ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Recep Erdogan , Turkey issues , Turkey politics

Old 14th June 2017, 07:49 AM   #161
FenerFan
Master Poster

Well, it's a done deal. Actually, it's been done for almost a month now.

Quote:
In a signal that Turkey faces indefinite rule by decree, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced on Sunday that a state of emergency, introduced as a temporary measure after last year’s failed coup, would continue until the country achieved “welfare and peace.”
Despite international criticism of these measures, Mr. Erdogan said on Sunday that the state of emergency “will not be lifted,” according to Anadolu Agency, a state-owned news wire. “Until when? Until the situation reaches welfare and peace.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/w...emergency.html

As dudalb posted, a classic dictatorial move. "Welfare and peace." I guess I have to do my part and help achieve some. Something tells me it won't happen anytime soon, if ever. At least not until the next national elections, which I'm sure will be as fair as the recent referendum vote.
Mission completed.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:11 PM   #162
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by FenerFan View Post
Well, it's a done deal. Actually, it's been done for almost a month now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/w...emergency.html

As dudalb posted, a classic dictatorial move. "Welfare and peace." I guess I have to do my part and help achieve some. Something tells me it won't happen anytime soon, if ever. At least not until the next national elections, which I'm sure will be as fair as the recent referendum vote.
Mission completed.
Yay.

Since Turkey is facing a constant state of near civil war with the Kurds, this indeed means a permanent state of emergency. Turkey has gone down the rabbit hole for the foreseeable future.

Erdogan might do well to check what was one of the key demands of protests at the start of the Syrian civil war. Turkey is headed in the same direction.

McHrozni
Old 24th June 2017, 09:54 AM   #163
Garrison
Illuminator

And things are going steadily downhill:

Passions flare as Turkey excludes evolution from textbooks
Quote:
On Wednesday, the head of the education ministry's curriculum board Alpaslan Durmuş announced that a section on Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution would be excluded from biology textbooks in the ninth grade (14 and 15 year olds) from next year on.
Students are "too young to understand 'controversial subjects'", he said, adding that the topic will be delayed until undergraduate study.
Old 5th July 2017, 08:34 AM   #164
Degeneve
Muse

Apparently the Turkish ministry of education has decided that the evolution theory would not be taught in schools as from 2019.

I guess that the sales in Turkey of Adnan Oktar’s book “The Atlas of Creation” will increase in the years to come…
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 05:29 AM   #165
Degeneve
Muse

17 journalists of the oldest Turkish newspaper Cumhuriyet face since yesterday a trial under charges of being members of terrorist networks.
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 05:35 AM   #166
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
17 journalists of the oldest Turkish newspaper Cumhuriyet face since yesterday a trial under charges of being members of terrorist networks.
Could you link news like these to an English-languague media outlet, or at least a Granslate page? I'd love to read more on these antics.

Thanks

McHrozni
Old 25th July 2017, 06:55 AM   #167
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Could you link news like these to an English-languague media outlet, or at least a Granslate page? I'd love to read more on these antics.

Thanks

McHrozni
Here it is: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e-trial-starts

And a couple more: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40699368

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ice-cumhuriyet
Old 25th July 2017, 11:44 PM   #168
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
Ty

It seems to be a witch hunt indeed.

McHrozni
Old 19th August 2017, 05:23 PM   #169
Belgian thought
Graduate Poster

And it is getting worse - I just hope Spain is merely going though the motion and will throw the case out of court.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40990083

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics