IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 02:01 PM   #641
Childlike Empress
Banned

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't know if this warning was posted the entire time.

It has been there since web.archive.org took the first capture hours after the page went up.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:06 PM   #642
Childlike Empress
Banned

I fixed the PDF link in all of posts.

I also cannot find any other PDF files from the White House with similar user comments on other subjects.

I searched for "white house comments received pdf", since that is similar to the title of the emails PDF. I'd be interested if anyone else can find anything.

Does this help?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=comments-receiv...whitehouse.gov
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:07 PM   #643
mgidm86
Philosopher

I'm not sure I'm looking at that site correctly. The first email is from June 29th. When was this announcement first posted?

ETA:
Whatever, there is precedent for this as far as I can see.

Last edited by mgidm86; 16th July 2017 at 02:12 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:10 PM   #644
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

Well there we go.

ETA:
This discussion is happening in two different threads. I'm going to stay in this one.

Last edited by mgidm86; 16th July 2017 at 02:11 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:15 PM   #645
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I fixed the PDF link in all of posts.

I also cannot find any other PDF files from the White House with similar user comments on other subjects.

I searched for "white house comments received pdf", since that is similar to the title of the emails PDF. I'd be interested if anyone else can find anything.
Thank you, I'm not sure that Ann Onomus would be too worried about her details being published.

But as you said, it is disturbing.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 02:20 PM   #646
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Thank you, I'm not sure that Ann Onomus would be too worried about her details being published.

But as you said, it is disturbing.

I take it back. It seems this is normal behavior for the White House - making such comments available. I don't know how often it happens and under what circumstances, but I can't fault Trump for making these comments public, unless, once again, I am convinced otherwise.

ETA: Stephanie Frasca from 1*** Cross Point Road, McKinney, ** might care about her information. Some of these people even used their work email, complete with signature. That's dumb.

I didn't know the government posted this information, glad I do now.

I wonder how they decide what to publish. Is every email ever written available, or just some? I'm still not crazy about this, and I think the voter fraud thing behind it is the actual fraud. But as for the comments themselves, oh well.

Last edited by mgidm86; 16th July 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 16th July 2017, 02:54 PM   #647
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Welcome to backwards world.

Myron Ebell, Top climate skeptic to lead Trump's EPA transition team

Trump names Scott Pruitt, Oklahoma attorney general suing EPA on climate change, to head the EPA

Anti-public-school promoter DeVos appointed to be sec of education.

Would-have-eliminated-the-dept-of-energy Perry appointed to lead the department of energy.

Crazy Carson appointed to head HUD.

Tom Price, big critic of the ACA, appointed to head the HHS. He thinks God, not treatment will cure addicts.

Birth control skeptic Teresa Manning to lead the nation’s family planning program, and abstinence only extremist Valerie Huber appointed to another top HHS job.

Trump Appoints Radical Anti-LGBT Activist to Lead HHS Civil Rights Office

Forbes: New CDC Head Fitzgerald Peddled Controversial 'Anti-Aging Medicine' Before Leaving Private Practice

AG Sessions wants to go back to the jailing pot smokers.

How can he possibly be appointing all these awful people? Is it Bannon? Is it Trump's latching onto the Evangelical movement to get elected that lead to some of these appointments? Was Trump always involved with that many fringe believers? One or two, OK, so he's a Birther. But crazy believers in every field? Does one lead to the next and the next?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 03:05 PM   #648
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know the government posted this information, glad I do now.
There is such a thing as anonymizing comments, right? There must be since spell check tells me that anonymizing is in fact a word!

I didn't realize the feds were asking for last-4-digits-of Social and DOB. It shouldn't surprise me, I guess, but I'm glad that most SOS's told Trump to pound sand. Street addresses, though - that information is inseparably bound to voter rolls.

This administration ostensibly cares about states' rights - maybe a block grant could be made to each state to audit their voter database. They probably should be audited periodically, not necessarily on name-by-name basis but with a sufficient randomized sampling.

I wonder how they decide what to publish. Is every email ever written available, or just some? I'm still not crazy about this, and I think the voter fraud thing behind it is the actual fraud. But as for the comments themselves, oh well.
The comments I read were all negative, but most included just email addresses.

If we're afraid to give out even our email addresses, the cyber-bullies do win. Like I said, maybe keep one private and one public account ... which will favor younger and more tech-savvy voters. No perfect solution I guess.

The sad truth is, probably bad actors already have access to everything they need to hack your identity.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 03:50 PM   #649
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The sad truth is, probably bad actors already have access to everything they need to hack your identity.
Yes, but even just giving email addresses and party affiliations, this list would make it much easier for non-tech-savvy yahoos to get mailing lists for everything from scamming to harassment.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:06 PM   #650
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Emails sent to a government agency as part of public comment are public comment.

I obviously despise Trump and I don't see how this is a privacy issue.
Any more than the "CNN doxxing" line is, of course. The tension here is felt by those who feel a need to treat one as if it is and the other as if it ain't.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:42 PM   #651
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>
This is intimidation. People may think twice before emailing the government now. They may think twice about commenting at all anywhere eventually. It isn't just these particular names and addresses that are at issue.

<snip>

Probably not an unintended consequence.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:53 PM   #652
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Probably not an unintended consequence.
Better to post nothing than something purely conspiratorial, to my mind.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 05:35 PM   #653
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Better to post nothing than something purely conspiratorial, to my mind.

Why do you call it that?

Do you believe that they would be unaware of this as a potential consequence?

Do you believe that if they were not they would completely disregard it?

Do you believe it was done completely unconsciously, with nobody who had anything to do with it having any idea at all that there might be some privacy issues involved?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 06:31 PM   #654
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Why do you call it that?
Onlyfrom a conspiratorial viewpoint can this release be regarded as deliberately intimidatory.

Quote:
Do you believe that they would be unaware of this as a potential consequence?
If they think it matters they're lost in the swamp.

Quote:
Do you believe that if they were not they would completely disregard it?

Do you believe it was done completely unconsciously, with nobody who had anything to do with it having any idea at all that there might be some privacy issues involved?
What I don't believe is that this is a bell ringing around the world, because it really isn't. Nobody is being intimidated by this stuff unless by choice.

Old 16th July 2017, 07:49 PM   #655
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Onlyfrom a conspiratorial viewpoint can this release be regarded as deliberately intimidatory.

<snip>

You make it sound so ominous.

I think you are overworking the concept of conspiracy.

Old 16th July 2017, 09:22 PM   #656
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
If it was only the information of the critics that got released I'll call that deliberate. If everyone, pro and con had their information released it's probably just a screw up.
I'm guessing someone puts the document together. They think of running it past one of the administration's attorneys to get a legal check on it. Oh. There aren't any.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 16th July 2017 at 09:46 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 10:02 PM   #657
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

And figuring out what the Democratic Party is stands for. We have what they're against down but not what they're for. Healthcare seems like a solid issue and maybe coming up with a plan to transition the economy of the rust belt would be a good start.
I was personally won over by the fact that in 2011 or so, the federal government wanted me to have health insurance, vs. the insurance companies who were looking for reasons to disqualify me. Private firms offered no automatic electronic payments ... hoping I think for an excuse to drop people ... and stupidly I let COBRA benefits lapse because my stamped, addressed envelope got buried under other paperwork.

After being turned down and being without insurance I qualified for the PCIP - Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan - and was directly insured by the federal government for a year or two. It impressed me that the feds wanted me to have insurance, as opposed to insurers looking for an opportunity to drop me. I do believe this could be a huge asset to Democratic candidates, but that means there should be serious strategizing in gerrymandered districts to make sure good Democratic candidates are in the pipeline. I wouldn't know where to start, but state-level party structures need to be looking at this right now.

There are formidable obstacles to actually reforming the system, but just knowing that one party gave a damn was encouraging to me.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 10:21 PM   #658
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
How can he possibly be appointing all these awful people? Is it Bannon? Is it Trump's latching onto the Evangelical movement to get elected that lead to some of these appointments? Was Trump always involved with that many fringe believers? One or two, OK, so he's a Birther. But crazy believers in every field? Does one lead to the next and the next?
Belief in conspiracy theories is a form of mental disease, I think. We do know that if you believe in one of them, you're much more likely you'll believe in several. Thank your lucky stars Al Gore didn't win in 2000, or else he'd 'reopen' 9/11 investigation which would 'find' compelling evidence of LIHOP if not MIHOP.

I'm sort of surprised he hasn't acted against Chemtrails yet.

McHrozni
Old 16th July 2017, 10:26 PM   #659
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

And figuring out what the Democratic Party is stands for. We have what they're against down but not what they're for. Healthcare seems like a solid issue and maybe coming up with a plan to transition the economy of the rust belt would be a good start.
Trump is in no small part a result of the collapse in the Democrat party agenda. He could never win against a credible party that would field credible opponents. Neither could other Republican crazies for that matter. US politics needs an overhaul, at a minimum it needs an end to gerrymandering and obligatory participation in elections. The first one doesn't need a further explanation, the second one should cut down substantially on the negative approach to elections, where the focus is primarily on making the other guy look worse than you do, so the electorate chooses you as the lesser evil. If it wouldn't cut on such tactics immediately it would at least serve to reduce the yield from such tactics and eventually reduce its' use.

These two reforms are something that might be doable. I'd be all for something more profound (e.g. single transferable vote), but that's impossible to achieve anytime soon.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 16th July 2017 at 10:35 PM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 11:33 PM   #660
SezMe
post-pre-born

... I voted for Trump ...
Are you happy with your vote now? I mean in general, not regarding the privacy issue, per se.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 11:44 PM   #661
SezMe
post-pre-born

This is funny. First, McHrozni states:

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Belief in conspiracy theories is a form of mental disease, I think.
Ok. Then he asserts:

Thank your lucky stars Al Gore didn't win in 2000, or else he'd 'reopen' 9/11 investigation which would 'find' compelling evidence of LIHOP if not MIHOP.
Brings to mind the phrase, hung by his own petard.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 11:54 PM   #662
SezMe
post-pre-born

US politics needs an overhaul, at a minimum it needs an end to gerrymandering ....
Absolutely agree.

.... and obligatory participation in elections. The first one doesn't need a further explanation, the second one should cut down substantially on the negative approach to elections, where the focus is primarily on making the other guy look worse than you do, so the electorate chooses you as the lesser evil. If it wouldn't cut on such tactics immediately it would at least serve to reduce the yield from such tactics and eventually reduce its' use.
I have two problems with this part. First, I don't see how obligatory voting cuts down on negative ads. They're used because they have proven to be effective. If you force people to vote who don't give a damn, the negative ads will be even more effective.

Second, it's clear to me that we already have way, way too many ill-informed or totally uninformed voters as it is. Forcing people to vote ignorantly or - even worse, frivolously - actually diminishes my vote. I'm not for it (for obvious reasons) but sometimes I yearn for an election where the voter has to show some even rudimentary awareness of the issues before being allowed to vote.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:07 AM   #663
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Brings to mind the phrase, hung by his own petard.
The bolded "he" in this sentence:

Thank your lucky stars Al Gore didn't win in 2000, or else he'd 'reopen' 9/11 investigation which would 'find' compelling evidence of LIHOP if not MIHOP.

refers to Donald Trump Trump won't go after a fellow Republican as eagerly as he'd go after a Democrat.

McHrozni
Old 17th July 2017, 10:26 AM   #664
Civet
Graduate Poster

Trump gets some praise from the head of the Border Patrol union. He's practically fawning. Another Trump win.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bo...rticle/2628828
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 11:51 AM   #665
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

The most damaging appointment strikes again.
FORFEITURE SIREN: In speech today, AG Sessions says he'll be issuing a new directive to increase asset forfeiture
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 12:05 PM   #666
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Great, now we're having "theme" weeks. This one is "Made in America". I have to wonder what other themes The PDJT is going to come up with.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:10 PM   #667
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Great, now we're having "theme" weeks. This one is "Made in America". I have to wonder what other themes The PDJT is going to come up with.
They've been doing it since the beginning but every week turns into consumed in scandal by our own stupidity and incompetence week.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 12:12 PM   #668
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Every week seems to be "Bring Your Children to Work" week for Trump.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 12:15 PM   #669
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
As I recall, asset forfeiture is one of those issues with fairly broad dislike that crosses partisan lines. Might be something Democrats can make hay out of.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 12:17 PM   #670
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
As I recall, asset forfeiture is one of those issues with fairly broad dislike that crosses partisan lines. Might be something Democrats can make hay out of.
Being able to steal "confiscate" property without convicting the owner tends to over like a lead balloon with most people.
Old 17th July 2017, 01:00 PM   #671
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Great, now we're having "theme" weeks. This one is "Made in America".
What does that mean in practice? No buying Ivanka's stuff this week?
Old 17th July 2017, 02:43 PM   #672
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What does that mean in practice? No buying Ivanka's stuff this week?
An article headline I just saw shows apparently they already have to defend that.
Old 17th July 2017, 03:25 PM   #673
NoahFence
Banned

Oi vey.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 03:45 PM   #674
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

He's already used Take Your Kid To Work about as far as he can, so that one's out.

For a few years, anyway.

(Drat. Ninja'd by Spindrift.)

Last edited by quadraginta; 17th July 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 17th July 2017, 05:27 PM   #675
SezMe
post-pre-born

The bolded "he" in this sentence:

refers to Donald Trump Trump won't go after a fellow Republican as eagerly as he'd go after a Democrat.i
Aha!
Old 17th July 2017, 05:48 PM   #676
SezMe
post-pre-born

The media has no role other than to generate a profit.
Not according to the Constitution.
Old 17th July 2017, 06:11 PM   #677
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Not according to the Constitution.
I don't care what the Constitution says.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:46 PM   #678
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I was just going to point out to the rest of the forum that arguing with you about Constitutional issues is pointless because of this. Thank you for ninja'ing me.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2017, 06:59 PM   #679
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I was just going to point out to the rest of the forum that arguing with you about Constitutional issues is pointless because of this. Thank you for ninja'ing me.
FTFY
Old 17th July 2017, 07:17 PM   #680
NoahFence
Banned

I think we got that by now.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics