IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th June 2022, 06:41 PM   #1
xjx388

Amarillo “cryptid,” captured on film!

Surprised I haven’t seen a thread on this yet. It appears that some weird image was captured at the Amarillo Zoo that appears to show some kind of “creature.”

It is a weird looking image, I’ll give ya that:

https://twitter.com/cityofamarillo/s...i3moOkyld8DokQ

Story from “Today” about the picture:

https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna32918

I think we could use some good old classic debunking on this site.
Old 17th June 2022, 06:46 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The only thing to debunk here is the pants-on-head-retarded premise that the "Today" story adds anything at all to the original claim.

The original claim, meanwhile, lacks enough information to make any debunking effort worthwhile, or even necessary.

What are we supposed to debunk, exactly?
Old 17th June 2022, 06:50 PM   #3
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

I dunno, but it seems a rather whopping coincidence that a strange creature was seen lurking outside a zoo -- where they keep strange creatures.
Old 17th June 2022, 06:57 PM   #4
p0lka
Master Poster

Only 1 image? That's not a particularly good security system.

edit:
That could almost be the backside of an ostrich moving to the right with its head down.

Last edited by p0lka; 17th June 2022 at 07:13 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:35 PM   #5
Warp12
King of Kings

Hmmm...the image is too sharp to be Bigfoot...
Old 17th June 2022, 07:39 PM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Probably some Furry walking home drunk after a party. You think I'm joking? It looks like some guy in a fox costume.

Last edited by shemp; 17th June 2022 at 07:44 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:41 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's a legitimately mysterious image.

I think we might be seeing a bit of optical illusion there. Do the legs look odd because of an optical illusion about what position they are in? Is the face looking toward the camera or away from the camera?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:46 PM   #8
p0lka
Master Poster

It's an ostriches arse.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:21 PM   #9
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Did somebody get lost on their way home from the furry convention?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:41 PM   #10
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Probably some Furry walking home drunk after a party. You think I'm joking? It looks like some guy in a fox costume.
That's what it looks like to me. Very human stance.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 08:54 PM   #11
stanfr
Master Poster

I saw this when it came out last week on twitter, of course there were dozens of answers on twitter trying to be cute.

It interested me for all of 5 seconds cause there just isn't enough info on the photo to make any guesses--the original story was just 'hey we got this photo, care to tell us what it is?"

That alone is suspicious. If they wanna know what it is, give me details about the camera, type of camera, why there is just one image, height of fence etc etc.

A couple respondents claimed it was a coyote rearing up. Does not look like any coyote to me.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 09:26 PM   #12
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Just looks like a kid wearing a hat with a feather in it to me.
Old 17th June 2022, 09:45 PM   #13
MBDK
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Only 1 image? That's not a particularly good security system.

edit:
That could almost be the backside of an ostrich moving to the right with its head down.
I agree with you on both points.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 10:11 PM   #14
Axxman300
Philosopher

1. Is this camera a still-only? If not, where's the video footage that would clear this up?

2. Is this inside the zoo, or just outside?

Either way, it's a person with something on their head. Maybe a mask. Maybe a homeless person with some kind of improvised head-wrap. My gut tells me the zoo is looking for a little free publicity, and got it.
Old 17th June 2022, 10:18 PM   #15
stanfr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I agree with you on both points.
Legs are too thick for ostrich, also no pronounced thickening at the joint. But I like that idea better than coyote
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 10:21 PM   #16
stanfr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
1. Is this camera a still-only? If not, where's the video footage that would clear this up?

2. Is this inside the zoo, or just outside?

Either way, it's a person with something on their head. Maybe a mask. Maybe a homeless person with some kind of improvised head-wrap. My gut tells me the zoo is looking for a little free publicity, and got it.
No way! Theyd never stoop to that level! It has to be a chupacabra!
Old 18th June 2022, 05:07 AM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The only thing to debunk here is the pants-on-head-retarded premise that the "Today" story adds anything at all to the original claim.
I think you've just nailed it. Its a drunk walking home with his pants on his head.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 05:15 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Surprised I haven’t seen a thread on this yet. It appears that some weird image was captured at the Amarillo Zoo that appears to show some kind of “creature.”

It is a weird looking image, I’ll give ya that:

https://twitter.com/cityofamarillo/s...i3moOkyld8DokQ

Story from “Today” about the picture:

https://www.today.com/today/amp/rcna32918

I think we could use some good old classic debunking on this site.
1 image from a security video? Seems strange. Secondly looks like it is a PR stunt, just like how Nessie always coincidentally pops up at the start of the tourism season.
Old 18th June 2022, 12:51 PM   #19
MBDK
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Legs are too thick for ostrich, also no pronounced thickening at the joint. But I like that idea better than coyote
I agree with you on all three points.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 01:15 PM   #20
autumn1971
Illuminator

I think it’s just a plain old fake.
No security camera made in the last twenty years is capable of taking such a crap picture.
$10 game cameras take better pictures. And use auto-focus for moving objects.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 01:41 PM   #21
p0lka
Master Poster

Overfed ostrich in deep grass and the fences are smaller than they look. Seems more likely than a chupacabra.

Last edited by p0lka; 18th June 2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 18th June 2022, 02:50 PM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I confess, it was me.
Someone is hearing hoofbeats and thinking "zebras".
Old 18th June 2022, 02:53 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Debris stuck in the fence? Otherwise it's undetermined.
Old 18th June 2022, 04:02 PM   #24
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

One question I have here is how the picture was taken. If it was a still only, and if both the light and the picture came on by some kind of infrared or sonic trigger - imagine a person just walking by, taken aback by the sudden appearance of a bright light - the apparent headdress a combined artifact of very poor image quality and slow shutter speed, as he recoils.

If the light was already on, it seems unlikely an actual cryptid would have walked right into it.

Of course that's just a speculation too, but better explanations are pretty thin on the ground.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 04:54 PM   #25
Axxman300
Philosopher

Part of my job is looking at security cameras. I have questions:

1: Where is the moving video copy that produced this image?

2: What do the recreations using this camera look like?

3: Why is this image on the internet?

4: Has this image been cropped?

5: What is the nature of this location? (i.e. Is this an animal enclosure, or a perimeter fence?)

6: What did the other cameras show? Are there other cameras in the area? If not, why not?

I monitor a small property with 9 cameras. I can track someone from the time they enter until the time they leave. We have a few blindspots, but all of our entrances are covered.

This feels like a practical joke combined with free publicity, and the usual internet BS.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:10 PM   #26
stanfr
Master Poster

Part of my job is looking at security cameras. I have questions:

1: Where is the moving video copy that produced this image?

2: What do the recreations using this camera look like?

3: Why is this image on the internet?

4: Has this image been cropped?

5: What is the nature of this location? (i.e. Is this an animal enclosure, or a perimeter fence?)

6: What did the other cameras show? Are there other cameras in the area? If not, why not?

I monitor a small property with 9 cameras. I can track someone from the time they enter until the time they leave. We have a few blindspots, but all of our entrances are covered.

This feels like a practical joke combined with free publicity, and the usual internet BS.
I can answer 3 of your questions with the info from the original story. It was not a video cam, it was a motion activated camera, and while they have not clarified it, this may be the only image.
It was facing the perimeter fence, so it is looking outside the enclosed area.
It's on the Internet cause the city of Amarillo posted it on Twitter, looking for suggestions as to what it might be.
Old 18th June 2022, 06:15 PM   #27
stanfr
Master Poster

And speaking of seizing an opportunity for publicity, a security camera company is donating 80 cameras to the zoo to help them with future UAO experiences:

yay for capitalism!
Old 18th June 2022, 08:31 PM   #28
Axxman300
Philosopher

I can answer 3 of your questions with the info from the original story. It was not a video cam, it was a motion activated camera, and while they have not clarified it, this may be the only image.
It was facing the perimeter fence, so it is looking outside the enclosed area.
It's on the Internet cause the city of Amarillo posted it on Twitter, looking for suggestions as to what it might be.
Motion-Activated meaning a trail-cam? My low-end system is motion activated, but records video. And if it's a perimeter fence, then it can be anybody goofing around.
Old 18th June 2022, 09:33 PM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Someone wearing some sort of shaman headdress?

Could just be a costume. Just the first image that popped into my head.
Old 18th June 2022, 09:41 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I went through dozens of replies on the Twitter link to see if anyone applied any computer enhancements. You have to click 'more replies' over and over. There were some enlargements and one person made the image darker. Nothing made it any more clear what we are looking at. People had a lot of absurd ideas as to what it was and a couple that were iffy but not absurd.

Off-topic joke: there's a hilarious comparison of Drumpf walking juxtaposed next to the famous Bigfoot film. They match quite well. If it wasn't off-topic I'd post a link but alas, jokes can go either way in the mods' minds these days.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 05:05 AM   #31
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I went through dozens of replies on the Twitter link to see if anyone applied any computer enhancements. You have to click 'more replies' over and over. There were some enlargements and one person made the image darker. Nothing made it any more clear what we are looking at. People had a lot of absurd ideas as to what it was and a couple that were iffy but not absurd.

Off-topic joke: there's a hilarious comparison of Drumpf walking juxtaposed next to the famous Bigfoot film. They match quite well. If it wasn't off-topic I'd post a link but alas, jokes can go either way in the mods' minds these days.
There is another section here where such a thing would be quite welcome, and I'm sure there's more than a few of us who would be happy to view it.
Old 19th June 2022, 01:17 PM   #32
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Someone wearing some sort of shaman headdress?

Could just be a costume. Just the first image that popped into my head.
.... oh.... its, its, its Bison Head Guy.... The Q-Shaman...
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2022, 02:27 PM   #33
stanfr
Master Poster

Motion-Activated meaning a trail-cam? My low-end system is motion activated, but records video.
You'd have to ask the zoo that.

Quote:
And if it's a perimeter fence, then it can be anybody goofing around.
well, yeah that pretty much sums it up.

I wont even bother linking it, cause its insane, but there's a Reddit post from someone who claims to be a zoo keeper there who insists this is the culmination of all sorts of animal disembowelments and other strangeness occurring at the zoo. He says they are all terrified lol (and of course wont go public because of a supposed NDA...yeah, right)
Old 19th June 2022, 06:59 PM   #34
Axxman300
Philosopher

Looking at the Google Maps satellite image, the zoo is pretty small, and is part of an entertainment complex consisting of miniature golf, Frisbee Golf, and a water park. It's north of Route 66.

Here's the thing, if this was some kind of carnivorous creature it would have racked up a body-count of pets, and livestock. And this is Texas, someone would have shot it by now.

Like I said, the zoo is part of an amusement park/entertainment complex. This is a publicity stunt, nothing more. Currently on Youtube, "Dogman" stories are all the rage. I doubt this is a coincidence.
Old 19th June 2022, 07:55 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Looking at the Google Maps satellite image, the zoo is pretty small, and is part of an entertainment complex consisting of miniature golf, Frisbee Golf, and a water park. It's north of Route 66.

Here's the thing, if this was some kind of carnivorous creature it would have racked up a body-count of pets, and livestock. And this is Texas, someone would have shot it by now.

Like I said, the zoo is part of an amusement park/entertainment complex. This is a publicity stunt, nothing more. Currently on Youtube, "Dogman" stories are all the rage. I doubt this is a coincidence.
No, that would be Tennessee!
Old 19th June 2022, 08:46 PM   #36
stanfr
Master Poster

Well, according to the crazy reddit dude, that is exactly what has happened. And of course, since he is basically claiming it is a skinwalker, the bullets would not hit, in fact in his insane post he claims security guards shot at it and it didn't even flinch. SO you see there is an explanation for all your doubts, just as Bigfoot is likely a shapeshifting spirt and not an actual primate
Old 20th June 2022, 10:36 AM   #37
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
My first thought was that that it is a Hopi kachina dancer—although I don't know why such a person would be outside the zoo in ritual garb.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:44 AM   #38
Axxman300
Philosopher

Well, according to the crazy reddit dude, that is exactly what has happened. And of course, since he is basically claiming it is a skinwalker, the bullets would not hit, in fact in his insane post he claims security guards shot at it and it didn't even flinch. SO you see there is an explanation for all your doubts, just as Bigfoot is likely a shapeshifting spirt and not an actual primate
I hate the internet.

That's not how Skinwalkers work.

They come from the Navajo and Ute mythologies/beliefs. They're shape-shifters, and fall into two catagories: elemental beings, and Navajo witches who've gone bad. The elemental beings will take smaller farm animals, like sheep sometimes, but you can leave offerings for them to make them stop.

The main thing about Skinwalker mythology is they are a curse. If you've got a skinwalker problem it's because someone sent them your way. But, and I can't stress this enough, they can't be photographed. Skinwalkers are spirits not bothered by fences. They make you and your family sick, mess with your car, break expensive things, and generally make your life miserable until you get a medicine man/shaman out to the place for some counter-magic spells and so on.

No reason for a skinwalker to be in Texas, let alone stalk a zoo.

You know...if they were real...
Old 20th June 2022, 01:14 PM   #39
p0lka
Master Poster

It's still an ostrich showing its backside with neck down walking 1 o clock, to me.

Last edited by p0lka; 20th June 2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old 20th June 2022, 01:35 PM   #40
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I hate the internet.

That's not how Skinwalkers work.

They come from the Navajo and Ute mythologies/beliefs. They're shape-shifters, and fall into two catagories: elemental beings, and Navajo witches who've gone bad. The elemental beings will take smaller farm animals, like sheep sometimes, but you can leave offerings for them to make them stop.

The main thing about Skinwalker mythology is they are a curse. If you've got a skinwalker problem it's because someone sent them your way. But, and I can't stress this enough, they can't be photographed. Skinwalkers are spirits not bothered by fences. They make you and your family sick, mess with your car, break expensive things, and generally make your life miserable until you get a medicine man/shaman out to the place for some counter-magic spells and so on.

No reason for a skinwalker to be in Texas, let alone stalk a zoo.

You know...if they were real...

Well, if we combine some of the related suggestions and my own, like others, impression of what it first looked like to me. Then it is the medicine man/shaman performing his ritual counter magic dance to rid the site of basically the fears of someone who works there and hired them after binge watching far too much of "The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal