IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:32 PM   #801
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Reading his tweets from this morning, he truly has no idea how things work in DC, does he?

Trump is ignorant on how the government works and in fact, Trump is so ignorant that he didn't even know that Israel was located in the Middle East!!
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:38 PM   #802
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Trump is ignorant on how the government works and in fact, Trump is so ignorant that he didn't even know that Israel was located in the Middle East!!
I'll admit that I've been genuinely surprised at how much trouble Trump has had getting the Republicans in Congress to function. I thought that they'd kill Obamacare off quickly and have some sort of upper-class tax cut in place by now. I wasn't expecting anything I'd be particularly happy with, but I didn't expect such dysfunction and inaction. I doubt Trump did either.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:39 PM   #803
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Se, I'm a middle of the road bloke. Que cera, cera. But given that, the drump is deeply disturbing. He seems entirely self unaware.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:04 PM   #804
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'll admit that I've been genuinely surprised at how much trouble Trump has had getting the Republicans in Congress to function. I thought that they'd kill Obamacare off quickly and have some sort of upper-class tax cut in place by now. I wasn't expecting anything I'd be particularly happy with, but I didn't expect such dysfunction and inaction. I doubt Trump did either.
When it comes to Obamacare, this is pretty much what I expected.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=315181
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:10 PM   #805
FenerFan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
This means nothing to me.
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:26 PM   #806
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
No patience for deeper learning. A bum.
I first read that as "diaper learning" and, by god, it works that way too.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:31 PM   #807
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
"Counsel."
I see what you did to that quote. C'mon, fella, fess up.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 07:18 AM   #808
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Number 1 reason people have unfavorable opinion of Trump.

What's quite interesting but probably not a surprise is the number 1 reason people dislike Trump. It is his character. This stands in sharp contrasts with his predecessors where character issues hardly were a factor at all with an exception of Bill Clinton But even with Bill hardly anyone cited it as the most objectionable trait. Policy positions is pretty much always the problem people have with a President.

Trump OTOH is hated most for who he is as a human being with his character being cited universally as his most objectionable trait. Even among his supporters. Since being elected Trump has lost any moderate support he has had. This will be essential to get back but seems unlikely.
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:36 AM   #809
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

You certainly had a much better read on the Republicans than I did. Makes me wonder if some folks with previously safe seats might face some alt-right primary challenges. Also makes me wonder what role Trump personally might play in a scenario like that. I can see him wanting payback against anyone who he sees as thwarting his plans and making him look ineffective.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:43 AM   #810
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

You certainly had a much better read on the Republicans than I did. Makes me wonder if some folks with previously safe seats might face some alt-right primary challenges. Also makes me wonder what role Trump personally might play in a scenario like that. I can see him wanting payback against anyone who he sees as thwarting his plans and making him look ineffective.
Which with the latest moves on Russian sanctions will be most of the GOP in the House and Senate...

I can't see him being able to restrain himself from taking revenge for the slight.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:57 AM   #811
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

Actually, this doesn't surprise me either. The core of Obamacare/Romneycare was created not by Democrats but by the Heritage Foundation. But It's not over yet. Not by a longshot. A great many conservatives are pissed and have pledged revenge against the Republicans that opposed it threatening primary challenges.
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:08 AM   #812
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What's quite interesting but probably not a surprise is the number 1 reason people dislike Trump. It is his character. This stands in sharp contrasts with his predecessors where character issues hardly were a factor at all with an exception of Bill Clinton But even with Bill hardly anyone cited it as the most objectionable trait. Policy positions is pretty much always the problem people have with a President.

Trump OTOH is hated most for who he is as a human being with his character being cited universally as his most objectionable trait. Even among his supporters. Since being elected Trump has lost any moderate support he has had. This will be essential to get back but seems unlikely.
It's fairly simple to explain. We have never had a president with such low character before. There are times when I have not liked presidents, but I've never thought they were bad people. Bill Clinton's "character issues" were primarily things brought up by political opponents that they were sure we were supposed to care about, like philandering or dope smoking. (For youngsters in the audience, they really did try to make an issue out of the fact that Bill Clinton smoked weed when he was in college.) He wasn't a bad person. I had a lot to say about W's personal flaws, but they weren't things that made him an awful human being.

Trump really is an awful human being. His lies aren't weasel words that he uses to speak out of both sides of his mouth, like other politicians. He tells the old fashioned kind. He just plain lies for personal gain. He's a swindler. (Trump U? We seriously elected someone responsible for that?) He just makes things up. If we wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, we could just say he's insane, and that he really believes his inauguration crowds were bigger than Obama's, despite evidence, and that he really believes he won the popular vote, but it was stolen.

But even if he's crazy, he's crazy in a self-serving, narcissistic way. He's still a bad person.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:02 PM   #813
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Trump slams 'sad' Republicans who won't 'protect' him

"It's very sad that Republicans, even some that were carried over the line on my back, do very little to protect their President."

Protect him from what? He doesn't say, so I suppose he assumes everyone knows what he means. Most of us do, and it ain't fake news.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 05:26 PM   #814
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

His coat tails were pretty meager. North Carolina Republicans lost their statehouse while he won the state. Democrats gained in the Senate while he won the White House. His limited coat tails don't likely encourage other Republicans to ignore Russian meddling or commit political suicide by repealing the ACA.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 06:30 PM   #815
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
His coat tails were pretty meager. North Carolina Republicans lost their statehouse while he won the state. Democrats gained in the Senate while he won the White House. His limited coat tails don't likely encourage other Republicans to ignore Russian meddling or commit political suicide by repealing the ACA.
As we approach the midterms, it'll be interesting to see how many candidates try to run as Trump Republicans echoing aspects of his style and rhetoric while seeking his endorsement and how many try as hard as they can to distance themselves from him.
Old 23rd July 2017, 06:50 PM   #816
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

"It's very sad that Republicans, even some that were carried over the line on my back, do very little to protect their President."

Protect him from what? He doesn't say, so I suppose he assumes everyone knows what he means. Most of us do, and it ain't fake news.
And Trump imagines everyone was elected on his coattails when they weren't. More pathologic narcissism. No doubt if/when there are big GOP losses in 2018 he'll not be blaming himself.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:27 PM   #817
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
His coat tails were pretty meager.
I'm not even sure of that. Is there any evidence that any of the federal level electees were successful because of Trump heading the ballot? Or, to ease that question a bit, is there any electee or pundit that simply claims that Trump was essential to their success?
Old 23rd July 2017, 11:22 PM   #818
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And Trump imagines everyone was elected on his coattails when they weren't. More pathologic narcissism. No doubt if/when there are big GOP losses in 2018 he'll not be blaming himself.

Of course not.

It'll be because they didn't support and "protect" him like they should have.

Wittingly or un, he's already setting up for that one.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 12:59 AM   #819
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I can't help but feel that Spicey's analysis that the Scaramucci hire is a mistake (if that is being correctly reported through the backchannels) is accurate. This guy sets my spidey senses tingling like crazy.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 01:22 AM   #820
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I can't help but feel that Spicey's analysis that the Scaramucci hire is a mistake (if that is being correctly reported through the backchannels) is accurate. This guy sets my spidey senses tingling like crazy.
I'm not sure that Spicer carried out an analysis of the other guy, I think it's more likely that he's just annoyed that he didn't get the job - especially because he was apparently already performing part of the job.

Scaramucci is *exactly* the right guy from the President's point of view - someone who will be 100% loyal (even if he wasn't in the past) and who is entirely unqualified.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 01:26 AM   #821
Cain
Straussian

Has anyone noticed how much Sean Spicer and Steve Bannon resemble Rob Lowe?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 01:57 AM   #822
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not sure that Spicer carried out an analysis of the other guy, I think it's more likely that he's just annoyed that he didn't get the job - especially because he was apparently already performing part of the job.

Scaramucci is *exactly* the right guy from the President's point of view - someone who will be 100% loyal (even if he wasn't in the past) and who is entirely unqualified.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. He is behaving like a mercenary and you only have them for as long as they are paid.

What if he was really in the job only for a behind-the-scenes look at this trainwreck?*[/KeaneuReeves.jpg]

*A whacky idea that came to my mind as he spoke with Jake Tapper about reviewing his position on some points after his awated security clearance gives him more access to info.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 24th July 2017 at 02:01 AM.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 02:18 AM   #823
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post

"It's very sad that Republicans the lords, even some that were carried over the line on my back, do very little to protect their President king."
Fixed that for him.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 02:26 AM   #824
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. He is behaving like a mercenary and you only have them for as long as they are paid.

What if he was really in the job only for a behind-the-scenes look at this trainwreck?*[/KeaneuReeves.jpg]

*A whacky idea that came to my mind as he spoke with Jake Tapper about reviewing his position on some points after his awaited security clearance gives him more access to info.
/concur. Spicey was more of a lap-dog. Did what he was told as best he could, but seemed genuinely grateful and loyal. 'The Mooch' seems like an oily attack dog, oozing ingratiating comments. I wouldn't put my hand too close. That's going to be an interesting fire when it starts, imo.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 03:31 AM   #825
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why don't we just let FoxNews run the country, cut out the middle man?
We elected their comments section to the white house, what more do we need to do?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 03:59 AM   #826
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And twitler is at it again this morning....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 05:51 AM   #827
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The TOTUS. Tweeter of the United States.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 06:57 AM   #828
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He restated that tweet I asked Trump supporters here about. No one responded though. Bums me out.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 07:28 AM   #829
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Isn't he now paid by the American taxpayer, not by Trump himself? I doubt he's going to stiff someone when it's not his money.
Old 24th July 2017, 11:30 AM   #830
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.07a825d39bcf

This is the Washington Post's interpretation of that tweet.
Fox News giving Trump his opinions again.

Ninja'd by Capel Dodger
Saw an update last night: The NYTimes has asked Fox for an apology. The explanation is pretty detailed, but the short answer: the only story in the Times was on June 8. The raid that failed to get the guy was on May 18.

The stuff that was in the Times before the raid was based on a press release from the Pentagon.

So, in summary, The New York Times was responsible for foiling the raid because they published the Pentagon press release.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #831
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Saw an update last night: The NYTimes has asked Fox for an apology. The explanation is pretty detailed, but the short answer: the only story in the Times was on June 8. The raid that failed to get the guy was on May 18.

The stuff that was in the Times before the raid was based on a press release from the Pentagon.

So, in summary, The New York Times was responsible for foiling the raid because they published the Pentagon press release.
Of course, The Pentagon is the source of the leaks!

Who would've thought of that?

I wonder if anyone has updated the tweeter in chief?

Or, Fox could act appropriately and they could update the POTUS?
Old 24th July 2017, 03:38 PM   #832
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I'm glad the Times did this, because I was coming up with my own theories that were pretty much in line with what the explanation said.

Believe it or not, U.S. journalists by and large are not keen to endanger U.S. national security. Even per Gen. Thomas, there was a balance between keeping the public informed of progress vs. working in total operational secrecy. This was a conflict occurring among federal officials. A spokesman for the Special Operations Command - a civilian - was keen to point out that Umm Sayyaf's capture was announced by the Pentagon, not the operations guys.

I also suspect that the NYT and the military work closely to safeguard truly critical information. There is still a great gaping hole in this story. The NYT and the military both seem to be pointing to news of Sayyaf's capture as the damaging factor. But Thomas spoke of a U.S. lead in ISIS that went dead a week later due to a "leak." The NYT says it was more than 3 weeks later. Was Thomas talking about Umm Sayyaf when he said a lead "went dead"? This could have been because she didn't have any more intelligence - and she probably had zero knowledge of where Al Baghdadi would be 3 weeks after her capture. She could have gotten a lawyer as well.

However the original Times article also states:
Quote:
At least one informant deep inside the group played a crucial role in helping track Abu Sayyaf, said a senior military official who was briefed on plans for the raid.

Abu Sayyaf’s wife, Umm Sayyaf, who was captured in the operation, has also provided information to investigators, one senior American official said.
Thomas's group would not say what part of the June 2015 article was a "leak," and to me this raises the question ... is/was there another mole? Who was still with IS after the raid on Abu Sayyaf's compound? Was the original informant Sayyaf's wife?

I remember well that no one was more horrified than the editors of my paper when we covered a undercover cop's funeral and showed a picture of 6 pallbearers - who were all undercover cops. No one warned us against taking the picture and we sincerely wished that the police had informed us. It was never our intention to blow cover on 6 police officers. If the police had told us to suppress that photograph for the safety of officers we would have, in a heartbeat. Journalists do not want to burn their sources. Even when their sources are saying too much.

Last edited by Minoosh; 24th July 2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: clarification - 2 moles?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 03:43 PM   #833
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post
Or, Fox could act appropriately and they could update the POTUS?
It takes more than 140 characters to explain. I'm reading very critically, and am still not sure either the Times or the federal government is revealing all they know.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:18 PM   #834
Arcade22
Philosopher

Some people might think it's poor form to turn a boy scouts jamboree into a divisive political rally where you bash your political opponents and a former president.

Trump has only one thing to say about that and it's fake news.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:31 PM   #835
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Some people might think it's poor form to turn a boy scouts jamboree into a divisive political rally where you bash your political opponents and a former president.

What a jerk
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:36 PM   #836
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

So was that the biggest scout crowd ever?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th July 2017, 11:37 PM   #837
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post

Quote:
“As the Scout Law says: ‘A Scout is trustworthy, loyal’—we could use some more loyalty, I will tell you that,” Trump said, and paused there. The assembled scouts shouted the rest of it for him: “…helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.”
There's something poetic about that. I doubt that Trump noticed.
Old 24th July 2017, 11:41 PM   #838
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It takes more than 140 characters to explain. I'm reading very critically, and am still not sure either the Times or the federal government is revealing all they know.
I've made a similar joke recently but the frightening reality is that it really isn't a joke. This seems to be a person who cannot grasp any even moderately complex issue, that has no intention of educating himself or working through complex issues to gain a required understanding to make a reasoned decision - he is wilfully ignorant. Add in his apparent need for constant external validation and you have someone who should not be in charge of anything never mind the POTUS.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th July 2017, 12:58 AM   #839
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I've made a similar joke recently but the frightening reality is that it really isn't a joke. This seems to be a person who cannot grasp an<SNIP>
TL;DR
Old 25th July 2017, 01:00 AM   #840
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I've made a similar joke recently but the frightening reality is that it really isn't a joke. This seems to be a person who cannot grasp any even moderately complex issue, that has no intention of educating himself or working through complex issues to gain a required understanding to make a reasoned decision - he is wilfully ignorant. Add in his apparent need for constant external validation and you have someone who should not be in charge of anything never mind the POTUS.
I'm hoping for, and maybe betting on, the U.S. voting public to wise up and at least ask what's going on. Trump vilifies the Times but wants it to like him at the same time. I am still pondering that "leak" story. All I can think of is maybe someone in the military was overly boastful of the volume of information extracted from ISIS electronics. Why that would change ISIS' behavior 3 weeks later isn't clear.

Democrats, or whoever, need to adapt to the Twitter format. I believe someone edited Trump's most recent tweets, based on the lack of spelling errors (Abu Bakr al Baghdadi; "beleaguered"). This development will be short-lived, as are all efforts to moderate Trump's petulant form. In the meantime, opponents must learn how to push back - entertainingly - in 140 characters. They need great candidates for the 2018 elections and they need to get very smart about how to use wedge issues to split votes and increase rancor in GOP congressional primaries.

I'm thinking Dems might do well to draft show-business personalities as actual candidates - not just to use Beyonce, Jay-Z and Katy Perry as last-minute props trotted out to support an uninspiring candidate.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics