ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:13 PM   #2401
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, it's got a computerized voice and computers don't lie so it must be true!
Old 18th May 2019, 03:15 PM   #2402
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
For gases moving at high velocity through the atmosphere there is a lot of back pressure.
For solid objects moving through compressible fluids, that's a thing. Solid objects aren't compressible. Exhaust flow is compressible. But you don't know anything about compressible flow, do you?

Quote:
Ever heard of the sound barrier?
The exhaust goes supersonic before it even leaves the nozzle. I'll bet you wish you knew how the de Laval nozzle achieves that. But for you to know that, you'd have to admit to compressibility, which completely and the true nature of the sound barrier. And that would just wreck your whole belief system. Better to keep pretending all that real science doesn't actually exist. Better to keep accusing your betters of being bribed and lying.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:23 PM   #2403
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LongFuzzy View Post
Not only do rockets not work in a vacuum, they don't even work in the atmosphere.
Look at this picture.
Attachment 40122
See the chains and wires holding down all the space craft. That's because if you remove the chains, the ship will fly off into space. You see, they all have stolen alien anti gravity engines in them. You know, the alien stuff stolen from all those crashed ufo's. The rocket motors are a diversion to make sure nobody finds out about the anti gravity stuff.

I thought they just painted them with Cavorite.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:29 PM   #2404
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hey, it's got a computerized voice and computers don't lie so it must be true!
Anybody know who NotTheCIA I.think is?

From the comments.

Omg. I just realised you had a battery in the container as well. Wtf is wrong with you

Looks like Jerry was trying to add a little weight to his Buoyancy experiment! Eh, Jerry?

Also, Jerry's spring balance is in Kilograms! Imposter!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 03:52 PM   #2405
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Ging didn't learn anything from this thread, but I, along with a few others, learned a lot.

Thanks Smarties.
Old 18th May 2019, 04:03 PM   #2406
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Ging didn't learn anything from this thread, but I, along with a few others, learned a lot.

Thanks Smarties.

I donít think their goal is to learn anything. I think theyíre trolling. For a while I thought they were mentally ill so I avoided the thread for a while. Iíve since seen enough to conclude this is all someoneís effort at trolling for the LOLs.

Each post they make is just trying to milk a bull. They wonít get any milk but the bull (the rest of us) is certainly enjoying their efforts. Since their goal is to milk a bull while pretending theyíre after milk, this works out for everyone.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:47 PM   #2407
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Still waiting for evidence of rockets working in space.

Things don't work like that.

Rockets working due to Newton's Laws is ESTABLISHED FACT, confirmed both by experimentation and observation. If you want us to believe that rockets only work because the exhaust pushes off the atmosphere and therefore do not work in a vacuum, then you have the burden of proof; you have to show the physics of how this happens... you can start by answering these requests and questions that you have so far studiously avoided...

The blue is the atmosphere
The orange is the rocket exhaust
The red arrows are the direction of thrust

The gradient of orange to blue indicates the transition of the density of rocket exhaust gases to the density of the atmosphere.

Now Gingervytes, you argue that the motion of a rocket is caused by the exhaust gases pushing on the atmosphere. Please use the diagram to answer the following questions and requests...

1. Please show everyone the point at which your alleged pushing force occurs. It cannot be inside the rocket bell itself because once it is ignited, all of the atmosphere will be blown away so there will be no atmosphere left inside the bell to push against.

2. Please explain what connects the point at which your alleged pushing force occurs back to the rocket in order to move it, i.e., how is the pushing force transferred back to the rocket?

3. What is the rate at which your alleged pushing force falls away as the atmosphere becomes less dense with increasing altitude? Please express this in terms of ΔF/m i.e. the change in Force per metre of altitude.

Come on Gingervytes, if you truly believe what you say, don't be a coward. Have the courage of your convictions, and show us all how it works.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:54 PM   #2408
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
https://youtu.be/vHWDNrrfhnI

Chinese rocket launch. Ginger you should inform the Chinese government of their folly. After you inform them move on to the Indian government, Israel government, the European Space agency, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos https://youtu.be/_LUmZqTmAZA
https://youtu.be/-oILApXqPMI
Why did end so quick. It didnít even reach space
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:02 PM   #2409
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It didnít even reach space
Prove it didn't reach space.
JayUtah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:02 PM   #2410
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Things don't work like that.

Rockets working due to Newton's Laws is ESTABLISHED FACT, confirmed both by experimentation and observation. If you want us to believe that rockets only work because the exhaust pushes off the atmosphere and therefore do not work in a vacuum, then you have the burden of proof; you have to show the physics of how this happens... you can start by answering these requests and questions that you have so far studiously avoided...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd31q8wy3m...sion.png?raw=1

The blue is the atmosphere
The orange is the rocket exhaust
The red arrows are the direction of thrust

The gradient of orange to blue indicates the transition of the density of rocket exhaust gases to the density of the atmosphere.

Now Gingervytes, you argue that the motion of a rocket is caused by the exhaust gases pushing on the atmosphere. Please use the diagram to answer the following questions and requests...

1. Please show everyone the point at which your alleged pushing force occurs. It cannot be inside the rocket bell itself because once it is ignited, all of the atmosphere will be blown away so there will be no atmosphere left inside the bell to push against.

2. Please explain what connects the point at which your alleged pushing force occurs back to the rocket in order to move it, i.e., how is the pushing force transferred back to the rocket?

3. What is the rate at which your alleged pushing force falls away as the atmosphere becomes less dense with increasing altitude? Please express this in terms of ΔF/m i.e. the change in Force per metre of altitude.

Come on Gingervytes, if you truly believe what you say, don't be a coward. Have the courage of your convictions, and show us all how it works.
Well since the rocket end up going sideways, you can say that thrust is diminished with increasing height
Gingervytes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:04 PM   #2411
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Well since the rocket end up going sideways
Prove it's not just the camera angle.

Quote:
...you can say that thrust is diminished with increasing height
Asked and answered. You can't work the numbers for decreasing thrust.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:12 PM   #2412
Gingervytes
Critical Thinker

Every single rocket launch it goes sideways round the same altitude, way before space.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:15 PM   #2413
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Every single rocket launch it goes sideways round the same altitude, way before space.
So you admit you can't prove it's not just the camera angle.

I claim that I fly rockets into space. Prove I'm a liar taking bribes, like you said was the case.
Old 18th May 2019, 06:35 PM   #2414
Pope130
Master Poster

It's an orbital rocket, not a sounding rocket. A sounding rocket goes straight up, then falls straight back down. For a rocket to go into orbit, it must add a horizontal component. It gradually pitches over, until at it's orbital altitude it is traveling parallel to the surface of the Earth at the correct speed.

(My apologies to the actual rocket scientists here for the extreme simplification of this description.)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:36 PM   #2415
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space.

Dude. Iím disappointed. Multiple videos have been posted to this thread showing launches from cameras mounted on the rocket. Babbling about angles from the ground is just plain lazy, even for you.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 18th May 2019 at 06:37 PM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 06:37 PM   #2416
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Hey Gingervytes. Explain why airplanes need wings to fly sideways but rockets don't. Whoops! Explain why people who watch the launch from significantly north or south of the launch azimuth see it go up as well as downrange. Were they all bribed too? Who's paying all these bribes, and where are they getting the money?

C'mon, Gingerrvytes. Prove I'm the liar you say I am. Prove I'm taking bribes like you said. Can you put your money where your mouth is, or are you just a bunch of compressed gas?
Old 18th May 2019, 06:39 PM   #2417
halleyscomet
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th May 2019, 06:39 PM   #2418
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
My apologies to the actual rocket scientists here for the extreme simplification of this description.
Oh, it's fine. The next level of complexity involves a ton of math, so you stopped just in time. And of course Gingervytes has been told all this. He hasn't displayed any interest in learning how rockets really work. He seems more excited about the gaslighting.
Old 18th May 2019, 08:24 PM   #2419
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Duh. They have to that in order to go into orbit.... oh, that's right, you are a bleever in flat earth buffoonery, so you don't think there is any such thing as "orbit"

Gingervytes, it appears that you have neither the physics nor the engineering skills to even attempt to put your theory into practical quantifiable terms. Either that, you your theory is pure bunkum.

I think its the latter
Old 18th May 2019, 10:07 PM   #2420
curious cat
Thinker

That because it starts sliding along the dome, silly...
curious cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:36 PM   #2421
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
It's an orbital rocket, not a sounding rocket. A sounding rocket goes straight up, then falls straight back down. For a rocket to go into orbit, it must add a horizontal component. It gradually pitches over, until at it's orbital altitude it is traveling parallel to the surface of the Earth at the correct speed.

(My apologies to the actual rocket scientists here for the extreme simplification of this description.)
I am guessing that in order to accept the idea of a rocket getting into space from a tangent it would help if you could accept the idea that the earth is round. I'm not sure that's the case.

Gingervytes, here's a little additional thing to ponder. Since the first successful launches of rockets into "space" in around 1957, there have been an awful lot of rockets shot off. NASA has sent up well over a hundred manned flights alone, and I read that about 8000 satellite launches have occurred. Now, if these things did not go into space, where did they go, and where did they land? That's a lot of scrap metal out there somewhere. Where the hell is it then?

Do you accept that the manned flights were manned at all? If so, why? Do you think the satellite launches had any payload at all? If so, why? In fact, do you accept that any rockets were ever launched? If so, why?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:36 PM   #2422
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

If they didn't, how could anything ever enter orbit?

If they didn't, every rocket would simply get further and further away forever. Which would be rather useless.

Please explain how an orbit might be achieved without a change of direction, because even with a moronic flat earth model a change of direction would be required.

Account for this please.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:47 PM   #2423
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
If they didn't, how could anything ever enter orbit?

If they didn't, every rocket would simply get further and further away forever. Which would be rather useless.

Please explain how an orbit might be achieved without a change of direction, because even with a moronic flat earth model a change of direction would be required.

Account for this please.
He can't... Flat Earthers don't "do"oribts.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:21 PM   #2424
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
I wonder if this might be gingervytes?
https://youtu.be/AubIFUsq7Ss
That you tube video was posted by a "Jerry Sprocket" about two months ago. The same "Jerry Sprocket" has been busy posting on many platforms, about two months ago, using that and other names. There are repeated phrasings of "pressure differential" in the bogus claims including those on the Godlikeproductions" internet forum.

This includes a very silly video disproving global warming by Jerry Sprocket, posted on You Tube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGCNqH4rxk

I believe it is simple attention seeking.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 12:03 AM   #2425
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

He can't... Flat Earthers don't "do"oribts.
Well, their model sort of requires them to do so at some level. After all, they have the "spotlight sun" orbiting over the flat equator at an altitude of some ca. 3000 miles. So in flatty world, some form of orbit is necessary.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 12:37 AM   #2426
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, their model sort of requires them to do so at some level. After all, they have the "spotlight sun" orbiting over the flat equator at an altitude of some ca. 3000 miles. So in flatty world, some form of orbit is necessary.

I've been to Antarctica in the middle of summer - that is not what the sun does!

Here I am at the American Base (VXE-6) at McMurdo Sound - late December 1974. Its around 2 am
Old 19th May 2019, 01:02 AM   #2427
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Exhaust pushes in air causing back pressure which pushes the rocket

How does the ‘back pressure’ push the rocket?

Your argument implies that gas molecules cannot do this; if gas molecules (which is what the atmosphere is) can push a rocket then the gas molecules in the rocket exhaust can propel the rocket by pushing on the inside of the reaction chamber.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 19th May 2019 at 01:06 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:04 AM   #2428
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
In what direction does air push on a rocket operating within the atmosphere?
Exhaust pushes in air causing back pressure which pushes the rocket

Oh, and you didn’t answer the question. In what direction does the atmosphere push on a rocket?

ETA: The answer to this question is the same as the answer to Jay’s question about the basketball.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 19th May 2019 at 02:05 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 02:02 AM   #2429
Mojo
Mostly harmless

In the flat earth model they just go straight up until they hit the firmament, and then either stick to it (in the case of geostationary satellites) or travel along its surface.

Old 19th May 2019, 02:39 AM   #2430
steenkh
Philosopher

Rockets cannot propel in the vacuum of space.

https://media.giphy.com/media/r7fzAImRo116M/giphy.gif
I don't understand this model at all, because there is no sunset anywhere. The spotlight sun just moves around inn the sky and is dark at certain angles. That is not what anybody sees, not even the magic-believing flat-earthers themselves.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!

Last edited by steenkh; 19th May 2019 at 02:41 AM.
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 02:43 AM   #2431
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I don't understand this model at all, because there is no sunset anywhere. The spotlight sun just moves around inn the sky and is dark at certain angles. That is not what anybody sees, not even the magic-believing flat-earthers themselves.
Yes, but by presenting a nice graphic and "saying stuff" they're off the hook for a moment before the next part of the Gish Gallop.
Old 19th May 2019, 02:47 AM   #2432
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Face it, the Ancient Egyptians had a better model of a flat Earth.

Of course, it had the same sunset everywhere. It's almost as though it's a function of geometry that makes a flat Earth model either woefully bad or incredibly complex.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 02:53 AM   #2433
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Anybody who claims to have seen a sunrise or sunset is a liar who has been bribed by NASA to say that.

Old 19th May 2019, 03:17 AM   #2434
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Say, Gingervytes, did you step outside and watch the ISS fly 250 miles over your head yet, or could you not be bothered?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:35 AM   #2435
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I've been to Antarctica in the middle of summer - that is not what the sun does!

Here I am at the American Base (VXE-6) at McMurdo Sound - late December 1974. Its around 2 am
That can be corrected for by having that red circle change over the course of a year by adding an epicycle.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:36 AM   #2436
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

This on the other hand, I see no way around. A spotlight sun doesn't give you sunsets or sunrises, and I really can't see any way to get them with a flat earth model.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:41 AM   #2437
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

It's also worth noting that the sizes in that map are all way off. Look at the size of Australia and compare it to Canada, for instance.

Or Just look at how much water there is on this flat earth. Look at the sea travel distance from, say, Madagascar (or Chile) to Australia. I've never seen a flat-earther even attempt to deal with the problem of the scale of the southern hemisphere.
Isaac Asimov
Old 19th May 2019, 04:52 AM   #2438
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
It's also worth noting that the sizes in that map are all way off. Look at the size of Australia and compare it to Canada, for instance.

Or Just look at how much water there is on this flat earth. Look at the sea travel distance from, say, Madagascar (or Chile) to Australia. I've never seen a flat-earther even attempt to deal with the problem of the scale of the southern hemisphere.
Oh, that's very easy. As you get closer to Antarctica everything just gets bigger proportionally, so the distance *seems* the same.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 05:18 AM   #2439
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Oh, that's very easy. As you get closer to Antarctica everything just gets bigger proportionally, so the distance *seems* the same.
Wow, it's almost like the space there is curved.
Isaac Asimov
Old 19th May 2019, 05:38 AM   #2440
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Why did end so quick. It didnít even reach space
You do realize that's a video of a rocket reaching space right? It also deployed a satellite.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology