IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dr. Oz , John Fetterman , Mehmet Oz , Pat Toomey , Pennsylvania politics , senate races

Old 3rd December 2021, 01:25 PM   #41
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I remembered that there was some red flag, but I didn’t recall what it was or how it went. Not my state and all.

He seemed to be trying to find solutions to help people. That goes a long way with me. More than a nice suit and lapel pin.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 01:55 PM   #42
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I remembered that there was some red flag, but I didn’t recall what it was or how it went. Not my state and all.
Yeah, back when he was Mayor of a small, crime-ridden town he held a black kid at shotgun point during one of his patrols he did to try an directly stop crime. It was a mistake, and he’s mostly owed up to it. Hard to see how much of an effect it will have in changing minds.

Quote:
He seemed to be trying to find solutions to help people. That goes a long way with me. More than a nice suit and lapel pin.
Fetterman refuses to wear a suit, which the GQP controlled legislature uses as an excuse to bar him from the PA senate.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 02:39 PM   #43
Venom
Philosopher

I doubt Oz's inevitable "my Muslim faith" moment will be as scandalous as Obama's.

Just a feeling.

Obama's very appearance fueled the scaremongering. No matter how intelligent and eloquent he was he still came from some scawey black/brown/arab/**** hole place in the world, so there had to be something wrong with him.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 03:42 PM   #44
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I doubt Oz's inevitable "my Muslim faith" moment will be as scandalous as Obama's.

Just a feeling.

Obama's very appearance fueled the scaremongering. No matter how intelligent and eloquent he was he still came from some scawey black/brown/arab/**** hole place in the world, so there had to be something wrong with him.
If the Christian Right can support and vote for Trump, they can vote for an avowed Muslim without using or losing a single brain cell.
Old 3rd December 2021, 03:46 PM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Fetterman refuses to wear a suit, which the GQP controlled legislature uses as an excuse to bar him from the PA senate.
But Marjorie Taylor Greene in jeans on the floor of the US House is just fine.
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:13 PM   #46
grunion
Philosopher

I found this interesting link from a couple years back (about which I posted at the time) in which the Doctor actually takes a sensible, though risky, position on a matter of political import.

Fox News Immediately Cuts Off Dr. Oz From Praising Medicare for All
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:21 PM   #47
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Just a feeling.

Obama's very appearance fueled the scaremongering. No matter how intelligent and eloquent he was he still came from some scawey black/brown/arab/**** hole place in the world was a Democrat, so there had to be something wrong with him.
ftfy.
Old 3rd December 2021, 08:47 PM   #48
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I'm surprised he's running as a Republican.

I thought he was more of a new-agey, health woo, Democrat along the lines of that woo 2020 candidate, Marianne Williamson(?).
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:09 PM   #49
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

I thought he was more of a new-agey, health woo, Democrat along the lines of that woo 2020 candidate, Marianne Williamson(?).
Definitely woo but Fox News-style woo. Chloroquine hypester.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 06:13 AM   #50
GrandMasterFox
Master Poster

I was trying to look up and see if Oprah has bothered commenting on this.
Didn't find anything yet.

But what I do find is a huge swarm of people apparently blaming her for this.

It's about freaking time. So all this time that she peddled the likes of Oz or Phil or Jenny McCarthy and the anti-vaxers or loads of psychics and other and all that rubbish some people didn't care.

Turns someone into a republican candidate and they go baffling mad at her.
Better late than never, I suppose?

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I mean who else will let you get Reiki during heart transplant surgery?
Or offer psychics as legitimate grief counseling
GrandMasterFox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 07:15 AM   #51
zorro99
Graduate Poster

I always thought that in order to be a Senator for a particular state, one had to live in that particular state.
Old 4th December 2021, 07:36 AM   #52
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
I always thought that in order to be a Senator for a particular state, one had to live in that particular state.
I believed he used his in-laws address in Philly in the last election to register to vote.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 07:47 AM   #53
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Not to dance on a political grave, but good riddance to Toomey. He always struck me as a bit of a weasely "I swear I'm not a Trumpster" Trumpster.

He could've stood up to the nonsense of his party. He sometimes seemed to understand it was nonsense. But he had no moral backbone where the rubber hit the road.
Old 4th December 2021, 07:51 AM   #54
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Not that Oz would be an improvement, good god.
Old 4th December 2021, 08:23 AM   #55
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I believed he used his in-laws address in Philly in the last election to register to vote.
Sounds pretty close to that voter fraud the GQP has been talking about.

I’m sure his lawyers made certain it wasn’t actually voter fraud, but the smell is similar.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 06:44 PM   #56
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Dr. Oz is running for US Senate in Pennsylvania. Here are 8 times he's made false or baseless medical claims.

Oz pushed hydroxychloroquine to fight the coronavirus, even though its effects were still unproven.
Oz repeatedly claimed that raspberry ketones are 'the No. 1 miracle in a bottle to burn your fat.'
Oz has said astrological signs "may reveal a great deal about our health."
Oz told viewers that green coffee extract "has scientists saying they've found the magic weight-loss cure."
Oz said most countries require genetically-modified foods to have special labels.
He's also said umckaloabo root extract "has been incredibly effective at relieving cold symptoms" even though it isn't.
Oz recommended using lavender soap to cure leg cramps.
A strawberry-and-baking-soda mixture can whiten teeth, Oz said.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 07:13 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So was Obama, and he still had to deal with "being an immigrant" in the minds of the GOP voters. Logic is not their strong suit.

And while we're at it, Obama wasn't Muslim either, but still had to deal with the "He's a Muslim!" problems from the same idiots.
The difference is that no Democrats are going to be claiming Oz wasn't born in the US and demanding his birth certificate...the long form. I wonder what the likes of MTG and Boebert will do? Accuse him of being part of the Jihad Squad?Or maybe not get into an elevator with him if he has a backpack or brief case?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 06:43 AM   #58
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
See: Hawley, Josh. He lives full time in Virginia but claims residence at his sister's home in Missouri.
Old 5th December 2021, 07:24 AM   #59
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Franken wasn't a crank though, just kind of a scumbag.
In the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I don't think this is a reasonable thing to conclude.

Oprah unleashed Oz and Dr Phil on the world. She should fund Oz's opponent as penance.

Last edited by varwoche; 5th December 2021 at 07:48 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 10:37 AM   #60
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
...of immigrant parents. That means he, too, was an immigrant, because that stain never washes out. According to some anyway. Or an "anchor baby", possibly. Actually...we've never seen his long-form birth certificate, have we!

Oz is also proud of his Turkish heritage. Which is proof he never really was an American citizen. He is very likely a spy, and loyal to foreign influences.

And the Muslim thing. That's a dead giveaway. Oz is not American!

But he is great and powerful!
Old 5th December 2021, 12:53 PM   #61
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
But he is great and powerful!
He's on cable TV??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 04:48 PM   #62
angrysoba
Philosophile

This one is a bit tricky... can anyone solve it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grifter on a sifter.jpg (23.8 KB, 20 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 04:58 PM   #63
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

Grifter on the shifter?
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 04:59 PM   #64
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
This one is a bit tricky... can anyone solve it?
That took me a minute.

Grifter on the sifter, right?

eta: D'oh! Ninja'ed.
Old 6th December 2021, 05:02 PM   #65
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Grifter on the shifter?
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That took me a minute.

Grifter on the sifter, right?

eta: D'oh! Ninja'ed.
That's it!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 05:09 PM   #66
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

The Monkey spelled it correctly. My gramma used to run flour through a manual transmission.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 07:46 PM   #67
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
The Monkey spelled it correctly. My gramma used to run flour through a manual transmission.
Traditionally, bananas are used to get rid of transmission noises before you sell the clunker.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 04:15 PM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post

Maybe Oz thinks Willilamosn has that slot filled in the Democratic party.
But, yeah, Oz seems to have no real political principals, just says what he thinks will help him get elected,....something which His GOP opponents will no doubt seize upon.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 06:17 PM   #69
Carlotta
Muse

I had to look up Williamson, but she ran independent.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2021, 07:14 PM   #70
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I had to look up Williamson, but she ran independent.
She ran for the Democratic nomination for President last year.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2021, 02:01 PM   #71
Carlotta
Muse

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
She ran for the Democratic nomination for President last year.
Okay. I totally missed that, which is just as well!
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2021, 04:43 PM   #72
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Inside Dr. Oz’s Shameless Flip-Flop on Abortion

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside...op-on-abortion

Quote:
When the Supreme Court heard arguments last week for a case that could upend abortion rights nationwide, Mehmet Oz—the TV doctor and accused “quack” turned Republican candidate for Senate in Pennsylvania—suggested he was at peace that the Supreme Court could overturn Roe v. Wade.

But only two years earlier, Oz characterized efforts to overturn Roe as a misleading and possibly conspiratorial crusade. Not only was Oz supportive of abortion rights, he seemed puzzled that people would spend time fighting abortion rights—going so far as to say that, as a physician, he was “really worried” about the anti-abortion movement and that eliminating Roe would have negative effects on women’s health.
And,

Quote:
In an interview two months before the 2016 election, Oz briefly quizzed then-candidate Trump on women’s reproductive health, touching first on birth control and following up with a fleeting discussion about abortion.

“What is your stand on abortion today?” Oz asked.

“I am pro-life,” Trump replied.

Oz had no other follow-ups.
Learning from the master?
Old 13th December 2021, 02:16 PM   #73
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Another gift from Oprah, the junk science queen.
Old 17th December 2021, 03:02 PM   #74
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Reminds me of Ben Carson.
Ben Carson is no brain surgeon. Except he is a brain surgeon. So far nobody has managed to destroy the image of rocket scientists that badly.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 05:37 AM   #75
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Oz has already started advertising on TV. His campaign seems to be attacking the government for shutting down schools & businesses for COVID. He doesn’t give a reasonable alternative, of course, and he ignores that most closures were authorized at the state level. Oh, and we’re on another wave of COVID as we speak.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:20 PM   #76
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Oz has already started advertising on TV. His campaign seems to be attacking the government for shutting down schools & businesses for COVID. He doesn’t give a reasonable alternative, of course, and he ignores that most closures were authorized at the state level. Oh, and we’re on another wave of COVID as we speak.
Just goes to show that a high IQ does not prevent someone being stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 12:21 PM   #77
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

So another millionaire Republican has entered the race. David McCormack is another millionaire ready to bankroll a campaign for US senator.

Like Oz, he does not live in PA until very, very recently. He and Oz are already trading barbs. While Democratic candidates are flogging against the rich carpetbaggers running for the GOP.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics