ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:39 AM   #1
rockysmith76
Muse

Does Perpetual Outrage lead to Fake news?

Marriages being too easy, etc..... a myriad of tweaked facts and all of a sudden we're mad as hell and we're gonna get us some outrage!
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:43 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

No. The idea that being dramatic is a worse sin the being evil is leading to people becoming psychopaths though.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:46 AM   #3
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Marriages being too easy, etc..... a myriad of tweaked facts and all of a sudden we're mad as hell and we're gonna get us some outrage!
Perhaps you're not understanding what this forum is for? Sometimes people post things that they aren't outraged about but maybe they'd like feedback, or find it to be interesting, or would like to compare it to other's experiences.

Talking about something doesn't mean you're outraged. Maybe that's why you think everyone is "outraged" by some of the nonsensical stuff you post? People aren't mad, you're projecting how you react when you read things on to other people. Now would be a good time to grow.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:03 AM   #4
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Perhaps you're not understanding what this forum is for? Sometimes people post things that they aren't outraged about but maybe they'd like feedback, or find it to be interesting, or would like to compare it to other's experiences.

Talking about something doesn't mean you're outraged. Maybe that's why you think everyone is "outraged" by some of the nonsensical stuff you post? People aren't mad, you're projecting how you react when you read things on to other people. Now would be a good time to grow.
I was referring to a narrow subsection of the forum. It seems to happen daily from certain fronts. It is caused by tweaked if not fake news.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:09 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There is no Fake News, at least in the sense you're using the term.

You just want to live in a Post-Fact world.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:16 AM   #6
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
No. The idea that being dramatic is a worse sin the being evil is leading to people becoming psychopaths though.
Oof, now that's a spicy meatball.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:26 AM   #7
plague311
Great minds think...

I was referring to a narrow subsection of the forum. It seems to happen daily from certain fronts. It is caused by tweaked if not fake news.
Yeah, well, we don't read minds around here. So if you have a point to make, make it. I still have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

I read the marriage thread and no one seemed to be "outraged". It was just a conversation starter. Again...projection.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:33 AM   #8
BigFace42
Scholar

Narrow subsection of the forum? More like one particular user that you’ve got a bit of boner for.
BigFace42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:17 PM   #9
pharphis
Master Poster

it's all cyclical, imo.

Without going into any specific examples (pick your favourite "enemy"),

1) headline is misleading, written to get clicks/views (anger, shock, sensational stuff)
2) article itself is filled with cherrypicked information or framed a specific way which misleads vast majority of people (relevant facts, legal basis, missing nuance, etc.)
3) people read only the headline, become mad. Some people read article, still become mad
4) political ideologues take screenshots or headlines, misleading subsections of articles, post on twitter
5) people read just the screenshot, take everything at face value framed in worst possible light and retweet, like.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:54 PM   #10
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Betteridge's Law of Headlines applies.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 08:35 AM   #11
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

I'm getting that feeling where it seems like a thread is a spin-off of some other thread but no one is directly pointing that out.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:18 AM   #12
dann
Philosopher

There is no Fake News, at least in the sense you're using the term.

You just want to live in a Post-Fact world.

... and are outraged because you can't.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

It is caused by tweaked if not fake news.

Would you please give an example of "fake news" as you're using the term?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #14
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Your questions takes me back to the discussion on whether emotion or intellect is more beneficial for humans. I accept that outrage is an emotion. That outrage could be predicated on an intellectual or an emotional foundation. If outrage is based on the latter, I could see how the intellect would be more likely to rationalize in a post hoc manner to support that outrage. That type of statistical analysis if fraught with errors (cognitive bias).

I think the world is too nuanced to create a universal rule that can be applied to answer your question. I think we need specifics.

If those that continually perpetuate outrage have an underlying intent of enacting change they may be engaging in maladaptive behavior because a perpetual state of outrage can lead to outrage fatigue.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 10:51 AM   #15
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Would you please give an example of "fake news" as you're using the term?
Moon landings......
Old 26th March 2020, 11:00 AM   #16
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Your questions takes me back to the discussion on whether emotion or intellect is more beneficial for humans. I accept that outrage is an emotion.
Our options are not limited to "Straw Vulcan robots" and "Reality denying psychopaths."

"I'm literally going to reject the concept of facts to spite da libruls regardless of the damage that causes" can't be shrugged off via the old "Well you can't expect people to act rationally all the time" copout.
Old 29th March 2020, 12:14 PM   #17
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Our options are not limited to "Straw Vulcan robots" and "Reality denying psychopaths."

"I'm literally going to reject the concept of facts to spite da libruls regardless of the damage that causes" can't be shrugged off via the old "Well you can't expect people to act rationally all the time" copout.
i did not profess the false dichotomy you created. The only portion of my claim that you quoted was that outrage is an emotional reaction. Is that something you agree with or disagree with?
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 02:21 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Fake News equals anything negative about Dear Leader in the White House.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 02:23 PM   #19
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Declaring anything that disagrees with what you want to hear "Fake news" or "biased" is the easiest way to create a functionally fact free world.
Old 30th March 2020, 12:06 AM   #20
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Fake News equals anything negative about Dear Leader in the White House.
I pretty much disregard the opinion of anyone who utters the words “Fake News” except in an ironic manner.

Saves a lot of time not listening to dickeads.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 10:52 PM   #21
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post

It's best not to feed trolls. Anyone who preaches that you shouldn't be outraged by evil people doing outrageous things does not have the public interest in mind.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 10:57 PM   #22
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by BigFace42 View Post
Narrow subsection of the forum? More like one particular user that you’ve got a bit of boner for.
For the record, I don't swing that way. Maybe Lenningrad Lindsey Graham is looking?
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2020, 10:59 PM   #23
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post
I'm getting that feeling where it seems like a thread is a spin-off of some other thread but no one is directly pointing that out.
The OP just doesn't like the fact that people are outraged by some of the crap his side of the political isle is pulling.

Old 31st March 2020, 03:54 AM   #24
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
The OP just doesn't like the fact that people are outraged by some of the crap his side of the political isle is pulling.
Certain outraged responders don't see the greater non partisan side of things and from that bubble fail to see the bigger picture.

Trump sucks
Mitch sucks
Lindsay sucks
Bernie is unelectable for being a Socialist
Hillary was no better than Trump and AOC is a threat to National security at the moment.

Next...
Old 31st March 2020, 05:10 AM   #25
dann
Philosopher

Certain outraged responders don't see the greater non partisan side of things and from that bubble fail to see the bigger picture.

Trump sucks
Mitch sucks
Lindsay sucks
Hillary was no better than Trump and AOC is a threat to National security at the moment.

Next...

rockysmith76: As she champions Illegal Immigrants, is AOC a threat to National Security? (ISF, March 30, 2020)
You seem to think that making a new thread in outrage proves your claim that perpetual outrage leads to fake news.

Next ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:17 AM   #26
Lothian
should be banned

Does perpetual outrage lead to fake news?

Yes, I think most fake news does stem from perpetual outrage.

As an aside I love the use of the nickname "Perpetual Outrage" for Trump. Huge congratulations to whomever came up with it.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:30 AM   #27
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump sucks ...sweaty dog's balls
Mitch sucks ...sweaty Trump balls
Lindsay sucks ...his own sweaty balls
Bernie is unelectable for being a Socialist ...who is still more right-wing than most other western countries.
Hillary was no better than Trump ...but she's got more balls than him.
and AOC is a threat to National security at the moment. ...because...gee...she's brown and Hispanic and female.

Next...
More detail provided to clarify the situation.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 05:48 AM   #28
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump sucks
Mitch sucks
Lindsay sucks

Next...

For someone who puts on airs of not being "outraged" and being "non-partisan", you really should try not being so obviously outraged and partisan.

Republicans with real power, who are actively using that power to demolish democratic norms, while dragging their feet in response to a global pandemic? Oh, they just "suck". But a freshman Representative with very little real governmental power? She's a threat to national security!

Do you really think you are soooo clever that none of us see through your act? Why do you even bother with this pretense? Do you imagine there is some silent audience here at the ISF that's being fooled?
Old 31st March 2020, 05:49 AM   #29
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Do you really think you are soooo clever that none of us see through your act? Why do you even bother with this pretense? Do you imagine there is some silent audience here at the ISF that's being fooled?
Of course not. It being an act is the point. Getting the reaction is the point.

There's a term for that, but we're not allowed to suggest people are doing it.
Old 31st March 2020, 08:12 AM   #30
carlitos
"más divertido"

the political isle
Now there's a containment strategy I can get behind.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 08:31 AM   #31
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
As an aside I love the use of the nickname "Perpetual Outrage" for Trump. Huge congratulations to whomever came up with it.

That's a different thread.
Old 31st March 2020, 03:08 PM   #32
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Trump sucks
Mitch sucks
Lindsay sucks

Next...
ok, pebble

Old 31st March 2020, 03:11 PM   #33
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
pebble needs his potatoe ration.

Old 31st March 2020, 03:13 PM   #34
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
More detail provided to clarify the situation.
Point of order: Does Lenningrad Lindsay even have those?

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #35
rockysmith76
Muse

ok, pebble
Thanks Pinky!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events