IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 11:51 PM   #681
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
While the party machinery seems to have less and less formaluzed patronage than they used to, the populace at large do seem to clamor for it these days, albeit in different ways.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Posts of reference are a couple of pages back, sorry 'bout that. Anyway, found this little gem in today's Post:

Quote:
I asked The Post’s polling chief, Scott Clement, to run a regression analysis testing how views of the economy shape overall support for Trump when other variables such as party are held constant. The result was powerful: People who approve of his handling of the economy are 40 or 50 percentage points more likely to approve of him overall.
I'd like to see that analysis run on all voters as well.
Old 18th July 2017, 04:52 AM   #682
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't care what the Constitution says.
Then why did you quote it?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 04:59 AM   #683
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes he is. He genuinely thinks that this is a compliment - probably because if someone said the same to him about Melania, he'd be pleased as Punch.
How else are you supposed to compliment a woman? They are nothing more than Tits and asses after all, just look at what possible traits Trump thought Ivanka could get from her mother.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:01 AM   #684
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump tells Macron's wife he would have intercourse with her, if he were not all tied up. What with the presidency and all.
He would never hit on a woman over 30 except by mistake.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:03 AM   #685
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
How the can a scandal be worse than Russia installing a US President?
Because Russia is the ideal republican state, why would they take issue with such a natural conservative ally?
Old 18th July 2017, 05:04 AM   #686
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Because Russia is the ideal republican state
Wow, they're really nostalgic for the cold war, aren't they?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:08 AM   #687
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Then why did you quote it?
You have to be more specific. I use it a lot for legal or challenging arguments made by people who do think of it as an ethical document.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:19 AM   #688
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
As I recall, asset forfeiture is one of those issues with fairly broad dislike that crosses partisan lines. Might be something Democrats can make hay out of.
To easy to make them seem anti-cop if you take to strong a stand against it.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:22 AM   #689
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Wow, they're really nostalgic for the cold war, aren't they?
Your employer can force you to pray and talking about gays is illegal, can you find a better republican state than that?
Old 18th July 2017, 06:47 AM   #690
Civet
Graduate Poster

To easy to make them seem anti-cop if you take to strong a stand against it.
I was thinking of something moderate like requiring an actual conviction first. Be shamelessly manipulative by trotting out some stories of basically law-abiding motherly types who lost their houses. Make sure you include some white folks who speak English. Gin us some really calculated outrage.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:58 AM   #691
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I was thinking of something moderate like requiring an actual conviction first. Be shamelessly manipulative by trotting out some stories of basically law-abiding motherly types who lost their houses. Make sure you include some white folks who speak English. Gin us some really calculated outrage.
#blueincomesmatter
Old 18th July 2017, 09:25 AM   #692
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

I don't care what the Constitution says.
We've noticed...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 09:39 AM   #693
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
We've noticed...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Why should anybody on what is the function of a group? We don't reference the Constitution of Kenya to tell us what the purpose of media is.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 11:16 AM   #694
Spindrift

Why should anybody on what is the function of a group? We don't reference the Constitution of Kenya to tell us what the purpose of media is.
If the discussion is the media in Kenya, we might.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 11:24 AM   #695
BobTheCoward
Banned

If the discussion is the media in Kenya, we might.
That doesn't actually alter the function of media.
Old 18th July 2017, 11:44 AM   #696
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

Mod Info 95 posts which discussed plural and compulsory voting have been split to a new thread.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 18th July 2017, 12:07 PM   #697
Spindrift

That doesn't actually alter the function of media.
I don't know what the Kenyan constitution says about the media so I don't know.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:20 PM   #698
BobTheCoward
Banned

I don't know what the Kenyan constitution says about the media so I don't know.
It doesn't matter what any government says. They don't get to define the role.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:24 PM   #699
NoahFence
Banned

It doesn't matter what any government says. They don't get to define the role.
Why would it? I don't think anyone is making that argument, with the exception of you.
The constitution was written in part to protect the media, but it was never meant to define the role of the media. The media does that.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 12:30 PM   #700
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Poll: Trump trails Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Booker in matchups

Originally Posted by The Hill
The survey of registered voters, conducted by Public Policy Polling, found Trump trailing by wide margins against Sanders — 52 percent to 39 percent — and Biden — 54 percent to 39 percent.

The poll also found Trump losing in hypothetical matchups against Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), although by smaller margins.

Trump trails Warren by 7 points, 42 percent to 49 percent; Booker by 5 points, 40 percent to 45 percent; and Harris by 1 point, 40 percent to 41 percent.

In a hypothetical race against Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Trump would see a tie, 40 percent to 40 percent.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 12:32 PM   #701
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Why would it? I don't think anyone is making that argument, with the exception of you.
The constitution was written in part to protect the media, but it was never meant to define the role of the media. The media does that.
Post 676 sezme said that the Constitution disagreed with me after I argued about the role. That is someone making the argument other than me.
Old 18th July 2017, 05:36 PM   #702
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

On the plus side, Trump is clearly miserable as president. Happy people wouldn't tweet the things he puts out. Only someone completely miserable would tweet the things he did about "The Morning Joe" team or the nonsense about Podesta's e-mails while at the G20. Those tweets show someone in real anguish.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 05:40 PM   #703
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
On the plus side, Trump is clearly miserable as president.
He's a miserable human. He clearly has an inferiority complex, in my totally layman's opinion. I guess his daddy gave him money but not much love and support.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:05 PM   #704
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He's a miserable human. He clearly has an inferiority complex, in my totally layman's opinion. I guess his daddy gave him money but not much love and support.
When I say "the plus side", the plus is just that I think it's funny when he's suffering. Pundits, media and late-night comedy inflict psychological violence on him and that fact that it obviously wounds him amuses me.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th July 2017, 06:08 PM   #705
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
On the plus side, Trump is clearly miserable as president. Happy people wouldn't tweet the things he puts out. Only someone completely miserable would tweet the things he did about "The Morning Joe" team or the nonsense about Podesta's e-mails while at the G20. Those tweets show someone in real anguish.
Much of the general electorate shares his pain apparently. Even if they are wrong about his role as savior, his angst does resonate with some segment of voters.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 06:44 AM   #706
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Not according to the Constitution.
The constitution says nothing about the role of the media.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
Old 19th July 2017, 06:47 AM   #707
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The constitution says nothing about the role of the media.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
If it did say, why would anyone turn to it as a source?
Old 19th July 2017, 06:57 AM   #708
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

If it did say, why would anyone turn to it as a source?
A source for what?
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 07:37 PM   #709
Civet
Graduate Poster

#blueincomesmatter
Even Infowars is pissed at Sessions about the civil asset forfeiture stuff. But they're attacking Session only, not blaming it on Trump. They do note that opposition to it is a bipartisan issue.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 08:11 PM   #710
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Sessions is probably hoping to combine federal civil asset forfeiture with federal attacks on legalized marijuana. They could rake in millions from people unlikely to resist with guns.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th July 2017, 08:15 PM   #711
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Sessions is probably hoping to combine federal civil asset forfeiture with federal attacks on legalized marijuana. They could rake in millions from people unlikely to resist with guns.
Could be.
Given that legal weed shops aren't allowed to use banks, they have to carry cash around.
Old 20th July 2017, 02:53 AM   #712
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Even Infowars is pissed at Sessions about the civil asset forfeiture stuff. But they're attacking Session only, not blaming it on Trump. They do note that opposition to it is a bipartisan issue.
You can add Trump to the list of people bashing Sessions, although the president excels so much at the Throw-under-the-Bus event (all weights and distances), that this should surprise no one.

Ivanka's new clothing line?
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 03:02 AM   #713
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
The interesting question is how little votes trump can get, especially compared to his opponent, and still win the election.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 04:08 AM   #714
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

OMG, this transcript of his NYT interview.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/1...IUWhjwtR?amp=1

How does he still not know the difference between health and life insurance?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 04:23 AM   #715
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
The interesting question is how little votes trump can get, especially compared to his opponent, and still win the election.
The poll surveyed 836 people. That's a very small sample.

Old 20th July 2017, 04:50 AM   #716
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

The poll surveyed 836 people. That's a very small sample.
Most polls have a sample size of around 1000-1500. 836 is on the low side, but it's not really off the curve.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 04:51 AM   #717
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Most polls have a sample size of around 1000-1500. 836 is on the low side, but it's not really off the curve.
Is that supposed to be significant, though? It's hard to extrapolate from 800 to 300 million.

Old 20th July 2017, 04:52 AM   #718
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Is that supposed to be significant, though? It's hard to extrapolate from 800 to 300 million.
It's what pollsters do.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th July 2017, 05:34 AM   #719
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But what about support for it, and expanding it's use like the administration wants?
Old 20th July 2017, 05:36 AM   #720
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
You can add Trump to the list of people bashing Sessions, although the president excels so much at the Throw-under-the-Bus event (all weights and distances), that this should surprise no one.

Ivanka's new clothing line?
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11321
Of course, Trump is shocked that any of his appointees would show any professional ethics. This predictably infuriates him.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics