ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags World War II history

Old 17th May 2019, 09:13 PM   #1
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

D-Day footage. Who were those guys?

The 75th anniversary of D-Day is coming up. We will no doubt be treated to lots of retrospectives, a note that there aren't very many survivors left, and lots and lots of photos and videos that were shot on June 6, 1944.

There's one scene I've seen at least a hundred times. The camera looks back toward the water. A small group of men, five or six, are running ashore. One suddenly falls to his knees, and looks to be struggling. One more falls down flat, face down. He doesn't look to be struggling at all. The remaining three head out of camera view.

Again and again, it happens the same way. That one will be wounded. That one will be killed. And you know it's coming on every documentary. I have seen a lot of those documentaries. It's always there. The same guys get hit every time. The reason it is shown is that it must be some of the only footage filmed from the beach looking out toward the water while the bullets were still flying. I'm sure some of you have seen it too.

I've always wondered if anyone knows anything about the people in the film, or the cameraman who filmed it. I'll bet the cameraman is known. I'm sure he could locate where he was on the beach. I doubt the men are known, although at least their unit might be, and even the men themselves could possibly have been indentified.

Who were these guys, these guys who I will undoubtedly see several more times in the next month or so?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:13 AM   #2
BillC
Bazooka Joe

First, are we talking about this footage?
https://youtu.be/z3AjcQZg_DM?t=62
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:39 AM   #3
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
From comments:
“Slapping your watermark on historical footage you ripped from others. Classy.“
Old 18th May 2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
Yes. That's it.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I do not know who the guys are, but IIRC (and you can't see it because the watermark is in the way) but out floundering in the surf is the only Sherman DD tank to make it onto Omaha Beach.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:13 AM   #6
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I do not know who the guys are, but IIRC (and you can't see it because the watermark is in the way) but out floundering in the surf is the only Sherman DD tank to make it onto Omaha Beach.
Are you sure?

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/omaha-beach.69555/
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Drewbot
Philosopher

Those look like British helmets. Although the guys in the foreground look like American helmets.

Also the obstacles don't look like your typical Omaha obstacles.

Last edited by Drewbot; 23rd May 2019 at 12:54 PM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:18 PM   #8
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Not to derail, but having lots of hands on experience with MG-34's and 42's I'm amazed how many Allied troops made it ashore.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
IIRC, it was from a documentary about the fate of the D-Day DD tanks on Omaha Beach but I couldn't find it (so I added the IIRC). It may not be the footage that is the OP is referring to but in the doc, IIRC, there exists some film footage of a DD tank in the back ground. And that tank eventually landed on Omaha (successfully).
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts