IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 09:01 AM   #241
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Remember when the right was desperately trying to paint Hillary as being insane because of cherry picked pictures and a looped video of her nodding?

Yeah.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 09:08 AM   #242
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

This very much fits with the universal observation that Trump always goes with the last idea he heard - could it be that he has forgotten the others.
Mind you, this is a guy who once claimed that he never forgets anything.
Old 5th July 2017, 09:09 AM   #243
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This very much fits with the universal observation that Trump always goes with the last idea he heard - could it be that he has forgotten the others.
That is so exploitable as a flaw.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 09:10 AM   #244
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That is so exploitable as a flaw.
But is it the easiest flaw of his to exploit, or does his need to hear constant praise beat it out?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 09:12 AM   #245
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Your link seems to think that hotlinking is bad, Stacko.
Damn it! Photobucket changed their ToS.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 09:41 AM   #246
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Yes, Photobucket now requires a paid account if you want to hotlink your own images.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:10 AM   #247
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Your link seems to think that hotlinking is bad, Stacko.

Work now?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:11 AM   #248
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Unbelievable.
Was he looking for a cab?
Golf cart.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:11 AM   #249
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

that's what I meant: either is a possibility, and Trump's rambling would, in another family, have already prompted his children to have some test run by doctors, just for his sake.
I did suggest, early in Trump's run, that his children had put him up to it to generate evidence for a competency hearing.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:15 AM   #250
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Trump looks for friendlier European welcome in Poland

Originally Posted by AP
According to Polish media reports, Poland’s government promised the White House a reception of cheering crowds as part of its invitation. To make good on that pledge, ruling party lawmakers and pro-government activists plan to bus in groups from the provinces to hear Trump’s speech.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:17 AM   #251
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Work now?
Yep.

Gerald Ford was a slacker, compared to his fellow party members.
Old 5th July 2017, 10:18 AM   #252
Belz...
Fiend God

Work now?
If the intent was to inform my views of the GOP, yes, it worked.

Old 5th July 2017, 10:19 AM   #253
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
As long as he doesn't make a comment about making sure the US gets at least the western half of Poland...

Old 5th July 2017, 10:24 AM   #254
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I can imagine the live translation:

Interpreter: Sounds like he's about to make a joke, get ready to laugh.

Trump: Five. One to hold the light bulb and four to turn the ladder.

Interpreter: Joke has been made, laugh heartily.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 12:38 PM   #255
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

As long as he doesn't make a comment about making sure the US gets at least the western half of Poland...
And... don't mention the war!
Old 5th July 2017, 02:46 PM   #256
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump delays unveiling ISIS plan because it's the same as Obama's.

Quote:
That’s presented a dilemma for those working on the Trump anti-ISIS strategy and slowed its public unveiling, U.S. officials tell The Daily Beast. The White House has asked defense officials to come up with new ideas to help brand the Trump campaign as different from its predecessor, according to two U.S. officials and one senior administration official. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive debates.
Old 5th July 2017, 02:49 PM   #257
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Typical Trump to take credit for the work of someone else.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 02:57 PM   #258
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
I can imagine the live translation:

Interpreter: Sounds like he's about to make a joke, get ready to laugh.

Trump: Five. One to hold the light bulb and four to turn the ladder.

Interpreter: Joke has been made, laugh heartily.
Reference presented more elegantly than I would have.
Old 5th July 2017, 04:57 PM   #259
Mumbles
Philosopher

To be absiolutely fair...

He was likely expecting to return via Marine One (the chopper - usually), instead of The Beast.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 05:38 PM   #260
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

His comments about the trip only prove he's impervious to education. He's still talking about the NATO contribution as if NATO members pay into a common fund. That's not how it works. NATO member are supposed to get to a point where they spend two percent of GDP on national defense (that meets NATO interoperability standards). He still doesn't get the difference.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 10:52 PM   #261
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

The study unfortunately concluded:

“His language difficulties could be due to the immense pressure he’s under, or to annoyance that things aren’t going right and that there are all these scandals,” he said. “It could also be due to a neurodegenerative disease or the normal cognitive decline that comes with aging.” Trump will be 71 next month.

that we don't know why we see the decline.

McHrozni
Old 5th July 2017, 10:58 PM   #262
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

This could be good for Poland, it could be PiS will lose some of its appeal with the Poles as a result of their subservience to Trump. Poland could use such a boost of sanity.

McHrozni
Old 6th July 2017, 12:01 AM   #263
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
The study unfortunately concluded:

“His language difficulties could be due to the immense pressure he’s under, or to annoyance that things aren’t going right and that there are all these scandals,” he said. “It could also be due to a neurodegenerative disease or the normal cognitive decline that comes with aging.” Trump will be 71 next month.

that we don't know why we see the decline.

McHrozni
Is one of those really preferable to the others. The fact is the emperor not only has no new clothes but is dancing buck nekkid in the sprinkler system.

"Well, he's under a lot of pressure"? Gee, that doesn't worry us at all; the POTUS can't handle pressure and reverts to grammar school vocabulary and syntax.

"Oh, no, it's because of all the scandals distracting him" is really just a re-wording of the above with a specific stressful item.

"Oh, it's okay. He's not really an idiot, he's just degenerated into that condition because of a neurological condition (which he denies having and won't get checked up for) or normal aging". Oh, that's good. The POTUS is behaving like an idiot, does not comprehend the basics of either the way the country works or of foreign relations/diplomacy, and will get better once he gets younger, again. That makes me feel all better.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 12:24 AM   #264
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump has said that he thought being president was less stressful than running his company or TV show, and now finds it is harder.
Given how much time he spends golfing, he has no right to be stressed to a degree that would make him unable to talk or write coherently, or remember basic facts.

The 25th Amendment only asks whether the president be able to do his job - it is supposed to be triggered when he is not regardless of the reason why.
Old 6th July 2017, 12:25 AM   #265
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I agree with the highlighted. For too long, politicians of every stripe have gone into full meltdown when anything which can be perceived as being negative is brought up. Quite often the denial, cover up and explanation is far more damaging than the original allegation ever was.

- You said this forty years ago when you were in college
- No I didn't
- Yes you did here's the transcript
- Well yes I said it but I didn't mean it then and I don't mean it now
(the politician is now a proven liar and flip-flopper)

Contrast this with the "owning it" approach

- You said this forty years ago when you were in college
- Yes, guess I was a bit of an ass in college let me explain how I've changed
(the politician looks human)

edited to add....

In any case the comment to which you were referring related only to GOP challengers to Trump.
I can see the attack ad now. "Yes, I was a bit of an ass."
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 12:38 AM   #266
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
.....and the way to defuse that is to "own" having been an ass.

As soon as you show defensiveness about something then your political opponents know that they have you, and you start looking shifty to the electorate. If Trump has taught us anything, it's that things that would otherwise have been scandalous can be ridden out if you're just brazen about it - you appear strong.

Weakness OTOH comes from being defensive about things and being seen to be indecisive.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 01:05 AM   #267
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Not terribly surprising considering the fact that Poland has laws against insulting its own leaders as well as visiting dignitaries.

Quote:
In Poland not only can you be charged for insulting your own leader, but visiting dignitaries are afforded the same protection from slander. In 2005 police arrested 28 protesters demonstrating against the visit of Russian President Vladimir Putin under Article 136 of Polish criminal law.

There was also the case of Robert Frycz, sentenced to 15 months community service in 2012 for insulting the president on his website Antykomor.pl. Frycz insisted his content was satirical, such as Komor Killer, a game which allowed visitors to fire vegetables at a virtual president. President Bronislaw Komorowski attempted to “distance himself from the case:“http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/11...-head-of-state and later said: “Personally, I can manage without such legal protection.”
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 01:13 AM   #268
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post

People vote for certainty and consistency. Wisely changing one's mind after careful study of overwhelming evidence is, more often than not, a vote loser.

Human beings are just really, really bad at thinking.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 01:24 AM   #269
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
People vote for certainty and consistency. Wisely changing one's mind after careful study of overwhelming evidence is, more often than not, a vote loser.

Human beings are just really, really bad at thinking.
According to Trump, when he changes his support from X to Y, he had always supported Y.
According to his supporters, he'd carefully studied the evidence and changed his mind, as a good leader does.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 01:31 AM   #270
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is one of those really preferable to the others. The fact is the emperor not only has no new clothes but is dancing buck nekkid in the sprinkler system.

"Well, he's under a lot of pressure"? Gee, that doesn't worry us at all; the POTUS can't handle pressure and reverts to grammar school vocabulary and syntax.

"Oh, no, it's because of all the scandals distracting him" is really just a re-wording of the above with a specific stressful item.

"Oh, it's okay. He's not really an idiot, he's just degenerated into that condition because of a neurological condition (which he denies having and won't get checked up for) or normal aging". Oh, that's good. The POTUS is behaving like an idiot, does not comprehend the basics of either the way the country works or of foreign relations/diplomacy, and will get better once he gets younger, again. That makes me feel all better.
The most desirable is a medical condition. That has real chance of us getting rid of him sooner rather than later. I'm saying we shouldn't get our hopes up. The normal age degradation, which this could well be, is too slow to incapacitate him by 2020 so barring a few major tectonic shifts he will need to lose that election. It looks bad for him on this front, but the same is true for all 2015-16 predictions.

McHrozni
Old 6th July 2017, 01:35 AM   #271
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
As soon as you show defensiveness about something then your political opponents know that they have you, and you start looking shifty to the electorate. If Trump has taught us anything, it's that things that would otherwise have been scandalous can be ridden out if you're just brazen about it - you appear strong.
It shows us this works with the retard vote, nothing more. It doesn't tell us much about how the rest of the country would react. The retard vote was enough to snatch a narrow electoral college victory in 2016, it doesn't tell us being brazen and strong about what would otherwise be scandalous can sail you to victory if you don't actively court the retard vote.

McHrozni
Old 6th July 2017, 01:41 AM   #272
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

This just in, Trump will ask in Poland it is a fundamental question if the West has the will to survive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40515329

All the irony about his inappropriate relations with Russia of all places aside, it is a quite brilliant move at courting the retard vote some more. He's using the fear of Muslims as a leverage to cement his rule and the rule of those who emulate him, as the governments in Poland and Hungary do.

It will make it even harder to drop his support below the current ~40% and it will have similar effects on Poland and Hungary. It's a bad development for Western civilization and exactly what I was warning about in all those threads about Islam.

McHrozni
Old 6th July 2017, 02:49 AM   #273
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, just wow.
Old 6th July 2017, 03:00 AM   #274
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, just wow.
Yeah, wow. I just saw that press conference in Poland. Wow.

I figure with the time change, the travel, the pressure, and lack of proper sleep, The PDJT is going to slip up bigly this time.
Old 6th July 2017, 04:17 AM   #275
Belz...
Fiend God

Man, I can't see Twitter from here!!! Summary, summary!

Old 6th July 2017, 04:22 AM   #276
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Man, I can't see Twitter from here!!! Summary, summary!
Trump and Rob Kardashian tweeted essentially the same thing about China/Chyna.
Old 6th July 2017, 04:35 AM   #277
NoahFence
Banned

No they didn't.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 04:43 AM   #278
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
No they didn't.
no, no they didn't.
Old 6th July 2017, 04:43 AM   #279
Belz...
Fiend God

...huh?

Old 6th July 2017, 04:46 AM   #280
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
This just in, Trump will ask in Poland it is a fundamental question if the West has the will to survive.
Emulating Trump?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics