IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #3001
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This twat was the one who went on telly and told us what the rules were every other day. Pleading incompetence should also lead to resignation.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #3002
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris' next moves

Start a war. Probably with Scotland.

Get Covid again.

Brings back Birching.

A free Kit Kat to every person in the UK.

Declare he’s heard Marquee Moon.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #3003
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

God these people are scum.

This whole mess is pushing me further towards the "angry left" thing.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #3004
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

After he's kicked out, Boris should be forced to live in Big Ben like Quasimodo, munching on rivets and pigeons and shouting the bongs.
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #3005
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Some of tomorrow’s front pages truly abysmal reading for PM

Star: “Pinocchio: I am not a liar.”
Metro: “Nobody Told Me”
Indy: “No one warned me Party was against rules, says man who set the rules.”
Times: “Red wall Tory MPs team up to topple Johnson.”
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #3006
Lothian
should be banned

Noises about Brady making an announcement tomorrow.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #3007
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
I wish my 'Boris ousting' prediction hadn't been so modest. I now think he'll resign this week, or next at the very latest.
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #3008
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Yes, I was just going to post that.

You've got to be pretty ******* abhorrent if even the 1922 Committee think you're a ****. Credit where it's due, that's pretty impressive.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #3009
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Some of tomorrow’s front pages truly abysmal reading for PM

Star: “Pinocchio: I am not a liar.”
Metro: “Nobody Told Me”
Indy: “No one warned me Party was against rules, says man who set the rules.”
Times: “Red wall Tory MPs team up to topple Johnson.”
I particularly like the one from the Indy.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #3010
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

That's not just impressive it's ridiculous.

I just worry that once we are free of Boris we'll get Gove, or worse, Patel.

Old Today, 02:16 AM   #3011
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
That's not just impressive it's ridiculous.

I just worry that once we are free of Boris we'll get Gove, or worse, Patel.
But neither of them come with Johnson's genetic advantage I.e. not a they wont get our immediate subservient deference.
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #3012
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

While the Conservatives are wholly absorbed in "Partygate" and the associated political fallout, inflation is inexorably nibbling away at people's standard of living.

Quote:
The cost of living rose at its fastest pace in nearly 30 years in the 12 months to December, driven mainly by higher food and energy bills.

The UK's Consumer Prices Index measure of inflation rose to 5.4% from 5.1% in November, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60050699

One of the main drivers for the inflation is global energy prices over which the UK government has little control and so, unless they do what Labour suggested and remove VAT from fuel (the ability to do so is apparently a Brexit bonus), there's not too much they can do.

Then again, instead of messing about crowing about over 40p a week saved on the TV licence, they could to do something about Brexit-induced inflationary pressures and the extra NI contributions that are going to hit the less well off hard.

To do so would however be against Conservative orthodoxy where the poor and less worthy need to get poorer until they see the error of their ways whilst the rich and more worthy are free to enjoy the fruits of their "labour".
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #3013
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The one Tory who’s been keeping his powder very, very dry through all of this is Jeremy Hunt. No complicity in parties, no recent reputational ****-ups, any quotes have been measured and reasoned.

He's going to throw his hat in.
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #3014
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I particularly like the one from the Indy.
It sounds like a headline from the Daily Mash. One more data point to support the proposition that political satire is now effectively impossible.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:38 AM   #3015
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It sounds like a headline from the Daily Mash. One more data point to support the proposition that political satire is now effectively impossible.

Dave
It really does.

Old Today, 03:38 AM   #3016
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The one Tory who’s been keeping his powder very, very dry through all of this is Jeremy Hunt. No complicity in parties, no recent reputational ****-ups, any quotes have been measured and reasoned.

He's going to throw his hat in.
Oh my !

Heck he might do well enough in the leadership battle that even if he doesn't become Prime Minister, he could still secure one of the other Great Offices of State. t.b.h. he couldn't be any worse than the current incumbents but that is setting the bar a trifle low.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #3017
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

You know it's bad when one of the better options is Jeremy Hunt.

God I hate my fellow Brits.

Old Today, 05:25 AM   #3018
Wudang
BOFH

Christian Wakeford, Tory MP for Bury South defects to Labour.
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #3019
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Christian Wakeford, Tory MP for Bury South defects to Labour.
And an ex-minister, David Davis, says "In the name of God, go". Oh dear.
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #3020
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Quoting Amery, who was quoting Cromwell.

When Cromwell seems to be the voice of reason, things have really got bad.

While Cromwell was a hideous person, her certainly had a turn of phrase - maybe David Davis should have just quote his dissolution statement in full

Quote:
Ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess?

Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #3021
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Another Cromwell quote that seems appropriate is "Think it possible you may be mistaken".
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #3022
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
David Davis also said:

Quote:
MP David Davis told Mr Johnson he had spent weeks defending him from "angry constituents", including by reminding them of the "successes of Brexit".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60056482

I'd be interested to head what these alleged successes were, and whether this placated his constituents or made them even more angry.
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #3023
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Nadine Dorries tweeted

@NadineDorries
Huge and overwhelming support for @BorisJohnson from packed Tory benches.

Sadly, @Christian4BuryS has yet to realise that the Union Jack Flag of United Kingdom mask he is wearing to cross the floor to Labour, is not welcome on that side of the house.
Old Today, 10:26 AM   #3024
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There's always a tweet!

Nadine Dorries
@NadineDorries
· Jun 7, 2018
David Davis is ex SAS He’s trained to survive. He’s also trained to take people out. #Brexit
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #3025
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

God she's a slimeball.

I hate these people. What happened to the sensible Tories?

Old Today, 11:45 AM   #3026
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

God she's a slimeball.

I hate these people. What happened to the sensible Tories?
The Overton window took care of them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics