ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 5th September 2017, 02:22 PM   #2921
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

So basically... "It's okay when people I like engage do it against people I dislike, otherwise it's never okay"

Very principled position.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:34 PM   #2922
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
So basically... "It's okay when people I like engage do it against people I dislike, otherwise it's never okay"

Very principled position.
That's not my position.

If Nazis are parading outside a synagogue, their purpose is intimidation; they are trying to threaten the Jews of that synagogue. I think it is reasonable for any Jews to attack them in self defence. I think it is reasonable for other people to attack them in defence of the Jews.

If Nazis are attacking nonviolent protesters, I think it is reasonable to defend the nonviolent protesters.

In both these situations, it would be better for the police to arrest the Nazis, but if that is not happening, then I don't see why the Nazis should be allowed impunity.

If a Nazi is giving a speech, but they are not threatening anyone, then it is not alright to attack them. Mock them, yes, drown out their speech, yes. But not attack them. If they are giving a speech and are threatening someone, then it is reasonable to attack them in self-defence or defence of others.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 02:55 PM   #2923
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That's not my position.

If Nazis are parading outside a synagogue, their purpose is intimidation; they are trying to threaten the Jews of that synagogue. I think it is reasonable for any Jews to attack them in self defence. I think it is reasonable for other people to attack them in defence of the Jews.

If Nazis are attacking nonviolent protesters, I think it is reasonable to defend the nonviolent protesters.

In both these situations, it would be better for the police to arrest the Nazis, but if that is not happening, then I don't see why the Nazis should be allowed impunity.

If a Nazi is giving a speech, but they are not threatening anyone, then it is not alright to attack them. Mock them, yes, drown out their speech, yes. But not attack them. If they are giving a speech and are threatening someone, then it is reasonable to attack them in self-defence or defence of others.
Sounds a bit like pre-emptive self defense to me.

In my opinion, the only justification would be the sort of self-defense that would hold up in court. I'm not sure any of the Charlottesville violence would meet the criteria for legitimate self defense, with the possible exception of those who were defending the human chain park blockaders.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 03:02 PM   #2924
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Sounds a bit like pre-emptive self defense to me.

In my opinion, the only justification would be the sort of self-defense that would hold up in court. I'm not sure any of the Charlottesville violence would meet the criteria for legitimate self defense, with the possible exception of those who were defending the human chain park blockaders.
It has occurred to me a few times that Liberals are growing more and more fond of the Bush Doctrine.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 04:11 PM   #2925
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tate-troopers/

"While the preliminary report did not include a cause, investigators said there was no indication that the Aug. 12 crash was the result of a mid-air collision with another aircraft, animal or object. "
So it look like helicopters do fall out of the sky without being shot down by protestors.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 07:07 PM   #2926
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I watched a few more youtube Charlottesville videos. A couple of observations:

There were some seriously stupid people in that city that day. I mean, I'm sure everyone knew that, but actually seeing evidence of it right in front of you really drives it home. Bigly stupid.

In terms of credit, blame, or finger pointing, I definitely hope the police department of Charlottesville, and whatever city is next on the hate parade, takes a good look at their report. I really have a pretty dim view of their actions that day. First, they stood by activities where you could see a fight was about to erupt, and did nothing, even after it erupted, and even when they had a sizeable force that could have separated the camps without a significant threat to safety.

I was specifically looking for locked arm counterprotestors blocking paths, and white supremacists attempting breakthroughs. Some of those situations persisted for long periods, and cops were present, and they did nothing. They should have stepped in and either told the Nazis to go a different route, or told the blockers to let the Nazis through. Instead, they sat still and let the fights erupt. Really bad plan.

And then when the assembly was declared unlawful, what did they do? They forced the Nazis out of the park, into the streets crowded with counterdemonstrators. That ended predictably.

And who pees into a water balloon that they intend to throw on a city street? Talk about deplorable.

Finally, as an SCA member, it was really funny watching shield walls face off. I had thought only the Nazi side had shields, but antifa types did too. All of those guys could use some training. The cops' shield walls looked pretty good, but the demonstrators and counterdemonstrators were really ragged. Funnier, though, was all the tribal displays. The attempts to grab the other team's symbols, by stealing shields, or flags. It was funny to watch. One antifa guy slipped right inside the Nazi shield wall and stripped a flag right off the pole before escaping, much to the consternation of the Nazi bearer. It's probably hanging in his bedroom now.

All in all, a very bizarre thing to watch. It was some seriously primitive behavior.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 07:26 PM   #2927
Thermal
Master Poster

...Funnier, though, was all the tribal displays. The attempts to grab the other team's symbols, by stealing shields, or flags. It was funny to watch. One antifa guy slipped right inside the Nazi shield wall and stripped a flag right off the pole before escaping, much to the consternation of the Nazi bearer. It's probably hanging in his bedroom now.

All in all, a very bizarre thing to watch. It was some seriously primitive behavior.
There was some discussion on an earlier antifa thread about this trophy-taking. Back in the day, it used to be called scalping. Some posters here seemed to think it was literally some kind of physical threat. They actually refused to accept that these trophies were coveted spoils for these knuckleheads.

Previously known as MostlyDead. Feeling better now.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th September 2017, 07:44 PM   #2928
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

I watched a few more youtube Charlottesville videos. A couple of observations:

There were some seriously stupid people in that city that day. I mean, I'm sure everyone knew that, but actually seeing evidence of it right in front of you really drives it home. Bigly stupid.

In terms of credit, blame, or finger pointing, I definitely hope the police department of Charlottesville, and whatever city is next on the hate parade, takes a good look at their report. I really have a pretty dim view of their actions that day. First, they stood by activities where you could see a fight was about to erupt, and did nothing, even after it erupted, and even when they had a sizeable force that could have separated the camps without a significant threat to safety.

I was specifically looking for locked arm counterprotestors blocking paths, and white supremacists attempting breakthroughs. Some of those situations persisted for long periods, and cops were present, and they did nothing. They should have stepped in and either told the Nazis to go a different route, or told the blockers to let the Nazis through. Instead, they sat still and let the fights erupt. Really bad plan.

And then when the assembly was declared unlawful, what did they do? They forced the Nazis out of the park, into the streets crowded with counterdemonstrators. That ended predictably.

And who pees into a water balloon that they intend to throw on a city street? Talk about deplorable.
Yeah, considering I've seen them come in swinging batons when it's just one group and nobody's broken any windows yet, their stunning lack of engagement that day was either comically inept or deviously intentional.

Quote:
Finally, as an SCA member, it was really funny watching shield walls face off. I had thought only the Nazi side had shields, but antifa types did too. All of those guys could use some training. The cops' shield walls looked pretty good, but the demonstrators and counterdemonstrators were really ragged. Funnier, though, was all the tribal displays. The attempts to grab the other team's symbols, by stealing shields, or flags. It was funny to watch. One antifa guy slipped right inside the Nazi shield wall and stripped a flag right off the pole before escaping, much to the consternation of the Nazi bearer. It's probably hanging in his bedroom now.
Yeah, definitely in need of a few bridge/gatehouse melees for practice.

I have fond memories of going to War of the Lilies (Smithville Lake, Missouri) as a young boy. Barony of the Forgotten Sea in the Kingdom of Calontir!

Quote:
It's hard not to get sucked in, we are herd creatures.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2017, 12:33 AM   #2929
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post

All of which are already the case.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Then we are in agreement.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:15 AM   #2930
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
That's not my position.

But you have to remember it is crazy talk that jews would find nazis threatening. Being surrounded by people chanting for you death is so relaxing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:39 AM   #2931
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
This is a case where one person is on the ground being beaten by clubs. There's nothing that can justify that.
That's funny because I have it on good authority that you can punch Nazis simply for having an opinion.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Come on, we both know that you were trying to set up a gotcha. It was really transparent.
You set yourself up, by being inconsistent.

Last edited by Argumemnon; 11th September 2017 at 04:40 AM.
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:45 AM   #2932
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's funny because I have it on good authority that you can punch Nazis simply for having an opinion.
And that is problematic because most nazis are really good people like the president says. They just object to non people like jews replacing them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 09:22 AM   #2933
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But you have to remember it is crazy talk that jews would find nazis threatening. Being surrounded by people chanting for you death is so relaxing.
That so true. People who call for violence, like the vile slime you see here, cannot be tolerated. If we don't bash their heads in today they will just keep chanting tomorrow.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 10:56 AM   #2934
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
That so true. People who call for violence, like the vile slime you see here, cannot be tolerated. If we don't bash their heads in today they will just keep chanting tomorrow.
Yes, because calls for violence against people who are of different races or ethnicities is the exact moral equivalent as calls for violence against people making those calls for violence.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 11:13 AM   #2935
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Yes, because calls for violence against people who are of different races or ethnicities is the exact moral equivalent as calls for violence against people making those calls for violence.
People who hate nazis and white supremacists are the real bigots of course.
Old 11th September 2017, 07:52 PM   #2936
Mumbles
Illuminator

And that is problematic because most nazis are really good people like the president says. They just object to non people like jews replacing them.
...Wait, so are the jews trying to replace them directly, like "Hahaha, I've taken your job, I'm a jew!" And then they crash through the ceiling tiles and plant the jew flag in front of the Target cash register?

Or are the jews replacing the Tiki-American crowd with some other non-white group or other, like "Hahaha, I'm giving your job to a negro, and giving him a white woman, I'm a jew!"

I was assuming the latter, since that's the usually role jewish people play in the fever-dreams of these violent lunatics, but their neo-nazi chants didn't really specify...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 09:51 PM   #2937
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

People who hate nazis and white supremacists are the real bigots of course.
I've encountered plenty of conservatives who sincerely believe that people who don't tolerate white supremacists are just as bad as white supremacists.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 03:54 AM   #2938
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I've encountered plenty of conservatives who sincerely believe that people who don't tolerate white supremacists are just as bad as white supremacists.
It is a standard argument.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:55 AM   #2939
Mumbles
Illuminator

I've seen much of the same.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 11:40 AM   #2940
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Good. You understand that calls for violence are calls for violence.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 04:12 PM   #2941
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I've seen much of the same.
I haven't, although I've seen plenty of liberals make substantially the same claim.

What I've seen is lots of conscientious people who value principles and sincerely believe that one's beliefs should never be a justification for depriving that person of their civil liberties, no matter how odious those beliefs are to others.
Old 12th September 2017, 04:16 PM   #2942
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Good. You understand that calls for violence are calls for violence.

Your reading comprehensions seems to be (deliberately, I suspect) infantile.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2017, 08:05 PM   #2943
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't, although I've seen plenty of liberals make substantially the same claim.

What I've seen is lots of conscientious people who value principles and sincerely believe that one's beliefs should never be a justification for depriving that person of their civil liberties, no matter how odious those beliefs are to others.
I've seen both liberals and conservatives make similar claims, but I agree with the second paragraph above.
Old 13th September 2017, 03:49 AM   #2944
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But is it ok to call nazis deplorable yet as opposed to a year ago when calling nazis deplorable was hugely offensive?
Old 13th September 2017, 03:52 AM   #2945
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

More conservatives and cops show their true feelings about the acceptability of running down protestors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.39b0903c7df9

At least they are not punching people, that would be totally unacceptable. Crushing them under cars is just funny.
Old 13th September 2017, 07:19 AM   #2946
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

More conservatives and cops show their true feelings about the acceptability of running down protestors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.39b0903c7df9

At least they are not punching people, that would be totally unacceptable. Crushing them under cars is just funny.

Just a mistake. No harm intended. (Reminiscent of banana peels in trees?)
Quote:
Others downplayed the post as an accident that was getting blown out of proportion.
“My god people, it was an accident. I know I’m far from perfect. The next time you error I hope you get publicity ridiculed,” another Facebook user wrote. “Do you truly believe the county or the employee involved would purposely do this. Put on your grown up cloths, take it for what it is and move on. Stop being butt hurt at every opportunity. Our country has bigger issues than a misplaced post.”
And the totally innocent poster of this mistake was 'quick to take responsibility' ...
Quote:
“I was on my personal page, went to share….must have hit share to a page you manage rather than just the share….I didn’t see that I had done this until I got a phone call — it was meant to be shared with a cousin of mine….now I’m trying to figure out how to unlink my personal and work facebook pages….so it will never happen again,” the county account wrote in a reply to a Facebook user.
Apparently the idea that it might be no less offensive just because it was being shared between friends didn't occur to them.

It is fascinating to see the instinct some people have to jump in to explain this sort of thing away as perfectly harmless. "They didn't mean anything by it." "Just a joke."

The idea that what was said might have actually been what was meant is apparently (always?) just too ridiculous to contemplate.

And ever questioning their sincerity at all is just too ridiculous, as well.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:20 AM   #2947
CaptainHowdy
Muse

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Your reading comprehensions seems to be (deliberately, I suspect) infantile.
Militant consistency is what it is called. Equal justice under the law. No double standards. That sort of thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics