result in a Biological Men who Identify as Men League and a Biological Men who Identify as Women League. I don't care if YOU aren't bothered by that, hell I'm really not either. Just nod your head if you understand that SOME people will be. It will be seen by SOME people has men taking over women's sports and leaving the "real women" nowhere to go. And I have no reason to make you happy over them since both arguments are based on some variation of "you're being unfair / you're being a bigot" so I'm the bad guy either way.
__________________
- "Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset
- "Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
- "To the best of my knowledge the only thing philosophy has ever proven is that Descartes could think." - SMBC

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th March 2019 at 08:13 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:10 AM   #517
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,312
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
No, I understand.
So I gathered, but it does raise the issue of why you pretended not to.

Quote:
But the question is how to facilitate the participation of other groups of women - namely transwomen
Here's the thing: sports aren't segregated by gender, but by biological sex. Trans women are not a group of female.

Quote:
People care about all sorts of things. Some people care(d) about keeping black people away from their drinking fountains for example. That's not really an argument for anything.
It is because it drives the market. There is a demand for women's sports, and reorganising it would drive them out of competitions.

Quote:
I think my argument is quite clear - a system which excludes transwomen from competing is not in my opinion justifiable. A different system should be found and in order to achieve that we need to look at things differently and stop relying on the old paradigm as a given.
The system in place excludes 0.3% of women, in addition to those who don't qualify. The system proposed would exclude a much larger percentage, at the benefit of a larger percentage of those 0.3% than that of those women who don't qualify. Is that supposed to be a win?

Quote:
If it's unfair that the majority of women can't compete with a transwoman in sport then it's just as unfair that they can't compete with Serena Williams.
See, that's what I mean when I say you don't understand the basics. The reason why most women can't compete with Williams is a matter of skill. The reason why almost no woman can compete with a trans woman is because the latter is male, and has an unfair biological advantage before you even take skill into consideration.

But go ahead, exclude women in sports and see what happens. You think most women can't compete with Williams? NO woman can compete with Roger Federer. None.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:18 AM   #518
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I am not following.

There already is the picking and watching of worse players - it's women's sports.

And no, most sport is not about making money. That's the 1% of professional elite athletes.

Here is an example of a transwoman playing competitive sport with women at a very non-elite level... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/47438175

Do you think they should be stopped? Do you feel they are muscling in on a woman's space?
Very much so, competition is about competing, not making everyone feel good. These people have a distinct advantage within the female class.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:19 AM   #519
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Not necessarily and even if that is the case then I don't think the solution is simply to cling to the way things have always been done in the past by excluding transwomen and branding them 'not women'.
Sports point is not to decide who is what sex, it is fair competition. You might as well say tampons should change design because they remind trans people they are different.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:24 AM   #520
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,647
Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
And you can't just exclude one group of women from competing in sport to pretend that the status quo is fine. So if that's your answer then you have to go back to the drawing board.

Nobody seems to care that Serena Williams has completed dominated women's tennis for years but if she had been identified male at birth it would have no doubt been a travesty of fairness.
They would complain if John mackinrow (sp?) Joined the league and beat her. Because he was born with many advantages due to his biology.

(Sorry if he actually sucks but it's the only tennis guy I've heard of. Not a big sports fan. Replace him with the best gutyif the analogy makes no sense. )
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.