ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Facebook incidents , Facebook issues , free speech issues , internet incidents

Old 5th May 2019, 10:15 PM   #521
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
What on earth are you talking about?
Some communist country or other must've banned religion, and since Baylor thinks leftists are filthy Muslim-lovers above all else, he thinks that pointing out a country with a communist government has outlawed Islam is going to send leftists into one of those destructive logic-loop overloads that Captain Kirk used to break robots with on the TV. That's my guess, at least.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 12:38 AM   #522
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well...it's true that Farrakhan has done more good in his life than Milo Alyankovich or Ifnowars' conspiracy theorizing placebo peddlers. He has managed to get high-crime areas under control when police simply refused to do so, as well as providing security for black celebrities when police wouldn't (at this point, black police unions are around to step in when the normal unions and fellowships throw a fit over mild criticisms). People who speak of him fondly usually recall this, and mostly consider his racism and anti-semitism to be all bark and no bite.

However!

Farrakhan's still a hateful SOB who likely had Malcolm X killed for leaving the group, and he's still a conspiracy theorist and a woo peddler who has increasingly strange ties with Scientology. Saying he's done more good than Infowars - that bar isn't low, it doesn't even exist. If he's on the wrong side of an anti-hate policy, then the policy is being applied properly.
Agreed.

I also think that when the White Supremacists are banned, along with them the Asian Supremacists, Jewish Supremacists, Black Supremacists get the banhammer too.

As for NoI helping communities. I'm sure they did. In Italy, at the moment the fascist movement is squatting unused office buildings and turning them into community centres for ethnic Italians. Complete with an unofficial doctor's office providing free healthcare to poor people. And yes, they are on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CasaPoundItalia
Old 6th May 2019, 08:15 AM   #523
carlitos
"ms divertido"

Apparently, these bannings have ruined the life of Laura Loomer. I have viewed this a few times, and it is apparently not a parody. She seems unwell.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA - Maybe she has a point if the evil Twitter people somehow banned her from Uber eats.

Quote:
Plaintiff is a journalist and activist. In order to suppress plaintiff’s views regarding certain controversial political topics – in particular, the role of radical Islam and its proponents American public life and policy – defendants CAIR Florida, Inc. and CAIR Foundation, which have been established by the U.S. government and adjudicated as essentially American branches of the Mideast terrorist group Hamas, have acted in concert and conspired with defendant Twitter, Inc. (“Twitter”) to cause her to be banned from, and prevented her from making a living through the use of, the majority of social media platforms.

3.These include not only Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and the blog platform Medium.com, but also major payment processors PayPal.com and Venmo, ride-sharing systems Uber (including Uber Eats) and Lyft, crowdfunding website GoFundMe, online custom merchandise platform Teespring.

Last edited by carlitos; 6th May 2019 at 08:23 AM.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2019, 10:39 AM   #524
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I also think that when the White Supremacists are banned, along with them the Asian Supremacists, Jewish Supremacists, Black Supremacists get the banhammer too.

Going strictly by the experiences of numerous friends and acquaintances, as well as my own, Facebook has always been ready and eager to purge the site of any content complaining about white people in general, white men in particular, and suspending or banning those who post such content. So far, just about everyone except white supremacists seem to get the banhammer regularly.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:17 AM   #525
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Going strictly by the experiences of numerous friends and acquaintances, as well as my own, Facebook has always been ready and eager to purge the site of any content complaining about white people in general, white men in particular, and suspending or banning those who post such content. So far, just about everyone except white supremacists seem to get the banhammer regularly.
I have no idea if FB is inconsistent in it's banning policy. I do think that everyone feels that their own political group is disproportionally targeted.

Louis Farrakhan's official page was banned yesterday along with Alex Jones and Milo.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...agram-n1001311
Old 8th May 2019, 02:08 PM   #526
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
ISF would be very peaceful if it banned extremists.

This repub/dem polarisation leads some people to put their own party first and then make their own arguments try and fit into a defence of their party's extremism.

Now watch as people try and accuse their opponents of this and thus prove my point.
Old 9th May 2019, 12:49 AM   #527
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Maybe the following is of interest to the people in this thread:

I've been listening to some podcasts relevant to this discussion. (I use Podcast on iPhone).

I Don't Speak German.
The creators of this podcast follow a number of Alt-Right Youtube personalities and Podcasters and chart the world of the Alt-Right. kind of what I did myself some years ago, but better.
https://podtail.com/podcast/i-don-t-speak-german/
The creators are waaaaaaaaaay to the left of me, and I don't always agree with their views, but on the whole, it is a very good effort and worth your time IMHO.

Behind the Bastards
Podcast series about bad people, many of them on the far right.
https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts
The episodes about the US Nazi leader Rockwell was very interesting.
I used to think this guy was a joke (walking around in full Nazi uniform in 1960's America), but it seems he was actually very influential and pioneered extreme-right propaganda tactics that are very relevant today.
Highly recommended.

It Could Happen Here
Explores the potential for the growing divisions in US society going 'hot'.
Looks at the militia movement, amongst other things.
https://podtail.com/podcast/it-could-happen-here/
Also highly recommended.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:57 PM   #528
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
ISF would be very peaceful if it banned extremists.

This repub/dem polarisation leads some people to put their own party first and then make their own arguments try and fit into a defence of their party's extremism.
I suspect that from the perspective of most people in 2070 we are all extremists, though I don't hazard to guess in which direction(s).
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 12:18 AM   #529
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I suspect that from the perspective of most people in 2070 we are all extremists, though I don't hazard to guess in which direction(s).
Eating animals, I believe your descendents will be saying "I know she ate animals but she did invent totally safe, free endless energy production.." in much the way that we would say "George Washington kept slaves but did....."
Old 10th May 2019, 12:29 AM   #530
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Eating animals, I believe your descendents will be saying "I know she ate animals but she did invent totally safe, free endless energy production.." in much the way that we would say "George Washington kept slaves but did....."
"The fact that Xer cured cancer does not excuse their use of disposable plastics. The council has chosen to remove their statue. Those who object in writing, speech or thought shall be branded with the mark of Himmler and excluded from Universal Basic Income."

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 10th May 2019 at 12:30 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2019, 09:59 AM   #531
carlitos
"ms divertido"

I've been listening to some podcasts relevant to this discussion. (I use Podcast on iPhone).

Behind the Bastards
Behind the Bastards did 3 episodes on Alex Jones. The last one featured the hosts of another podcast, Knowledge Fight, whose podcast goes waaaaaay into detail in analyzing Alex Jones' shows.

I'm a big fan of Behind the Bastards. Trying to find dark humor in some of the worst episodes in history is good for my soul. "Part 2" of the KKK episode was some of the funniest audio I have ever heard, which is weird to say.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2019, 09:07 PM   #532
Mumbles
Philosopher

The big payback

I have no idea if FB is inconsistent in it's banning policy. I do think that everyone feels that their own political group is disproportionally targeted.

Louis Farrakhan's official page was banned yesterday along with Alex Jones and Milo.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...agram-n1001311
I'll cosign luchog.

Y'all say "well what if they target leftist groups?" They have, for years. If you didn't notice, it's because you had no skin in the game, and you didn't care enough. Or, because you're a white nationalist yourself Either way

Wow, Farrakhan (who has a mixed and mostly negative record), along with Alex Jones and that Milo idiot.

You force me to defend Farrakhan.

What good deed did Jones or Milo ever do? Protect police from an antipathetic police force? Run off violent criminals? Even provide hope to people in prison, in exchange for allegiance to their weird cult?

Let's get to rights, I acnowledge that the NOI did, and *still* despise what they were, are, and will continue to be. And I've outlined what good they did, in this thread, while still saying that they were once, ultimately, helpful for good.

Can anyone say what Alex Jones, Spencer, or Milo whatever have done to help any community?

You likely cant. Other than the white nationalists screaming about him, I'd never speak a good word about him. As it is, I *have* to point out the good he's done, before condemning him.

We're actually fighting against a white nationalist, anti-Hispanic, anti-black, anti-LGBT move here. And the whiners are like the people who screamed at any black person attending a "white" college in the 60s. You're nothing new. The only question is wether or not society at large will accept it again. In the US...that's open to question.

Last edited by Mumbles; 11th May 2019 at 09:10 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 12:19 AM   #533
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Some communist country or other must've banned religion, and since Baylor thinks leftists are filthy Muslim-lovers above all else, he thinks that pointing out a country with a communist government has outlawed Islam is going to send leftists into one of those destructive logic-loop overloads that Captain Kirk used to break robots with on the TV. That's my guess, at least.
Sounds about right.
Old 12th May 2019, 12:23 AM   #534
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Apparently, these bannings have ruined the life of Laura Loomer. I have viewed this a few times, and it is apparently not a parody. She seems unwell.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

ETA - Maybe she has a point if the evil Twitter people somehow banned her from Uber eats.
She was banned from Uber Eats because she would berate any brown-skinned driver that delivered food to her door.

And yes, she is obviously not well. She needs help.

Last edited by Lambchops; 12th May 2019 at 12:24 AM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 02:24 AM   #535
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Maybe she should just get a job.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 02:46 AM   #536
dann
Philosopher

You don't think that whining on Youtube is a job?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2019, 03:00 AM   #537
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Maybe she should just get a job.
As much as I dislike her ****** views on the world, I honestly believe that she needs medical help. Therapy, drugs, both, whatever.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:44 AM   #538
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I'll cosign luchog.

Y'all say "well what if they target leftist groups?" They have, for years. If you didn't notice, it's because you had no skin in the game, and you didn't care enough. Or, because you're a white nationalist yourself Either way

Wow, Farrakhan (who has a mixed and mostly negative record), along with Alex Jones and that Milo idiot.

What good deed did Jones or Milo ever do? Protect police from an antipathetic police force? Run off violent criminals? Even provide hope to people in prison, in exchange for allegiance to their weird cult?

Let's get to rights, I acnowledge that the NOI did, and *still* despise what they were, are, and will continue to be. And I've outlined what good they did, in this thread, while still saying that they were once, ultimately, helpful for good.

Can anyone say what Alex Jones, Spencer, or Milo whatever have done to help any community?

You likely cant. Other than the white nationalists screaming about him, I'd never speak a good word about him. As it is, I *have* to point out the good he's done, before condemning him.

Snip snip.

If we want certain toxic people on the right to be banned, it follows that some on the left (though I wouldn't actually call Nation of Islam left wing) will too. Those platforms will need to protect themselves from any speech that could lead to violence and also need to project an image of impartiality.

Milo has added little good to this world, but he has also not stood in front of a stadium full of people and said 'Jews, when God puts you in the ovens, it will be forever'.

Farrakhan is a raging anti-semite and probably murdered his way into the position he is in.

I'm sure Farrakhan and nation of Islam have done good things for black communities and functioned as a means of organising against a disgustingly hostile culture and violently racist police force.

Nation of Islam has done good work and has a much cooler esthetic than most identitarian groups.

But if community activism and helping people is your criterium for excusing extremist groups, you can already start preparing for excusing Fascists, because they will eventually catch on to the fact that helping destitute people gets you credibility and followers.

From what I've learned, far-right extremist groups evolve and the internet helps them evolve much faster than before.

You see, you get a very low quality fascist in the US. You get seven overweight middle-aged guys in a minivan and swastika T-shirts. Here in Europe, we have fascist groups that have adopted a strategy of protecting young women going home from the club, and who are providing free medical care to poor people, free housing to homeless families (providing they are white of course).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3x-ge4w46E

The whole Richard Spencer thing around 2016 already seems to be moving in that direction (suits and ties). Is Richard Spencer going to be OK if he starts paying for dentists in rural Alabama?

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 13th May 2019 at 12:46 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 02:24 AM   #539
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Behind the Bastards did 3 episodes on Alex Jones. The last one featured the hosts of another podcast, Knowledge Fight, whose podcast goes waaaaaay into detail in analyzing Alex Jones' shows.

I'm a big fan of Behind the Bastards. Trying to find dark humor in some of the worst episodes in history is good for my soul. "Part 2" of the KKK episode was some of the funniest audio I have ever heard, which is weird to say.
I love how they pivot from the dark subject matter to the commercial breaks in a somewhat bashful manner.

'Yes, George Lincoln Rockwell was a disgusting horrible human being. But you know what's not disgusting and horrible? The fantastic products and services that you are about to hear about next!'
Old 13th May 2019, 03:08 AM   #540
Grey2000
Student

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If only there was a spurious rule of so to invoke.

In Nazism, the deaths are the goal.
Really ? Nobody has challenged this ?

No, in Nazism the deaths were/are not the goal. They're the twisted MEANS to the goal. The goal was/is their ideal of a utopian society.

The distinction is not nearly as sharp as you'd like it to be.
Grey2000 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 04:48 AM   #541
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Grey2000 View Post

No, in Nazism the deaths were/are not the goal. They're the twisted MEANS to the goal. The goal was/is their ideal of a utopian society.

Yeah, but the murdery parts are explicit rather than implicit.

And there is no escape. You can't change ethnicity, you can change social class.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 13th May 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:20 AM   #542
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Grey2000 View Post

The goal was to have no one they considered inferior, that could only be achieved by killing those they considered inferior, their goal can't be separated from their means, they are one and the same.
Old 13th May 2019, 04:40 PM   #543
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I've been reading a bit of Karl Popper lately, especially his opinions regarding tolerant societies. He argues that if we tolerate the intolerant, we will risk ultimately losing our tolerant society altogether.

Popper said
"Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. — In this formulation, I do not imply, for instance, that we should always suppress the utterance of intolerant philosophies; as long as we can counter them by rational argument and keep them in check by public opinion, suppression would certainly be unwise. But we should claim the right to suppress them if necessary even by force; for it may easily turn out that they are not prepared to meet us on the level of rational argument, but begin by denouncing all argument; they may forbid their followers to listen to rational argument, because it is deceptive, and teach them to answer arguments by the use of their fists or pistols. We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant."

The same could be argued about free speech. If a society allows unlimited, absolute free speech to everyone, then by default, it must extend that allowance to those who would ultimately wish to remove the right to free speech, and if that happens, society risks losing that right altogether.

This is what happened in Europe in the 1920's: Nazi's came to power from very small beginnings, from discussions in drinking establishments and poorly attended public meetings. Groups such as Freier Arbeiterausschuss fr einen guten Frieden, the Free Workers' Committee for a Good Peace) and Deutsche Arbeiterpartei (German Worker's Party) formed. Very minor, very low key, just like some of the extreme right wing groups we have today. These groups grew and grew, and after a few setbacks, ended up coming to power, and the result was total suppression of opposing views, and millions of people killed in ten years of Holocaust and five years of global warfare.

Americans probably see modern Nazi's as not unlike The Blues Brothers "Illinois Nazis", a bunch of incompetent, unintelligent man-children playing at being bad guys. I promise you, those in Europe have a very different view - they see the far right as a real threat, because they are.

In France, Marine Le Pen leads the National Front, a far right idealogical party that, under her, has distanced itself from the anti-Semitism of her father, and has instead, taken up opposition to immigration from the Middle East - they have simply replaced the Jew Boogeyman with the Muslim Boogeyman. The National Front is a neo-Nazi organisation in every way but name, and in the 2011 elections, they were the third most popular party - that's about the same level of support the Nazis had in the early 1930's Weimar Republic.

Do not dismiss neo-Nazis lightly!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th May 2019 at 04:42 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2019, 09:39 PM   #544
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The goal was to have no one they considered inferior, that could only be achieved by killing those they considered inferior, their goal can't be separated from their means, they are one and the same.
Yep. Grey2000 has obviously never heard of the Wannsee Conference, and what the Nazi's did there, which was to decide;

What they were going to do.
How they were going to do it.
Who they were going to do it to.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:57 AM   #545
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I've been reading a bit of Karl Popper lately, especially his opinions regarding tolerant societies. He argues that if we tolerate the intolerant, we will risk ultimately losing our tolerant society altogether.

Tolerance is not a moral absolute, it is a peace treaty.

Those who do not respect the peace treaty are not protected by it.

Taking "rights" as absolutes ultimately means that no one can have rights, because rights are going to inevitably conflict. "Your right to swing your fist ends at my nose," to quote a libertarian principle. If we cannot set appropriate boundaries for the exercise of rights, addressing the expected points of conflict with reasonable limitations and redress for violations, then we eventually only those strong enough to dominate in a conflict of rights will have them. At that point, they cease to become rights, and end up becoming privileges accorded only to the strongest, Might Makes Right(s).

We've seen this happen far too often. It happened in Nazi German, and it's happened numerous times throughout the US with the suppression of the rights of indigenous peoples, African slaves, and continues to happen to this day.

We already accept a large number of limitations on the exercise of our rights.

For example, free speech.

If there were no limits on where and to what extent this could be exercised, then you'd end up with me standing outside your window shouting at you through a megaphone at 4am. Or while standing in the middle of a city council meeting in session.

If there were no limits on what could be said, I could libel and slander you, ruin your reputation with specious claims and lies, and you would have no recourse.

I could spread conspiracy theories about prominent public figures or personal enemies and demand that they be assassinated.

We've seen what happens when people exercise their "free speech" without reasonable restrictions and limitations. We see bigots use their "free speech" to harass black and hispanic and LGBTQ people; up to and including getting them killed through lying to the police about threats, aka "swatting".

As a society we decide what the limitations on rights need to be to ensure that people are free to live their lives as they see fit, to maintain personal autonomy, while protecting the equal rights of others to do the same. We protect rights up until they interfere with the equal rights of others. Being imperfect humans means that we don't always get it right -- for example, the GW Bush administration's "free speech zone" legislation -- but we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We cannot get it perfect, but we can make changes as needed, as it becomes clear that threats exist and we understand better how to counter them.

Ignoring threats and letting them grow unchecked has never been an adequate counter.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 12:09 PM   #546
Carlotta
Thinker

This American takes the neo-nazis very seriously! I live less than two hours from Charlottesville, which I know and love. Liberal academic city on a hill. They are not a joke!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:22 PM   #547
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I Don't Speak German.
The creators of this podcast follow a number of Alt-Right Youtube personalities and Podcasters and chart the world of the Alt-Right. kind of what I did myself some years ago, but better.
https://podtail.com/podcast/i-don-t-speak-german/
The creators are waaaaaaaaaay to the left of me, and I don't always agree with their views, but on the whole, it is a very good effort and worth your time IMHO.

Behind the Bastards
The episodes about the US Nazi leader Rockwell was very interesting.
I used to think this guy was a joke (walking around in full Nazi uniform in 1960's America), but it seems he was actually very influential and pioneered extreme-right propaganda tactics that are very relevant today.
Highly recommended.
How many bad people on the far left have they covered.

Quote:
It Could Happen Here
Explores the potential for the growing divisions in US society going 'hot'.
Looks at the militia movement, amongst other things.
https://podtail.com/podcast/it-could-happen-here/
Also highly recommended.
Do they cover ANTIFA?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 03:25 PM   #548
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

I'll cosign luchog.

We're actually fighting against a white nationalist, anti-Hispanic, anti-black, anti-LGBT move here. And the whiners are like the people who screamed at any black person attending a "white" college in the 60s. You're nothing new. The only question is wether or not society at large will accept it again. In the US...that's open to question.
Besides Farrakhan, who are some of the leftists who have been deplatformed?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 08:11 PM   #549
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Besides Farrakhan, who are some of the leftists who have been deplatformed?

Richard Dawkins
Ward Churchill
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Bob Casey
William Ayers
Mumia Abu-Jamal
Jonny Moseley
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Greg Mortenson
Michael Moore
Gary Yourofsky
Jeremiah Wright
Scott Ritter
Alice Walker
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Anna Quindlen
Roberta Wilhelm
Marvin Casey
Robert Trivers
John Corvino
David Corn
Robert Hagan
Anita Sarkeesian
Eleanor Holmes Norton
Stanley Tucci
Norman Finkelstein
Tom Paulin
Tony Kushner

That enough for ya? There's plenty more if you want (that lot is just half way down the the page of 10 pages)

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th May 2019 at 08:39 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 08:45 PM   #550
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Richard Dawkins
Ward Churchill
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Bob Casey
William Ayers
Mumia Abu-Jamal
Jonny Moseley
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Greg Mortenson
Michael Moore
Gary Yourofsky
Jeremiah Wright
Scott Ritter
Alice Walker
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Anna Quindlen
Roberta Wilhelm
Marvin Casey
Robert Trivers
John Corvino
David Corn
Robert Hagan
Anita Sarkeesian
Eleanor Holmes Norton
Stanley Tucci
Norman Finkelstein
Tom Paulin
Tony Kushner

That enough for ya? There's plenty more if you want (that lot is just half way down the the page of 10 pages)
You're claiming these people are banned from FB?

Did I misread your post? The first two I checked, Dawkins and Corn have current FB pages.

I could see Mumia Abu-Jamal having an issue, but Doris Kerns-Goodwin?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th May 2019 at 08:47 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th May 2019, 08:54 PM   #551
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You're claiming these people are banned from FB?

Did I misread your post? The first two I checked, Dawkins and Corn have current FB pages.

I could see Mumia Abu-Jamal having an issue, but Doris Kerns-Goodwin?
Please look at the post I replied to!!!

Captain Howdy asked "who are some of the leftists who have been deplatformed?"

ALL of the people I listed are politically left or centre-left, and all had invitations for speaking engagements yanked after complaints from people on the right of the political spectrum.

Being banned from Facebook is not the only way of being deplatformed.

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th May 2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:05 PM   #552
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
"The fact that Xer cured cancer does not excuse their use of disposable plastics. The council has chosen to remove their statue. Those who object in writing, speech or thought shall be branded with the mark of Himmler and excluded from Universal Basic Income."
Been thinking about this series of posts the past few days, and brought up the ideas with someone yesterday too. Good contributions.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:30 PM   #553
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

ALL of the people I listed are politically left or centre-left, and all had invitations for speaking engagements yanked after complaints from people on the right of the political spectrum.

That's why I asked. All those !!! are uncalled for.
Old 14th May 2019, 10:53 PM   #554
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
I wonder how the people in this thread feels about twenty years of US troops in Iraq, or the fact that asian factories need to install "suicide nets" so we can all get affordable smartphones.
This is a derail. But since you brought it up...one year of US troops in Iraq or anywhere in the middle east is a waste of valuable resources. There are no US interests in the middle east that cannot be achieved by buying them. Which we would have the money to do if we didn't keep spending it on trying to provoke Syria and Iran into a war. The only legitimate interest the US has in the middle east is to prevent "refugees' from entering Europe. Doing business with asian countries is bad karma. Until their human rights and animal right record is on par with our own, we shouldn't buy anything from them or sell anything to them. If that means iphones cost $5,000 then that is what we should pay for it
Old 14th May 2019, 11:00 PM   #555
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Your knowledge of history is seriously lacking. Nobody they considered inferior? Only achieved by killing those they considered inferior? Do you have a source for this?
Old 14th May 2019, 11:22 PM   #556
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Richard Dawkins
Ward Churchill
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Bob Casey
William Ayers
Mumia Abu-Jamal
Jonny Moseley
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Greg Mortenson
Michael Moore
Gary Yourofsky
Jeremiah Wright
Scott Ritter
Alice Walker
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Anna Quindlen
Roberta Wilhelm
Marvin Casey
Robert Trivers
John Corvino
David Corn
Robert Hagan
Anita Sarkeesian
Eleanor Holmes Norton
Stanley Tucci
Norman Finkelstein
Tom Paulin
Tony Kushner

I haven't heard of most of those people and neither have you. Are you saying that none of these people have a presence on twitter, facebook, youtube, patreon, amazon, etc? When were they deplatformed? What was the reason? Remember, getting a warning from ISF doesn't count as a deplatforming.

To make it easy, let's narrow it down to three of the somebodys:

Norman Finkelstein (I'm guessing he's run into problems for calling out Israel as a white nationalist apartheid state. Not exactly a left wing issue)

Alice Walker

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Old 14th May 2019, 11:24 PM   #557
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

No, being banned from Facebook and all the major platforms is deplatforming. I thought that was obvious.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:35 PM   #558
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, being banned from Facebook and all the major platforms is deplatforming. I thought that was obvious.
No, it's not.

Quote:
To disinvite a speaker from an event, usually at a college or university campus, due to controversy surrounding their views.
Source

Okay, it's Urban Dictionary, but this source is up to date and accurate on slang terms originating from the Internet in a way that other sources are not.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:40 PM   #559
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Not to me it isn't, It has a wider meaning than just social media
deplatforming
Cancelling or disinviting someone to speak at an event - usually due to some form of offense committed by the speaker that would damage the reputation of the event sponsor or event theme.
https://www.definitions.net/definition/deplatforming

Deplatforming of invited speakers
Controversial speakers invited to appear on college campuses have faced deplatforming in the form of attempts to disinvite them or to prevent them from speaking. The British National Union of Students established its No Platform policy as early as 1973.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplat...vited_speakers

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th May 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:45 PM   #560
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Yeah, I have a friend who got suspended from Facebook for a (humerous) rant about white men.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events