ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 24th April 2019, 09:56 AM   #481
The_Animus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
This is not "what the GOP has come to". This is what Matt Shea has come to.
Hopefully people will see this nasty piece of work for what he is, as several people have already done, and he will no longer be able to represent anyone publicly again.

My peeve, of course, is painting a large group with the actions of one person in that group. It's just not fair or accurate, and I think you know that, and there are plenty of GOP members who would view this behaviour of his just as dimly we you do.
Has the GOP called for him to resign? How about a public statement condemning his actions?
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 10:17 AM   #482
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet Matt Shea has been elected (and supposedly re-elected), supposedly through the support of GOP voters, despite his hypocrisy (being against divorce while being divorced), reports of physical abuse against his ex-wife, pulling a gun on another motorist and has held anti-gay policies for many years. So even before the latest reports of nuttery, it was obvious that Shea was a problem. Yet GOP voters kept voting for him, and the party leadership seemed to have no problem with him.
Quote:
My peeve, of course, is painting a large group with the actions of one person in that group.
If it were just some fringe GOP follower with no political power who was expressing bigoted views it would be fair to dismiss them as not representative of the party as a whole. But it becomes harder to dismiss the actions of that "one person in that group" when they happen to be an individual with actual political power, who has regularly been re-elected despite some rather distasteful history.

It should also be noted that republican support for Trump as a whole remains high, despite the fact that he called neo-nazis "fine people" and locked children in cages. I find it difficult to believe that people would both approve of the racism of Trump yet somehow think Shea has overstepped the line.
Quote:
It's just not fair or accurate, and I think you know that, and there are plenty of GOP members who would view this behaviour of his just as dimly we you do.
Define "Plenty" of GOP members. Are those that reject his racism in the majority? A significant minority? Evenly split?

Trump has ~80-90% approval ratings among Republicans. Does that mean that the 20% minority who disapprove of him constitute "plenty" of GOP members?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 10:38 AM   #483
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Rep. Occasio-Cortez is correct, the VA is not broken, it is doing great. But that is only because of the Trump Administration. We got Veterans Choice & Accountability passed. “President Trump deserves a lot of credit.” Dan Caldwell, Concerned Veterans of America
You're claiming credit for the Veterans Choice and Accountability Act of ... 2014?
Someone needs to turn grandpa's TV off.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 10:53 AM   #484
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

He did sign an extension in 2017. Signing his name took a lot of work. It requires a lot of concentration and coordination to scribble with that Sharpie.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:14 AM   #485
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Rep. Occasio-Cortez is correct, the VA is not broken, it is doing great. But that is only because of the Trump Administration. We got Veterans Choice & Accountability passed. “President Trump deserves a lot of credit.” Dan Caldwell, Concerned Veterans of America
He actually deleted that one and posted this instead:

Quote:
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is correct, the VA is not broken, it is doing great. But that is only because of the Trump Administration. We got Veterans Choice & Accountability passed. “President Trump deserves a lot of credit.” Dan Caldwell, Concerned Veterans of America
He added her first name and corrected the spelling of her last name. For a while both Tweets were up which is why I noticed it. I don't know how many comments were there for the first post, but of course they are gone now.

Last edited by alfaniner; 24th April 2019 at 11:16 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:39 AM   #486
Armitage72
Master Poster

Now that I think about it, given that the original legislation was passed during President Obama's term, the fact that he didn't attempt to destroy it is a pretty big accomplishment, for him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 11:45 AM   #487
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Huge if true.

Potentially more damaging than the Mueller report.
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Holy Crap.

I'd love to ask Stacyhs what they hell they have been putting in the water up there in the Pacific NW?
Don't know what you mean:

Quote:
State representative Matt Shea, who represents Spokane Valley in the Washington state house, participated in the chats with three other men. All of the men used screen aliases – Shea’s was “Verum Bellator”, Latin for true warrior. The Guardian confirmed the identity of those in the chat by cross-checking phone numbers attached to the Signal accounts.
Spokane seems to be inhabited by perfectly normal people.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 03:59 PM   #488
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

I didn’t call Bob Costa of the Washington Post, he called me (I Returned his call)! Just more Fake News.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 04:00 PM   #489
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Great State of Tennessee is so close to passing School Choice. All of our Nation’s children, regardless of background, deserve a shot at achieving the American Dream! Time to get this done, so important!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 04:06 PM   #490
Matthew Best
Philosopher

trump Tweets

I didn’t call Bob Costa of the Washington Post, he called me (I Returned his call)! Just more Fake News.
I didn't call him! He called me. Then I called him! Fake news!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 04:27 PM   #491
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

trump Tweets

I want a president that doesn’t sound like a 14-year-old girl.
Old 24th April 2019, 05:10 PM   #492
Venom
Master Poster

Trump is a thin-skinned narcissist.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:38 PM   #493
Belz...
Fiend God

So was Obama, I hear.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:42 PM   #494
Venom
Master Poster

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th April 2019, 05:51 PM   #495
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Don't know what you mean:

Spokane seems to be inhabited by perfectly normal people.
Matt Shea is a gun toting crazy right wing nutcase from a rural area just north of Spokane. He's had run ins with the county sheriff on many occasions.
Old 24th April 2019, 09:22 PM   #496
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

by stonewalling all House Dem's subpoenas, Trump is setting himself up to fail even with his partisan Supreme Court.
Not a clever move.
Old 24th April 2019, 10:11 PM   #497
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
by stonewalling all House Dem's subpoenas, Trump is setting himself up to fail even with his partisan Supreme Court.
Not a clever move.
Does the president have the skills or knowledge to make a move other than telling his lawyers to file papers to stop it?
Old 25th April 2019, 12:20 AM   #498
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Hopefully people will see this nasty piece of work for what he is, as several people have already done, and he will no longer be able to represent anyone publicly again.

My peeve, of course, is painting a large group with the actions of one person in that group. It's just not fair or accurate, and I think you know that, and there are plenty of GOP members who would view this behaviour of his just as dimly we you do.
Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Has the GOP called for him to resign? How about a public statement condemning his actions?
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yet Matt Shea has been elected (and supposedly re-elected), supposedly through the support of GOP voters, despite his hypocrisy (being against divorce while being divorced), reports of physical abuse against his ex-wife, pulling a gun on another motorist and has held anti-gay policies for many years. So even before the latest reports of nuttery, it was obvious that Shea was a problem. Yet GOP voters kept voting for him, and the party leadership seemed to have no problem with him.

If it were just some fringe GOP follower with no political power who was expressing bigoted views it would be fair to dismiss them as not representative of the party as a whole. But it becomes harder to dismiss the actions of that "one person in that group" when they happen to be an individual with actual political power, who has regularly been re-elected despite some rather distasteful history.

It should also be noted that republican support for Trump as a whole remains high, despite the fact that he called neo-nazis "fine people" and locked children in cages. I find it difficult to believe that people would both approve of the racism of Trump yet somehow think Shea has overstepped the line.

Define "Plenty" of GOP members. Are those that reject his racism in the majority? A significant minority? Evenly split?

Trump has ~80-90% approval ratings among Republicans. Does that mean that the 20% minority who disapprove of him constitute "plenty" of GOP members?
What The Animus and Segnosaur said.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:24 AM   #499
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I want a president that doesn’t sound like a 14-year-old girl.
As a former...very former...14 year old girl, I take offense to that.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:33 AM   #500
Venom
Master Poster

Has anyone read or shared this yet?

Trump says he'll turn to Supreme Court if Congress begins impeachment.

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Wednesday said he would turn to the Supreme Court if the House of Representatives moves to impeach him, though it is unclear what role the nation’s highest court could play if the president were to seek its help in such a situation.

“I DID NOTHING WRONG,” Trump said. “If the partisan Dems ever tried to Impeach, I would first head to the U.S. Supreme Court.”
Old 25th April 2019, 12:37 AM   #501
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I've come full circle on Impeachment and start to think it's a bad idea, mostly because it is too good for Trump. He needs to see the inside of a cell.

He ran his campaign in a way no presidential candidate should ever be allowed to, and he runs the White House the same way.
The only saving grace, then and now, is that his people are too stupid or to self-serving to actually do what he tells them to. Congress and the Courts has long determined that they will decide what is actually happening, leaving Trump the Power to Tweet but little else. They can keep that up for another 21 months.

There won't be justice, but at the very least the Trump Legacy needs to be reduced to a pile of ash.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:51 AM   #502
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Deutsche Bank is fully complying with the subpoena from Letitia James, AG of NY, for documentation about Trump's loans.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:52 AM   #503
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Der Trumpenführer gerät in panik

Die Wände schließen sich
Old 25th April 2019, 02:05 AM   #504
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Der Trumpenführer gerät in panik

Die Wände schließen sich
hey, Kavanaugh owes Trump one. Time to collect.
Old 25th April 2019, 02:21 AM   #505
Worm
Master Poster

It's becoming inescapably clear that Trump hasn't read the Constitution that he swore to defend.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 02:26 AM   #506
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
It's becoming inescapably clear that Trump hasn't read the Constitution that he swore to defend anything since grade school.
FTFY
Old 25th April 2019, 03:31 AM   #507
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

“Dear SCOTUS, checks and balances between co-equal branches of government couldn’t possibly be constitutional, could they?”
Old 25th April 2019, 05:17 AM   #508
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Welcome to the race Sleepy Joe. I only hope you have the intelligence, long in doubt, to wage a successful primary campaign. It will be nasty - you will be dealing with people who truly have some very sick & demented ideas. But if you make it, I will see you at the Starting Gate!
Old 25th April 2019, 05:19 AM   #509
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

Welcome to the race Sleepy Joe. I only hope you have the intelligence, long in doubt, to wage a successful primary campaign. It will be nasty - you will be dealing with people who truly have some very sick & demented ideas. But if you make it, I will see you at the Starting Gate!
Classy.

Turn to them for what? They have nothing to do with the process, do they?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 05:56 AM   #510
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
That wasn't him tweeting. No spelling or capitalization mistakes, no attacks, no namecalling. Either it was very much NOT a great meeting and his aides are hiding his phone again, or it was a VERY great meeting and we'll be hearing what it was about in a future impeachment proceeding.
Also, the insertion of the word "from" between "Jack" and "Twitter".
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 06:08 AM   #511
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Classy.

Turn to them for what? They have nothing to do with the process, do they?
They could rule that the impeachment was unconstitutional, couldn't they? There's a majority of Republicans on the bench, so I wouldn't put it past them. If they don't want to be nakedly partisan, they could argue that whatever crimes are in the indictment don't count as "high crimes and misdemeanours".
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 06:11 AM   #512
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
They could rule that the impeachment was unconstitutional, couldn't they? There's a majority of Republicans on the bench, so I wouldn't put it past them. If they don't want to be nakedly partisan, they could argue that whatever crimes are in the indictment don't count as "high crimes and misdemeanours".
No, they couldn't.
Or if they did, Congress could ignore them.

It is entirely up to the House to decide to impeach, and be it only for the high Crime and misdemeanor of wearing a tan jacket.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:20 AM   #513
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It is entirely up to the House to decide to impeach, and be it only for the high Crime and misdemeanor of wearing a tan jacket.
It hinges on what shoes were worn with it.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:25 AM   #514
Belz...
Fiend God

They could rule that the impeachment was unconstitutional, couldn't they? There's a majority of Republicans on the bench, so I wouldn't put it past them.
Impossible. Impeachment is not a law; it's a political process. SCOTUS has no say in it, as far as I know. Trump is an idiot.

Old 25th April 2019, 06:31 AM   #515
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

No, they couldn't.
Or if they did, Congress could ignore them.
Concur. If "Separation of Powers" means anything, it means that neither the Executive Branch nor the Judicial Branch can tell the Legislative Branch what they're allowed to hold hearings on.

If the House wants to hold hearings on impeachment, they can.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:37 AM   #516
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Impossible. Impeachment is not a law; it's a political process. SCOTUS has no say in it, as far as I know. Trump is an idiot.
It is a law. It's in article 2 of the US Constitution.

Quote:
The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
I haven't bothered to look up the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanours" but Trump could argue that whatever the House wants to impeach him for doesn't fall under that definition. If he were correct, then his impeachment would be unconstitutional. How else would you stop Congress from doing something unconstitutional other than by getting SCOTUS to rule on it?
Old 25th April 2019, 06:41 AM   #517
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Concur. If "Separation of Powers" means anything,
What does "checks and balances" mean? How would you apply checks and balances to the legislature if the other two branches are not allowed to interfere to uphold the constitution?
Old 25th April 2019, 06:50 AM   #518
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

It is a law. It's in article 2 of the US Constitution.

I haven't bothered to look up the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanours" but Trump could argue that whatever the House wants to impeach him for doesn't fall under that definition. If he were correct, then his impeachment would be unconstitutional. How else would you stop Congress from doing something unconstitutional other than by getting SCOTUS to rule on it?
You should take a closer look at Article 2, because in Section 2 it goes on to say:

Quote:
The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.
Therefore, House of Representatives deals with the impeachment of a President and not the courts.

Also, in Section 5 of Article 2, the US Constitution says:

Quote:
The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.
Therefore, the only function that the courts have is in the Chief Justice presiding the case in the Senatorial trial.

P.S.: there really is no definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors" because that determination is made by the House of Representatives.
A man's best friend is his dogma.

Last edited by Crossbow; 25th April 2019 at 06:51 AM.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 06:53 AM   #519
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I haven't bothered to look up the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanours"
The constitution does not provide further definition. It's whatever congress decides it is.

Quote:
but Trump could argue that whatever the House wants to impeach him for doesn't fall under that definition. If he were correct, then his impeachment would be unconstitutional.
Trump can argue whatever he wants in front of congress, but the decision is ultimately up to congress.

Quote:
How else would you stop Congress from doing something unconstitutional other than by getting SCOTUS to rule on it?
It's congress' role to oversee the president, and the two houses of congress provide checks on each other. It's not the president's role to oversee congress.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:55 AM   #520
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
The constitution does not provide further definition. It's whatever congress decides it is.

Trump can argue whatever he wants in front of congress, but the decision is ultimately up to congress.

It's congress' role to oversee the president, and the two houses of congress provide checks on each other. It's not the president's role to oversee congress.
Can they impeach him for not obstructing justice? What if the reason given is he explicitly did not break the law and it is Congress's wish that he had broken the law, and are punishing him for not breaking it?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics