IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:41 AM   #1
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

Why "God fearing"?

I'm an atheist who is fairly ignorant of the various facets of religion, and there's one thing that's puzzles me. Why do religious folks speak of 'God fearing Christians" and such? For instance, there's this quote in a letter to the editor:
"With the magazines full of filthy stories, with immoral conditions in the schools and a thousand temptations previous generations never knew, it is only by the grace of God a child can grow up in the fear of the Lord."
Why must a child grow up in fear of the Lord? What's the purpose behind being afraid of the being you're worshiping? Or is there another meaning here I'm not getting?
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by patchbunny View Post
Why must a child grow up in fear of the Lord?
Let's see... they believe in a narcissistic, vengeful ego-maniac with absolute power and some serious trust issues. What's there to fear?
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:47 AM   #3
DC
Banned

because their god is a mean monster that is claimed to have caused mass genocide. he is claimed to punish people for eternety for the slightest sins. its a wicked monster, when one believes he exist, one better fears that monster.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I'm an atheist who is fairly ignorant of the various facets of religion, and there's one thing that's puzzles me. Why do religious folks speak of 'God fearing Christians" and such? For instance, there's this quote in a letter to the editor:
"With the magazines full of filthy stories, with immoral conditions in the schools and a thousand temptations previous generations never knew, it is only by the grace of God a child can grow up in the fear of the Lord."
Why must a child grow up in fear of the Lord? What's the purpose behind being afraid of the being you're worshiping? Or is there another meaning here I'm not getting?
It's meant as fear in the sense of awe (the original, not the awesome connotation of modern times). From dictionary.com:

4. reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. Synonyms: awe, respect, reverence, veneration.

All part of the modern Christian teachings that we're basically pathetic, worthless scumbags, and only recognizing the complete and total power of God (and our own absolute hopelessness on our own) can save us. Basically, it reinforces the idea that we should cringe on the floor before the master, and be grateful for the crumbs.

Bitter? Why do you ask?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Empress
Piggish

They're using the word "fear" in the sense of "awe" or "reverence". So "God-fearing" would be a person that understands the majesty of God. Of course, Christians worship Yahweh, so considering he's an evil bastard who will smite anyone for any perceived slight and once drowned everything and everyone for whatever reason he made up, being afraid of him seems like a reasonable response.
Old 23rd May 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Because if you don't fear the god or gods you might not obey the parasitic priesthood, perhaps going so far as to question if they're actually doing anything at all. That would be bad for the fat friars. So "hell and damnation" is the "stick" here.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
poblob14
Muse

In the KJV, God says to Abraham (when he is in the process of sacrificing Isaac, at God's request), "Now I know that thou fearest God." Many more modern translations use "respect," "obey," or some other word to translate the Hebrew.

This is just one example; it's all over the Bible. Since many fundamentalists use the KJV, they use the "fear" term instead of one of the others.
poblob14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:22 AM   #8
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

I generally took it to mean fear that God will send you to hell if you don't behave.

Therefore, someone who fears God will act morally so they can go to heaven.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post
I generally took it to mean fear that God will send you to hell if you don't behave.

Therefore, someone who fears God will act morally so they can go to heaven.
There's some of that in there, but that's not the way the church would generally put it.

It's used in the sense of awe and reverence, but with actual fear in there too. It implies that along with the awe is the understanding that this being could utterly destroy you for eternity (and the rest of my mini-rant above ). A recognition of power.

Understanding who holds the whip and who picks the cotton.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DC View Post
because their god is a mean monster that is claimed to have caused mass genocide. he is claimed to punish people for eternety for the slightest sins. its a wicked monster, when one believes he exist, one better fears that monster.
And guess what? The very first being whom rebelled against this monster was labelled as the source of all things evil...

Twisted book this Bible...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Also Psalm 110: 9-10
He sent redemption to his people: he has commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is His name. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments: His praise endures for ever.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by DC View Post
because their god is a mean monster that is claimed to have caused mass genocide. he is claimed to punish people for eternity for the slightest sins. its a wicked monster, when one believes he exist, one better fears that monster.
don't forget Deuteronomy 5:9 ...for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

The awe definition does fit very well into the context in the original letter referenced in the OP. On the other hand, I would love to ask that particular writer what he meant by fear.

Other evidence for the awe definition is that when the Bible mentions "fearsome" the word "awesome" fits just as well.

Last edited by Ladewig; 23rd May 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2013, 05:13 AM   #13
fagin
Philosopher

Or even the gospel according to his Bobness.

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"
God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin' you better run"
Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"
God says. "Out on Highway 61".
Old 26th May 2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Rincewind
Philosopher

A thousand temptations, huh?

Is there a list?

Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 07:25 AM   #15
rcfieldz
Banned

His Flock

To be able to read and understand His messages and then follow His path is to be Divine in His eyes. To be closer to what your true path is to be.
rcfieldz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Carrot ain't enough. Gotta have stick too.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 07:39 AM   #17
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
To be able to read and understand His messages and then follow His path is to be Divine in His eyes. To be closer to what your true path is to be.
No wonder they are called a flock. What 'true path' means is anybody's guess.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
No wonder they are called a flock. What 'true path' means is anybody's guess.
It's self-contained in each believer's brain. That's where "god" is, so that's where you go to find him/her/it.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
It's self-contained in each believer's brain. That's where "god" is, so that's where you go to find him/her/it.
Blasphemer! There are several little gods.

dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Blasphemer! There are several little gods.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4ddb6f2b78.jpg
There could be at least 7 billion gods if it weren't for us infidels.
Old 29th May 2013, 06:32 AM   #21
Arcade22
Philosopher

In the abrahamic tradition God is a vindictive, abusive, totalitarian ***hole. As such good people (i.e Christians, Jews, Muslims and their mutations) are very afraid of being punished by said vindictive, abusive, totalitarian ***hole.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2013, 07:21 PM   #22
12AX7
Banned

Originally Posted by rcfieldz View Post
Uh huh.

Funny, many Christians read and interpret things differently. For a source of 'truth' there sure is a lot of ambiguity.

I bet your God hates/dislikes the same things you do.

Weird, ain't it?
12AX7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2013, 08:11 PM   #23
sowhat
Critical Thinker

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
Because if you don't fear the god or gods you might not obey the parasitic priesthood, perhaps going so far as to question if they're actually doing anything at all. That would be bad for the fat friars. So "hell and damnation" is the "stick" here.
Just two sentences, and there it is. A long history of trickery and terror, in order to maintain their grip of power, and it works.

This brings me to a question of my own. What do you think motivates people going into the priesthood ( using the generic term to include all religions ) today?
The ones I have known personally, or heard about from friends seem to be good people motivated by sincere intentions to do good for others, and I honestly believe the vast majority fit that mold.
So what happens? Where do all the child molesting priests, and the Swaggerts and Bakers come from?
Do they start out with the idea of exploiting people or does something happen along the way?
We all change our views as we go through life. Do they stop believing at some point, and suddenly realize they chose the wrong career?
sowhat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2013, 07:23 AM   #24
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

In the Old Testament, God is always smiting people. What's not to fear?
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2013, 07:50 AM   #25
Gawdzilla Sama

Originally Posted by sowhat View Post
Just two sentences, and there it is. A long history of trickery and terror, in order to maintain their grip of power, and it works.

This brings me to a question of my own. What do you think motivates people going into the priesthood ( using the generic term to include all religions ) today?
The ones I have known personally, or heard about from friends seem to be good people motivated by sincere intentions to do good for others, and I honestly believe the vast majority fit that mold.
So what happens? Where do all the child molesting priests, and the Swaggerts and Bakers come from?
Do they start out with the idea of exploiting people or does something happen along the way?
There would definitely be some who sign up for good reasons, and some who sign up because they drool at the thought of choir practice. It's not either/or, it's both.

Quote:
We all change our views as we go through life. Do they stop believing at some point, and suddenly realize they chose the wrong career?
The Clergy Project was created to help those folks.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy