IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Mexico Wants To Rename Itself "Mexico"

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/...nge/index.html

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Ii'll never catch on.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
fuelair
Banned

Probably a good thing...how many people would want to go to Juan's United Mexican States Restaurant and Cantina?
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:14 PM   #4
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

So no more jokes on syfy?
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Why Mexico? Wouldn't the United Totally Awesome States sound better? Or Mordor?
Old 23rd November 2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Jorghnassen
Illuminator

Oh, I think they should keep their "United States of Mexico" name, and unname the United States (of America). They should totally rename the USA as "The Former British Colonies of America (plus other stolen lands)", or something to that effect. Yeah, I know they purchased Louisiana.
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
scratchy
Muse

To make it real clear they should make the full name "Mexico? Yes Mexico!".
scratchy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

... or " Mexico ! It's not just a place people want to leave! "
Old 23rd November 2012, 02:07 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just go back to "New Spain"....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Jorghnassen View Post
Oh, I think they should keep their "United States of Mexico" name, and unname the United States (of America). They should totally rename the USA as "The Former British Colonies of America (plus other stolen lands)", or something to that effect. Yeah, I know they purchased Louisiana.
If they stole the other lands, then Louisiana et al were also stolen, and the French merely fenced them to the USA. If I buy fenced stolen goods, they're still stolen goods.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:08 PM   #11
boooeee
Dart Fener

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Why Mexico? Wouldn't the United Totally Awesome States sound better? Or Mordor?

Metta World Mexico.
boooeee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 03:39 AM   #12
DrDave
Illuminator

Quote:
That's why outgoing Mexican President Felipe Calderon on Thursday sent to the Mexican Congress a piece of legislation to change the country's name officially to simply Mexico.
So the country will be "Simply Mexico". Very Mick Hucknall.
DrDave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:26 AM   #13
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Estados Unidos Mexicanos becomes Mexico. Saves on printer ink I guess.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 06:28 AM   #14
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose it would take a constitutional amendment.

So while hey are in there monkeying around, maybe they will put together a REAL legal system? And include a death penalty for Kidnap for Ransom?

But back to the OP, IIRC, none of their states were ever independent States, were they? Their states are top down, not from the people up divisions. So "United States" is not so appropriate.
Old 24th November 2012, 06:31 AM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
So the country will be "Simply Mexico". Very Mick Hucknall.
Why not? Isn't it where all the Simple Mexicans come from?

Nah, "Mexico" is probably better.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:00 PM   #16
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jorghnassen View Post
Yeah, I know they purchased Louisiana.
It was a steal!!!

The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #17
NotJesus
Unsaviory

It was a steal!!!
So was Alaska.
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Rat View Post
If they stole the other lands, then Louisiana et al were also stolen, and the French merely fenced them to the USA. If I buy fenced stolen goods, they're still stolen goods.
Well played.
Old 25th November 2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by NotJesus View Post
So was Alaska.
Aaaah, you'll never convince me that wasn't folly.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:03 AM   #20
This is The End

Using that logic then every country bought stolen land, or just stole the land themselves with force at least at some point in history, be it form caveman, neanderthals, or from animals.
Old 26th November 2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Frankly, the statute of limitations has long run past on all these actions. Therefore, it's not stolen anymore.

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 07:50 AM   #22
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

What's next, The Commonwealth Of Australia renaming itself to Australia?
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:17 AM   #23
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Okay. Tell them they have my permission.

Although I think they're missing a bet by not going with Baja Texas.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Frankly, the statute of limitations has long run past on all these actions. Therefore, it's not stolen anymore.

Do you think that you could tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians that? Or the Gibraltarians? And so on.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:07 AM   #25
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'm posting in this thread to announce that of all the news "stories" that have gotten their own thread in this forum over the years, this is the first one that I've negative-cared about. I'm actually impressed.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:14 AM   #26
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

They should call the country Monster. Imagine the trademark battle!

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 09:45 AM   #27
lopeyschools
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Using that logic then every country bought stolen land, or just stole the land themselves with force at least at some point in history, be it form caveman, neanderthals, or from animals.
It's the oldest human tradition!
lopeyschools is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Folly
Thinker

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Aaaah, you'll never convince me that wasn't folly.
I didn't do it!
Folly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 10:58 AM   #29
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by OnlyTellsTruths View Post
Yep, pretty much.

Old 26th November 2012, 11:03 AM   #30
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
What's next, The Commonwealth Of Australia renaming itself to Australia?
They'll rename themselves "Fosters".

Because, as everyone knows, it's Australian for beer.

Old 26th November 2012, 11:45 AM   #31
This is The End

Do you think that you could tell either the Israelis or the Palestinians that? Or the Gibraltarians? And so on.

Or the caveman? Or the neanderthals?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:47 AM   #32
This is The End

Originally Posted by lopeyschools View Post
It's the oldest human tradition!

Aside from prostitution of course.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:34 PM   #33
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I could, but I suspect it wouldn't do much good
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 02:48 PM   #34
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

They'll rename themselves "Fosters".

Because, as everyone knows, it's Australian for beer.
Suggest Fosters to an Aussie, I dare you...
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2012, 04:13 PM   #35
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

Well, I for one am glad that mankind is finally making some significant progress, with all the problems there are worldwide.

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #36
Ausmerican
Illuminator

"Original Mexico"
Still better tasting than "New" Mexico!
Old 27th November 2012, 08:30 AM   #37
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Wouldn't that be "Classic Mexico"?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2012, 08:47 AM   #38
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
Wouldn't that be "Classic Mexico"?
El Classico Mexicano

Old 27th November 2012, 08:52 AM   #39
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
They may be missing a terrific opportunity to amend tax revenue with sponsorship income. How about Estados Unidos Mexicanos de PepsiCo?
Old 27th November 2012, 09:05 AM   #40
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
They may be missing a terrific opportunity to amend tax revenue with sponsorship income. How about Estados Unidos Mexicanos de PepsiCo?
And they could name the capital Doritos D.F.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events