ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th December 2017, 06:00 AM   #1
C_Felix
Master Poster

Dec11 8:00am reports of an explosion in midtown Manhattan-Port Authority bus terminal

The google results

https://www.google.com/search?q=nyc+...w=1164&bih=602

NY Post used the term "device"

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/explos...-bus-terminal/

Last edited by C_Felix; 11th December 2017 at 06:02 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 06:16 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42312293
Old 11th December 2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

CNN now says they have a man in custody who was also injured by the bomb. No other injuries reported. Police think he tried to detonate a pipe bomb but it malfunctioned.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 08:45 AM   #4
newyorkguy
Philosopher

The man in custody is 27-years old and from Bangladesh. A few people were injured but none seriously. Police seem to believe he was acting alone. The terminal, which is one of the world's busiest, with over 200,000 daily users, has now reopened. The vast majority of the traffic is commuter/suburban ridership.

Quote:
The suspect has been identified as 27-year-old Akayed Ullah, police said. He is from Bangladesh and lived in Brooklyn, CBS2 reported. The suspect had a crude improvised device attached to his body using Velcro and zip ties, NYPD Deputy Police Commissioner John Miller said. Video shows him walking down the passageway when the device exploded, police said. NYPD Police Commissioner O’Neill said by the time officers arrived, they found Ullah with burns and wounds to his body. Sources said the suspect also had a second device on him, CBS2 reported. cbs2 Link
In the news story I linked, there is video from a bus terminal surveillance camera that appears to show the actual explosion in a passenger corridor. Suddenly a cloud of hazy grey smoke appears.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 09:42 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Probably a right-wing Christian. After all, they are responsible for most terror attacks.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 09:58 AM   #6
332nd
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Probably a right-wing Christian. After all, they are responsible for most terror attacks.
Nah, they're all lone wolves who have no connection to the right or white nationalist. Only POC are allowed to be lumped into groups.

... We done with this part now?
Old 11th December 2017, 03:09 PM   #7
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, as a suicide bomber, what a complete **** up. You had one job!
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 03:39 PM   #8
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Wow, as a suicide bomber, what a complete **** up. You had one job!
Luckily for people using the Port Authority Bus Terminal! And I know many people who do. Here's Akayed Ullah moments after police arrived and were about to take him into custody. Looks like he has some serious burns on his midsection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Akayed Ullah as found by police.jpg (109.6 KB, 21 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 03:47 PM   #9
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The man in custody is 27-years old and from Bangladesh.
A country not on the president's ban list. Just like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and basically every other country the perpetrators of successful attacks inside the US actually come from.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 03:59 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A country not on the president's ban list. Just like Russia, Saudi Arabia, and basically every other country the perpetrators of successful attacks inside the US actually come from.
An oddly enough, not Hispanic.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2017, 05:34 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some reports are saying that he is a sugar bomber.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:56 AM   #12
newyorkguy
Philosopher

A news story in the New York Times quoted police officials as to the motives and aims of the Bangladeshi man who detonated a pipe bomb in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, located just west of Times Square.
Quote:
Law enforcement officials said the attacker, identified by the police as Akayed Ullah, 27, chose the location [the pedestrian corridor] because of its Christmas-themed posters, a motive that recalled strikes in Europe, and he told investigators that he set off his bomb in retaliation for United States airstrikes on ISIS targets in Syria and elsewhere. Link
Old 12th December 2017, 11:00 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously fake news then, since Obama banned Christmas years ago.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:02 PM   #14
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
A news story in the New York Times quoted police officials as to the motives and aims of the Bangladeshi man who detonated a pipe bomb in the Port Authority Bus Terminal, located just west of Times Square.
"the attacker... chose the location because of its Christmas-themed posters"

The war on Christmas [posters] is real!
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 01:58 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
CNN now says they have a man in custody who was also injured by the bomb. No other injuries reported. Police think he tried to detonate a pipe bomb but it malfunctioned.
At times,sheer incompetence is a good thing.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2017, 02:06 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
At times,sheer incompetence is a good thing.
It's reported that the pipe bomb was packed with sugar.
Old 12th December 2017, 02:39 PM   #17
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump, remarkably hasn't yet tweeted anything stupid about this attack. Meaning he hasn't tweeted at all about it.
Old 12th December 2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It's reported that the pipe bomb was packed with sugar.
Sugar and ... um- I guess I am not supposed to write the other likely ingredient. That mix was a standard junior high chemistry class demonstration. Big poof but not particularly powerful or violent. I even once had a packet of this go off in my hand- left a layer of char but no real damage.. I think it is sometimes used to power model rockets.

No doubt more dangerous if packed into a confined space such as a pipe. But still not really high energy. Thank the FSM that this was the explosive chosen by this guy!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 09:05 AM   #19
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Sugar and ... um- I guess I am not supposed to write the other likely ingredient. That mix was a standard junior high chemistry class demonstration. Big poof but not particularly powerful or violent. I even once had a packet of this go off in my hand- left a layer of char but no real damage.. I think it is sometimes used to power model rockets.

No doubt more dangerous if packed into a confined space such as a pipe. But still not really high energy. Thank the FSM that this was the explosive chosen by this guy!
Actually, if it's what I suspect, that's often used as an igniter for other compounds (explosive and incendiary). It is fairly energetic; I could see it easily being dangerous if confined.*

That being said, it's common knowledge, so not sure about not mentioning...but I'll follow along

*ETA: Which I see you mentioned, and I somehow skipped past.
Oh well

Last edited by Hellbound; 13th December 2017 at 09:30 AM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 09:43 AM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some reports said match heads and sugar.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:53 AM   #21
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Some reports said match heads and sugar.
Yep, that's it. Same chemical.

Match heads by themselves are a common explosive to use in pipe bombs, also...so no doubt that this could have been a dangerous and effective combination.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 12:21 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This guy might have a lock in the "Stupid Criminal Of The Year" competition.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 12:33 PM   #23
Ranb
Philosopher

Sugar and ... um- I guess I am not supposed to write the other likely ingredient.
Sugar (in place of charcoal), sulfur and a nitrate compound works for rocket fuel or gun powder.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 13th December 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 12:35 PM   #24
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump, remarkably hasn't yet tweeted anything stupid about this attack. Meaning he hasn't tweeted at all about it.
Who has? I just scanned CNN and can't find any mention of this attack. It may be way down the page somewhere.

Anyways, this guy wasn't just having a bad day:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/13...t-hearing.html
Quote:
Akayed Ullah, a Bangladeshi immigrant living in Brooklyn, had asked his wife in Bangladesh to read the writings and listen to the sermons of Moulana Jasimuddin Rahmani, the currently imprisoned leader of a banned group called Ansarullah Bangla Team, said Monirul Islam, a top official of Bangladesh's counterterrorism department.

The group has been linked to killings and attacks on secular academics and atheist bloggers in Bangladesh. Rahmani is serving time in prison for his involvement in the killings.
But the wife knew nothing of course.

Quote:

Prosecutors in New York said that after his capture, Ullah told interrogators he was on a mission to punish the U.S. for attacking the Islamic State group.

"His motivation," Acting U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said, "was not a mystery."

Investigators found bomb-making materials in his apartment. They said he carried out the attack after researching how to build a bomb a year ago and planned his mission for several weeks. The bomb was assembled in the past week using fragments of a metal pipe, a battery and a Christmas tree light bulb, along with the metal screws, authorities said.
You gotta kill a lot of people to stay on top of the news cycle for more than half a day in this country.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 12:56 PM   #25
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

From what I recall reading the failure of the device wasn't chemical but mechanical. An end cap blew off the device.
Old 13th December 2017, 01:02 PM   #26
Bogative
Muse

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Who has? I just scanned CNN and can't find any mention of this attack. It may be way down the page somewhere.

You gotta kill a lot of people to stay on top of the news cycle for more than half a day in this country.

In CNN's defense, they had a much more pressing matter to discuss other than a terrorist suicide attack in one of the busiest subway platforms in America's largest city. They had to devote their coverage to a two day old New York Times report about Donald Trump's Diet Coke and television habits.

If one wants to get CNN's undivided attention and 95% of their airtime, the next terrorist will have to shut down a couple traffic lanes in New Jersey.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2017, 10:17 PM   #27
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Nobody else was hurt except the would-be attacker, who was arrested, and the subway station it actually happened in was even open and operating normally within an hour. Hardly something that deserves 24 hours of breathless coverage.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2017, 05:36 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
In CNN's defense, they had a much more pressing matter to discuss other than a terrorist suicide attack in one of the busiest subway platforms in America's largest city. They had to devote their coverage to a two day old New York Times report about Donald Trump's Diet Coke and television habits.

If one wants to get CNN's undivided attention and 95% of their airtime, the next terrorist will have to shut down a couple traffic lanes in New Jersey.
Is CNN the only news network in the USA?
Old 14th December 2017, 07:44 AM   #29
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This guy might have a lock in the "Stupid Criminal Of The Year" competition.
Only in the sense that any criminal is stupid.

If he'd constructed his device properly, it would have been more than sufficiently deadly.

As I said, match heads alone are commonly used as an explosive in pipe bombs. Just as an FYI, that's specifically mentioned as an improvisation method in military training guides.

"Not the most deadly thing possible" does not equal "not deadly".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events