ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 17th May 2019, 07:33 PM   #1641
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Today, it was my great honor to address the the National Association of REALTORS!
My response:

I'm sure they loved hearing from the country's top FAKETOR!
Old 17th May 2019, 10:26 PM   #1642
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Today, it was my great honor to address the the National Association of REALTORS!
They already have one, Donny. 500 New Jersey Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001, USA.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 10:29 PM   #1643
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My response:

I'm sure they loved hearing from the country's top FAKETOR!
I'm surprised he even showed up! They had the unmitigated gall to hold the confab in a Marriott property. Harrumph! (Or maybe we should make his pouty gestures into "Tarrumph!")

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2019, 11:33 PM   #1644
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Mmm. A bunch of random stuff time! Presented in no special order.

Well, we already know that there's a so much corruption in the Republican Party now that we can likely call it the Party of Corruption. A particularly interesting side-effect of that, though, is that a number of Republicans are outright opposed to investigating corruption in general, including by Democrat... while the Democrats are the ones in favor of looking into corruption, including by Democrat.

Quote:
But, of course, there are dirty Dems as well. But Republicans are so corrupt these days, they are even letting THEM off the hook...for some odd reason. A high-profile law firm in Boston was found by Federal Elections Commission staff investigators to have unlawfully reimbursed its attorneys for campaign contributions to Democrats to the tune of more than a million dollars in donations. The FEC lawyers recommended a further investigation to the FEC Commissioners, but they voted 2 to 2 on party lines to end the case without any further probe. You'll be shocked to learn the 2 Republicans on the Commission voted AGAINST the further probe, while the Democrat and Independent appointees both voted in favor of it. FEC Chair Commissioner Ellen Weintraub, the lone Democratic appointee, told the Boston Globe: "In every case, it doesn't matter whether Democrats or Republicans are subject of the complaint, the Democrats want to enforce the law and the Republicans don't. It's an ideological opposition to enforcing the law." That sounds about right. It's a Republican Culture of Corruption.
Ted Cruz has provided a moment of levity, though. Looks like he's asking for billions to defend against Space Pirates!

In actual good news.... Good Job, Nevada! Nevada's banned the gay and trans panic defense from courts.

If you want to look a bit at unpleasant expectations for what's going to happen with this Supreme Court, here's a bit of an article. With that said, though, I think that it has a single quote in it that sums up the major issue at hand quite well.

Quote:
Movement conservatives shun conservative legal principles.
Next up... now we have a Bush adviser using a meetup with House Republicans to warn that Trump is a '10 out of 10 narcissist.' Based on the opinions of professionals... and not disputed by any of the Republicans there.

After that comes... Republican Party Is on the Road to Mass Lockups for Women Who Have Miscarriages, by Thom Hartmann

Quote:
Utah charged 28-year-old Melissa Ann Rowland with murder because she refused a C-section, preferring vaginal birth for her twins, and one of them died. Sixteen-year-old Rennie Gibbs was charged by the state of Mississippi with “depraved heart murder” when her baby was born dead because his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck: her crime was that she had cocaine in her bloodstream, according to prosecutors. Angela Carder was ordered to have a C-section to deliver her baby before she died of cancer; both she and the baby died from the procedure.

These cases have exploded in recent years, as the GOP and the nation’s law enforcement system have embraced the American “Christian” version of fundamentalist Islamic law which dictates that women are the property of men and their principal purpose for existence is reproduction.

According to Duke University’s Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, there were 413 documented—and probably thousands of lesser-known—cases of women being prosecuted for having miscarriages or attempting abortions between the time Roe v. Wade became the law of the land and 2005.

Between 2005 and 2014, the Guttmacher Institute documented another 380 cases.
This is BEFORE the anti-abortion laws that they're putting into place now. It's honestly not a stretch at all to expect that these laws are going to be used and abused like crazy, if the Republicans can manage it.

Next up... Top Senate Republican: McConnell won't allow bills to protect our elections to come to the floor. Pretty self-explanatory, really. All the more reason to call McConnell a traitor to the US. May he and Trump effectively spend the rest of their lives behind bars, like Trump just recommended!

There's also... Trump's team ignored EPA scientists in green-lighting new uses of asbestos. Yes. Because asbestos is good (for the pocketbooks of a very few)! Oh, right. There's also the Russian connection here. A Russian company's making bags of asbestos with Trump's picture on them.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:16 AM   #1645
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our courageous and vigilant Armed Forces safeguard the blessings of liberty for us and for future generations by selflessly answering the call of duty. Today, and every day, we acknowledge and celebrate all who proudly wear our Nation’s uniforms! http://45.wh.gov/b5uNuT
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 01:06 PM   #1646
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our courageous and vigilant Armed Forces safeguard the blessings of liberty for us and for future generations by selflessly answering the call of duty. Today, and every day, we acknowledge and celebrate all who proudly wear our Nation’s uniforms! http://45.wh.gov/b5uNuT
Chances he wrote that himself -- 0.001%.
Old 18th May 2019, 01:11 PM   #1647
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Agreed. President Trump would never use the word “selflessly.”
Old 18th May 2019, 01:13 PM   #1648
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

How ironic coming from Cadet Bone Spurs.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 02:00 PM   #1649
Aridas

Oh, hey. More reporting about the Republican tax scam.

Quote:
While Trump’s tax break for billionaires is just that—a plan that awards Trump himself tens of millions in tax breaks and means that some of the largest, most profitable companies in the country pay no tax at all—it punishes working class and middle class students. As The New York Times reports, students attending college on scholarships or financial aid packages are being taxed at a rate higher than Trump pays on his eight-figure income, with rates going up to 37%. That means that some of the students who most needed the money the most, but who made it into college on academic or athletic scholarships, or those who assembled an aid package that let them barely climb over the cost hurdle … are finding their mailboxes full with bills from the IRS. And, unlike Trump, they can’t get away with ignoring tax law.

Somehow, when they were crowing about this tax plan, Republicans failed to brag about how it was going to sock low income and middle class students for tens of thousands so that billionaires and corporate CEO’s could take home maximum benefits. It it seems like skimming from students wouldn’t make much of a difference, this isn’t just a slap on a few. This Trump tax hits about 1.3 million undergraduates and 15,000 grad students. And that’s not all. This “mistake” by Trump and the Republicans in designing their tax plan, is also taxing tribal funds paid to Native American kids to help them get an education … or simply to live. That’s quite a mistake.

But was it a mistake? The reason all these students are being hit is because the Republican law didn’t just include the special “kiddie tax” rate that was originally established to punish wealthy parents who tried to avoid taxes by hiding money under the names of small children, it expanded that tax. The new law increased the age limit from 14 to 23 and removed language that limited the application of the tax. That makes punishing low income and middle class students seem a lot less like an accident, and more like a plan.
In other news... Congressman who said car dealerships don’t sell defective cars is caught selling over a dozen at his own. Gee... Used Car Salesman/Republican Politician lied brazenly about a matter of import. Somehow, I'm not shocked.
Old 18th May 2019, 02:35 PM   #1650
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Agreed. President Trump would never use the word “selflessly.”
It describes a concept he work never understand.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:21 PM   #1651
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you Dan!

Dan Bongino
@dbongino
My new book “Exonerated: The Failed Takedown of President Donald Trump by the Swamp” blows the doors off of the scheme to destroy the Trump presidency. It will scare you and enlighten you at the same time.

Pick up a copy here ���� (link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1642933414..._aP3PCbHVCAX8K) amazon.com/dp/1642933414/…
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:29 PM   #1652
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Thank you Dan!

Dan Bongino
@dbongino
My new book “Exonerated: The Failed Takedown of President Donald Trump by the Swamp” blows the doors off of the scheme to destroy the Trump presidency. It will scare you and enlighten you at the same time.

Pick up a copy here ���� (link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1642933414..._aP3PCbHVCAX8K) amazon.com/dp/1642933414/…

You can find it in the Idiot Authors Who'll Write Anything for a Buck and Other Crap No One Will Bother to Read section.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:53 PM   #1653
Armitage72
Master Poster

Especially since it's paraphrasing the preamble of the Constitution, a document I'm sure he has never read.

"... secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity ..."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 04:32 PM   #1654
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The changing world.
Quote:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said in a recent interview with the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung that she thinks the postwar global order built over seven decades is over — and grouped the United States with China and Russia as rivals of Europe.

Merkel said she thinks the rise of right-wing populism — which many scholars have cited as the force behind seismic geopolitical events like Britain's exit from the EU, the election of US President Donald Trump, and the rise of populist leaders throughout Europe — has fundamentally shifted the global order of alliances and leaves Europe and its political and economic union on the defense. Business Insider article link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:03 PM   #1655
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The changing world.
I can see why see believes that.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:51 PM   #1656
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I'm astounded that anyone actually believes this.
I was talking about voting rather than a general comment. Misogyny itself won't die out until the last bloke gets buried, but it hasn't stopped women leaders being elected outside of USA.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:23 PM   #1657
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

James Comey tweeted:
Quote:
@Comey
The president claiming the FBI’s investigation was “TREASON“ reminds me that a Russian once said, “A lie told often enough becomes the truth.” That shouldn’t happen in America. Who will stand up? Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:32 PM   #1658
SezMe
post-pre-born

Didn't both Obama and Sally Yates warn Trump about Flynn?
I saw a clip of Jake Tapper looking into this and he listed a number of people and instances in which Dump was warned off Flynn. He ended up concluding, "Is there anybody who DIDN'T warn him?"
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:48 PM   #1659
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump lies so often and so needlessly that if he told me there were blue skies outside, I'd take an umbrella. How anyone with an IQ higher than 70 can believe anything that comes out of Trump's mouth is beyond me. How often do they have to be lied to before they've had enough? Before they can admit Trump is a lying POS and a horrible human being who is unfit to be the president of the US?
Old 18th May 2019, 08:39 PM   #1660
Aridas

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Trump lies so often and so needlessly that if he told me there were blue skies outside, I'd take an umbrella. How anyone with an IQ higher than 70 can believe anything that comes out of Trump's mouth is beyond me. How often do they have to be lied to before they've had enough? Before they can admit Trump is a lying POS and a horrible human being who is unfit to be the president of the US?
They would need to accept that he lied in a meaningful way, first?

Last year, my Dad and I came to an agreement. He had made a claim about how often asylum seekers showed up for their court dates in Obama years. I had firmly disagreed, citing significantly different numbers. We agreed to look at the official statistics to determine who was right. He had the opportunity to check first. What he found was... about a dozen fact checking sites that unanimously declared him to be completely wrong and me right. So he rooted around for other statistics and then declared to me that he was *actually* right based on something pretty much completely different and not especially relevant in the first place, despite those fact checkers, because... that's the way he wanted it to be. When confronted later with actual facts regarding a bunch of the other Republican lies he had spouted... he only responded with absolutely moronic one liners and a more general "If you don't accept the authority of people who are really, really blatantly lying or can be shown to be wrong with the application of even basic verification attempts, then we simply don't have common ground to work from."

In short, the underlying problem is not frequently not that they're being lied to. It's that they're horrendously failing at consistent application of critical thinking. This... goes right along with the old warnings about how totalitarian states gain and maintain power, honestly, which is deeply troubling.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th May 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 11:30 PM   #1661
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

The point you're missing is that they don't care.

They are either rich and lapping up the proceeds of Trump's largess, or christians thinking Trump will rid the country of abortions. There is no rational analysis.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:20 AM   #1662
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I do realize that many, if not most, Trumps supporters simply don't care that he is a malignant narcissist, pathological liar, adulterer, and disgusting human being. As I've said before, even if Trump were a Democrat and I agreed with his ideas, I could not vote for him because, as a person, he makes me want to vomit.
Old 19th May 2019, 02:27 AM   #1663
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As most people know, and for those who would like to know, I am strongly Pro-Life, with the three exceptions - Rape, Incest and protecting the Life of the mother - the same position taken by Ronald Reagan. We have come very far in the last two years with 105 wonderful new.....

....Federal Judges (many more to come), two great new Supreme Court Justices, the Mexico City Policy, and a whole new & positive attitude about the Right to Life. The Radical Left, with late term abortion (and worse), is imploding on this issue. We must stick together and Win....

....for Life in 2020. If we are foolish and do not stay UNITED as one, all of our hard fought gains for Life can, and will, rapidly disappear!
Old 19th May 2019, 07:45 AM   #1664
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is considering pre-emptively pardoning Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher facing court martial over multiple crimes committed in Iraq.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/u...ar-crimes.html

“One day, from his sniper nest, Chief Gallagher shot a girl in a flower-print hijab who was walking w/ other girls on the riverbank. She dropped, clutching her stomach, & the other girls dragged her away.”
“He routinely parked an armored truck on a Tigris River bridge & emptied the truck’s heavy machine gun into neighborhoods on twith no discernible targets.”
“Platoon members said he spent much of his time in a hidden perch with a sniper rifle, firing three or four times as often as other platoon snipers. They said he boasted about the number of people he had killed, including women.”
"Two other snipers said, the chief shot an unarmed man in a white robe with a wispy white beard. They said the man fell, a red blotch spreading on his back.”
"May 2017, a SEAL medic was treating a wounded 15 y/o Islamic State fighter. “He’s mine,” Gallagher said. He walked up without a word and stabbed the wounded teenager several times in the neck and once in the chest with his hunting knife, killing him.”
SEAL team 7 members filed formal complaints & called for an investigation about the “shocking acts” they had seen their chief commit. Instead of investigating, platoon members were warned “that speaking out could cost them and others their careers.”
Gallagher texted a friend “I just got word these guys went crying to the wrong person. The only thing we can do as good team guys is pass the word on those traitors. They are not brothers at all.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/u...es-of-war.html

He is also considering pardoning Green Beret Mathew Golsteyn, accused of killing an unarmed civilian; Nicholas Slatten, Blackwater guard found guilty of shooting dozens of unarmed Iraqis; & snipers accused of defiling a dead Taliban fighter’s corpse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/u...ar-crimes.html

If Trump pardons Gallagher and others like him he is sending a message to US personnel that they can do what they want with no repercussions.
He is undermining military law.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 19th May 2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 19th May 2019, 07:47 AM   #1665
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

For all of the Fake News Sunday Political Shows, whose bias & dishonesty is greater than ever seen in our Country before, please inform your viewers that our Economy is setting records, with more people employed today than at any time in U.S. history, our Military, which....

....was a depleted disaster, will soon be stronger than ever before, our Vets are finally being taken care of and now have Choice, our Courts will have 145 great new Judges, and 2 Supreme Court Justices, got rid of the disastrous Individual Mandate & will protect Pre-Existing....

....Conditions, drug prices down for first time in 51 years (& soon will drop much further), Right to Try, protecting your 2nd Amendment, big Tax & Reg Cuts, 3.2 GDP, Strong Foreign Policy, & much much more that nobody else would have been able to do. Our Country is doing GREAT!
Old 19th May 2019, 08:17 AM   #1666
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

this systematic pardoning of soldiers in the run-up to a conflict is worrisome.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:42 AM   #1667
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
this systematic pardoning of soldiers in the run-up to a conflict is worrisome.
Not if you're a soldier.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:51 AM   #1668
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Not if you're a soldier.
I'm not sure.
A soldier might depend on Trump's pardon, but by the time there is an investigation and possible court martial, Trump might no longer be in office.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:57 AM   #1669
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Not if you're a soldier.
Yes, especially if you are a soldier.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:14 PM   #1670
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yes, especially if you are a soldier.
Soldiers are the ones that turned these guys in.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:36 PM   #1671
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Soldiers are the ones that turned these guys in.
Exactly, they knew what was lawful and what wasn't.
By hunting at a pardon Trump is giving the OK to soldiers to commit illegal acts.
It undermines military law and discipline.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:37 PM   #1672
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump tweets

For all of the Fake News Sunday Political Shows, whose bias & dishonesty is greater than ever seen in our Country before, please inform your viewers that our Economy is setting records, with more people employed today than at any time in U.S. history, our Military, which....

....was a depleted disaster, will soon be stronger than ever before, our Vets are finally being taken care of and now have Choice, our Courts will have 145 great new Judges, and 2 Supreme Court Justices, got rid of the disastrous Individual Mandate & will protect Pre-Existing....

....Conditions, drug prices down for first time in 51 years (& soon will drop much further), Right to Try, protecting your 2nd Amendment, big Tax & Reg Cuts, 3.2 GDP, Strong Foreign Policy, & much much more that nobody else would have been able to do. Our Country is doing GREAT!

Nah, he's not a narcissist.

"with more people employed today than at any time in U.S."

That depends on how you word it. Are more people employed because our population in larger? Probably true. But it's false if you are talking about the percentage of the population employed. In 2000, the employment rate was 64.4% while in 2018 it was 60.4%...a full 4% lower than in 2000.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-1990/

"Courts will have 145 great new Judges"

That depends on your definition of "great". I don't consider Kavanaugh a 'great' judge.

"our Military, which....was a depleted disaster, will soon be stronger than ever before"

According to whose definition was it a 'depleted disaster' and exactly how will it be stronger than ever before? Stronger than during WWII?

" drug prices down for first time in 51 years (& soon will drop much further)

Quote:
Companies are incentivized to give prescription managers rebates so that their drugs will be given perks like lower patient co-pays, The Wall Street Journal reports. These rising rebates means the overall net cost of drugs is going down.

This is despite the fact that rising prices have been a chronic issue in the U.S.: just after the new year, three dozen drugmakers raised prices on more than 250 prescription drugs.

But with the rebates, the net cost is decreasing. Whether the patient ever sees these savings is debatable, but research shows the net price growth of drugs dropped 4% between 2016 and 2018, according to the WSJ.
http://fortune.com/2019/01/30/net-drug-prices-falling/#

I stopped fact checking after these first claims, but I think I sense a trend here, Donnie.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 19th May 2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:46 PM   #1673
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

With the wonderful College, University and other Graduations taking place all over the USA, there has never been a better time than now to graduate. Best jobs market ever, great housing and financing. Go out there, work hard, & have a GREAT life. You deserve it. Congratulations!

Watched some of the Fake News Political Shows this morning and continue to be amazed at how every question is asked in the most negative way. The Mainstream Media should be ashamed of itself - But the good news is that the USA is wise to your game of dishonesty and deception!
Old 19th May 2019, 01:12 PM   #1674
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump's message to graduates is: Don't watch the news (except FOX!) or read any newspapers (except those owned by my great friend and Patriot, Rupert Murdoch!) because the media are all liars plotting against me and my GREAT administration!
Old 19th May 2019, 01:44 PM   #1675
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

Our Economy and Jobs Market is BOOMING, the best in the World and in our Country’s history - and we have just started!
Old 19th May 2019, 01:45 PM   #1676
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

If Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran. Never threaten the United States again!
Old 19th May 2019, 01:47 PM   #1677
Stacyhs
Philosopher

More on Trump's false claim that drug prices are falling:
Quote:

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is misstating the facts when it comes to prescription drug prices.

Speaking Monday at a White House dinner, he cited a remarkable drop in prescription drug prices. But a government index that had registered some declines is now showing an increase again. Some experts say more increases are likely.

A look at the claim:

TRUMP: "Drug prices have gone down for the first time in 51 years — they've gone down. First time in 51 years."

THE FACTS: The president appeared to be referring to recent decreases in the Labor Department's Consumer Price Index for prescription drugs, touted by the administration. But the CPI was updated Friday, before Trump's latest claim, and it showed an increase of 0.3% in April for prescription drug prices, when compared with the same month last year.

Other independent studies point to increasing prices for brand name drugs as well and more overall spending on medications.

The index tracks a set of medications, both brand drugs and generics.
By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR and HOPE YEN, Associated Press - Associated Press - Tuesday, May 14, 2019
Old 19th May 2019, 01:48 PM   #1678
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Old 19th May 2019, 02:09 PM   #1679
SezMe
post-pre-born

More on Trump's false claim that drug prices are falling:
From your embedded quote:
Quote:
President Donald Trump is misstating the facts...
This really pisses me off. He's not "misstating" anything. He's LYING, damnit. Why does so much of the media go all "wobbly" (to quote the Iron Lady) when it comes to Dump's behavior.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 02:49 PM   #1680
Aridas

NYT: Deutsche anti-money laundering bank employees flagged 'suspicious activity' in Trump's and Kushner's accounts in 2016 and 2017.

Fairly self-explanatory. These reports and many others like them were apparently not relayed to the appropriate government entities, either, like they should have been. Sounds like the higher ups were far more interested in maintaining relationships with the clients than they were with than following the laws.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics