ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Facebook incidents , Facebook issues , free speech issues , internet incidents

Old 25th April 2019, 12:14 AM   #441
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You said it shouldn't extend to mere opinion. I said prove said opinion does not promote violence.
Actually you said "Prove there are cases where political ideology is the only basis for closing accounts".

Even so, this is far too broad a brush. Any opinion could be interpreted by somebody as meaning they should commit violent acts. On that basis, half the posts in ISF might have to be deleted.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:19 AM   #442
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.
Really? How does it work? You make a BS claim that FB is banning everyone with right-wing ideology and I'm supposed to prove that wrong?

If Richard Spencer isn't banned, that's pretty good proof.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:21 AM   #443
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Actually you said "Prove there are cases where political ideology is the only basis for closing accounts".

Even so, this is far too broad a brush. Any opinion could be interpreted by somebody as meaning they should commit violent acts. On that basis, half the posts in ISF might have to be deleted.
What are you claiming and what is your evidence?

A lot of tap dancing going on around here and I see links in my posts, don't see any in yours or Zig's. I could have missed them, I've skipped pages because the thread is moving too fast.
Old 25th April 2019, 12:31 AM   #444
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

What are you claiming and what is your evidence?
If you can't read my post for comprehension then what are you asking for evidence about?
Old 25th April 2019, 12:39 AM   #445
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post

Their competitor, Gab, is a great example of why you *want* to kick that sort of person out - in theory, it's a place where almost any speech is allowed to flourish. In reality, it's the place where neo-nazis, white supremacists, and other obnoxious hateful people go when they get kicked off of Twitter - and where they spend all their time metaphorically knifing one another, because that's what people who are addicted to hatred end up doing.

I forget the name, but I used to occasionally visit a Skeptics forum that was unmoderated. It was an absolute goldmine if you like petty infighting, incredibly crude jokes and creative insults. The average user was clearly intelligent and therefore the whole dumpster fire was quite entertaining to me.
But it was also an example of how an unmoderated space is like a train with no breaks. After a while, there was basically no productive discussion going on.

I truly don't think that GAB set out to be a Nazi site and was conceptualised as a place for open debate. But with the sudden waves of bans on the mainstream platforms caused an exodus of mostly alt-right types and the places they flee to basically turn into sewers. A similar development took place on Reddit where migration from moderated subreddits to the unmoderated ones took place. It ruined the unmoderated subreddits.

The rules for International Skeptics remain the gold standard for me. We can easily have people like Skeptic Tank (and once upon a time, Sunni Man) and debate them, as long as they follow the code of conduct.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:33 AM   #446
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Worse: all of us are idiots in some way or another.
I'm afraid you're right.

I have people in my family who think climate change is a hoax. These are people who are very accomplished in things like business.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 25th April 2019 at 01:35 AM.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 02:12 AM   #447
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Debate is massively overrated at this point - it is too confrontational.

All we should do is make lists of stuff people want, and then compare.
Old 25th April 2019, 02:56 AM   #448
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I'm afraid you're right.

I have people in my family who think climate change is a hoax. These are people who are very accomplished in things like business.
Oh, I have a brother in law who is a truther... he thinks it was a missile that hit the Pentagon...

I don't even try to go there.
Old 25th April 2019, 03:00 AM   #449
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, I have a brother in law who is a truther... he thinks it was a missile that hit the Pentagon...

I don't even try to go there.
Believe me, I don't.

I also have a friend who's a self-made millionaire, has multiple businesses, now running a startup, offices in three countries.

Moon hoaxer.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 25th April 2019 at 03:03 AM.
Eddie Dane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 03:56 AM   #450
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
What about freedom of association? That was what the baker in Colorado was arguing was at risk in his case; he did not want his products associated with something he felt was morally wrong. As I see it, that same right applies to Facebook.
Yet of course that right is infringed all the time, when the class of people you feel is morally wrong is a protected class. With out this kind of idea we then get back to covenants on property deeds about blacks being unable to live there(the book of mormon for example is quite clear that skin color is a mark of ones sinfulness).

So as with all of this we are getting to the principle of what should be a protected class. And clearly many conservatives want white supremacists to be one.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 03:58 AM   #451
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I don't have any problem with any of those groups being barred from FB, YT twitter etc.

I also find it deeply disturbing that Jeanine Pirro was a Judge and a DA. How does a white nationalist, racist piece of scum like Pirro get on the bench?
People voted for her. See how Roy Moore kept getting kicked off the alabama supreme court and getting back on it.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 04:01 AM   #452
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I forget the name, but I used to occasionally visit a Skeptics forum that was unmoderated. It was an absolute goldmine if you like petty infighting, incredibly crude jokes and creative insults. The average user was clearly intelligent and therefore the whole dumpster fire was quite entertaining to me.
But it was also an example of how an unmoderated space is like a train with no breaks. After a while, there was basically no productive discussion going on.

I truly don't think that GAB set out to be a Nazi site and was conceptualised as a place for open debate.
Why I thought it was well established that this cite was by the alt right for the alt right. So it really did set out to be the online home of white supremacy(the old name for the alt right).

ETA

"Gab, which was started in 2016 by a conservative programmer, Andrew Torba, who was fed up with what he saw as Silicon Valley’s left-wing censorship, was a controversial project from the start. The announcement of its introduction doubled as a broadside against political correctness, which the company said had “become a cancer on discourse and culture.” Gab, its creator said, would be a social network where all speech would be welcome, no matter how noxious or offensive."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/u...shootings.html

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 25th April 2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 25th April 2019, 04:27 AM   #453
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why I thought it was well established that this cite was by the alt right for the alt right. So it really did set out to be the online home of white supremacy(the old name for the alt right).

ETA

"Gab, which was started in 2016 by a conservative programmer, Andrew Torba, who was fed up with what he saw as Silicon Valley’s left-wing censorship, was a controversial project from the start. The announcement of its introduction doubled as a broadside against political correctness, which the company said had “become a cancer on discourse and culture.” Gab, its creator said, would be a social network where all speech would be welcome, no matter how noxious or offensive."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/u...shootings.html
I was wrong about GAB's origins then. I just remembered the 'all speech welcome' angle. I will say that they clearly ran with the edgy image to grow their user base for a while. I've only looked at it twice. The interface was bad and it was a racist cesspool of Muslim-hating and Jew-blaming. I did follow GAB on Twitter and that's where most of my knowledge about them comes from. At this point, the project must be doomed. They have become an Alt-Right platform, their app has been booted from app-stores and they can't possibly become advertising friendly by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 25th April 2019, 06:49 AM   #454
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Really? How does it work? You make a BS claim that FB is banning everyone with right-wing ideology and I'm supposed to prove that wrong?
I made no such claim. In fact, the post of yours I quoted wasn't even addressed to me.

Quote:
If Richard Spencer isn't banned, that's pretty good proof.
Proof of what? Let me remind you what you said, with the complete nonsense part hilighted since you can't figure it out on your own:

You said it shouldn't extend to mere opinion. I said prove said opinion does not promote violence.
That's not how the burden of proof works. It's not possible to prove that an opinion does not promote violence, just like it's not possible to prove that fairies don't exist. You have to prove that some particular opinion DOES promote violence.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 25th April 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 07:11 AM   #455
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 25th April 2019, 08:05 AM   #456
dann
Philosopher

Didn't I tell y'all?!

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Are citizens of The Hague not Dutch if they are Muslims? What is the religious qualification for being Dutch? I didn't know there was one. Do you have to be a Calvinist Protestant, or something like that?
Please ask one question per post. People reply to me with these-string-of question posts frequently and it gets annoying
I think I can answer that one for Baylor. We all know him well enough by now.

You'd have to be a white Calvininist Protestant to qualify as proper Dutch in his universe, but even so, if you're a little left-leaning, that's a dealbreaker.

The Muslims of middle Eastern ethnicity are not Dutch any more than George Orwell was Indian or Richard Dawkins is Kenyan.

We don't really need white supremacists for anything. We can just make them up.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 09:56 AM   #457
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter hid from the same problem.

Quote:
At a Twitter all-hands meeting on March 22, an employee asked a blunt question: Twitter has largely eradicated Islamic State propaganda off its platform. Why can’t it do the same for white supremacist content?

An executive responded by explaining that Twitter follows the law, and a technical employee who works on machine learning and artificial intelligence issues went up to the mic to add some context. (As Motherboard has previously reported, algorithms are the next great hope for platforms trying to moderate the posts of their hundreds of millions, or billions, of users.)

With every sort of content filter, there is a tradeoff, he explained. When a platform aggressively enforces against ISIS content, for instance, it can also flag innocent accounts as well, such as Arabic language broadcasters. Society, in general, accepts the benefit of banning ISIS for inconveniencing some others, he said.

In separate discussions verified by Motherboard, that employee said Twitter hasn’t taken the same aggressive approach to white supremacist content because the collateral accounts that are impacted can, in some instances, be Republican politicians.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:03 AM   #458
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If you can't read my post for comprehension then what are you asking for evidence about?
So you can't say. Got it.

Neither can Zig. He fusses that FB is banning ideology and when asked to show it's ideology and not violence associated ideology he plays word games.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 25th April 2019 at 10:08 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:10 AM   #459
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Twitter hid from the same problem.
Quote:
...In separate discussions verified by Motherboard, that employee said Twitter hasn’t taken the same aggressive approach to white supremacist content because the collateral accounts that are impacted can, in some instances, be Republican politicians.
That is the root of this problem, isn't it? White supremacists are dangerously powerful at the moment. One of them is POTUS.
Old 25th April 2019, 11:10 AM   #460
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So you can't say. Got it.

Neither can Zig. He fusses that FB is banning ideology and when asked to show it's ideology and not violence associated ideology he plays word games.
What you wrote was nonsense. I called you on your nonsense. That isn'r word games.

I have explicitly stated that I don't know exactly what caused these most recent bans. And the truth is, neither do you. NOBODY in this thread has actually pointed to specific content from any banned account which triggered the ban.

But I know Facebook has unfairly banned people in the past, it's not secret knowledge, and the easiest evidence of this is that sometimes Facebook reverses those bans when it causes an uproar.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 11:28 AM   #461
Arcade22
Philosopher

What's the problem? Don't these people have stormfront where they can heil all night long?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 12:22 PM   #462
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
What's the problem? Don't these people have stormfront where they can heil all night long?
Begs the question that Facebook restricts itself to banning proven stormfags.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 02:13 PM   #463
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

The Muslims of middle Eastern ethnicity are not Dutch any more than George Orwell was Indian or Richard Dawkins is Kenyan.
Nonsense.

For a start, both India and Kenya were effectively ruled by Britain at the times of the respective births of Blair and Dawkins. so the situations are not comparable. Either of them would have been entitled to claim nationality of where they were born, if they had chosen to.

By your reasoning, you're not American.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 02:32 PM   #464
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Damn, I had come here to post this.

Um, yes, it likely would auto-ban quite a few republicans, I agree. I also think that this is fully appropriate.

Steve King: "Why oh why was I banned from Twitter? Are you censoring conservatives?"

Jack: "Let's see...Ah, it seems you posted 'the fourteen words" repeatedly, rep. King."

Substitute Bannon, Miller, Dolt 25, whoever for King.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th April 2019, 10:14 PM   #465
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Um, yes, it likely would auto-ban quite a few republicans, I agree. I also think that this is fully appropriate.
WOW! Somebody sure piled the grease on that slope!

From Nazis, the censorship now applies to Republicans (and presumably any other non-left wing views).
Old 25th April 2019, 11:37 PM   #466
Mumbles
Philosopher

Notice how psionIO tries to shift from "quite a few Republicans", with clear and obvious examples given, to just "Republicans" as a general target.

I'm not falling for GOB's illusions. Bill Weld, Rick Wilson, Tim Scott, and Marco Rubio, to name a few, would be fine. For that matter, so would Twitter user blackrepublican, who goes into the GOP's racial problems in great detail - a lesson that many republicans desperately need.

But Steve King? Despicable Donald? They're both obviously white supremacists who post white supremacist memes and phrases, so of course they'd get caught up in any effort to ban white supremacists.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 12:15 AM   #467
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

From Nazis, the censorship now applies to Republicans (and presumably any other non-left wing views).
It's not who you are, but what you do.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 12:17 AM   #468
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Someone sure did... it was you with the tin of Valvoline and the oily rag...

"quite a few Republicans" >>>>>> "Republicans"

Indeed... looks like you have got yourself a set of motorised goalposts!
Old 26th April 2019, 12:57 AM   #469
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Why Won’t Twitter Treat White Supremacy Like ISIS? Because It Would Mean Banning Some Republican Politicians Too.
[...]
At a Twitter all-hands meeting on March 22, an employee asked a blunt question: Twitter has largely eradicated Islamic State propaganda off its platform. Why can’t it do the same for white supremacist content?
[...]
With every sort of content filter, there is a tradeoff, he explained. When a platform aggressively enforces against ISIS content, for instance, it can also flag innocent accounts as well, such as Arabic language broadcasters. Society, in general, accepts the benefit of banning ISIS for inconveniencing some others, he said.
[...]
The employee argued that, on a technical level, content from Republican politicians could get swept up by algorithms aggressively removing white supremacist material. Banning politicians wouldn’t be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda, he argued.
[...]
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...oliticians-too
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 12:58 AM   #470
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Because as we all know, Hate Speech Laws stopped Matteo Salvini, Jair Bolsonaro and other Far Right Demagogues from winning elections. I sometimes get the impression that liberal parties, facing defeat everywhere across the planet, are getting desperate and want to freeze everything at The End of History forever. Except it's too late for that.

Last edited by NWO Sentryman; 26th April 2019 at 01:01 AM.
NWO Sentryman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 02:12 AM   #471
Belz...
Fiend God

That's not what he said.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 09:35 AM   #472
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Notice how psionIO tries to shift from "quite a few Republicans", with clear and obvious examples given, to just "Republicans" as a general target.
You may have only named a handful of republicans now but as sure as water is wet, that list is going to grow. The net will also widen to include those who are sympathetic to these views and even to those who don't condemn those views strongly enough.
Old 26th April 2019, 09:43 AM   #473
Bouncing Bettys
Thinker

Imagine if the dog of the neighbour of David Berkowitz had its own facebook account. There would be deranged killers everywhere!

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 26th April 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 10:36 AM   #474
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You may have only named a handful of republicans now but as sure as water is wet, that list is going to grow. The net will also widen to include those who are sympathetic to these views and even to those who don't condemn those views strongly enough.
Either you're painfully ignorant of what a slippery slope fallacy is, or you're deliberately getting it wrong. Which is it?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 11:13 AM   #475
Mumbles
Philosopher

Ah! Now we have a proper "slippery slope" argument! Befoire you were just yelling about something nobody said.

Now then...

I am the Scum is correct, slippery slope arguments are fallacious by their very nature. It's perfectly acceptable to autoboot white supremacists and stop right there, and leave people that are merely "sympathetic" towards genocidal hate mongers around vto explain why, exactly, they view genocidal bigots as people to sympathize with.

Who knows, maybe they're one-time bigots who recovered and want to discuss how to get people out of that garbage - these people do exist, and some have even devoted their lives to the cause of helping others out of that space.
Old 26th April 2019, 03:10 PM   #476
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

The man obviously knows Republicans better than we do.

Who are we to challenge his assumption that all Republicans are White Supremacist wackos?

I'm willing to take his word for it.
Old 26th April 2019, 07:41 PM   #477
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Either you're painfully ignorant of what a slippery slope fallacy is, or you're deliberately getting it wrong. Which is it?
It is only a fallacy if you say that all slopes end in hell. It is not a fallacy to say that it doesn't stop here.
Old 26th April 2019, 09:43 PM   #478
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

It is only a fallacy if you say that all slopes end in hell. It is not a fallacy to say that it doesn't stop here.
Okay, it's the first option.

Educate yourself. If that doesn't work, then just drop the chicken little act and find an argument you're willing to substantiate.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th April 2019, 10:25 PM   #479
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I think I can answer that one for Baylor. We all know him well enough by now.

You'd have to be a white Calvininist Protestant to qualify as proper Dutch in his universe, but even so, if you're a little left-leaning, that's a dealbreaker.
I think you forgot the bit about something, something, childless bugmen.
Old 26th April 2019, 10:29 PM   #480
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Okay, it's the first option.
You may have found a website that claims that all slippery slope arguments are fallacies but that doesn't make it so. Educate yourself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events