ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th March 2020, 06:32 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Corona VIrus Party attendee gets infected...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...fter-attending

These people should have read Poe's "Masque Of The Red Death"...

Prince Prospero's Disease Party Turned Out So Well......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 09:37 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

There's no cure for stupid.
Old 24th March 2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
There's no cure for stupid.
Well, in fact, there is. I'm pretty sure you stop being stupid soon after death.
Old 24th March 2020, 10:46 PM   #4
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

To anyone thinking about doing any such thing. It is getting a bit late. If things go wrong and you need hospital treatment they will be overworked. If you convince them that you are a valuable person and should get the needed treatment this would come at the expense of someone else. A month or so ago there was a case for doing this. Not now.
Old 25th March 2020, 05:12 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Well, in fact, there is. I'm pretty sure you stop being stupid soon after death.
No you don't. Everyone in heaven has the same personality as they did while living on earth. Yes, there are stupid angels.
Old 25th March 2020, 05:21 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Hard to enjoy the schadenfreude on these stories knowing that these people very likely lead to several other non-involved people to get sick. There are going to be countless unknown cases of irresponsible people spreading the disease and not suffering any consequences themselves.

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
To anyone thinking about doing any such thing. It is getting a bit late. If things go wrong and you need hospital treatment they will be overworked. If you convince them that you are a valuable person and should get the needed treatment this would come at the expense of someone else. A month or so ago there was a case for doing this. Not now.
I don't think a Covid-19 party is like a pox party. The point isn't to contract the disease on purpose. It's just a party that is flouting the social distancing guidelines for the sake of having a party. It's a "you can't tell us what to do" mentality.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 25th March 2020 at 05:44 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:43 AM   #7
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Hard to enjoy the schadenfreude on these stories knowing that very likely lead to several other non-involved people to get sick. There are going to be countless unknown cases of irresponsible people spreading the disease and not suffering any consequences themselves.

I don't think a Covid-19 party is like a pox party. The point isn't to contract the disease on purpose. It's just a party that is flouting the social distancing guidelines for the sake of having a party. It's a "you can't tell us what to do" mentality.

Despite the relatively low number of cases my state enacted a stay at home order earlier this week, acknowledging that it will be a major blow to people's livelihoods but saying it was medically necessary. That's a decision that I don't have enough info to have an informed opinion of one way or the other (good idea, was it done too soon, or is it too short lasting, etc.) but I'm complying never the less. What drove me nuts was reading countless comments criticizing the 'no more than five people gathered together' aspect, with objections ranging from the childish "who are they to tell us what we can do?" to the completely insane "that's just flat out Communism!".

Someone coming along with access to at least some of the relevant info and saying it's a bad idea or poorly implemented because of <reasons>, okay that's at least an argument. But presumably grown-assed adults basically whinging "you can't make me"?
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:45 AM   #8
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

Darwin says what?
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:51 AM   #9
dann
Philosopher

Darwin doesn't say a thing, and these people don't get a Darwin Award. They are not the ones to die:

Quote:
Beshear added that the gathering consisted of a “group of young adults in their 20s who I guess were thinking they were invincible” and warned that while younger people may not feel serious symptoms if they contract the virus, they could spread the illness to more susceptible populations.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:56 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Darwin doesn't say a thing, and these people don't get a Darwin Award. They are not the ones to die:
Yeah, Darwin Award isn't really going to apply here. Looking at the pandemic through an individualistic paradigm is foolish.

These people are endangering the public health. The people being the most reckless and callous may never suffer any serious health consequences from their actions. People following best practices may still die. There's no righteous satisfaction to be found here in most cases.
Old 25th March 2020, 06:21 AM   #11
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Early lock-down in the present situation is a very good idea. But it has to be combined with a well-organised and meticulous contact-tracing and testing operation to hunt down and eliminate the virus that is already in the community. Otherwise it drags on and on.
Old 25th March 2020, 06:54 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think C19 is going to be hunted down an eliminated. The opportunity to do that was missed five months ago in Wuhan Province, China.* I'm pretty sure at this point C19 is going to be part of our influenza landscape for the rest of the history of influenza.

---
*Or the opportunity was missed at the Project Blue Book facility in southern California, when the automated lockdown system failed, and Charles Campion was able to escape with his family, dooming us all. If you believe the latest round of propaganda.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:09 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't think C19 is going to be hunted down an eliminated. The opportunity to do that was missed five months ago in Wuhan Province, China.* I'm pretty sure at this point C19 is going to be part of our influenza landscape for the rest of the history of influenza.
Maybe.

Its also possible that they will come up with an effective vaccine, and the virus can be eliminated through mass vaccinations (much as Smallpox was).

ETA: Of course, it depends on if the virus mutates at all between when the vaccine is developed and massive rollouts begin.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 26th March 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:35 PM   #14
EHocking
Philosopher

Young people are dying from COVID-19.

And the males at least are potential DA recipients.
From another thread.
Originally Posted by GraculusTheGreenBird View Post
First it came for our lungs. Now its coming for our balls..

Wuhan doctors plan long-term look at coronavirus impact on male sex hormone

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/scie...mpact-male-sex

Small scale, un-peer reviewed initial study finds some evidence that has indicated need for a more comprehensive study.

"Using the samples, the team looked at the ratio of testosterone to luteinising hormone (T/LH). A low T/LH ratio can be a sign of hypogonadism, which in men is a malfunction of the testicles that could lead to lower sex hormone production.

The average ratio for the Covid-19 patients was 0.74, about half the normal level."
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 10:59 PM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
No you don't. Everyone in heaven has the same personality as they did while living on earth. Yes, there are stupid angels.
But if we went to heaven they could not interact with us, because to so so would diminish heaven and make it hell. Even the knowledge that God is so insipid and powerless that he allows the stupid to stay stupid diminishes heaven, so even to acknowledge their existence must be allowed only to the stupid. So the stupid angels must inhabit a parallel heaven, seen only by those as stupid as themselves. Thankfully, the paradox need not concern either those who continue to live or those who, at the end of it all, simply go ahead and die. Heaven is perfect that way.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 11:42 PM   #16
dann
Philosopher

Denmark has attempted to protect its army by isolating soldiers in a situation when the virus is already running rampant.
The effect is similar to a coronavirus party: You isolate 700 young people in two relatively confined places. Guess what happens?
There's probably no need for me to translate the headline: Positiv coronatest blandt isolerede soldater (Jubii, March 25, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 03:45 AM   #17
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Despite the relatively low number of cases my state enacted a stay at home order earlier this week, acknowledging that it will be a major blow to people's livelihoods but saying it was medically necessary. That's a decision that I don't have enough info to have an informed opinion of one way or the other (good idea, was it done too soon, or is it too short lasting, etc.) but I'm complying never the less. What drove me nuts was reading countless comments criticizing the 'no more than five people gathered together' aspect, with objections ranging from the childish "who are they to tell us what we can do?" to the completely insane "that's just flat out Communism!".

Someone coming along with access to at least some of the relevant info and saying it's a bad idea or poorly implemented because of <reasons>, okay that's at least an argument. But presumably grown-assed adults basically whinging "you can't make me"?
I have a friend in Italy who's been keeping me posted nearly daily since well before they shut anything down. When they started with Milan and the surrounding area I said, to paraphrase, "That won't work here because we have too many people with this '**** y'all, I do what I want!" attitude.

And I wish I was wrong, but we saw it on the beaches all over the country, on golf courses, parks, etc. It was the reason for the stay at home order here in WA that's got me at home with no pay for the next two weeks (at least). Not 24 hours had passed since Inslee urged people to not go out before thousands of morons swarmed the beaches and trailheads.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 06:55 AM   #18
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
....I'm pretty sure at this point C19 is going to be part of our influenza landscape for the rest of the history of influenza.
Or not, because coronavirus are not influenza. Not related to influenza at all.

Covid-19 may be around for a very long time, but will never be a part of the "influenza landscape" any more than any other disease that is also not infuenza.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:02 AM   #19
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I said, to paraphrase, "That won't work here because we have too many people with this '**** y'all, I do what I want!" attitude.

You'll find those everywhere. We have them in Denmark, and they have them In Italy, too. But in Denmark and Italy, they tend to have fewer guns ...
Old 27th March 2020, 08:11 PM   #20
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

You'll find those everywhere. We have them in Denmark, and they have them In Italy, too. But in Denmark and Italy, they tend to have fewer guns ...
I'm certain they exist everywhere, but it's kind of baked into the culture here. FWIW none of the ones in the videos I saw were armed.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2020, 03:38 AM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

On the bright side we now have a great new illustration for the phrase "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 07:34 PM   #22
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a debate with Robin Hanson about the idea of deliberate low dose infection followed by quarantine of those infected as a plan B for controlling the pandemic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qYN...ature=youtu.be

Honestly the discussion gets a little annoying, but the issues raised are interesting.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events