IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: How long before Twitter bans Trump
Jan 20th 12:02 PM 6 20.00%
A couple of days after a Trump Twitter-rage 10 33.33%
A week 7 23.33%
Inside a couple of months 3 10.00%
A year tops 0 0%
On Planet X everyone uses Parler anyway 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th January 2021, 05:33 AM   #1
erlando
Master Poster

How Long Before Twitter Bans @realdonaldtrump

Twitter has an excemption for world leaders.

At Jan 20th on 12:01 PM Donald Trump will be an ordinary civilian. How long will it be before Twitter permanently bans @realdonaldtrump?

Relevant Lifehacker article Could Twitter Ban Trump Once He's a Private Citizen?
Old 6th January 2021, 05:36 AM   #2
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
That article should be three letters long.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:42 AM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Would banning him hurt their bottom line?

Just because they can ban him doesn't necessarily mean they will.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

There is no "Twitter finds another excuse to not ban him." option.
Old 6th January 2021, 05:52 AM   #5
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

He's their bread and butter. They're never going to ban him.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 05:54 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There has been nothing stopping them banning him, so can’t see why they would want to ban him after he is no longer the president.

I’d love Twitter to go off line for 30 days, so I can see the younger “journalists” floundering around trying to find out how you find something to write about if its not on Twitter!
Old 6th January 2021, 06:00 AM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
There has been nothing stopping them banning him, so can’t see why they would want to ban him after he is no longer the president.

I’d love Twitter to go off line for 30 days, so I can see the younger “journalists” floundering around trying to find out how you find something to write about if its not on Twitter!
Big Earthquake In Chile

Celebrities have been reacting to the seismic news this morning.

@EdSheeran

Like, OMG!
Old 6th January 2021, 06:17 AM   #8
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The instant Biden is inagurated.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:23 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Big Earthquake In Chile

Celebrities have been reacting to the seismic news this morning.

@EdSheeran

Like, OMG!
Sadly it has got so bad that the headline would be:

Ed Sheeran reveals traumatic event - he may not tour this year!

@EdSheeran: OMG a Big Earthquake in Chile!
Old 6th January 2021, 06:29 AM   #10
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Trump being Twitter's ,"bread and butter"...

I know trump has a lot of twitter followers, but if you look up the number of followers for twitter accounts, trump doesn't even make the top 5. And yes, he may be a more active user, but I suspect his tweets only generate small fraction of Twitter's total traffic. So I suspect Twitter will be fine without him.

Plus, his account probably require a lot more maintenance than most (removing bots, moderating posts, etc ) Twitter might be glad to be rid of him.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 6th January 2021 at 06:32 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:45 AM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Well, Stubby Mcbonespurs was a world leader, and a long time ago Spicer did indicate that statements made on Twitter could contain "official" government policy. Even though the vast majority of Trump's tweets were junk, twitter may have felt an obligation to keep his account active for the rare posting that was relevant to government function that needed to be disseminated.

When trump is no longer president, then NONE of his tweets are relevant to government function.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 06:46 AM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

Sadly it has got so bad that the headline would be:

Ed Sheeran reveals traumatic event - he may not tour this year!

@EdSheeran: OMG a Big Earthquake in Chile!

That's way better!
Old 6th January 2021, 09:05 AM   #13
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I seriously doubt that Twitter will ever ban Trump.

After all, Trump has millions and millions of followers, and such a large following will ensure that Trump still gets to do his frequent 'Tweet Screeds'. Even though I strongly suspect that most of the people who work at the Twitter Company have a considerable amount of disdain for Trump himself and they hate working to support such a disgusting, worthless, POS like Trump himself.

Therefore, unless Trump does something so seriously wrong that it makes his millions of followers to disappear, then I expect that Trump will still be on Twitter for at least the next few years.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:21 AM   #14
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I seriously doubt that Twitter will ever ban Trump.

After all, Trump has millions and millions of followers, and such a large following will ensure that Trump still gets to do his frequent 'Tweet Screeds'. Even though I strongly suspect that most of the people who work at the Twitter Company have a considerable amount of disdain for Trump himself and they hate working to support such a disgusting, worthless, POS like Trump himself.
Trump has millions of followers, but he's not even in the top 5 of Twitter accounts. (He's got ~40 million fewer than Obama, and not many more than Taylor Swift.) I am pretty sure that if Trump disappeared, Twitter wouldn't really see a significant drop in traffic.

Plus, his account probably takes a lot of administrative work... cleaning up bots, validating posts, etc. I suspect they might be thinking its not really financially beneficial to keep him around.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 6th January 2021, 05:28 PM   #15
EHocking
Philosopher

Twitter suspends Trump account for 12 hours
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:19 PM   #16
erlando
Master Poster

Every ounce of excuse left for not banning Trump evaporated yesterday.

Now he will be banned way before Jan 20th because he will refuse to take down his inciting tweets and he will continue to rage once the current 12 hour suspension is lifted. Twitter will have no other choice but to ban him.
Old 6th January 2021, 11:28 PM   #17
Cain
Straussian

There's behavior that you make excuses for, and behavior where you're waiting for an excuse to justify what you've long wanted to do.

I used to think they would be reluctant to ban him in his post-presidency. Given today's events, I'm now inclined to think they're watching the clock.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:58 PM   #18
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Would banning him hurt their bottom line?

Just because they can ban him doesn't necessarily mean they will.
Him leaving office will hurt their bottom line. Interest in Trump is about to take a major dive. Not to say no one will take an interest after his relevance as president is gone.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:04 AM   #19
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

They issued a statement a while ago that they make exceptions to some of their rules for world leaders and that his account would be treated differently once he was out of office.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:39 AM   #20
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Banned from Facebook, suspension from Twitter extended. I'm disappointed because it was the only place to immediately get the info directly from Annoying Orange's mouth.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:42 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Him leaving office will hurt their bottom line. Interest in Trump is about to take a major dive. Not to say no one will take an interest after his relevance as president is gone.
Once again...

Trump isn't the user with the most followers on Twitter. In fact, he doesn't even crack the top 5. And with the additional headache that comes from Trump (dealing with bots, fact checking his posts, etc.) I suspect Trump is probably more trouble than he's worth.

In other words, their bottom line will be fine once Trump leaves office and/or they ban his account.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 7th January 2021, 09:46 AM   #22
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Can I change my vote? Or is that too touchy a subject right now?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:48 AM   #23
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Once again...

Trump isn't the user with the most followers on Twitter. In fact, he doesn't even crack the top 5.
Engagement matters more than raw follower count.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:49 AM   #24
plague311
Great minds think...

Apparently he signed up on Parler at some point today. I wouldn't sign up for that site if you paid me money, but if you want to hear the dumb **** he says in real-time then Parler might be your Huckleberry.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:55 AM   #25
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Apparently he signed up on Parler at some point today. I wouldn't sign up for that site if you paid me money, but if you want to hear the dumb **** he says in real-time then Parler might be your Huckleberry.
I'm on Parler.

I like to keep my friends close.

But I joined Parler to keep my enemies closer.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:36 PM   #26
slyjoe
Illuminator

Twitter just "suspended indefinitely" Donald Trump.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/08/95476...nt-of-violence
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 8th January 2021 at 04:37 PM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:39 PM   #27
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly did not expect that before the 20th.
Then again I also did not expect a ******* coup attempt.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:43 PM   #28
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Honestly did not expect that before the 20th.
Then again I also did not expect a ******* coup attempt.
Nobody expects a ******** coup attempt.

(with apologies to Mel Brooks).
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:44 PM   #29
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/08/95476...nt-of-violence
Damn, I should have put my guess in anyways, the trouble was that the poll didn't have "Within a day of being reinstated" as an option.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #30
ToddH
Critical Thinker

Nobody expects a ******** coup attempt.

(with apologies to Mel Brooks).
Much like nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition!
ToddH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:45 PM   #31
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Now, according to a text from my wife.

I'm honestly kind of disappointed. I'd rather be able to read his Twitter and see what he's "thinking".

Oops, Ninja'd. Good thing I didn't vote.
Old 8th January 2021, 04:48 PM   #32
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Damn, I should have put my guess in anyways, the trouble was that the poll didn't have "Within a day of being reinstated" as an option.
How about "...and then he is reinstated again" option?
Old 8th January 2021, 04:48 PM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Strange....

Not that they banned him (most of us would have expected that), or that they did it before he left office (that was a little more surprising)...

But, his account was suspended for a short period, then reactivated. I would have thought it simpler just to suspend it permanently right away, rather than go through the re-activation.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th January 2021, 04:52 PM   #34
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
How about "...and then he is reinstated again" option?
From their release, I doubt that is gunna happen.

I was surprised everyone was saying that the ban wouldn't happen, Twitter basically gave him an ultimatum that he was never going to be able to live up to, and if anything I'm surprised he lasted another 21 hours, I was expected he'd have got the ban hammer within 12 of getting back on.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 04:56 PM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Every ounce of excuse left for not banning Trump evaporated yesterday.

Now he will be banned way before Jan 20th because he will refuse to take down his inciting tweets and he will continue to rage once the current 12 hour suspension is lifted. Twitter will have no other choice but to ban him.
Your million dollars* will be with you soon.

*Trump dollars
Old 8th January 2021, 05:01 PM   #36
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder....

There are still the official white house and presidential twitter feeds. Does anyone know what type of safeguards they have to prevent Trump from hijacking them and turning them into his own personal soapbox.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th January 2021, 05:03 PM   #37
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I wonder....

There are still the official white house and presidential twitter feeds. Does anyone know what type of safeguards they have to prevent Trump from hijacking them and turning them into his own personal soapbox.
Are you saying it is not end of bans?
Old 8th January 2021, 05:13 PM   #38
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Quote:
I wonder....

Are you saying it is not end of bans?
Well the white house and presidential ones are more... official.

I was thinking more in terms of "the accounts are owned by the office/government so Trump can't post to them personally" sort of safeguard.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 8th January 2021, 05:16 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
From their release, I doubt that is gunna happen.

I was surprised everyone was saying that the ban wouldn't happen, Twitter basically gave him an ultimatum that he was never going to be able to live up to, and if anything I'm surprised he lasted another 21 hours, I was expected he'd have got the ban hammer within 12 of getting back on.
I thought I saw/heard in my news surfing that they demanded he remove the tweets that got him banned (not sure why they didn't just delete them) and that he did remove them starting his 12 hour suspension.

I thought he had tweeted again.

But his account is currently suspended for violating Twitter's policies.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

But there is a new report a short time ago saying that the suspension is a permanent ban.

US News posted on Twitter: Twitter permanently bans Donald Trump from its platform, citing ‘risk of further incitement of violence’

Do I win the poll?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 8th January 2021 at 05:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2021, 05:17 PM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm wondering if there was a final Tweet that was the last straw? The ones I saw after reinstatement didn't seem any different from the others.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics