IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 22 32.35%
Disagree 46 67.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st March 2022, 09:40 AM   #1
Gaetan
Suspended

Weapons, poll

I propose that all countries get rid of weapons including those that we buy in stores, agree or disagree? What interest to invade a country which is not armed, one can have their resources by the trade. If the Ukrainians were not posing a threat to Russia with arms, they would not have been invaded. Let's start here in Canada by getting rid of all our guns. We will end up destroying ourselves if this continues, we are in 2022 we can get everything by trade, no need to want to steal from others as was the case in the past. Weapons no longer have a purpose and never have had a purpose.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 09:41 AM   #2
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nonsense doesn't stop being nonsense because you start a new thread about it.

You don't have a proposal. "Everyone just do this thing" without any context or structure as to how you would make them do it is a child's understanding of how real world problems get solved.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 21st March 2022 at 09:44 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 09:43 AM   #3
EaglePuncher
Banned

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
I propose that all countries get rid of weapons including those that we buy in stores, agree or disagree? What interest to invade a country which is not armed, one can have their resources by the trade. If the Ukrainians were not posing a threat to Russia with arms, they would not have been invaded. Let's start here in Canada by getting rid of all our guns. We will end up destroying ourselves if this continues, we are in 2022 we can get everything by trade, no need to want to steal from others as was the case in the past. Weapons no longer have a purpose and never have had a purpose.
Jeeez, money..guns...Can I live?
EaglePuncher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 09:44 AM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm wondering without weapons who's going to till the soil for free in Gaetan's moneyless dream world.
Old 21st March 2022, 09:51 AM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

Why not more weapons? If everyone in Ukraine had AA weaponry, drones, and a tank or two, this all could have been avoided. Peace through superior firepower. You don't see Mexico trying to invade the US, and Canada doesn't want none of this action, either.
Old 21st March 2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I'm all for gun control and fully agree with disarmament agreements between nations, but getting rid of all weapons is never going to be a reality nor desirable.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 09:55 AM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!

Nope.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:09 AM   #8
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I see no "poll". Getting rid of weapons' is impossible since just about anything can be used as a weapon.

"What interest to invade a country which is not armed"? The interest is that those would be the easiest to defeat. "one can have their resources by the trade."? One can also have them by force, thereby also keeping what they would have needed to trade as well. Even in 2022 some people would rather steal than trade. To trade you both have to have something the other party wants enough and then still have come to some kind of agreement. To steal one party just has to have something the other party wants enough and doesn't care how they get it. How exactly does one get "everything by trade" if they have nothing anyone values or values sufficiently to trade? The idea is to give them something of value in the trade, like their safety, life or lack of injury. While a sneak thief may not offer anything in trade the strong arm robber does. It is the basis of extortion, you trade something of value for protection from violence or exposure. You really do need a course in criminal psychology or just some real world experience.

One of the most effective weapons is the human mind, please stop just giving up on yours.

Last edited by The Man; 21st March 2022 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typos
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:09 AM   #9
Suddenly
No Punting

If this happens I'm sending you a bill if I hit a deer with my car. If people around here didn't cap the buggers I'd never be able to drive anywhere at night. Sure, there is bow season but for most kill-happy geeks that's just being more cruel to the deer.

Also you'd owe me for the free venison I'd no longer get...

That and I'd think that if there were no weapons the reason Russia wouldn't invade would be mostly because attacking Ukraine without weapons would be tricky at best.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:09 AM   #10
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Can we just play the Monkey Paw episode from Simpson and be done with this nonsense?
Old 21st March 2022, 10:12 AM   #11
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by EaglePuncher View Post
Jeeez, money..guns...Can I live?
Wait, wasn't it Lawyers, Guns and Money

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 21st March 2022, 10:15 AM   #12
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Can we just play the Monkey Paw episode from Simpson and be done with this nonsense?
Pacifism is an extremely common philosophy that plenty of (ostensibly) sane and smart people believe in or claim to believe in.

One internet persona's badly worded defense of it doesn't make it nonsense.

I'm sure all the sane, smart pacifists will be along any minute now.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:18 AM   #13
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm wondering without weapons who's going to till the soil for free in Gaetan's moneyless dream world.
Heck, first you got to get the metalsmiths to beat all them dang swords into plow shears without hammers or fire, as those can be weapons as well.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:19 AM   #14
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I propose that all countries get rid of weapons including those that we buy in stores, agree or disagree?
Agree or disagree with what? That it would bring about world peace or something like that? Disagree, obviously. You still seem to have a delusion that humans are good little robots who can be told what to do and will comply. Newsflash - they're not.

Come up with an idea where the world disarms and where there is no advantage available for anyone who cheats. Then we can talk.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:21 AM   #15
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Can I keep my gravity-powered ones?
Old 21st March 2022, 10:26 AM   #16
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Can I keep my gravity-powered ones?
And they ain't the only ones so powered. Just the ground is an effective weapon.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:35 AM   #17
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

What are muggers supposed to do? Beat people to death? And what do they take if there is no money?

Mugger: "Let me introduce you to my friend Ben."
Muggee: "Ben who?"
"Ben Dover."

It's a gruesome world of maimings and raping you propose. A catastrophe of Biblical proportions. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:38 AM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Wait, wasn't it Lawyers, Guns and Money

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
****, is he going to kill all the lawyers or just make us quit? One of those is far more palatable as I approach retirement.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:46 AM   #19
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
What are muggers supposed to do? Beat people to death? And what do they take if there is no money?

Mugger: "Let me introduce you to my friend Ben."
Muggee: "Ben who?"
"Ben Dover."

It's a gruesome world of maimings and raping you propose. A catastrophe of Biblical proportions. Dogs and cats living together. Mass hysteria.
Actually shame is Gaetan's asserted weapon of choice in his feducilessly fantasy world. He has asserted that people would be shamed into compliance. Thus a mugger would try to shame you into giving them what they want. Not really that far off from extortion these days.

Mugger: "Give me that last bowl of gruel you stood in line hours to get?"
Muggee: "No way, why should I?"
Mugger": "Because otherwise I'll tell everyone what you use to do when you were 3 years old."
Muggee": "Aww Ma, please don't!! Here ya go."
Old 21st March 2022, 10:48 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes because the last few years have proven that psychopathic douchebags are so susceptible to shame.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:53 AM   #21
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Actually shame is Gaetan's asserted weapon of choice in his feducilessly fantasy world. He has asserted that people would be shamed into compliance. Thus a mugger would try to shame you into giving them what they want. Not really that far off from extortion these days.

Mugger: "Give me that last bowl of gruel you stood in line hours to get?"
Muggee: "No way, why should I?"
Mugger": "Because otherwise I'll tell everyone what you use to do when you were 3 years old."
Muggee": "Aww Ma, please don't!! Here ya go."
Really? Shame? I mean, I haven't been following the "**** Money" thread, bc self preservation of sanity and all, but embarrassing people into starvation is certainly a novel approach I hadn't considered.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:54 AM   #22
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yes because the last few years have proven that psychopathic douchebags are so susceptible to shame.
Like many things, the concept of shameless people eludes Gaetan. Unless of course money is involved then apparently everyone is shameless and willing to screw over their own neighbors just to get ahead.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:59 AM   #23
Gaetan
Suspended

The proof is that wanting to arm themselves to defend themselves against Russia has not helped Ukraine and does not help any country. Your atom bombs can all be dropped in Russia or China you will still die in US.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 10:59 AM   #24
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Really? Shame? I mean, I haven't been following the "**** Money" thread, bc self preservation of sanity and all, but embarrassing people into starvation is certainly a novel approach I hadn't considered.
It has been posited that embarrassment is why one would would only take one ham from the store when they could take all of them (in his no money world). Even when in a money world and paying for it some people buy more then they need or ever use. As JoeMorgue points out above, funny how that shame thing just doesn't always work now.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:05 AM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

It has been posited that embarrassment is why one would would only take one ham from the store when they could take all of them (in his no money world). Even when in a money world and paying for it some people buy more then they need or ever use. As JoeMorgue points out above, funny how that shame thing just doesn't always work now.
Seems like one could just, I dunno, turn on a TV or look at any online homepage worldwide and deduce right pronto that shame is not much of a driving force in humankind.

Old 21st March 2022, 11:05 AM   #26
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

The proof is that wanting to arm themselves to defend themselves against Russia has not helped Ukraine and does not help any country. Your atom bombs can all be dropped in Russia or China you will still die in US.
They are defending themselves against Russia, that's your own "proof". When was the last time the United States was invaded? 1812 or something?

Again, weapons don't actually have to be used to be effective, that trade I mentioned before.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:07 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"If you just give evil people what they want, they don't have to be evil to get it, and doing nothing isn't evil, so that makes them good. So just giving evil people everything they want gets rid of all evil."
Old 21st March 2022, 11:09 AM   #28
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Seems like one could just, I dunno, turn on a TV or look at any online homepage worldwide and deduce right pronto that shame is not much of a driving force in humankind.
Sure, a bit of real world experience would help but I'm beginning to suspect even that is imperceptible to the target audience.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:15 AM   #29
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

"If you just give evil people what they want, they don't have to be evil to get it, and doing nothing isn't evil, so that makes them good. So just giving evil people everything they want gets rid of all evil."
As the saying goes "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.", But hey as long as it is NFE, Non-Fungible Evil, I guess it's all good.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:17 AM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

As the saying goes "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.", But hey as long as it is NFE, Non-Fungible Evil, I guess it's all good.
Yeah but pacifism and appeasement remain popular ideals under a multitude of names despite that.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:18 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Weapons are right there on my list of things that if they were abolished, the first thing people would do is reinvent them. Like money, free markets, and police.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:27 AM   #32
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Weapons are right there on my list of things that if they were abolished, the first thing people would do is reinvent them. Like money, free markets, and police.
I see that you like to live dangerously.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:27 AM   #33
junkshop
Graduate Poster

I propose that all countries get rid of weapons including those that we buy in stores, agree or disagree?
Define 'weapons'.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:45 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I wish everyone would lay down their arms and renounce violence forever. That way I could conquer this whole stupid planet with just a butter knife." - Dogbert.
Old 21st March 2022, 11:58 AM   #35
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Define 'weapons'.
*Looks at the 2 rather vicious pocket knives along the table, which could make a right mess of someone. Thinks about the array of serious Japanese and German steel sitting in the very large knife rack in the kitchen, which could make an even bigger mess of a body*
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 12:13 PM   #36
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

As for outlawing all weapons, I am reminded of my time in California many years ago where the Bouncers at bars used to carry small clubs in order to deal with unruly customers.

However, there were some cases where some people were unnecessarily hurt by Bouncers armed with such clubs.

Therefore, there was a law enacted that essentially stated that Bouncers could no longer carry clubs while on the job.

As a result of this law, the Bouncers soon started carrying long, heavy, metal flashlights because such flashlights were not legally considered to be a club. Even though these flashlights like this were just about as good as any club.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 12:38 PM   #37
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I see that you like to live dangerously.

Well I, for one, like to live period. That in and of itself both implies and infers living with danger and dealing with it. How exactly does one live without danger or non-dangerously?

ETA: Heck, one kid stabbed me with a pencil in grade school. I've had rocks thrown at me, been jumped by two guys in a field. Been sucker punched, kicked in the shins, almost run over by a Sheriffs' cruiser (the tire dang near took my shoe off). Had people almost try to run in to me while on my motorcycle. Where I work anything that won't straight up kill you just F's you up real bad for a long time.

Last edited by The Man; 21st March 2022 at 12:56 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2022, 12:53 PM   #38
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
Define 'weapons'.
*Looks at the 2 rather vicious pocket knives along the table, which could make a right mess of someone. Thinks about the array of serious Japanese and German steel sitting in the very large knife rack in the kitchen, which could make an even bigger mess of a body*
*Wanders into the ballroom, and admires a particularly hefty candlestick*
Old 21st March 2022, 01:29 PM   #39
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Lady Bracknell: A handbag?
Old 21st March 2022, 02:11 PM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Jackie Chan is obviously too powerful to be left alive.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events