ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand incidents , transgender incidents , transgender issues

Closed Thread
Old 13th December 2017, 04:00 AM   #201
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Not long ago another woman was charged with rape because she presented herself as a man https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...sUwjZf&ampcf=1

This is similar what Caitlyn states she did. Acted like a man even though she knew she was a woman. Hell she was so into pretending she was a man she impregnated her wife. Thats dedication. Why does she get special treatment and the other girl gets scorn and 6 years prison?
Seriously struggling to get your point, but I am guessing the publicity hungry one on TV's missus didn't press any charges or make a complaint like the weirdly gullible blindfolded chick did
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 04:10 AM   #202
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Forgot to say it wasn't rape she got done for by the way

It's like the thread on the dude in California

It wasn't the genitals. So sexual assault by penetration.

The publicity seeking one hypothetically would be rape
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 04:55 AM   #203
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Forgot to say it wasn't rape she got done for by the way

It's like the thread on the dude in California

It wasn't the genitals. So sexual assault by penetration.

The publicity seeking one hypothetically would be rape
Oh yeah it was sexual assault. Yuuuuge difference. I forgot that apparently only men or women with organic functional penises can rape. How discriminatory.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 05:12 AM   #204
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Not long ago another woman was charged with rape because she presented herself as a man https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...sUwjZf&ampcf=1

This is similar what Caitlyn states she did. Acted like a man even though she knew she was a woman. Hell she was so into pretending she was a man she impregnated her wife. Thats dedication. Why does she get special treatment and the other girl gets scorn and 6 years prison?
Probably because the situations are totally different?
Old 13th December 2017, 05:18 AM   #205
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Probably because the situations are totally different?
How so? two women for various reasons decided to trick other women into sleeping with them by pretending to be male. Caitlyn admitted she knew she was a female. But she lied, and is now making even more money off coming clean, whilst the other chick is in prison. It seems one rule for celebrities and atheletes and one rule for everyone else.

Last edited by Hungry81; 13th December 2017 at 05:20 AM.
Hungry81 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 05:31 AM   #206
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

How so? two women for various reasons decided to trick other women into sleeping with them by pretending to be male. Caitlyn admitted she knew she was a female. But she lied, and is now making even more money off coming clean, whilst the other chick is in prison. It seems one rule for celebrities and atheletes and one rule for everyone else.
Er right...... ?????
Old 13th December 2017, 09:22 PM   #207
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh yeah it was sexual assault. Yuuuuge difference. I forgot that apparently only men or women with organic functional penises can rape. How discriminatory.
You should write a strongly worded letter to the ones that decided the rules

Old 15th December 2017, 06:56 PM   #208
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
In sports, the main reason why men and women compete separately is that men, due to differences in hormonal mix and development, quite simply grow stronger muscles, and on average also grow taller, than women. It's a matter of biological, physiological sporting fairness.

So I can see, and actually support, that transgender folks who are treated as women socially are still treated as men athletically, if they (still) have the male mix of testosterone, size, muscles etc.

Or else, next thing we have a boxer claiming to be a feather weight trapped in a heavy weight body!
I have not read a single other post in this thread. I am curious how than there can be more to say on this issue. There must be because at this point the thread is several pages long, but what the heck is everybody else talking about that wasn't covered by Oystein's post. I'm going to go look now.

Perfection is the enemy of good enough -- Russian proverb
davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 07:19 PM   #209
davefoc
Philosopher

A few of the posts that seemed interesting to me:

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
At the top professional and amatuer levels wouldn't they have to undergo blood tests for drug use? What about having a rule that any "sex" hormone can't be used?
I thought this idea was pretty good until I thought about this:

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
The drugs trans women use would hamper performance, not enhance it. Why would they disallow those drugs?
And so what if they didn't allow them, if the athlete wants to win why take drugs that might reduce their chances?

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Bruce Jenner is the perfect example. Not only did he not have the surgery, he continues to have sex with women. Using his penis. Just dressing in womens clothes is not enough to make someone into a woman, at least by my definition.
I didn't know this. How did what Bruce Jenner does with his penis become public knowledge and who has he had sex with since he started identifying himself as a woman?

davefoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 09:01 PM   #210
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by davefoc View Post

I didn't know this. How did what Bruce Jenner does with his penis become public knowledge and who has he had sex with since he started identifying himself as a woman?
I'm not sure of the answers so I just went looking around and discovered that Jenner had the surgery in January. To me this demonstrates a commitment. I will now call her "she" , a pronoun that I reserve the right not to call someone if they are merely dressing in female clothes. She says that she will have female companions but will no longer have sex with women since the surgery.

ETA: She is too old to be an athlete now, but if she was young enough, I really doubt any genetic women would want to compete against her. For starters, she is 6' 2", 194 pounds and wears a size 13 shoe.

Last edited by Marcus; 15th December 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2017, 11:55 PM   #211
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

And so what if they didn't allow them, if the athlete wants to win why take drugs that might reduce their chances?
Exactly.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2017, 01:58 AM   #212
davefoc
Philosopher

I couldn't imagine what there was to say about this issue beyond what Oystein said in the third post of this thread. How could I have not thought of this. Of course Caitlyn could be charged with rape when he impregnated his wife pretending to be a man. I guess we can look to see charges being brought any day now.

Old 16th December 2017, 11:55 AM   #213
mgidm86
Philosopher

I couldn't imagine what there was to say about this issue beyond what Oystein said in the third post of this thread. How could I have not thought of this. Of course Caitlyn could be charged with rape when he impregnated his wife pretending to be a man. I guess we can look to see charges being brought any day now.
Lawd take me now! This world has gone insane! Everything that needs to be said about this was said in the thread title.
Old 16th December 2017, 05:40 PM   #214
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I will now call her "she" , a pronoun that I reserve the right not to call someone if they are merely dressing in female clothes.
Do you demand inspections of the genitals of everyone you meet in order to preserve this 'right'? If you don't, then a selective application makes it not a right and instead a weapon you level at people who don't meet your standards.
Old 16th December 2017, 05:48 PM   #215
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Do you demand inspections of the genitals of everyone you meet in order to preserve this 'right'? If you don't, then a selective application makes it not a right and instead a weapon you level at people who don't meet your standards.
Nomenclature isn't the issue here. They can call themselves Shirley Temple Tinkerbelle for all I care, and I'll gladly use whichever pronoun they like.

The issue is whether blokes in dresses - which is what many of them are - are helping or harming women with a uterus.

For starters, it's a given that no trans woman is ever going to get uterine, cervical or ovarian cancer. They're not going to have menopause, and they absolutely are not going to get pregnant.
Old 17th December 2017, 12:16 AM   #216
Silly Green Monkey

I'm not sure of the answers so I just went looking around and discovered that Jenner had the surgery in January. To me this demonstrates a commitment. I will now call her "she" , a pronoun that I reserve the right not to call someone if they are merely dressing in female clothes. She says that she will have female companions but will no longer have sex with women since the surgery.

ETA: She is too old to be an athlete now, but if she was young enough, I really doubt any genetic women would want to compete against her. For starters, she is 6' 2", 194 pounds and wears a size 13 shoe.
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Nomenclature isn't the issue here. They can call themselves Shirley Temple Tinkerbelle for all I care, and I'll gladly use whichever pronoun they like.

The issue is whether blokes in dresses - which is what many of them are - are helping or harming women with a uterus.

For starters, it's a given that no trans woman is ever going to get uterine, cervical or ovarian cancer. They're not going to have menopause, and they absolutely are not going to get pregnant.
Relevance to Marcus dictating what a person can call themselves based on his knowing what their genitals look like?
Old 17th December 2017, 12:35 AM   #217
Hungry81
Master Poster

Relevance to Marcus dictating what a person can call themselves based on his knowing what their genitals look like?
Thats a nice straw Xe. Where does Marcus dictate what a person can call themselves? He specifies conditions as to whether he would consider someone male or female based upon the status of their genitalia.
Old 17th December 2017, 07:00 AM   #218
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Thats a nice straw Xe. Where does Marcus dictate what a person can call themselves? He specifies conditions as to whether he would consider someone male or female based upon the status of their genitalia.
No, she specifically says she'll not call someone their gender until they have surgery to make their genitals match in the moronic belief that she'll know in every or even most cases.

As thought, this thread for some is just a thinly veiled excuse for people who have issues with transgender people to rationalize their issues. This not only disrespects transgender people obviously, but disrespects the subject they are just using as a cudgel and those who might actually care about sports issues.

EDIT: Damnit, I got my posters confused. As far as I know Marcus isn't a 'she', but then again I haven't heard of any surgery so how should I know?

Last edited by tyr_13; 17th December 2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: stupid oversight
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 08:09 AM   #219
Marcus
Illuminator

There you go. It seems some are very insistent on dictating which pronouns I am allowed to use. Not going to happen. Before Bruce Jenner had his surgery, he and I had different opinions on which pronouns were appropriate. I don't think he noticed. If Caitlin Jenner enjoys hearing the female pronouns used, I'm sure she hears more now. There is a difference between her and a dude in a dress.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2017, 08:28 AM   #220
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
No, she specifically says she'll not call someone their gender until they have surgery to make their genitals match in the moronic belief that she'll know in every or even most cases.

As thought, this thread for some is just a thinly veiled excuse for people who have issues with transgender people to rationalize their issues. This not only disrespects transgender people obviously, but disrespects the subject they are just using as a cudgel and those who might actually care about sports issues.

EDIT: Damnit, I got my posters confused. As far as I know Marcus isn't a 'she', but then again I haven't heard of any surgery so how should I know?
You may make your own decision on what gender you think I am based on the best information you have available. Unfortunately , unlike Jenner, I don't have numerous interviews, and even an autobiography, upon which to base your conclusions.
Old 17th December 2017, 04:48 PM   #221
Silly Green Monkey

There you go. It seems some are very insistent on dictating which pronouns I am allowed to use. Not going to happen.
No, you are demanding a right to dictate what pronouns others may use for themselves, based on their proving themselves to you. You are quite right that your personal feelings mattered nothing to Jenner. They also matter nothing to every single other human being in existence. Just as I don't get to decide your gender, you don't get to decide anyone else's but your own.
Old 17th December 2017, 10:41 PM   #222
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, you are demanding a right to dictate what pronouns others may use for themselves, based on their proving themselves to you. You are quite right that your personal feelings mattered nothing to Jenner. They also matter nothing to every single other human being in existence. Just as I don't get to decide your gender, you don't get to decide anyone else's but your own.
Kind of think that is a bit scew wiff there

In normal every day life

People can chose to call themselves whatever they want. But this doesn't mean other people can't chose to disagree the person and ignore what they wish to be called.

Personally go with the person normally.

The other problem that might come up is without some sort of guide some people are bound to get it wrong which gets a bit ugly.

Maybe we should all have badges.....We could have different shades of a rainbow spectrum for every one and we could have graphs at primary school to learn it along side maths.

But then someone will say none of the colours truly suit "them"

With womens sport

If you were born a dude and spent most of your life a dude you have an advantage. Bad luck

Last edited by cullennz; 17th December 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 18th December 2017, 01:48 AM   #223
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

He isn't demanding to dictate what pronouns others may use for themselves. He is demanding to dictate what pronouns he uses for others.

In the general case the latter is still a dick move, but those two things are certainly different.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 02:12 AM   #224
Worm
Master Poster

I'm actually intrigued by the idea that we still live in a world where "women's clothes" is still a thing.

Initially I thought it was just an issue for this discussion, but even a moments thought leads me to realised that (certainly in the western world, in my experience) clothes are specifically marketed as 'mens' and 'womens'.

Not to derail - it just struck me as interesting.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 02:27 AM   #225
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I'm actually intrigued by the idea that we still live in a world where "women's clothes" is still a thing.

Initially I thought it was just an issue for this discussion, but even a moments thought leads me to realised that (certainly in the western world, in my experience) clothes are specifically marketed as 'mens' and 'womens'.

As a man who has tights that he bought for Victoria's Secret (and loves them) I agree that it's weird. I've actually had a lot of guys ask me where I got those pants and they always get an embarrassed look on their face when I tell them.
Isaac Asimov
Old 18th December 2017, 02:48 AM   #226
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

As a man who has tights that he bought for Victoria's Secret (and loves them) I agree that it's weird. I've actually had a lot of guys ask me where I got those pants and they always get an embarrassed look on their face when I tell them.
Tights or pants?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 03:29 AM   #227
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Tights or pants?
Both I guess; yoga pants. You can see me wearing another pair in my avatar. Those ones aren't Victoria's Secret, but they are a women's line. I think Hard Tail maybe.

I don't actually wear them on the street, but I do wear them when I'm doing yoga.
Isaac Asimov
Old 18th December 2017, 03:58 AM   #228
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It's almost as if there are different sexes

Take me

I myself chose not to wear a bra.

I thought it was because I didn't have tits.

But maybe it isn't. Maybe I am just a victim of stereotype

Last edited by cullennz; 18th December 2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 18th December 2017, 04:09 AM   #229
dann
Philosopher

I myself chose not to wear a bra.

I thought it was because I didn't have tits.

That would be a very good reason for not wearing one!
But it doesn't explain the embarrassment or revulsion that men feel at the very idea!

I've actually had a lot of guys ask me where I got those pants and they always get an embarrassed look on their face when I tell them.

I mentioned a similar thing in the Kevin Spacey thread recently:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1#post12067791
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 04:27 AM   #230
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Both I guess; yoga pants. You can see me wearing another pair in my avatar. Those ones aren't Victoria's Secret, but they are a women's line. I think Hard Tail maybe.

I don't actually wear them on the street, but I do wear them when I'm doing yoga.
It all makes perfect sense now.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 04:29 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

So what does make someone a man or a woman? Is the claim enough?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 04:31 AM   #232
Belz...
Fiend God

No, you are demanding a right to dictate what pronouns others may use for themselves, based on their proving themselves to you.
Well, yeah. Typically people will label or categorise others based on their appearance or actions, not based on what's in their heads. Why would it be different with gender?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 08:37 AM   #233
Marcus
Illuminator

With womens sport

If you were born a dude and spent most of your life a dude you have an advantage. Bad luck
Yes. If you are Caitlin Jenner, you have a body that you don't get by growing up female, even if the male hormones are now lacking. Sure, there are taller women, I've seen college womens basketball players as tall as 6' 6", but the structure is not the same.
Old 18th December 2017, 04:20 PM   #234
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

You may make your own decision on what gender you think I am based on the best information you have available. Unfortunately , unlike Jenner, I don't have numerous interviews, and even an autobiography, upon which to base your conclusions.
Ah, 'based on the best information you have available'. That's actually an excellent standard!

The problem is you're simply using invalid criteria, and the best information we have available on gender does not agree with your position on 'only a she if post op' opinion. See the below link.

Oh you're 'allowed' to use the wrong pronouns if you really want (besides in some specific cases and it can add evidence to charges of harassment), but everyone around you is allowed to think less of you for it. They're even allowed to call you out for it and disagree. What you call 'not being allowed' is really just thus far been 'people disagreeing'.

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So what does make someone a man or a woman? Is the claim enough?
Do you think that Marcus can know if any given person has had surgery to alter their genitals? The answer to your question doesn't actually validate the claim I was arguing against.

But here is that link again from the last time this dance happened. The claim is enough for the vast majorities of interactions. You accept the claim already for the overwhelming majorities of interactions. What do you believe you base it off of?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th December 2017, 04:24 PM   #235
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I've often summed up my thinking on that as 'I don't want to wear women's clothes; I want there to be acceptable men's dresses.' Anything to get to wear yokata more often really.

Women's clothes, for all their other issues, have far greater variety of cut, color, style, and fit over every social situation. I use women's leggings because they're cheaper, nicer, and more common than men's (I mostly use them as thermals or around the house, but they work for yoga and martial arts too).
Old 18th December 2017, 11:50 PM   #236
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

...I want there to be acceptable men's dresses.' ...
There have been for some time. Kilts - ok, they're skirts, but all the same to me - and kaftans have been around for a year or two. Even Homer Simpson wore a kaftan. Pasifika men wear skirts as well as traditional dress.

The Houyhnhnms couldn't work clothes out 300 years ago, so it's not an easy question.
Old 19th December 2017, 02:02 AM   #237
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
There have been for some time. Kilts - ok, they're skirts, but all the same to me - and kaftans have been around for a year or two. Even Homer Simpson wore a kaftan. Pasifika men wear skirts as well as traditional dress.

The Houyhnhnms couldn't work clothes out 300 years ago, so it's not an easy question.
And the pope and priests wear dresses

They try to butch it up by calling them robes, but they're not fooling any one

Old 19th December 2017, 02:22 AM   #238
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

I have not read a single other post in this thread. I am curious how than there can be more to say on this issue. There must be because at this point the thread is several pages long, but what the heck is everybody else talking about that wasn't covered by Oystein's post. I'm going to go look now.
Indeed.

I'm catching-up. Men are not identical to women? Is that about right?
Old 19th December 2017, 04:32 PM   #239
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Indeed.

Men are better than women at some absolute tests of physical strength.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th December 2017, 04:42 PM   #240
davefoc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Indeed.

Well yes, but then there was the part about Caitlyn Jenner being subject to a rape charge because she lied to her wife when she impregnated her.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events