IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 6th July 2017, 05:01 AM   #281
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
...huh?
Think possessive ex-boyfriend.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:02 AM   #282
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Yeah, wow. I just saw that press conference in Poland. Wow.

I figure with the time change, the travel, the pressure, and lack of proper sleep, The PDJT is going to slip up bigly this time.
He still doesn't know how NATO is funded.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:15 AM   #283
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
This just in, Trump will ask in Poland it is a fundamental question if the West has the will to survive.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40515329

All the irony about his inappropriate relations with Russia of all places aside, it is a quite brilliant move at courting the retard vote some more. He's using the fear of Muslims as a leverage to cement his rule and the rule of those who emulate him, as the governments in Poland and Hungary do.

It will make it even harder to drop his support below the current ~40% and it will have similar effects on Poland and Hungary. It's a bad development for Western civilization and exactly what I was warning about in all those threads about Islam.

McHrozni

Precisely! We now have the extreme right rising up as guardian angel of democracy, soon to show its demon side. The left has refused to perform even cursory basic analysis, and continues to claim, counter-factually, that "all religions are peaceful" [sic]. Somebody needs to read the Cairo Declaration and drop all that desperate wishful thinking. Here on ISF, as we gleefully take apart theist nonsense, that exercise needs to extend to all creeds. Ideas are ideas, and as such are all fair game. Anything less is... non-analytical virtue signalling and abandonment of proper due diligence.

And so here we are, proto-nazis with puffed chests about to shove their own nonsense down throats, the other main thread in Trump's "values" speech. This will now be used in Germany to paint Merkel as one of the dangerous internal enemies the Donald talked about. Gut punch to freedom today, delivered by the USA. Nice.
Old 6th July 2017, 05:22 AM   #284
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He still doesn't know how NATO is funded.
Thing is that he doesn't care either - and neither do his supporters.

President Trump has repeatedly said that weakness from prior Presidents, especially the last one, has meant that the U.S. is being screwed over by other countries at every turn. If they're not ripping off the U.S. with horribly one-sided trade agreements that mean that the U.S. is flooded with foreign goods whilst at the same time being prevented from exporting hardly at all; then they're hiding behind the U.S.' skirts militarily and not paying their way.

Facts don't really matter in the propagation of this message - indeed facts are inconvenient because they tend to contradict that narrative - but it plays into the sense of persecution which seems to run strongly in certain sections of the U.S.. Think of the white, Christian, middle-aged, middle-class men who, despite all the evidence to the contrary, insist that the deck is stacked against them.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:37 AM   #285
Arcade22
Philosopher

Quote:
Trump closed the press conference with a rambling response to a call from a reporter to “finally answer yes or no” whether he thought Russia interfered in the 2016 US election.

“I think it could very well have been Russia,” he said. |I think it could well have been other countries. I won’t be specific. But I think a lot of people interfere,” Trump said. “Nobody really knows. Nobody really knows for sure.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-warsaw-speech

He still can't admit it.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:48 AM   #286
Belz...
Fiend God

Think possessive ex-boyfriend.
Fine, don't clarify what the tweet is, then.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:03 AM   #287
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Am I reading that incorrectly? Trump's tweet is first - nine hours earlier than Rob Kardashian. Are we criticizing that Rob's not the originator of the thought? A deep thought for a Kardashian usually involves a tanning booth, guessing the secret ingredient in a mojito or someone's butt lift. (He also had the relative good sense to paraphrase - Donald would've just copied.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:08 AM   #288
Mumbles
Philosopher

You don't follow celebrity gossip?

Rob Kardashian is angry at his girlfriend (ex) named Chyna, and got attention by uploading her nude selfies without her permission. And went oin a big tirade about - well, I don't care, and tried to ignore the entire thing.

Trump apparently wrote something about China that closely resembled something Rob the Alien from Star-Trek tweeted about Chyna.

That's all.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:11 AM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
You don't follow celebrity gossip?
No, people's personal lives are no concern of mine.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:14 AM   #290
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

What a shift.
Old 6th July 2017, 06:19 AM   #291
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Not sure it was worth the minute of my time, but here's a screenshot:

On second thought, definitely NOT worth it.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:19 AM   #292
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

What a shift.
It's higher in the one country that matters most to many Republicans - Israel - so it's all good

It's also higher in Russia - so Trump is rebuilding confidence there as well
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:22 AM   #293
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I can see how many Trump supporters might see the chart above as a badge of honor - screw the rest of the world and what they think!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 06:32 AM   #294
Belz...
Fiend God

What a shift.
Interesting outlier, there, too.

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Not sure it was worth the minute of my time, but here's a screenshot:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4289/...395d3b2c35.jpg

On second thought, definitely NOT worth it.
I have to concur.

Old 6th July 2017, 06:43 AM   #295
Garrison
Philosopher

Trump's big speech in Poland:

Trump says Western civilisation at stake in Warsaw speech

Quote:
Holding up Poland as an example of a country ready to defend Western freedoms, he warned against the threats of "terrorism and extremism".
Well it's refreshing to see him own up, oh wait he's talking about the Muslims again isn't he?

On Russia:

Quote:
Instead, he said, Russia should "join the community of responsible nations in our fight against common enemies and in defence of civilisation itself".
This is good time for Russia to join, because a vacancy opened up in January.
Old 6th July 2017, 06:50 AM   #296
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Trump's big speech in Poland:

Trump says Western civilisation at stake in Warsaw speech

Well it's refreshing to see him own up, oh wait he's talking about the Muslims again isn't he?

On Russia:

This is good time for Russia to join, because a vacancy opened up in January.
Odd the BBC decided not to include the part of his speech that was lifted directly from white supremacist rhetoric.

Quote:
“The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive,” he said, employing the same life-or-death language as in his inauguration speech, which promised a war against the “American carnage” of urban crime. “Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it?”
This was a Bannon/Miller joint from trump. It's no surprise that European white supremacists have so eagerly embraced the Confederate flag.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:21 AM   #297
Civet
Graduate Poster

What a shift.
Unpleasant, but not many surprises. It does cause me to wonder about one thing: I've generally assumed that the Russian government considered Trump to be a buffoon who might be a useful tool. Is it possible that the Russian people actually view him as a good leader?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:24 AM   #298
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Unpleasant, but not many surprises. It does cause me to wonder about one thing: I've generally assumed that the Russian government considered Trump to be a buffoon who might be a useful tool. Is it possible that the Russian people actually view him as a good leader?
More like they think it's more likely that he'll do things that are good for Russia.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:24 AM   #299
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Good for Russia. Trump has consistently proven to be spineless when dealing with them and wants the US to capitulate to them.
Old 6th July 2017, 07:40 AM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

How is one to know what the Russian people actually think?

Old 6th July 2017, 07:43 AM   #301
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

How is one to know what the Russian people actually think?
I think you can get pretty good indicators, Putin has very effective propaganda and seems to be genuinely popular.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:54 AM   #302
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's hilarious to hear Trump speak about "protecting traditions" when his thuggish demagogic presidential campaign and presidency has upended so many important political traditions in the US. Evidently some traditions are more worthy of protection than others...

Is it possible that the Russian people actually view him as a good leader?
Many Russians share the same kind of mindset that Trumps most ardent supporters have: "might makes right", "everyone lies all the time so we should too", "the world hates us because we're the best so we'll hate them back" and so on.

The violent, thuggish and dishonest people that support Putin (and Trump) are accomplices and abettors as much as they are "spellbound victims".

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 07:59 AM   #303
Civet
Graduate Poster

I don't have the language skills to consume Russian media. Does anyone know how Trump is generally depicted there?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:15 AM   #304
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I think you can get pretty good indicators, Putin has very effective propaganda and seems to be genuinely popular.
Yeah but my point is: how much of the results we get reliable given Putin's control over the media?

Old 6th July 2017, 08:19 AM   #305
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yeah but my point is: how much of the results we get reliable given Putin's control over the media?
This is an interesting concept, because it is not just about accurately measuring what people believe, but what they would believe under different circumstances.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 08:23 AM   #306
Belz...
Fiend God

This is an interesting concept, because it is not just about accurately measuring what people believe, but what they would believe under different circumstances.
Right. That's like asking how popular Kim Jong Un really is in NK.

Old 6th July 2017, 08:51 AM   #307
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Some solidarity between Eastern European women!
Old 6th July 2017, 08:54 AM   #308
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

John Oliver took a look at this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th July 2017, 09:07 AM   #309
Childlike Empress
Banned

I don't have the language skills to consume Russian media. Does anyone know how Trump is generally depicted there?

A site that is dedicated to translating Russian geopolitical views into English is Fort Russ.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:08 AM   #310
skyeagle409
Master Poster

Good for Russia. Trump has consistently proven to be spineless when dealing with them and wants the US to capitulate to them.

You've got that right. Trump attacked Obama for inaction for Russia's meddling in the 2016 presidential elections (which is incorrect) and yet, he discredited US intelligence agencies on foreign soil in regard to Russia's meddling and is in fact downplaying Russia's meddling. In other words, Trump is downplaying election meddling by an adversary of the United States (Russia).

Dereliction of duty comes to mind if Trump fails to confront Putin head-on on Russia's meddling when they meet.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:11 AM   #311
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Trump attacked Obama for inaction for Russia's meddling in the 2016 presidential elections (which is incorrect) and yet, he discredited US intelligence agencies on foreign soil in regard to Russia's meddling and is in fact downplaying Russia's meddling. In other words, Trump is downplaying election meddling by an adversary of the United States (Russia).
The cognitive dissonance it takes to hold these positions is brain wrinkling to me.
Old 6th July 2017, 09:26 AM   #312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I wonder if she planned that?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 09:43 AM   #313
Arcade22
Philosopher

Just don't make the mistake many people do and assume that RT, formerly known as Russia today, is watched by Russians. Russian TV for Russians is far worse than RT:

Quote:
Back in Moscow we were invited by Anatoly Kuzichev, the host of a political talk show, to sit in the studio during a live broadcast on state television’s Channel One. Nominally the topic under discussion was the anniversary of Hitler’s invasion of the USSR on 22 June 1941 – but this was just a pretext for a hate session against Ukraine, Poland, and anyone who dared to criticise Russia.

In Nineteen Eighty-Four, citizens gather for “Hate Week”, where images of the state’s chief enemy are shown and the audience scream their hatred at him. Here, pictures of a man being arrested in Ukraine for carrying a Soviet flag flickered on the screen, and a token Ukrainian “expert” was allowed to explain why communist symbols are banned there. But within seconds she was shouted down by the two alpha-male hosts, who sneered at her, denouncing the Ukrainian government as Nazis and Russophobes. Her only role, it seemed, was to act as a punch bag. After the show I asked her why she agreed to put herself up for such humiliation. She turned away and refused to speak.

One of the presenters, Artyom Sheinin, a veteran of the Soviet war in Afghanistan, strutted around like an exploding parcel of boorishness and manufactured anger. He cursed the Polish parliament for voting to remove memorials to the Soviet occupation of their country. “I won’t shy from the word,” he said, “these people are bitches, animals … ” His lip curled as he spat the words into the camera.

Sitting next to me was a young floor manager, scarcely in her 20s, whose job was to orchestrate the applause. Whenever the hosts made some particularly venomous comment, she cracked her palms together – giving the signal for the audience to burst into applause – and then after about four seconds gave a circular “wind down” signal, which the audience also followed. I had seen shows like this on Russian TV, and found them distasteful and crude – but seeing it in action left me speechless. I turned to the hate-leader during a commercial break and asked her if she had read George Orwell. She didn’t know who he was.
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rrests-tv-show

As for Putin look at his yearly "call in shows" and you can get an understanding of the image they want to convey: an all powerful alpha male that can fix their problems, however trivial, yet can't because the rest of the government and civil bureaucracy is completely useless. Through no-nonsense talk downs he makes them do their jobs.

He has all the power and gets the final word on any nationwide decision yet shoves all the responsibilities that normally would come with such power unto his underlings. This is why he remains so popular despite the rather terrible situation in the country: he doesn't allow any credible alternative leaders to grow.

Last edited by Arcade22; 6th July 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 6th July 2017, 10:09 AM   #314
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
A site that is dedicated to translating Russian geopolitical views into English is Fort Russ.
Thank you, that looks really interesting. I think I'll add it to my daily rotation of news sites I check.
Old 6th July 2017, 10:20 AM   #315
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

For The Win!
Old 6th July 2017, 10:26 AM   #316
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Gasp! They caught us!

Old 6th July 2017, 10:32 AM   #317
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Class, this is Donald. He will be joining Remedial Nation Leading 101. Donald, you can sit next to Mr. Duterte. It's okay, you can let go now Donald.

Last edited by Spindrift; 6th July 2017 at 10:33 AM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 11:09 AM   #318
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Well knock me over with a feather.

Quote:
Meanwhile, instead of visiting the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising monument, Trump gave a speech at the nearby Warsaw Uprising Monument, which commemorates Polish resistance fighters who rebelled against the Nazis in 1944, rather than the Jewish resistance fighters of the ghetto.

Trump’s decision to skip the Ghetto Uprising monument reflects ongoing problems with anti-Semitism in his administration. The Trump administration has refused to condemn anti-Semitic hate crimes, engaged in Holocaust denial, and let a State Department office to monitor anti-Semitism around the world go unstaffed.

Haaretz also noted in its report that Trump’s speech “seemed to embrace the Polish right wing narrative according to which the Poles were merely victims of the Nazis and did not play a proactive role in the slaughter of Jews.”

To make matters worse, he also mentioned the ghetto uprising alongside the ghetto itself in a list of “evils beyond description” endured by “the Polish people.”
President Bannon is having a field day with Jared in the doghouse.
Old 6th July 2017, 01:24 PM   #319
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

These people are supposedly running the country.

Quote:
Donald Trump*has*reportedly had trouble getting a hotel room for the upcoming G20 summit in Hamburg, Germany.*

His team apparently waited too long to book accommodations for the President and his travelling staff and were told none of the major hotels had vacancies, Buzzfeed reported.*

The local newspaper Hamburger Abendblatt*reported that the Four Seasons had to turn him away*as they were full.*
Old 6th July 2017, 01:30 PM   #320
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
His team apparently waited too long to book accommodations for the President and his travelling staff and were told none of the major hotels had vacancies, Buzzfeed reported.*
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Sorry, we don't have any rooms available."
"He's the friggin President of the United States for pete's sake!"
"Yeah, that's not going to help."

I bet Obama could get a hotel room without any problem.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics