IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bitcoin , cryptocurrency

Reply
Old 28th January 2022, 11:00 AM   #1761
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi
 
Solitaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,693
Just out of curiosity has psionl0 seen The Line Only Goes Up by Folding Ideas?

I takes crypto currency out of theory and put in terms of actual practice.
__________________
Currently thinking up a new signature line.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 05:41 PM   #1762
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The whole NFT "bored apes" craze is exactly like that.
Have you stopped talking about cryptos then?
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2022, 05:47 PM   #1763
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Just out of curiosity has psionl0 seen A video that runs for 2 hrs 18 mins?
ftfy.

Guess what my answer is.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2022, 05:49 PM   #1764
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 15,066
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Have you stopped talking about cryptos then?
My mistake, clearly the two aren't closely related
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2022, 06:27 PM   #1765
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
My mistake, clearly the two aren't closely related
Well, they both use the dreaded - blockchain
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2022, 07:50 AM   #1766
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Have you stopped talking about cryptos then?
What's the functional difference between a cryptocurrency and an NFT?

It seems to me that a cryptocurrency coin is a token that's tracked by a blockchain and that can be traded for real money or goods. Whereas an NFT is a token that's tracked by a blockchain and that can be traded fro real money or goods and is also a link to an image or a meme.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2022, 08:29 AM   #1767
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,342
I could be wrong, but the “link to an image or meme” is more of a courtesy than a requirement for an NFT. At least that’s my understanding.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2022, 08:37 AM   #1768
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I could be wrong, but the “link to an image or meme” is more of a courtesy than a requirement for an NFT. At least that’s my understanding.
As I understand it, there needs to be some sort of identifier associated with the NFT in order to make it non fungible (unlike Bitcoin where "coins" are essentially interchangeable). The Wikipedia pages tells me that it is (or was?) possible to use a URL for the purpose. Or maybe I'm conflating two things there.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2022, 10:06 AM   #1769
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
What's the functional difference between a cryptocurrency and an NFT?
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
As I understand it, there needs to be some sort of identifier associated with the NFT in order to make it non fungible (unlike Bitcoin where "coins" are essentially interchangeable).
It seems to me that you have answered your own question.

Incidentally, wherever there is the potential to make money, you will find scammers buzzing around. I would be surprised if NFTs were any different.

That doesn't change the fact that I keep pointing out that cryptos themselves are not a scam. Scammers may try to get you to part with your cryptos or the money you use to speculate in cryptos but it seems that too many people can't tell that this is a different thing (which applies to any form of money).
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 31st January 2022 at 10:13 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 02:02 AM   #1770
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It seems to me that you have answered your own question.

Incidentally, wherever there is the potential to make money, you will find scammers buzzing around. I would be surprised if NFTs were any different.

That doesn't change the fact that I keep pointing out that cryptos themselves are not a scam.
Well you keep saying it. I don't see how that makes the obvious scam not a scam.

Quote:
Scammers may try to get you to part with your cryptos or the money you use to speculate in cryptos but it seems that too many people can't tell that this is a different thing (which applies to any form of money).
If you buy cryptocurrency, you are doing nothing more than making a bet that somebody else is prepared to pay you more for the coins you bought than you paid for them. The name is "the bigger fool scam". You're gambling and it's not even a zero sum game because of the transaction fees. The same applies to NFTs.

Last edited by jeremyp; 1st February 2022 at 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 03:18 AM   #1771
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Well you keep saying it. I don't see how that makes the obvious scam not a scam.
That is only because you have refused to read the proof that it isn't.

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
If you buy cryptocurrency, you are doing nothing more than making a bet that somebody else is prepared to pay you more for the coins you bought than you paid for them. The name is "the bigger fool scam". You're gambling and it's not even a zero sum game because of the transaction fees. The same applies to NFTs.
What makes you think that repeating this nonsense for the millionth time will make it not nonsense?

The same people who think that they are so clever because they thought of this "bigger fool theory" get absolutely apoplectic when it is pointed out that exactly the same argument can be applied to stamp collecting or art etc.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975

Last edited by psionl0; 1st February 2022 at 03:20 AM.
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 04:26 AM   #1772
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,581
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
What's the functional difference between a cryptocurrency and an NFT?
The functional difference is that one is a newer scam primarily invented in order to drive new buyers into the other scam.

NFT's exist to convince people to buy cryptocurrency.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st February 2022 at 04:28 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 04:35 AM   #1773
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 27,581
The interesting thing about NFTs will be to see how long they, as a mechanism, will last before it runs out of abstract concepts to commodify.

The latest iteration of the grift is trying to convince people that they can literally own a color by minting a swatch of it as an NFT, and will be paid royalties every time any other NFT that contains a color with the same hexidecimal value is minted, sold, or traded. Evidently including back-royalties owed for transactions of already-existing NFTs.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st February 2022 at 04:36 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 04:40 AM   #1774
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The functional difference is that one is a newer scam primarily invented in order to drive new buyers into the other scam.
Who is running bitcoin?

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
NFT's exist to convince people to buy cryptocurrency.
Please link to the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 05:00 AM   #1775
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That is only because you have refused to read the proof that it isn't.
How can there be proof that a scam is not a scam?

Quote:

The same people who think that they are so clever because they thought of this "bigger fool theory" get absolutely apoplectic when it is pointed out that exactly the same argument can be applied to stamp collecting or art etc.
When you buy a stamp or art, you get a physical object and at least some people buy these things because they appreciate the physical object in some sense. Many people buy stamps not as speculation but because they collect them. Similarly some people buy art for their collections or even just because they like it.

NFTs and Bitcoin have no such intrinsic value.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 05:02 AM   #1776
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Who is running bitcoin?


Please link to the minutes of the meeting where this was discussed.
If you're perpetrating a scam, you aren't going to leave meeting minutes of the planning lying around.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 05:17 AM   #1777
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 15,066
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The functional difference is that one is a newer scam primarily invented in order to drive new buyers into the other scam.

NFT's exist to convince people to buy cryptocurrency.
Indeed. There's always some new hotness meant to draw in new rubes. The life cycle for people in this thing is probably pretty short. Suckers get drawn in, get fleeced, and are spit back out again. The only way to really make any money in these crypto market is to keep the flow of new suckers flowing, so big PR stunts like meme coins or NFTs or whatever comes next are necessary.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 05:57 AM   #1778
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
How can there be proof that a scam is not a scam?
See what I mean? You refuse to read the rebuttals.

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
When you buy a stamp or art, you get a physical object . . . . . ..


Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
If you're perpetrating a scam, you aren't going to leave meeting minutes of the planning lying around.
No such meeting ever occurred. There was never a conspiracy to make something, call it "NFT" so its sole purpose was to scam people.

You are just making up fairy tales.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 07:40 AM   #1779
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

No such meeting ever occurred. There was never a conspiracy to make something, call it "NFT" so its sole purpose was to scam people.
Yeah, I don't think you are wrong here.

Bitcoin and NFTs seem to have been created by people whose ideology I find totally misguided to say the least, but I'm not going to question their sincerity to their cause. Now, there is a crapton of shady stuff going in within that space because it's unregulated and just a sweet trap for the unwary, but that's more a side issue no matter how foreseeable it is.

Also I'm not going to sit here and talk about the use of fiat money being a massive human achievement and then turn around and criticize something else for being valuable only in the abstract. I think the good objections lie elsewhere.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 07:57 AM   #1780
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
See what I mean? You refuse to read the rebuttals.
I've read the rebuttals. They are not persuasive.

Quote:
What's so funny? I stated a fact. Cute gifs do not make an argument.

Quote:
No such meeting ever occurred. There was never a conspiracy to make something, call it "NFT" so its sole purpose was to scam people.

You are just making up fairy tales.
No. I'm looking at the characteristics of the system and inferring it is a scam from them. I don't know if some people deliberately decided to create the scam or if it's just an emergent property of the system.

The point is that, if you buy an Bitcoin or an NFT off me, for $x, the reason you are doing it is only because you think you can sell it to some bigger fool later for $x+Δ. I've scammed you and you are hoping to scam somebody else.

Last edited by jeremyp; 1st February 2022 at 07:58 AM.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:02 AM   #1781
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 15,066
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Yeah, I don't think you are wrong here.

Bitcoin and NFTs seem to have been created by people whose ideology I find totally misguided to say the least, but I'm not going to question their sincerity to their cause. Now, there is a crapton of shady stuff going in within that space because it's unregulated and just a sweet trap for the unwary, but that's more a side issue no matter how foreseeable it is.
I don't really see how this could be described as a side issue. The true believers wanted exactly this, a deregulated, decentralized libertarian dream world. The fact that it has rapidly devolved into a den of scammers and people profiteering off deliberately wasting energy and creating mountains of e-waste is the realization of the true believer's vision.

I don't know if this is what the true believers imagined their project would look like, but this is a pure manifestation of the techno-libertarian ideology. The plain fact that it's a totally unworkable, nightmare scenario that rewards the most unscrupulous... well I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about libertarianism as a political philosophy.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st February 2022 at 08:03 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:03 AM   #1782
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The point is that, if you buy an Bitcoin or an NFT off me, for $x, the reason you are doing it is only because you think you can sell it to some bigger fool later for $x+Δ.
I doubt there are a bunch of people around owning Amazon stock because they feel all fuzzy inside about the nature of that business.

I mean, there are valid criticisms of speculative economic behavior and I'm on board with that all day, but it isn't all that relevant to this specific class of asset just because it's value is abstract even as absurd as that abstraction may be. That people own weird pictures of apes or bitcoin because to them it has symbolic value as a statement against the present order is a valid a basis for value as anything else. The layers of speculation building on that can happen with anything.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:17 AM   #1783
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't really see how this could be described as a side issue. The true believers wanted exactly this, a deregulated, decentralized libertarian dream world. The fact that it has rapidly devolved into a den of scammers and people profiteering off deliberately wasting energy and creating mountains of e-waste is the realization of the true believer's vision.
That the free market would solve all of this were there no government to interfere being basically axiomatic for these people means never having to accept responsibility for foreseeable consequences.
Quote:

I don't know if this is what the true believers imagined their project would look like, but this is a pure manifestation of the techno-libertarian ideology. The plain fact that it's a totally unworkable, nightmare scenario that rewards the most unscrupulous... well I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about libertarianism as a political philosophy.

We arguably live in a "nightmare scenario that rewards the most unscrupulous" as it is. A lot of Libertarians seem to think think that if money were divorced totally from government that the unscrupulous would have less control.

Which is nuts IMO because all it would do is give the unscrupulous direct control without having to worry about pesky things like democracy and the rule of law getting in the way.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:27 AM   #1784
jeremyp
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I doubt there are a bunch of people around owning Amazon stock because they feel all fuzzy inside about the nature of that business.

I mean, there are valid criticisms of speculative economic behavior and I'm on board with that all day, but it isn't all that relevant to this specific class of asset just because it's value is abstract even as absurd as that abstraction may be. That people own weird pictures of apes or bitcoin because to them it has symbolic value as a statement against the present order is a valid a basis for value as anything else. The layers of speculation building on that can happen with anything.
Amazon is a company with assets, revenue and customers. When you buy Amazon stock, you own a small piece of that. When you buy an NFT, you aren't buying anything except a token. Some NFTs are effectively just URLs. There's nothing to say that the URL points to the ape picture or meme that you thought it did. There's nothing to stop the originator of the NFT from "minting" more NFTs that point to the same picture. There's no transfer of copyright. So what are you buying? Only the possibility of selling it later for more money to an even more gullible idiot.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:28 AM   #1785
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 39,269
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I doubt there are a bunch of people around owning Amazon stock because they feel all fuzzy inside about the nature of that business.
Yeah but again at least Amazon's stock value is (ostensibly) linked to their ability to do something. Amazon's stock is worth value because Amazon provides good and services and people are making guesses (way more random guesses then they admit in 99% of the cases but that's another topic) as to how much its goods and services are worth now and in the future.

An NFT or a Crypto coin is like buying stock in... nothing. They are not going to provide goods and services tomorrow that they aren't today or pretending that they might. There value is completely arbitrary.

Again it's the financial equivalent to the difference between being famous and being famous for being famous.

Amazon stock is like a celebrity. You can argue it's over or under valued or that celebrity is problematic but you understand why you've heard of their name.

Crypto and NFTs are Paris Hilton. Someone else just went "They they are famous now because we say so" and idiots went "Okay sure."
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 1st February 2022 at 08:29 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:34 AM   #1786
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 39,269
That's also why Crypto isn't a currency.

Yes the dollar is "fiat" but that's not the same thing as "Because I say so."

The dollar has value because the American economy and government have value and, we're back to this, they do things.

Crypto does not.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:44 AM   #1787
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics
 
psionl0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 31°57'S 115°57'E
Posts: 18,721
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
An NFT or a Crypto coin is like buying stock in... nothing.
This dissimilarity with a baby rattle is what the Luddites fear most. It is the reason why the same made-up BS is constantly recycled over and over again year in and year out.

Cryptos actually have utility. You can transfer large amounts of wealth to almost anywhere in the world without interference and in many cases, in complete privacy.

Of course, anybody wishing to do this will be branded "criminals" regardless of why they might want to this because that's what Luddites do.
__________________
"The process by which banks create money is so simple that the mind is repelled. Where something so important is involved, a deeper mystery seems only decent." - Galbraith, 1975
psionl0 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 08:52 AM   #1788
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 52,372
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I doubt there are a bunch of people around owning Amazon stock because they feel all fuzzy inside about the nature of that business.
But amazon has assets that they own a percentage of. There is something that is backed by something, the tangible assets and business revenue. When bitcoin starts paying out dividends then it will be a fair comparison.

Owning a percentage of a lot of things is still owning something. ANd for intellectual property it also fails because that would require bitcoin to be backed by government laws.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:01 AM   #1789
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 15,066
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah but again at least Amazon's stock value is (ostensibly) linked to their ability to do something. Amazon's stock is worth value because Amazon provides good and services and people are making guesses (way more random guesses then they admit in 99% of the cases but that's another topic) as to how much its goods and services are worth now and in the future.

An NFT or a Crypto coin is like buying stock in... nothing. They are not going to provide goods and services tomorrow that they aren't today or pretending that they might. There value is completely arbitrary.

Again it's the financial equivalent to the difference between being famous and being famous for being famous.

Amazon stock is like a celebrity. You can argue it's over or under valued or that celebrity is problematic but you understand why you've heard of their name.

Crypto and NFTs are Paris Hilton. Someone else just went "They they are famous now because we say so" and idiots went "Okay sure."
The crypto market is speculation without pretense.

Plenty of overt speculation and market manipulation happens on wall street, but like you describe, at the root of it all there is actually something of some value. People can play dumb games, like pumping up GameStop stocks as a meme, but there is at least something with some value. A business with assets and liabilities and future earning potential and etc. So while there is plenty of shady, purely speculative market game playing on the stock markets, there is also real value there.

Likewise with fine art. Sure, art pieces are used as money laundering vehicles or tax evasion vehicles, but at the core of all this is a real asset that has real value. People like art, will pay money to see and own art, and these things have some real value even if they are frequently used as financial vehicles.

Cypto is answering the question "what if we could have all the scammy horse-**** without having a core of real value". Different people may look at expensive art pieces and disagree on their artistic worth and value, but everyone agrees that algorithmically generated pictures of apes have 0 artistic value. There is no pretense at all in these schemes, just pure speculative fantasy. A truly spectacular accomplishment.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:21 AM   #1790
Dr.Sid
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Posts: 3,694
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The crypto market is speculation without pretense.

Plenty of overt speculation and market manipulation happens on wall street, but like you describe, at the root of it all there is actually something of some value. People can play dumb games, like pumping up GameStop stocks as a meme, but there is at least something with some value. A business with assets and liabilities and future earning potential and etc. So while there is plenty of shady, purely speculative market game playing on the stock markets, there is also real value there.

Likewise with fine art. Sure, art pieces are used as money laundering vehicles or tax evasion vehicles, but at the core of all this is a real asset that has real value. People like art, will pay money to see and own art, and these things have some real value even if they are frequently used as financial vehicles.

Cypto is answering the question "what if we could have all the scammy horse-**** without having a core of real value". Different people may look at expensive art pieces and disagree on their artistic worth and value, but everyone agrees that algorithmically generated pictures of apes have 0 artistic value. There is no pretense at all in these schemes, just pure speculative fantasy. A truly spectacular accomplishment.
Nonsense. Art may have quality. But no intrinsic value. Certainly not the value it sells for. That's all in eyes of beholder. If you just want to look at pretty picture, copy would have perfectly the same value. One thing art has common with crypto is scarcity, and how it is difficult to counterfeit. But that's not value by itself, that's more like prerequisite for any investment. With art, most, if not all of the value is just hype.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:24 AM   #1791
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But amazon has assets that they own a percentage of. There is something that is backed by something, the tangible assets and business revenue. When bitcoin starts paying out dividends then it will be a fair comparison.

Owning a percentage of a lot of things is still owning something. ANd for intellectual property it also fails because that would require bitcoin to be backed by government laws.
That's not why people own Amazon. The criticism was that most people who owned bitcoin were pure speculators, and the same is true with most people who own Amazon.

Amazon has never paid a dividend and has no plans to. Everyone is trying to come up with metrics to value a stock of companies that really aren't trying to be profitable as much as dominate all world commerce. Which, really, means that the difference between bitcoin and Amazon would be that Bitcoin hasn't managed to cause nearly as much misery or overall damage by reinventing their particular wheel to avoid checks on exploitative behavior.

The whole value of bitcoin is that it doesn't need to be backed by government laws. That's the point.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:24 AM   #1792
Chanakya

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,355
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I doubt there are a bunch of people around owning Amazon stock because they feel all fuzzy inside about the nature of that business.

I mean, there are valid criticisms of speculative economic behavior and I'm on board with that all day, but it isn't all that relevant to this specific class of asset just because it's value is abstract even as absurd as that abstraction may be. That people own weird pictures of apes or bitcoin because to them it has symbolic value as a statement against the present order is a valid a basis for value as anything else. The layers of speculation building on that can happen with anything.

As far as the highlighted, actually there are. I mean, this is Investments 101. People do buy stocks because they feel fuzzy about the business, that is to say about the financial potential of the business and well as the dividends they'll pay out. They also take into consideration the speculation value, and there are those that are solely speculators, but that is probably the case with just about any asset, including even something like real estate.

As an asset class, bitcoins suck --- unless you're a speculator, that is. Seen as an asset class, absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt they're a scam. Do they have any real worth as currency, is the question. After all that's what they were intended to be.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:40 AM   #1793
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 24,342
Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
Do they have any real worth as currency, is the question. After all that's what they were intended to be.
It's completely subjective, but to this day no one has ever told me the value of anything in bitcoin or ETH. Every news article has to have the parenthetical (dollars) in order to make it understandable what 0.017ETH is worth in the real world.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:40 AM   #1794
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 52,372
Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
That's not why people own Amazon. The criticism was that most people who owned bitcoin were pure speculators, and the same is true with most people who own Amazon.

Amazon has never paid a dividend and has no plans to. Everyone is trying to come up with metrics to value a stock of companies that really aren't trying to be profitable as much as dominate all world commerce. Which, really, means that the difference between bitcoin and Amazon would be that Bitcoin hasn't managed to cause nearly as much misery or overall damage by reinventing their particular wheel to avoid checks on exploitative behavior.

The whole value of bitcoin is that it doesn't need to be backed by government laws. That's the point.
And it doesn't need to have a stake in world commerce or anything else, it is pure speculation without all that ownership, and property BS.

The unendingly increasing stock value is certainly bubbleish and could well be driven by mostly speculation but there is still something there. Being the backbone of much of the internet is something, crypto does not have that something.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:46 AM   #1795
Suddenly
No Punting
 
Suddenly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Not In Follansbee
Posts: 4,756
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's also why Crypto isn't a currency.

Yes the dollar is "fiat" but that's not the same thing as "Because I say so."

The dollar has value because the American economy and government have value and, we're back to this, they do things.

Crypto does not.
The value of anything is not so much "because I say so" as much as "because we say so." We can allow that the American government and economy is the basis for saying that about the dollar, but this doesn't fix that there isn't any sort of concrete connection between the two. People I guess feel better about thinking in those terms but really it is a strong currency because of confidence and it works because it is totally abstract and not tied to anything concrete. That the US government could wreck it tomorrow is exactly why it works... the same reason a car is better with a driver even if that driver could decide to just swerve into oncoming traffic.

We've learned that tying the medium of exchange to something tangible (gold, etc.) causes some bad effects because the volume of currency can not be controlled to correspond with economic growth to avoid runaway inflation and more importantly any significant level of deflation.

The irony being that bitcoin would be a lousy currency not because the value is too abstract but because it is too concrete as math problems and a ledger is the same driverless car as is the gold standard.


The store of value asset is a different thing. It is exactly like beanie babies or art or baseball cards or whatever. The value is in the eye of the holder and solely depends on demand. It isn't like the raw materials making up the Mona Lisa have all that much utility were people to decide it is just a silly picture.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 09:58 AM   #1796
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 39,269
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The crypto market is speculation without pretense.
It's speculations without anything to actually speculate on. It's speculating on other people's speculation at best.

Quote:
Cypto is answering the question "what if we could have all the scammy horse-**** without having a core of real value".
It's like someone looked at high end Wall Street Capitalism and went "You know what the worst part of this is? The part where you actually produce things. Can we get rid of that?"

High finance has always been a wizards duel puppet theater, but crypto is that without even the vaguest pretense that anything it is doing is connect to any real world factor or value.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 10:01 AM   #1797
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 39,269
Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Nonsense. Art may have quality. But no intrinsic value. Certainly not the value it sells for. That's all in eyes of beholder. If you just want to look at pretty picture, copy would have perfectly the same value. One thing art has common with crypto is scarcity, and how it is difficult to counterfeit. But that's not value by itself, that's more like prerequisite for any investment. With art, most, if not all of the value is just hype.
We're not going to explain the difference between naturally occurring scarcity and artificially produced scarcity.

If you need this concept explained to you I will require you buy all of my 90s Image and McFarlane Comics for what people were telling me they were going to be worth in the future as a consultant fee before I continue.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 1st February 2022 at 10:08 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 11:13 AM   #1798
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,495
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
An NFT or a Crypto coin is like buying stock in... nothing. They are not going to provide goods and services tomorrow that they aren't today or pretending that they might. There value is completely arbitrary.
This is wrong, and shows your complete and total ignorance of how NFTs and Crypto works. I'm not going to piss into the wind, which is what debating you on this topic is the equivalence of, but I just want you to know that this is a ******** statement.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 11:15 AM   #1799
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 39,269
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This is wrong, and shows your complete and total ignorance of how NFTs and Crypto works. I'm not going to piss into the wind, which is what debating you on this topic is the equivalence of, but I just want you to know that this is a ******** statement.
This isn't like the second pissy "I'm not going to talk to" post you've made today.

Then ******* don't. Nobody is trying to make you talk to anyone.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2022, 11:24 AM   #1800
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 12,495
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This isn't like the second pissy "I'm not going to talk to" post you've made today.
Oh good, another Joe Morgue "I make **** up and put it in between quotations to imply that people who disagree with me are saying **** that they aren't saying to imply they're unreasonable, and for some reason I can't post a single post without doing this same format of throwing words in quotations because it's super ******* witty and totally not excessively played out" type of post.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Then ******* don't. Nobody is trying to make you talk to anyone.
I will post whenever I ******* feel like it Joe. Whenever I feel like it.

The fact is you are completely and entirely unable to understand that NFTs are more than just artwork. You're like...******* stuck on just thinking that when there are a ton of NFTs that have services and uses. Some as simple as just playing a video game. The same video games you can find other places, except you won't need to buy the whole game, you can just dabble. There are airdrops that provide more facets to an NFT to use in metaverses that are just like every MMO in the world, and can generally cost the user less to play than a standard MMO (for full service anyway).

Anyway, I'll be ready and waiting your next nonsensical phrase shoved between quotes. It seriously never gets old. Ever.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.