ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 23rd May 2020, 12:49 AM   #1561
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I've only gone out once in the past 2-3 months, to get prescriptions at the pharmacy drive-trough. But I got low on food. So I went to the local grocery store today. Outside the store there was an SUV that crashed up the sidewalk through some bushes ON FIRE! The whole vehicle was burnt to toast. It smelled terrible.

I don't know what happened. A store employee says they heard the car was on fire on a local highway and was trying to get to the nearby gas station. Because if you have FIRE it is best to drive it to GAS.

Bunch of teenagers standing around like they were probably in the vehicle. Cops talking to a teen guy that looked like maybe the driver. So they must have had the car in fire somehow and thought to try to drive to the nearest place that could help...the gas station.

Didn't look like anyone was hurt. But it looked scary.

Not out for 3 months and then I hesitantly venture out and run right into a flaming smoldering car. This damn virus is worse than I thought!
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:36 AM   #1562
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

No problems again with weekly Asda delivery. Spaces for deliveries now being left unfilled.
Old 23rd May 2020, 01:47 AM   #1563
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I've only gone out once in the past 2-3 months, to get prescriptions at the pharmacy drive-trough. But I got low on food. So I went to the local grocery store today. Outside the store there was an SUV that crashed up the sidewalk through some bushes ON FIRE! The whole vehicle was burnt to toast. It smelled terrible.

I don't know what happened. A store employee says they heard the car was on fire on a local highway and was trying to get to the nearby gas station. Because if you have FIRE it is best to drive it to GAS.

Bunch of teenagers standing around like they were probably in the vehicle. Cops talking to a teen guy that looked like maybe the driver. So they must have had the car in fire somehow and thought to try to drive to the nearest place that could help...the gas station.

Not out for 3 months and then I hesitantly venture out and run right into a flaming smoldering car. This damn virus is worse than I thought!
Was it dry weather? If you're very unlucky and someone throws a cigarette butt out their window it can get caught on the radiator grill, add some dry rubbish, maybe a little oil, some plastic, lots of air..... Electrical problems are also a possibility but surprisingly rare.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 02:49 AM   #1564
Traveler Steve
Scholar

I'm more concerned about the pharmacy! My mind imagines long, rectangular metal containers in rows in the parking lot. One swings up and gulps down a few mouthfuls. "Well, I got some of my prescription today. Also got some Xanax, Adderall, some cold medicine, and possibly Bengay."

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

Traveler Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:41 AM   #1565
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Still no arborio rice.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE MIDDLE CLASSES!!!!!!!!!
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:46 AM   #1566
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

The weather has been terrible today. High winds and heavy rain. It always seems worse when the trees have a full canopy. My car started first turn of the key which was encouraging, so I went up to Carlops. My order was in the vestibule but I had to give them a shout because there was a bag of mushrooms in the box that I hadn't ordered. I thought maybe I shouldn't just walk off with them. So I went home the long way round, by Dolphinton, Blyth Bridge and Mountain Cross. I'd call it the scenic route but not in this weather. 17 miles altogether so that should keep the car ticking over. One of my cousins said he was getting about three weeks to the gallon these days, I think I'm getting a lot more than that.

My central heating broke down on Thursday, dammit. I thought it was an electrical fault and I was right, but I was wrong about it being simple. Yesterday the plumber tracked the fault down to something in the airing cupboard, ran through quite a few fuses I supplied and then said it needed an electrician. He turned up again this morning with the electrician in tow, and the verdict was that some wiring was a mess and needed replacing. So he did that. But the basic problem seemed to be the pump that regulates the hot water tank having leaked all over the wiring, and that has to be replaced and no hope of getting a replacement until Monday at best now.

So it's still cold and wet and windy so I'm sitting in the living-room which has an open-flame gas fire independent of any other power source wishing we had Wednesday's weather back (I actually got a suntan on Wednesday.)
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:09 PM   #1567
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
How long did he have to run the engine to finish cooking it?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:18 PM   #1568
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
My stockpile was put aside for Brexit, most of it accumulated in December 2018. I just went for day to day things I'd be hacked off about if I couldn't find them in the shops, with the objective of lasting for three months if necessary. I reasoned that if things hadn't settled down by then we were in too much trouble for a stack of tins to alleviate.

Ironically the two things I hadn't thought about both related to cat parasites. Tapeworm treatment (TBF I thought I had one pill left but I hadn't) and antihistamine cream for me when the revolting one brought in a couple of cat fleas and got into my bed. (He's on an injectable flea sterilisation medication that doesn't stop the occasional minor incursion. I did have a couple of spot-on vials for him, but no Anthisan for me!)

I did make one trip to the village Co-op about ten days ago but that's because I judged it to be reasonably safe and was craving oven chips. If the place had been swimming in virus or totally out of all stock I would have been OK without going.
I recommend an air fryer.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:23 PM   #1569
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Still no arborio rice.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE MIDDLE CLASSES!!!!!!!!!
I'll take some photos next time I'm shopping...
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:34 PM   #1570
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I recommend an air fryer.
I concur, but suggest one of the halogen ovens with built in rotisserie (which normally come with a rotating basket), having owned both the halogen ovens do the same job but also do a lot more, and if you pick the right one, cheaper.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:21 PM   #1571
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Target run tonight. First time since about March, I think. I got everything on my list except the one thing I really went there for (a cover for my new phone -- I've had it one day and already dropped it twice. Slippery bugger.) Got a mega-pack of Bounty paper towels, but couldn't find any Charmin TP. There were some mega-packs of Cottenelle so I scarfed one of those. I hope I like it because I'm going to be using it for months!

And, this maybe should go in the "Anger" thread but here goes. Almost got run over in the crosswalk exiting the store. The guy was close enough that I was able to turn and yell at him directly through his open driver's side window. Second time in the last couple weeks I've had a close call on foot. I'm scanning 360 degrees constantly now.
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #1572
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Target run tonight. First time since about March, I think. I got everything on my list except the one thing I really went there for (a cover for my new phone -- I've had it one day and already dropped it twice. Slippery bugger.) Got a mega-pack of Bounty paper towels, but couldn't find any Charmin TP. There were some mega-packs of Cottenelle so I scarfed one of those. I hope I like it because I'm going to be using it for months!

And, this maybe should go in the "Anger" thread but here goes. Almost got run over in the crosswalk exiting the store. The guy was close enough that I was able to turn and yell at him directly through his open driver's side window. Second time in the last couple weeks I've had a close call on foot. I'm scanning 360 degrees constantly now.
It's not just on foot, I've had several close calls with drivers pulling straight out onto local roundabouts without even looking at oncoming traffic, delivery vans have been a real hazard around here for a while but (some of them) have shifted it up to a new level too.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #1573
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It's not just on foot, I've had several close calls with drivers pulling straight out onto local roundabouts without even looking at oncoming traffic, delivery vans have been a real hazard around here for a while but (some of them) have shifted it up to a new level too.
Ditto. The last two times I went out to the grocery store I had someone turn into my lane right in front of me from a cross-street, against their red light (and my green), without even stopping. Notable because it was one of the few times I'd been out of the house, happy to get out, and some ****** ruins my whole day by doing something stupid and dangerous.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #1574
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Ditto. The last two times I went out to the grocery store I had someone turn into my lane right in front of me from a cross-street, against their red light (and my green), without even stopping. Notable because it was one of the few times I'd been out of the house, happy to get out, and some ****** ruins my whole day by doing something stupid and dangerous.
I think people are forgetting how to drive because of all this.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #1575
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly. Or maybe the smart people are staying home and limiting their Covid exposure while el stupidos don't believe any of that fake sciencey nonsense and are carrying on in their "invulnerability. "
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #1576
catsmate
No longer the 1

I concur, but suggest one of the halogen ovens with built in rotisserie (which normally come with a rotating basket), having owned both the halogen ovens do the same job but also do a lot more, and if you pick the right one, cheaper.
Are they available as stand-alones?
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #1577
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Are they available as stand-alones?
Yes, this is very like mine (but about four times more expensive than the one I bought), it's a relatively small countertop unit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hjmtyrart-a...s2c142sr=8-149

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #1578
EHocking
Philosopher

I think people are forgetting to not be complete and utter ********* while driving.

Myself and a number of friends/family have noticed recently that people seem to be taking advantage of the lack of police on the roads here to disregard any veneer of common decency.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #1579
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I think people are forgetting to not be complete and utter ********* while driving.

Myself and a number of friends/family have noticed recently that people seem to be taking advantage of the lack of police on the roads here to disregard any veneer of common decency.
In my city the number of traffic tickets are up. Fewer cars on the road mean the cops have an easier time observing infractions. But the surge in murders this weekend suggests things are returning to normal (for St Louis, anyway).
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #1580
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Like this guy, you mean?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #1581
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Like this guy, you mean?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hey slow poke -- this guy did 308 km/h in his dad's Mercedes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-308-1.5564486

And he was caught.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #1582
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Hey slow poke -- this guy did 308 km/h in his dad's Mercedes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...-308-1.5564486

And he was caught.
200 mph is faster than 308 km/h. So there.

Our idiots are even more idiotic than your idiots.

Though ours hasn't been caught yet, as far as I know.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #1583
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Early on I read that highway fatalities were up during the pandemic, as more people take advantage of the wide open roads to go way, way, over the speed limit.

I only saw the headlines or briefly skimmed an article, so I can't say whether or not that was accurate.

ETA: My wife, the psychologist, also predicted more accidents based on people being under so much stress. The roads are different, traffic patterns are different, and people were preoccupied with the bizarre situation of their lives. That tends to make people lose focus and attention. I would think that would be less of a factor by now, though. That conversation was in the early days of the pandemic, when the nearly deserted roads were some eerie.

Last edited by Meadmaker; Yesterday at 11:20 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #1584
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The state of Misery never fails to impress me.

Pool party at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri draws a packed crowd
Quote:
"When we walked up my first words were 'oh my gosh' it was intense for sure!! Social distancing was nonexistent. However everyone was enjoying themselves. It was a very carefree environment but security was heavy!!" she wrote to CNN.

She said the bar took some safety precautions.

"They checked all of our temps and had thousands of little bottles of hand sanitizer!! They did a good job with what they had to work with!!" she wrote.
I especially love capturing all the double exclamations in quotes.

A second hairstylist who worked while symptomatic potentially exposed 56 clients to Covid-19, officials say
Quote:
Both stylists had symptoms while at work, officials said. They did not provide details on their conditions or when they tested positive.
The first one was up to 84. So 140 potential exposures between the two of them.

It's been nice knowing you all.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; Yesterday at 11:37 PM.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:39 AM   #1585
catsmate
No longer the 1

Yes, this is very like mine (but about four times more expensive than the one I bought), it's a relatively small countertop unit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hjmtyrart-a...s2c142sr=8-149
Thank you, we might experiment with that given the amount of cooking being done these days.
Old Today, 02:42 AM   #1586
catsmate
No longer the 1

Our National Slow Down Day caught over a thousand speeders, including one doing over 200km/h. The other 125,000 were OK.

ETA: added link.
Old Today, 03:03 AM   #1587
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Thank you, we might experiment with that given the amount of cooking being done these days.
I had one of the Tefal air fryers (the ones with the stirrer) before this and I much prefer this although they are very different beasts, but then those Tefal ones are very different than most other air fryers too.

The rotating chip baskets do really nice chips and chicken wings, but it is a bit of a pain to wash (I tend to fill the pan with hot soapy water and let the basket rotate in it on a low heat for a while), using it with a rack or wire mesh plate works really well for meat, sausages (apply a wipe over of oil first) or battered/breaded items (and oven chips) battered food that can oven cooked comes out really nicely. Rotisserie roasted meat or chicken is as good as it sounds but be aware you can't go too big, and if you can get the kebab adaptor for the rotisserie I've had good results with that.

I've been using it a lot in conjunction with my sous vide pod as it goes significantly hotter than my oven (250C against a claimed 230C but probably lower) and heats up faster and more efficiently. Sous vide the meat for a day or so then give it ten minutes or less at high temperatures to crisp the skin and give a little sear. You can roast in it or even slow roast, but with mine it only has an hour timer so you'd need to be around to restart it.

I use it a lot though, probably more than my main oven to be honest, I wish I'd had one back in my bed-sit days!

Old Today, 04:36 AM   #1588
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I've been out in the car only twice since March. The first was about a month ago when I drove back to the supermarket where I'd left my credit card. The other was last weekend when I took the car to go a bit further than usual (and the restrictions had been reduced to allow it), so I detoured up and down the motorway just to charge the battery a little.

I've been shopping mostly by bicycle, about every 5 days to top up stores and get fresh fruit and veg. I think I'm slightly fitter.

Flour has started showing up in the last couple of weeks, sporadically. Queues to get in have varied between 45 minutes and walking straight in.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events