ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #81
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Well maybe people will have long memories and will punish Hobby Lobby for the way they have mistreated their employees - then again maybe not.

I have similar hopes for JD Wetherspoons, a UK pub chain which behaves rather like Walmart for bars. Low prices, bad atmosphere and sucks the life out of Mom and Pop bars in a town until there's no real competition. It's owned by a multi-multi-millionaire who wanted to keep his pubs open despite Coronavirus (and nevermind the health of his staff or customers) and then when forced to close, sacked all his staff rather than keeping them on until the government payments to cover 80% of the salary came through.

If it's one thing the invention of Social Media has enabled it's other people to remind us what we're mad at!

All joking aside, this will make round after round when everything is open again. I have no doubts Hobby Lobby will take a hit, but by next year people will just want cheap **** again.

Hobby Lobby is a lot like the individual you mentioned too. They've actually opened a portion of the their stores, in protest of the closing, and have forced local authorities to close them down. This has happened at multiple locations of theirs. It's pathetic and I hope they face charges for it, and I don't mean the employees. I mean the management. They've even sent out a memo on what to do if you have to "deal with authority" that shows up. They know what they're doing is wrong, they know it's endangering lives, they know that their employees have no choice (they proved that recently), and so they're just taking advantage. Seriously, if I had a bottle of water, and the CEO of Hobby Lobby were on fire, I'd drink it and stuff it down his throat. Being careful to avoid the fire.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have boycotted Hobby Lobby ever since they de facto fired all their gay/lesbian employees.
They have never gottan a dime of my money, and they won't get any now.
Michael's has a better selection anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #83
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have boycotted Hobby Lobby ever since they de facto fired all their gay/lesbian employees.
They have never gottan a dime of my money, and they won't get any now.
Michael's has a better selection anyway.
Interesting. The Supreme Court decision that allowed them to opt out of birth control coverage was quite explicit in not allowing the judgment to shield other forms of discrimination. I don't doubt that they have found some way around this, but haven't been able to find anything specific. It seems clear enough that their idea of what constitutes Christian behavior is about as rotten and stupid as can be, but any elucidation of how they might have done an end run around employment discrimination laws?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM   #84
deadrose
Illuminator

Yeah, I generally boycott all corporations that make a point of how "Christian" they are, because they're invariably this same sort of thing. I don't care of Hobby Lobby has it cheaper, or Chik-fil-a tastes good, I don't want to give them my money so that they can promote hatred.

It would be like spitting in the faces of friends, family and loved ones to do otherwise.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Interesting. The Supreme Court decision that allowed them to opt out of birth control coverage was quite explicit in not allowing the judgment to shield other forms of discrimination. I don't doubt that they have found some way around this, but haven't been able to find anything specific. It seems clear enough that their idea of what constitutes Christian behavior is about as rotten and stupid as can be, but any elucidation of how they might have done an end run around employment discrimination laws?
Employment discrimination laws don't cover the LGBT community. It has always been legal to fire someone for being gay.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #86
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Employment discrimination laws don't cover the LGBT community. It has always been legal to fire someone for being gay.
Not everywhere. Don't try it in Vermont.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #87
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not in civilised countries.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP

Last edited by welshdean; Yesterday at 07:34 PM.
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events