ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 06:56 AM   #521
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
What does "checks and balances" mean? How would you apply checks and balances to the legislature if the other two branches are not allowed to interfere to uphold the constitution?
First, the two houses of congress provide checks on each other. Second, on most matters, the courts can declare legislation unconstitutional and the president can veto bills (subject to congressional override, of course).

But as far as I can tell, there's no constitutional limit to congress' ability to impeach the president, so what checks and balances would be needed to uphold the constitution in such a case?
Old 25th April 2019, 06:59 AM   #522
dasmiller

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Can they impeach him for not obstructing justice? What if the reason given is he explicitly did not break the law and it is Congress's wish that he had broken the law, and are punishing him for not breaking it?
As far as I can tell, yes. But you'd need to get both houses to support such a thing.

I assume they'd phrase it differently. "Mismanagement" or some such.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:59 AM   #523
Belz...
Fiend God

It is a law. It's in article 2 of the US Constitution.
Impeaching the president is not passing a law. SCOTUS can't say it's unconstitutional, especially since, as you point out, IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:02 AM   #524
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
As far as I can tell, yes. But you'd need to get both houses to support such a thing.

I assume they'd phrase it differently. "Mismanagement" or some such.
If they didn't phrase it differently?

What if it explicitly states, *this impeachment does not address any high crime or misdemeanor?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 25th April 2019 at 07:05 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:06 AM   #525
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I haven't bothered to look up the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanours" but Trump could argue that whatever the House wants to impeach him for doesn't fall under that definition. If he were correct, then his impeachment would be unconstitutional. How else would you stop Congress from doing something unconstitutional other than by getting SCOTUS to rule on it?
It is impossible that the cause for indictment could be outside the definition of high crimes and misdemeanors. The phrase does not appear outside the Constitution. The House that is doing the voting gets to decide what it means.

Please keep in mind, the House voting for impeachment is more like an indictment than anything else. The second part of the process is the trial. The Senate gets to examine the evidence and vote on whether or not he stays in office.
Old 25th April 2019, 07:18 AM   #526
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Did you guys even read the article? They address the issue of the Supreme Court vs. Congress:

Quote:
Although Trump claimed he would seek the Supreme Court’s help if the House were to impeach him, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 1993 that authority for impeachment trials resides in Congress and ”nowhere else.”
They even provide a link:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...ers_upheld.htm

Quote:

What is the meaning of the verb “to try?” In 1992, justices of the U.S. Supreme Court consulted a shelf-full of dictionaries in search of a precise answer. They sought to settle a case initiated by a federal district judge, who in 1989 had been impeached by the House of Representatives and removed from office by the Senate. Imprisoned on a conviction for lying to a grand jury, Judge Walter Nixon disputed the Senate’s interpretation of “try” as it exercised its exclusive constitutional power to “to try all impeachments.”

On January 13, 1993, Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist put his dictionaries away and settled any doubts about all three cases. On behalf of a unanimous court, he ruled that authority over impeachment trials “is reposed in the Senate and nowhere else.”
Old 25th April 2019, 07:21 AM   #527
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
You should take a closer look at Article 2, because in Section 2 it goes on to say:

Therefore, House of Representatives deals with the impeachment of a President and not the courts.
I'm not arguing against that.

What I am saying is the bit of the constitution that I quoted tells us under what conditions the House can impeach the president. If the House of Representatives decides to impeach the president on the grounds that he wears his tie too long, he might argue that they are behaving unconstitutionally because wearing your tie too long is not treason or bribery or a "high crime or misdemeanour". I don't see why any president shouldn't be allowed to ask for a constitutional ruling on that from the SCOTUS.

Quote:
P.S.: there really is no definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors" because that determination is made by the House of Representatives.
Is it? I don't think it is as clear cut as you make out.

If the legislature can impeach for literally any reason they choose, that opens the possibility that, if both the House and Senate, are controlled by one party they could have the president removed at will. So much for checks and balances.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:25 AM   #528
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Did you guys even read the article? They address the issue of the Supreme Court vs. Congress:

They even provide a link:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory...ers_upheld.htm
Yeah, but that was for a Dem President being impeached for lying about a BJ, at a time when the court was mostly honest. This is completely different, because reasons.
Old 25th April 2019, 07:26 AM   #529
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
It is impossible that the cause for indictment could be outside the definition of high crimes and misdemeanors. The phrase does not appear outside the Constitution.
Yes it does. Or rather it did in the 18th century. It has a meaning going back to the 14th century.

Quote:
The House that is doing the voting gets to decide what it means.
If that is truly the case, the system is truly ****** up.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #530
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Has the GOP called for him to resign? How about a public statement condemning his actions?
Yeah, like the GOP used to always say about Muslims, "Where are the good Republicans to call out the bad Republicans"?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #531
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

It is impossible that the cause for indictment could be outside the definition of high crimes and misdemeanors. The phrase does not appear outside the Constitution. The House that is doing the voting gets to decide what it means.
I'm not an expert on this but that doesn't sound right. The phrase is described by multiple sources as being in common use in political law prior to it's use in the Constitution. Also the debate surrounding alternate wordings, such as including "maladministration" as a reason for impeachment, suggest the framers really did not mean that House voting gets to decide what it means.

And it's SCOTUS that interprets the Constitution, right?

ETA: Echoing jeremyp I see.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:34 AM   #532
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

If the legislature can impeach for literally any reason they choose, that opens the possibility that, if both the House and Senate, are controlled by one party they could have the president removed at will. So much for checks and balances.

The check to that would be the electorate. One would hope that such a blatantly partisan action would result in the removal of the offending members of Congress in the next election.

It's not a perfect system, but then nothing is.

But when you consider how few impeachments have actually occurred in the history of the US, this seems like a fairly weak concern.

After all, look at where we are now: We have a report that provides quite a bit of evidence that Trump has obstructed justice, and he continues to commit essentially the same acts even now, but despite that, we still have people in Congress, members of the opposition party no less, who aren't sure if this is something he should be impeached over. I think I'll hold off on worrying about the Tan Suit with off-color shoes impeachment for the time being.
Old 25th April 2019, 07:41 AM   #533
dasmiller

That party would have to have a 2/3 majority in both houses, and I believe that's never happened. So far, I haven't found a case where one party has had 2/3 of either house, but I'm less confident on that.

ETA: Just a majority in the house, and 2/3 in the senate.

ETA2: My bad. Sufficient majorities did happen in 1935. I'd delete the whole post but for the possibility that someone's already read it and is working on a reply.

Last edited by dasmiller; 25th April 2019 at 07:56 AM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:43 AM   #534
Belz...
Fiend God

Just switch to a parliamentary system and be done with it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:44 AM   #535
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Honestly, I would be more concerned with the situation where the House and Senate are controlled by the same party and are enabling a corrupt president of that same party.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:58 AM   #536
Steve
Philosopher

Yes it does. Or rather it did in the 18th century. It has a meaning going back to the 14th century.

If that is truly the case, the system is truly ****** up.
Seems that over the last 2+ years Trump has brought to light exactly how ****** up your political system actually is. And almost half of you think that is ok.
Old 25th April 2019, 08:08 AM   #537
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

What I am saying is the bit of the constitution that I quoted tells us under what conditions the House can impeach the president. If the House of Representatives decides to impeach the president on the grounds that he wears his tie too long, he might argue that they are behaving unconstitutionally because wearing your tie too long is not treason or bribery or a "high crime or misdemeanour". I don't see why any president shouldn't be allowed to ask for a constitutional ruling on that from the SCOTUS.
While it is true that the President is quite at liberty to ask for anything that he wishes, including court rulings. However, even the wishes of sitting President are not automatically granted.

Quote:

I quite agree, it is not a perfect government. However, there never has been a perfect government and it is quite unlikely that there ever will be a perfect government so we just have to make the best of things in the meantime.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:09 AM   #538
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Just switch to a parliamentary system and be done with it.
You want Mitch McConnell as prime minister? Parliamentary systems give the parties even more power than the US system.
Old 25th April 2019, 08:10 AM   #539
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You want Mitch McConnell as prime minister?
Parliamentary systems have appointed senates, usually, which makes them less partisan. The turtle wouldn't be there.

Old 25th April 2019, 08:13 AM   #540
Armitage72
Master Poster

Trump made the exact same argument, because he assumes that everyone is as power-hungry, vindictive, and unconcerned with doing their proper job as he is.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:21 AM   #541
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Parliamentary systems have appointed senates, usually, which makes them less partisan. The turtle wouldn't be there.

And Canada's Senate is not much more than a glorified rubber stamp at this point. No one who is serious about political power looks anywhere other than the House of Commons.

The big benefit of the parliamentary system is that a vote of non-confidence, which is probably the closest we can get to an impeachment as envisaged in the US constitution, requires only a simple majority, which might be easier to get.

We also have the option of the party caucus itself dumping the PM, but I'm not sure that's ever actually happened, even though it's been threatened a few times.
Old 25th April 2019, 08:24 AM   #542
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I haven't bothered to look up the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanours" but Trump could argue that whatever the House wants to impeach him for doesn't fall under that definition. If he were correct, then his impeachment would be unconstitutional. How else would you stop Congress from doing something unconstitutional other than by getting SCOTUS to rule on it?
High crimes and misdemeanors was intentionally left vague. OF course an impeachment only removes someone from office it is a political act and really outside the scope of the Supreme court other than for the cheif judge to act as judge in the trial in the senate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:26 AM   #543
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

First, the two houses of congress provide checks on each other. Second, on most matters, the courts can declare legislation unconstitutional and the president can veto bills (subject to congressional override, of course).

But as far as I can tell, there's no constitutional limit to congress' ability to impeach the president, so what checks and balances would be needed to uphold the constitution in such a case?
That is called elections. They also don't get to exactly choose who replaced the president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 08:29 AM   #544
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yeah, but that was for a Dem President being impeached for lying about a BJ, at a time when the court was mostly honest. This is completely different, because reasons.
Nonsense that was way before the BJ even happened. That was about a democratic president being taken in by a conman in a land scam.(whitewater) You have to keep the investigations that exonerated Clinton straight.
Old 25th April 2019, 08:31 AM   #545
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

That party would have to have a 2/3 majority in both houses, and I believe that's never happened. So far, I haven't found a case where one party has had 2/3 of either house, but I'm less confident on that.

ETA: Just a majority in the house, and 2/3 in the senate.

ETA2: My bad. Sufficient majorities did happen in 1935. I'd delete the whole post but for the possibility that someone's already read it and is working on a reply.
But they would also have to not have the presidency.
Old 25th April 2019, 08:35 AM   #546
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But they would also have to not have the presidency.
That's why having the same party control the Presidency, House, and Senate simultaneously is far more concerning: It seems to be more likely and enables corruption.
Old 25th April 2019, 09:52 AM   #547
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

This just in: North Korea billed US $2M for hospital care of Otto Warmbier.

Quote:
North Korea in 2017 reportedly issued a $2 million bill to the U.S. for the hospital care of American Otto Warmbier, who was in a coma when he was returned to the U.S. and died without regaining consciousness.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that North Korea insisted that a U.S. official sign a pledge to pay the bill before returning Warmbier, an Ohio native who was arrested while visited Pyongyang.

Citing two people familiar with the situation, the Post reported that the U.S. envoy who retrieved Warmbier signed the pledge on instructions from President Trump.

The Post says it's unclear if the Trump administration ultimately paid the bill.

Of course, this being Trump, there's no way he paid the bill.

But so much for his vaunted "negotiation" skills. Step 1: promise them whatever they want; Step 2: renege on the promise. Par for the course*, really.

*That being any course Trump plays cheats at golf on.
Old 25th April 2019, 10:03 AM   #548
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

And Canada's Senate is not much more than a glorified rubber stamp at this point.
And baffling scandal generator. Turns out that an entire institution based around patronage is prone to corruption.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:24 AM   #549
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't say it "makes them less partisan". The fact that they are life-long appointments may make them less prone to rapid changes in the political environment, but if you have one party that is in power for a long period of time, its possible for their appointments to act in a partisan manner. (This happened when Mulroney was in power, and the heavily Liberal-leaning senate blocked his attempt to implement the GST (Goods and Services Tax).

I think the Canadian senate only looks less partisan because it doesn't really have a lot of power. Plus, Canada doesn't have the equivalent of the Tea Party.
And Canada's Senate is not much more than a glorified rubber stamp at this point.
What do you mean "at this point"? the Senate has pretty much ALWAYS been a 'rubber stamp', except for a few rare cases (the GST example mentioned above).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:33 AM   #550
Tero
Graduate Poster

Please keep in mind, the House voting for impeachment is more like an indictment than anything else. The second part of the process is the trial. The Senate gets to examine the evidence and vote on whether or not he stays in office.
Funny thing is, you can impeach a president for high crimes, which might not be crimes at all in law books. Crimes the average citizen could be charged with.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:51 AM   #551
jeremyp
Muse

Impeaching the president is not passing a law.
Nobody said it was. It is however, defined by a law.

SCOTUS can't say it's unconstitutional, especially since, as you point out, IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION.[/quote]

Of course he can say it's unconstitutional. The question is how do you decide if he is right or not. The constitution lists reasons why the House might impeach the president, one of which is quite poorly defined. That leaves room for interpretation and the place to resolve differences in interpretation is in the courts.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:57 AM   #552
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, it doesn't work that way.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:04 PM   #553
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Nonsense that was way before the BJ even happened. That was about a democratic president being taken in by a conman in a land scam.(whitewater) You have to keep the investigations that exonerated Clinton straight.
That's what started Starr's real witch-hunt, but it was the entrapped perjury that was the basis of the impeachment.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:04 PM   #554
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Nobody said it was. It is however, defined by a law.

SCOTUS can't say it's unconstitutional, especially since, as you point out, IT'S IN THE CONSTITUTION.

Of course he can say it's unconstitutional. The question is how do you decide if he is right or not. The constitution lists reasons why the House might impeach the president, one of which is quite poorly defined. That leaves room for interpretation and the place to resolve differences in interpretation is in the courts.
I think that it is rather unlikely that the courts would get involved with some sort of political squabble between the Legislative branch of the government and the Executive branch of the government.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:15 PM   #555
Belz...
Fiend God

Again, it's a political process, not a legal one.

Old 25th April 2019, 12:16 PM   #556
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

Rasmussen 50% Approval Rating, Thank you! #MAGA
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:22 PM   #557
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

This would totally be relevant if the proposed impeachment was about the length of his tie. I hear more talk of obstruction of justice than anything else. Are you seriously suggesting that such obstruction doesn't constitute a high crime or misdemeanor?

It is, of course, no good claiming that the issue is that he didn't really obstruct justice at all. That would be an issue reserved for the Senate to decide, not the Court, far as I can tell.

I'd say the House can impeach him on any charge, regardless of the lack of evidence (they could, if they wanted, impeach him on the grounds that he's not 35 years old and lied about he age when he ran). If the Senate so decides, he would be removed with no recourse to the courts. If I'm mistaken, I'd like to see some references saying so. But on this issue, it seems the Constitution leaves broad discretion to the Congress out of respect for that distinguished and wise body. Sounds a bit out of date, yes, but originalists would surely defer to the intentions of the founders.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:25 PM   #558
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with Clinton. The ruling was from 1993, long before the issues regarding Clinton's impeachment.

Last edited by phiwum; 25th April 2019 at 12:26 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:50 PM   #559
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's what started Starr's real witch-hunt, but it was the entrapped perjury that was the basis of the impeachment.
Not exactly entrapped. The problem is that the political issue and the legal issue involved were different, the question was totally irrelevant and they should have objected to it, of course objecting to it would draw attention and be politically questionable.

This is of course a bit of a political vs legal catch 22, but not exactly strictly entrapment.

Of course that was when the president trying to obstruct justice would not be defended by the attorney general by saying he was angry.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:53 PM   #560
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It IS 100% clear cut.

The Supreme Court has ZERO, NADA, ZIPPO... NO jurisdiction whatsoever over impeachment of POTUS or any other government or judiciary official. Its ONLY involvement is that the Supreme Court Chief Justice presides over the Senate trial if the House rules to impeach

SCOTUS can have no other involvement.... period!

Last edited by smartcooky; 25th April 2019 at 12:56 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics