ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th May 2020, 04:24 PM   #1
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Committing Armed Robbery While Black

Giants CB Deandre Baker, Seahawks CB Quinton Dunbar facing multiple armed robbery charges

This is pretty stupid. Glad they didn't kill anyone, except their own future and careers.

Quote:
The New York Giants’ Deandre Baker and Seattle Seahawks’ Quinton Dunbar are each facing four counts of armed robbery with a firearm, while Baker is facing an additional four counts of aggravated assault with a firearm, after the two allegedly robbed guests at a party in Miramar, Florida, the Miramar police department said on Thursday.
Note they are saying allegedly. I guess it could be a hoax of some kind.
Old 15th May 2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Can't decide which shows more hubris: running with a #WhileBlack, or linking to an AOL article.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 09:25 PM   #3
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Unbelievable
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2020, 10:51 PM   #4
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Extraordinarily stupid if true, which it probably is.

Thread title should be changed to Committing Armed Robbery While Wealthy.

Last edited by sir drinks-a-lot; 15th May 2020 at 10:52 PM.
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 02:20 AM   #5
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Far from the first black pro athletes to end up with horrible criminal convictions. It’s routine for black NFL players to get gun charges, beating, sexual assault, etc.

Almost as though poverty is not what causes crimes like these...
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 03:04 AM   #6
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

Of course it wouldn't be long until the first "Look here, black people commit crimes"-thread.
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Can't decide which shows more hubris: running with a #WhileBlack, or linking to an AOL article.
Which was sourced from Yahoo! Oh, my!

Which news source do you feel would have made it more newsworthy?

If you don't think it's newsworthy, does that imply you think it's just an everyday thing?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 16th May 2020 at 07:13 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 07:45 AM   #8
Garb
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Far from the first black pro athletes to end up with horrible criminal convictions. It’s routine for black NFL players to get gun charges, beating, sexual assault, etc.

Almost as though poverty is not what causes crimes like these...
True, black people are just naturally criminals, amirite?

But I blew up the apartment. Only way to be safe.
-kookbreaker
Garb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 07:59 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Did the DA come out with a letter explaining charges would not be pursued because they were standing their ground while open carrying?

This is newsworthy because the people involved were professional athletes and therefore celebrities. The fact that a crime was committed and an arrest made is not exceptional in any way.
Old 16th May 2020, 08:33 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
Of course it wouldn't be long until the first "Look here, black people commit crimes"-thread.
OLOL. "It wouldn't be long". It's been going on for years, actually. You joined during a brief lull. Welcome to the forums!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 08:35 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Did the DA come out with a letter explaining charges would not be pursued because they were standing their ground while open carrying?.
Not that I know of. On the other hand, I don't think the DA came out with a letter explaining that she was going to recuse herself and that the charges were being dismissed in exchange for community service already performed.

So the whole thing seems pretty even-handed to me.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 10:55 AM   #12
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Which was sourced from Yahoo! Oh, my!

Which news source do you feel would have made it more newsworthy?

If you don't think it's newsworthy, does that imply you think it's just an everyday thing?
Was just kidding about AOL. The LWB thing...well, come on. You're just asking for it there.

It's certainly newsworthy. What interests me is the lack of narrative. White on black LWB stories come with a prepackaged interpretation. Black guys committing senseless violent crime? No narrative. Almost like it is expected. Which is why I find it so condescending to POC and argue about it thread after thread.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 11:53 AM   #13
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Just an everyday armed robbery, where two NFL starting players under contract (plus an accomplice) who are guests at a party suddenly jump up and point automatics at some of their fellow guests, steal their watches (an $18K Rolex, a $17K Audemars Piguet and a $25K Hublot) and $12K of their pocket change, then escape separately in a Mercedes Benz, a BMW, and a Lamborghini. I'm guessing their weapons were Gucci automatics loaded with jeweled Fabergé rounds, because the robbers wouldn't want them to stand out.

Worst remake of The Thomas Crown Affair ever.

Last edited by Myriad; 16th May 2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: misspelled the film title
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 02:56 PM   #14
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Was just kidding about AOL. The LWB thing...well, come on. You're just asking for it there.

It's certainly newsworthy. What interests me is the lack of narrative. White on black LWB stories come with a prepackaged interpretation. Black guys committing senseless violent crime? No narrative. Almost like it is expected. Which is why I find it so condescending to POC and argue about it thread after thread.
Is there a narrative worth discussing?

The narrative for this story seems to be "Young black men piss away their bright futures committing senseless crime".

A bit salacious, considering the higher profile of those involved and the seeming pettiness of their actions, but not exactly a story prodding at the heart of the nation.

Are there a bunch of prominent groups coming to the defense of these athletes, alleging their obvious crimes aren't crimes? Are local cops looking the other way? Are DA's putting their thumbs on the scale to make it go away?

Is this case a good stand-in for an under-considered issue of national importance? Are these men being held up as champions or martyrs of some wider social movement?

To all counts, it seems not. Then why should anyone really care? Criminals commit crime and get standard treatment by criminal justice system is not really interesting. What's to discuss?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th May 2020 at 02:59 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 07:33 PM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Just an everyday armed robbery, where two NFL starting players under contract (plus an accomplice) who are guests at a party suddenly jump up and point automatics at some of their fellow guests, steal their watches (an $18K Rolex, a $17K Audemars Piguet and a $25K Hublot) and $12K of their pocket change, then escape separately in a Mercedes Benz, a BMW, and a Lamborghini. I'm guessing their weapons were Gucci automatics loaded with jeweled Fabergé rounds, because the robbers wouldn't want them to stand out.

Worst remake of The Thomas Crown Affair ever.

I am deliberately never ever going to learn the details of this story because I want your post to remain my mental narrative for always.

I would hope that they divvied up the watches that best matched each vehicle. Rolex-Mercedes, Hublot - BMW ( maybe the Lambo but only if it was one of the carbon fiber ones), and the Audemars-Piguet (assuming Royal Oak Offshore of course) goes to the Lambo driver. Well done, sirs.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2020, 07:35 PM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
This gets them at least 5 points they can cash in against the next black person shot for no reason to prove it's not about race.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 12:29 AM   #17
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garb View Post
True, black people are just naturally criminals, amirite?
Broad strokes, they don't have the impulse control and ability to delay gratification that other people seem to have. This can lead to making poor decisions, including criminal behavior. Call me racist for saying it but that doesn't make it not true.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:56 AM   #18
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Broad strokes, they don't have the impulse control and ability to delay gratification that other people seem to have. This can lead to making poor decisions, including criminal behavior. Call me racist for saying it but that doesn't make it not true.
Well there is no evidence for your claim, so I would call you biased and uninformed (and racist, of course)
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 01:57 AM   #19
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This gets them at least 5 points they can cash in against the next black person shot for no reason to prove it's not about race.
Yeah, I feel that's how they think it works.
Old 17th May 2020, 02:30 AM   #20
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I am deliberately never ever going to learn the details of this story because I want your post to remain my mental narrative for always.

I would hope that they divvied up the watches that best matched each vehicle. Rolex-Mercedes, Hublot - BMW ( maybe the Lambo but only if it was one of the carbon fiber ones), and the Audemars-Piguet (assuming Royal Oak Offshore of course) goes to the Lambo driver. Well done, sirs.

The details of the watches, vehicles, and amount of cash might not be correct, but they all come directly from the witness statements cited in the arrest warrants.
Old 17th May 2020, 06:27 AM   #21
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I guess, if you're keeping score..
Old 17th May 2020, 06:29 AM   #22
carlitos
"más divertido"

never mind

Last edited by carlitos; 17th May 2020 at 06:30 AM. Reason: deleted
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2020, 07:10 AM   #23
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
never mind

Not at all. If you think I have the imagination to make that up, I'm quite honored.
Old 17th May 2020, 04:56 PM   #24
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Bail set for DeAndre Baker, Quinton Dunbar after arrests
There is always more to the story..

Quote:
Lawyers for both Baker and Dunbar maintained at the bail hearing that their clients are innocent of the charges.
And..

Quote:
“At some point there was an argument that arose between some of the parties that were playing the dice game,” it read, via ESPN. “I was never in fear for my life in any situation that happened that day and DeAndre Baker did not take any property from me and did not point a gun at anyone.”
I want to believe these guys are not as stupid as the incident as reported would have you to believe.
Old 17th May 2020, 08:19 PM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a narrative worth discussing?

The narrative for this story seems to be "Young black men piss away their bright futures committing senseless crime".

A bit salacious, considering the higher profile of those involved and the seeming pettiness of their actions,
Ya think if Kirsten Bell robbed the guests at an Oscars after party at gunpoint that this would be a back page story?

Quote:
but not exactly a story prodding at the heart of the nation.

Are there a bunch of prominent groups coming to the defense of these athletes, alleging their obvious crimes aren't crimes? Are local cops looking the other way? Are DA's putting their thumbs on the scale to make it go away?

Is this case a good stand-in for an under-considered issue of national importance? Are these men being held up as champions or martyrs of some wider social movement?
Compared to, say, a HomeOwners Association twat that delays a delivery truck, you mean? No, I don't see what you are describing. Because no groups/prosecutors/cops have latched onto the story. Because it is stupid. There is no poignant story there. But the HOA story sure does get a prepackaged (BS) narrative attached to it. Gratuitously.

Quote:
To all counts, it seems not. Then why should anyone really care? Criminals commit crime and get standard treatment by criminal justice system is not really interesting. What's to discuss?
I would say its a hell of a lot more intriguing than some impotent busybody HOA doofus. Just the discussion alone of why one is more significant than the other, or why one is worthy of being assigned a narrative and the other a snoozer is sociologically interesting.

Why should anyone care about some little Napoleon in a gated community, like all the other little Napoleons? But a first round draft pic who orchestrates an armed robbery where he is a guest of partygoers who were remarkably well heeled, surely ending his promising career? Or even if a hoax, then shades of Smollett, and interesting in that way.

eta: forgot:

Quote:
Seriously, seriously doubt their futures were bright, cause if this story is true, these are the two dumbest mother ******* ever to stagger out of Miami.

Last edited by Thermal; 17th May 2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 18th May 2020, 01:28 AM   #26
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Bail set for DeAndre Baker, Quinton Dunbar after arrests
There is always more to the story..

And..

I want to believe these guys are not as stupid as the incident as reported would have you to believe.
Are we allowed to say at this point that the whole crime is now obviously revealed as a fabricated hoax, and the racists have beclowned themselves by falling for it? Because we all know that's what they'd do at this point in the thread.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2020, 04:41 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Ya think if Kirsten Bell robbed the guests at an Oscars after party at gunpoint that this would be a back page story?

Compared to, say, a HomeOwners Association twat that delays a delivery truck, you mean? No, I don't see what you are describing. Because no groups/prosecutors/cops have latched onto the story. Because it is stupid. There is no poignant story there. But the HOA story sure does get a prepackaged (BS) narrative attached to it. Gratuitously.

I would say its a hell of a lot more intriguing than some impotent busybody HOA doofus. Just the discussion alone of why one is more significant than the other, or why one is worthy of being assigned a narrative and the other a snoozer is sociologically interesting.

Why should anyone care about some little Napoleon in a gated community, like all the other little Napoleons? But a first round draft pic who orchestrates an armed robbery where he is a guest of partygoers who were remarkably well heeled, surely ending his promising career? Or even if a hoax, then shades of Smollett, and interesting in that way.

eta: forgot:

Seriously, seriously doubt their futures were bright, cause if this story is true, these are the two dumbest mother ******* ever to stagger out of Miami.
If Kirsten Bell knocked over an Oscar's afterparty, that would be a bit more interesting. It's not common for 40 year old women to rob swanky Hollywood parties.

Young, new-rich men committing crimes of violence is pretty common in comparison. Someone getting robbed at an illegal dice game is not exactly shocking either. If young, rich celebrity men stopped committing pointless crimes, TMZ would have to close up shop.
Old 20th May 2020, 01:04 PM   #28
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

If Kirsten Bell knocked over an Oscar's afterparty, that would be a bit more interesting. It's not common for 40 year old women to rob swanky Hollywood parties.

Young, new-rich men committing crimes of violence is pretty common in comparison. Someone getting robbed at an illegal dice game is not exactly shocking either. If young, rich celebrity men stopped committing pointless crimes, TMZ would have to close up shop.
C'mon... with Dax as wheelman, I can totally see Kristen being down for that.

(And I just saw a week ago on YT why TMZ took that name. #trivialHollywood )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2020, 03:46 PM   #29
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Sports build character!!!
Carlotta is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events