ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old Today, 10:24 AM   #2121
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
To be fair I did my driving test in the north east a number of years ago and the eyesight test part of the test was a round trip to Barnard Castle, might be different in other parts of the country though
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:40 AM   #2122
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Thirty Miles 'a short drive'?
Compared to 260, yes.
Old Today, 10:42 AM   #2123
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
He's blaming the media for the reaction, the possibility that the papers might be reflecting public opinion rather than trying to shape it doesn't even occur to him. Probably because that's how he uses the media himself.
I have to say that I'm gratified the Daily Mail is eviscerating him and Johnson.

I'd be more happy and optimistic if The Sun were, though.
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #2124
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post

Right now he needs to get to Job Savers.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #2125
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Look, everyone in County Durham (Durham City native and former resident of Darlington here - also of Newcastle, but we won't talk about that) knows that Barnard Castle is THE ONLY PLACE in the county to check your eyesight: go there to visit Bowes Museum, the castle itself, someone at Deerbolt YOI or whatever and you just cannot move for folk testing their eyes.

I mean, something magical must happen to the water of the Tees downstream of Cotherstone...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #2126
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

And we all now have a new excuse for any "misunderstandings" over rules'n'regulations'n'laws'n'that: 'S OK, I'm Dominic Cummings, I can do that! Or, It's OK, I'm from Durham!

To be fair, I've been trying the latter for years, claiming that the Bishop of Durham holds precedence over the rule of the rest of the country - I didn't spend years crawling around in the mud of a school football pitch with a very good view of the cathedral for nowt!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:25 AM   #2127
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Look, everyone in County Durham (Durham City native and former resident of Darlington here - also of Newcastle, but we won't talk about that) knows that Barnard Castle is THE ONLY PLACE in the county to check your eyesight: go there to visit Bowes Museum, the castle itself, someone at Deerbolt YOI or whatever and you just cannot move for folk testing their eyes.

We used to go there on school trips, so itís educational too, donít forget. He was probably only thinking of his small child, and doing his duty to make sure they got some education while the schools are closed.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #2128
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
We used to go there on school trips, so itís educational too, donít forget. He was probably only thinking of his small child, and doing his duty to make sure they got some education while the schools are closed.
And if his eyesight failed the child could always grab the wheel
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #2129
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

And if his eyesight failed the child could always grab the wheel
If he'd driven off the road it would be the road's fault. Members of the Cabinet would have been rolled out to confirm that through a wall and into the woods was a perfectly valid interpretation of where the road went.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:01 PM   #2130
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
During the briefing, Mr Johnson was asked repeatedly about Dominic Cummings' claim that he drove to a beauty spot to "test his eyesight", and about calls for him to quit.

Gesturing to his glasses, he said: "On the point about eyesight, I'm finding I have to wear spectacles for the first time in years, I think, because of the effects of this thing. So... I think that's very, very plausible that there is that eyesight can be a problem associated with coronavirus."

He said he understands "why people may wish to see resignations" but adds: "I think that people will make up their make up their minds about was what Mr Cummings had to say."
Okay

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:03 PM   #2131
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I, like everyone else from the north east, remembers that
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #2132
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
If he'd driven off the road it would be the road's fault. Members of the Cabinet would have been rolled out to confirm that through a wall and into the woods was a perfectly valid interpretation of where the road went.
The road was probably a remainer attempting to undermine the government
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #2133
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's just common sense that if you feel too tired, sick or otherwise impaired to safely drive a car then you should not drive a car.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #2134
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The road was probably a remainer attempting to undermine the government
And it would have been fine if no-one had mentioned it.

Old Today, 01:59 PM   #2135
wobs
Master Poster

saw some of him in news. He seemed to dig himself a hole so much. Was he sponsored by JCB?

Last edited by wobs; Today at 02:00 PM.
wobs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:30 PM   #2136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Taking a drive to check your eyesight's OK is like doing some trapeze work to confirm your diarrhoea's gone.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:33 PM   #2137
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Iíve heard that one sign of respect is shown by the effort someone goes to to create plausible lies. Cummings respect for the British public? Apparently not too high.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #2138
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Taking a drive to check your eyesight's OK is like doing some trapeze work to confirm your diarrhoea's gone.
Ok, I'm lost a bit. Did he think his eyesight was affected by the virus? Or just that it was because he was getting older? Presbyopia if very real, but it affects close vision, not distance as you'd use for driving.
Old Today, 03:45 PM   #2139
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

i've messaged the landlord of my local that if his instinct is to open the boozer tomorrow it will be responsible and legal.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #2140
chrispy
Muse

People are strating to get worried here in Guate. We just came out of a 60 hour lockdown-in-house order, and still have 5pm to 5AM curfew. Next weekend is another 60 hour lockdown (5pm Friday night until 5AM Monday morning). Last night the President said that if cases keep rising at the rate they are-roughly 400 per day- he will use his power to institute a 15 day in home lockdown. Essential deliveries (water, gas, pharamcy) can still be had by delivery only. As for food... Yeah. We have 25 cases in one town to my East and 3 in my nearest town to the West. I have been proud so far of the Gov. response here (both Federally and locally) but the President has made statements in the past about his belief in military on the streets, something that has been unheard of since the last time that happened - the Civil War (where 800,000 to 1.3 million of the Maya were murdered or disappeared). I live in the Maya Highlands, so yeah, not going over well right now.

I think it is just a threat to keep people obeying lockdown orders, but here one can never know.
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #2141
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ok, I'm lost a bit. Did he think his eyesight was affected by the virus? Or just that it was because he was getting older? Presbyopia if very real, but it affects close vision, not distance as you'd use for driving.
The claim seems to be that Cummings thought his eyesight might have been affected by the virus. Johnson made a similar claim in his address in the evening.

So naturally he shoved his 4 year old child in the back seat and took the car for a spin, just to check.
Old Today, 05:01 PM   #2142
ctamblyn
Data Ghost

From the transcript provided by The Independent :

Quote:
On Sunday 12 April, 15 days after I had first displayed symptoms, I decided to return to work. My wife was very worried, particularly given my eyesight seemed to have been affected by the disease. She didn't want to risk a nearly 300-mile drive with our child, given how ill I had been. We agreed that we should go for a short drive to see if I could drive safely. We drove for roughly half an hour and ended up on the outskirts of Barnard Castle town. We did not visit the castle. We did not walk around the town. We parked by a river. My wife and I discussed the situation. We agreed that I could drive safely, we should turn around, go home. I felt a bit sick. We walked about 10 to 15 metres from the car to the river bank nearby. We sat there for about 15 minutes. We had no interactions with anybody. I felt better. We returned the car. An elderly gentleman walking nearby appeared to recognise me. My wife wished him Happy Easter from a distance, but we had no other interaction.

We headed home. On the way home, our child needed the toilet. He was in the back seat of the car. We pulled over to the side of the road, my wife and child jumped out into the woods by the side of the road. They were briefly outside. I briefly joined them. They played for a little bit and then I got out of the car, went outside. We were briefly in the woods. We saw some people at a distance. But at no point did we break any social distancing rules. We then got back in the car and went home.
Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9531856.html
Old Today, 05:08 PM   #2143
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He did a press Q and A, the info is in that, you just have to watch it.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics